PDA

View Full Version : Shots fired: Woodson says he never needed time outs when he had Joe in Atlanta.

It's A VC3!!!
12-18-2013, 09:54 AM
In the Knicks morning shoot around today, Mike Woodson decided to address the "no timeout" dilemma one more time. This time he decided to essentially say Joe>Carmelo, which we all knew already. Even at 32, I'd take Joe over Carmelo 100 out of 100 times but Woodson was just reassuring that for us. What's going on with the Knicks? When the Nets were losing they never pointed fingers, sulked or lost faith. The Knicks are breaking right before our eyes due to this losing and it's getting ugly.

"I didn't need timeouts with Joe in Atlanta".

sportjames23
12-18-2013, 09:56 AM
Dis gon B gud.

Sarcastic
12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
Translation: Fire me.

Myth
12-18-2013, 09:57 AM
I hate Melo, but this lands on Woodson. Even if what he said is true, you don't say it and you adjust to the players you have.

Myth
12-18-2013, 09:59 AM

Pretty much. I hate it when coaches pull this shit though. If I were running an organization, I would never hire him after pulling a move like this. I expect a coach to be above this shit. If you really want out, go to management and tell them something along the lines of "I'm no longer the right coach for this team."

TheReturn
12-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Source?

niko
12-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Are Nets fans going to rep JJ now? You are really easy to please, he floats through a lot of games, basically sat out the playoffs last year, and he's had a couple of good games in you being way under 500, but he's a fan favorite now.

niko
12-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Source?
NY Post i think. He basically was saying sometimes he did the same thing (which sounds ridiculous considering he forgot by his own admission to call timeout) but Joe bailed him out. That's just great. I suck as a coach, this other guy used to bail me out, why didn't Melo bail me out from my ****up.

:cheers: Good coaching. Garrett level.

poido123
12-18-2013, 10:05 AM

This.

Surely there has to be something already going on in the background. I'd say he has a date to be fired.

It's A VC3!!!
12-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Are Nets fans going to rep JJ now? You are really easy to please, he floats through a lot of games, basically sat out the playoffs last year, and he's had a couple of good games in you being way under 500, but he's a fan favorite now.
Oh come on.. I have never said one bad thing about Joe. Yeah he floats through games but I am the first one to say that's because of our talent and he doesn't get the ball as much as he should. I've praised Joe so much for never missing games. I've chastised Deron, Brook, Paul, Shaun, Garnett, Blatche and Alan, in that order. Very rarely to NEVER have I uttered a bad statement about Joe.

TheReturn
12-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Dude is just begging to get fired. He's wants out.. :lol

rock la familia
12-18-2013, 10:21 AM
this is getting worst thent he lakers last year

Rolando
12-18-2013, 10:24 AM
Ainge would fire him. However, the Knicks are a f-ed up organization. They won't do anything.

r15mohd
12-18-2013, 10:28 AM
someone needs to post a link...could all be fabricated :confusedshrug:

Edit: found it
[QUOTE]

It's A VC3!!!
12-18-2013, 10:39 AM

so misleading OP...smh :rolleyes: :facepalm :no:

What are you talking about you buffoon. Your link says it right there. "I didn't call a timeout because they weren't set. We threw it in and Joe Johnson was able to dribble down and hit a winning shot"

What is "SO" misleading about that?

Im so nba'd out
12-18-2013, 10:45 AM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1209770/boat-sinking-o.gif

chips93
12-18-2013, 10:46 AM
What are you talking about you buffoon. Your link says it right there. "I didn't call a timeout because they weren't set. We threw it in and Joe Johnson was able to dribble down and hit a winning shot"

because the quote doesnt explicitly say that he didnt call timeouts in atlanta just because he had jj, just that they would try attack a defense that wasnt set

r15mohd
12-18-2013, 10:48 AM

this is your title:
"Shots fired: Woodson says he never needed time outs when he had Joe in Atlanta."

this is your quote:

no where does Woodson state he "didn't need timeouts with Joe in Atlanta." He compared scenarios and what Woodson did say was, "I

imdaman99
12-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the misquote stupid OP. Now that the Nets have won a few games, you came out of the woodworks.

Transparency :roll:

Although, I approve of Woodie being fired :cheers: You should tweet this thread at Dolan, OP.

The JKidd Kid
12-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Oh come on.. I have never said one bad thing about Joe. Yeah he floats through games but I am the first one to say that's because of our talent and he doesn't get the ball as much as he should. I've praised Joe so much for never missing games. I've chastised Deron, Brook, Paul, Shaun, Garnett, Blatche and Alan, in that order. Very rarely to NEVER have I uttered a bad statement about Joe.

Exactly, the myth that he floats through games is complete bullshit. The guy wouldn't average 17 PPG if he only showed up in the fourth quarter. Joe Johnson is the only player I haven't criticized too. He's consistent, hes a incredibly versatile scorer, he's the clutchest player in the league, he plays good D, he can run an offense and is a lights out 3 pt shooter. He's probably one of the most underrated players in the league because when people look at him all they see is his contract.

It's A VC3!!!
12-18-2013, 11:02 AM
this is your title:
"Shots fired: Woodson says he never needed time outs when he had Joe in Atlanta."

this is your quote:

no where does Woodson state he "didn't need timeouts with Joe in Atlanta." He compared scenarios and what Woodson did say was, "I’ve let games go like that. In Atlanta, I let a couple of games where I didn’t call a timeout because they weren’t set." This is VERY different than what you were trying to imply in your initial post :facepalm

I got that quote from twitter. I should know by now that these reporters botch titles up but whatever. Do I really care? Nope. Anyways, Woodson should've been done with this topic. Bringing it up again AND bringing Joe Johnson into this is just :facepalm . Come on Woodson. Asking to be fired?

It's A VC3!!!
12-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Exactly, the myth that he floats through games is complete bullshit. The guy wouldn't average 17 PPG if he only showed up in the fourth quarter. Joe Johnson is the only player I haven't criticized too. He's consistent, hes a incredibly versatile scorer, he's the clutchest player in the league, he plays good D, he can run an offense and is a lights out 3 pt shooter. He's probably one of the most underrated players in the league because when people look at him all they see is his contract.
I wasn't disagreeing with niko about "Joe floating through games". I was just disagreeing because he said I ridicule Joe and I never do. Joe does float through games most times but that's only because the dude is not being asked to carry the offense. Joe is playing his role perfectly. He is a spot-up shooter and an occasional isolation player when hot. For him to accept that role makes every Nets fan happy.

r15mohd
12-18-2013, 11:15 AM
I got that quote from twitter. I should know by now that these reporters botch titles up but whatever. Do I really care? Nope. Anyways, Woodson should've been done with this topic. Bringing it up again AND bringing Joe Johnson into this is just :facepalm . Come on Woodson. Asking to be fired?

he has an obligation to respond to reporters...could he have avoided it, sure could have but I appreciate the info in letting us know what his mindsight is on the situation. the decision to not call a timeout had its merit and then it didn't. coaches faulter all the time on calls, fortunate for Woodson, this wasn't that detrimental a game to affect their season IMO.

if they wanted to advance the ball up on the timeout, didn't they have to immediately call for it (the timeout) before inbounding? also, Melo initially rushed for the ball to "catch them off guard" as Woodson suggested, but then jogged up the court soon after...he needed to get over half-court to call a timeout for the ball to be inbounded on the defenses half of the court. kind of a two-fold flop by both Woodson and Melo to me. regardless, if it were me, I'm calling t/o initially and not wasting time off the clock then running a set play for Melo.

it's not a fireable action (lack of action really) as the nYk are an injured squad...this is a RS game in December, not a playoff game with their season on the line. when Chandler plays, their defensive anchor, I'm sure they'll look more the part of a winning nYk team than what we've seen without him.

chocolatethunder
12-18-2013, 11:26 AM
Who gives a shit about Joe Johnson? He's not what anyone would call a clutch playoff performer that's for sure.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-18-2013, 11:37 AM
coaches couldnt call timeouts when woodson coached joe in atl.

Kblaze8855
12-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Pretty pretty misleading. You had him sounding like an ass. His words in context are totally reasonable.

longtime lurker
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
This quote actually makes Woodson look like more of a dumbass.

I<3NBA
12-18-2013, 12:02 PM
OP an asshole for misleading post.

and i was about to clown the Knicks :mad:

hawksdogsbraves
12-18-2013, 01:41 PM
One good game and the Nets are all high on Joe Johnson again :oldlol:

The guy is averaging 16/3/2.5 on 44%fg. If he was a rookie maybe I'd get excited about him, but considering what he gets paid there are very few players in the league you'd want on your team less.

And as for Woodson, the guy was a shit-tier coach in Atlanta, the notion that he doesn't call these timeouts is funny because he doesn't COACH. He sits on his ass and runs iso's and 'coaches' the defense. He was moderately successful in NYC because he has probably the best player in the league for running isolation plays in Melo, but you saw how that style of play falls apart in the playoffs against good defenses.

niko
12-18-2013, 01:53 PM
I wasn't disagreeing with niko about "Joe floating through games". I was just disagreeing because he said I ridicule Joe and I never do. Joe does float through games most times but that's only because the dude is not being asked to carry the offense. Joe is playing his role perfectly. He is a spot-up shooter and an occasional isolation player when hot. For him to accept that role makes every Nets fan happy.
During the playoff series that the Nets needed a little more offense and Joe didn't do crap (not the first time in his career) was he not being asked to carry the offense? Would it have not been better for him to carry the offense?

Joe doesn't carry the offense most nights because Joe could give two shits on the outcome of the game. He's always been like that. There's been tons of games the Nets lose where Joe is "not carrying the offense" where if he did, they'd win.

He went apeshit on a Philly team that had no chance of winning at that point, let's all throw a party for him.

K Xerxes
12-18-2013, 01:55 PM
What exactly is taking so long for Woodson to get fired? I mean, it sounds like he's begging for it, practically trying to part the red sea between himself and the team.

Scholar
12-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Shots never get fired in NY, only chucked.

Dro
12-18-2013, 02:00 PM
The OP was misleading but it wasn't THAT misleading...Woodson did bring up Joe Johnson and he basically said since Melo BEGGED for the ball, he did use the word BEG, that Melo should've known what to do. Saying all of that in the same quote IS a shot at Melo. He just tried to make it seem like it wasn't...I don't even like Melo as a player but this is Woodson's fault...

The JKidd Kid
12-18-2013, 02:03 PM

The idea that he floats through games is absolutely idiotic. This is a guy averaging 16 PPG as a 3rd and sometimes 4th option on offense. He's difinitely not scoring all of his 16 PPG in the 4th. If he was then the media would be all over it.

niko
12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
The idea that he floats through games is absolutely idiotic. This is a guy averaging 16 PPG as a 3rd and sometimes 4th option on offense. He's difinitely not scoring all of his 16 PPG in the 4th. If he was then the media would be all over it.
Do you watch the Nets? There are games he doesn't touch the ball for long periods of times just standing there. He's a very good player, but he definitely floats at times. He always has. Is this the JJ from the Hawks or a different player?

Teanett
12-18-2013, 02:50 PM
amar'e drama:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/51437/opening-tip-amare-drama-for-woody

The JKidd Kid
12-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Do you watch the Nets? There are games he doesn't touch the ball for long periods of times just standing there. He's a very good player, but he definitely floats at times. He always has. Is this the JJ from the Hawks or a different player?

Sure he doesn't touch the ball every posession. That's because he's a 3rd option playing next to a ball dominant PG and a post up big man. There's only so many touches to go around. what I'm saying is that he does contribute throughout the game, not just in the 4th.

niko
12-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Sure he doesn't touch the ball every posession. That's because he's a 3rd option playing next to a ball dominant PG and a post up big man. There's only so many touches to go around. what I'm saying is that he does contribute throughout the game, not just in the 4th.
He contributes often. We aren't talking in absolutes. But there are also games where for large portions he is a spectator. It's just true. Go back and watch the Milwaukee game last year he hit the big shots, or the Washington game. In the Washington game he literally stood off to the side until he hit the big shot.

He scored 30 pts in a qtr against an awful team that wanted to lose. WOW. Awe inspiring. Totally makes up for hte playoff noshow.

Nets fan 93
12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
He did not sit out the playoffs. He was incredibly clutch in game 4 the teams just ran out of gas. No nets fans will fault him for FIGHTING THROUGH INJURY. Gtho

nathanjizzle
12-18-2013, 03:35 PM
carmelo is an idiot. how many good coaches and teams has he played for yet he takes no blame for their failures. ship his dumbass out to the bobcats where no one expects him to perform.

Black and White
12-18-2013, 03:58 PM
In the Knicks morning shoot around today, Mike Woodson decided to address the "no timeout" dilemma one more time. This time he decided to essentially say Joe>Carmelo, which we all knew already. Even at 32, I'd take Joe over Carmelo 100 out of 100 times but Woodson was just reassuring that for us. What's going on with the Knicks? When the Nets were losing they never pointed fingers, sulked or lost faith. The Knicks are breaking right before our eyes due to this losing and it's getting ugly.

:facepalm No way in hell I would pick him over Melo

NYCPG
12-18-2013, 04:17 PM
LOL Joe Johnson better than Melo. Joe Johnson couldn't lead the Nets past a team where Nate Robinson was the best player. Yes, Nate Robinson. Where was JJ when the Knicks blew out the Nets by 30? Joe Johnson is a shittier less physical version of Melo. He chucks up bad shots and unlike Melo, he isn't good at it.

The JKidd Kid
12-18-2013, 04:51 PM
LOL Joe Johnson better than Melo. Joe Johnson couldn't lead the Nets past a team where Nate Robinson was the best player. Yes, Nate Robinson. Where was JJ when the Knicks blew out the Nets by 30? Joe Johnson is a shittier less physical version of Melo. He chucks up bad shots and unlike Melo, he isn't good at it.

Honestly it's like you can't comprehend English.

It's A VC3!!!
12-18-2013, 05:52 PM
During the playoff series that the Nets needed a little more offense and Joe didn't do crap (not the first time in his career) was he not being asked to carry the offense? Would it have not been better for him to carry the offense?

Joe doesn't carry the offense most nights because Joe could give two shits on the outcome of the game. He's always been like that. There's been tons of games the Nets lose where Joe is "not carrying the offense" where if he did, they'd win.

He went apeshit on a Philly team that had no chance of winning at that point, let's all throw a party for him.
Wait, the series that he had plantar facetious? The guy was limping. I cut him a break. And plus, he balled out of his mind in game four.

NYCPG
12-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Honestly it's like you can't comprehend English.
You clearly don't know shit about basketball

DStebb716
12-18-2013, 10:25 PM

so misleading OP...smh :rolleyes: :facepalm :no:

Wow. The whole quote is ten times worse. He says Melo "begged" for the ball. Melo stared at your for at least two seconds, bro. **** this garbage.