PDA

View Full Version : Asik Trade - Cavs, Rockets and Celtics in Talks

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Possibly a three-team trade. I would guess something along the lines of the Rockets getting Varejao, Celtics getting Asik and the Cavs get something from the Celtics? Who knows, I just hope we don't trade Waiters, Thompson and I hope we don't get Asik.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/story/Cavs-talking-with-Rockets-Celtics-as-pot?blockID=973899&feedID=3725

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Apparently Celtics are talking about giving up a 1st rounder with Bass. If we get Waiters Ill forgive ainge for throwing the first rounder

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Apparently Celtics are talking about giving up a 1st rounder with Bass. If we get Waiters Ill forgive ainge for throwing the first rounder
If the Cavs got a first rounder with Bass for Waiters I'm going to :facepalm.

Shade8780
12-18-2013, 06:24 PM
If it's the Clippers 2015 1st, than yeah, but no way if it's one of ours or Brooklyn's.

MP.Trey
12-18-2013, 06:27 PM
If the Cavs got a first rounder with Bass for Waiters I'm going to :facepalm.
Yeah that would be terrible. I'm not to keen on the idea of Asik either. :confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Possibly a three-team trade. I would guess something along the lines of the Rockets getting Varejao, Celtics getting Asik and the Cavs get something from the Celtics? Who knows, I just hope we don't trade Waiters, Thompson and I hope we don't get Asik.

http://www.foxsportsohio.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/story/Cavs-talking-with-Rockets-Celtics-as-pot?blockID=973899&feedID=3725
Jeff Green?

I can't fathom what other piece the Cavs could possibly want from the Celtics. We need a Sf.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:28 PM
Another PF.

Yeah, that's exactly what we need. :facepalm

I hope to god this isn't true.

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Jeff Green?

I can't fathom what other piece the Cavs could possibly want from the Celtics. We need a Sf.
I don't think we are giving up Green if we are giving up our 1st round pick

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Another PF.

Yeah, that's exactly what we need. :facepalm
I don't know where Bass is heading, but apparently he is one of the pieces Celtics put out there

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Jeff Green?

If Green get's traded I would think the Celtics get more back than just Asik. I thought Green was close to untouchable because he's part of their future.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't know where Bass is heading, but apparently he is one of the pieces Celtics put out there
Would make more sense for the Rockets to get him honestly. He's exactly the type of PF they need.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:31 PM
I don't think we are giving up Green if we are giving up our 1st round pick
I would tend to agree with you. But, literally the last thing this team needs is another PF, although Bass is a stretch 4 which would help spacing. Still, I can't imagine the Cavs making a trade for anything other than a SF. Green is the only guy who makes sense to me.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:33 PM
Uh-oh.

Celtics trade rumors: Jeff Green in play for Omer Asik, according to report (http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/12/18/5223150/omer-asik-jeff-green-celtics-trade-rumors-rockets)

Like I said, this would be the only thing that would make sense for the Cavs... If Green is involved in the deal.

One such possible scenario involves the Cleveland Cavaliers as the third team, Stein says. In the deal, the Cavs would take on Green, the Celtics would land Asik and the Rockets would nab at least one future first-round pick, likely from Cleveland. Other players would have to be involved to match salaries.

That would be a great move for the Cavs. Getting Green for future picks? Yes please.

MP.Trey
12-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Now, Jeff Green.. I would be ecstatic about. :cheers:

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:36 PM
Forgive me for salivating.

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - CJ Miles
SF - Jeff Green
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Andrew Bynum

Bench:
Dion Waiters
Anderson Varejao
Jarrett Jack
Alonzo Gee
Earl Clark

:eek:

Shade8780
12-18-2013, 06:37 PM
That trade would be a steal for the Cavs.

In other news, why the **** does Danny want Asik?! We're just taking on another big contract which doesnt help for a rebuilding team. We could be trading Green for future picks and then getting a big man in the Draft (Embiid :D) but Danny seems set on wanting to win now for some reason.

DStebb716
12-18-2013, 06:38 PM
I see something like:

Cleveland gets: Brandon Bass, a first from Boston, a second from Houston.
Boston gets: Omer Asik
Houston gets: Courtney Lee, Anderson Varejao.

Saw a report last night that the Celtics didn't want to move Green, but if they are willing to move him it changes things.

Cleveland would likely have to be moving Varejao to make the salaries work. Maybe they move him out and bring in Green along with a first from Boston?

Shade8780
12-18-2013, 06:38 PM

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - CJ Miles
SF - Jeff Green
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Andrew Bynum

Bench:
Dion Waiters
Anderson Varejao
Jarrett Jack
Alonzo Gee
Earl Clark

Would look much nicer if you guys had taken Dipo instead of out-of-the-rotation, Anthony "the bust" Bennett.

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Cavs give us Waiters pls

Black and White
12-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Come on Danny!!!! Somehow please pull Waiters out of this

RedBlackAttack
Cavs give us Waiters pls
Waiters should not be on the block, imo. He has looked great recently and he's still so young. I like Jeff Green and I even like his fit on this team, but I don't think I'd be in favor of giving up Waiters for him at this stage.

The Cavs giving up multiple first round picks would make more sense, since we own a lot of them.

Would look much nicer if you guys had taken Dipo instead of out-of-the-rotation, Anthony "the bust" Bennett.

What's that have to do with this trade? Also, Dipo would be in a serious fight for minutes in the rotation of Irving/Waiters/Miles/Jack.

He's in a much better situation in Orlando. He'd be redundant here.

Meticode

PG - Kyrie Irving
SG - CJ Miles
SF - Jeff Green
PF - Tristan Thompson
C - Andrew Bynum

Bench:
Dion Waiters
Anderson Varejao
Jarrett Jack
Alonzo Gee
Earl Clark

Who am I missing that we give up in this trade with that lineup you posted? More than Anthony Bennett I would think?

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:44 PM
That trade would be a steal for the Cavs.

In other news, why the **** does Danny want Asik?! We're just taking on another big contract which doesnt help for a rebuilding team. We could be trading Green for future picks and then getting a big man in the Draft (Embiid :D) but Danny seems set on wanting to win now for some reason.
The funny thing is Bill Simmons on Twitter said he wants Danny to do this to get the third seed in the East (unless he was joking), because on Grantland literally 1-2 weeks ago he said "I wouldn't trade for Asik" Because of how he's quit on the Rockets and the attitude he's shown.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:45 PM
I see something like:

Saw a report last night that the Celtics didn't want to move Green, but if they are willing to move him it changes things.

Cleveland would likely have to be moving Varejao to make the salaries work. Maybe they move him out and bring in Green along with a first from Boston?
I just don't see the Cavs making this move for another PF to throw on the pile... even if it's a stretch 4.

This has got to be about Green. It is the only thing that makes sense... and it makes a lot of sense for the Cavs. We have no starting caliber SF on the roster.

Shade8780
12-18-2013, 06:45 PM
What's that have to do with this trade? Also, Dipo would be in a serious fight for minutes in the rotation of Irving/Waiters/Miles/Jack.

He's in a much better situation in Orlando. He'd be redundant here.
Nothing at all :D

Shade8780
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 1m
Celtics, Rockets still haggling over which future first-round pick goes to Houston in Asik deal, sources tell Yahoo.

Please be the Clippers pick...

Pushxx
12-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I see something like:

The value is pretty even all around. The Celtics are giving a hair more and Houston is getting the most bang for their buck.

But does Houston want Courtney Lee again? What is Boston gonna do with Asik?

We'll see.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:49 PM
If we get Green and still keep Waiters I will :bowdown: to Chris Grant. He's exactly what we would need at SF. A big athletic three, that is a vet and still only 27 years old. In actuality if we traded Varejao for him we technically get even younger as a team, but Green is still a 5 year vet. And not only that, but he shoots the three at a 40% clip and has been doing so the last two years.

DStebb716
12-18-2013, 06:49 PM
I just don't see the Cavs making this move for another PF to throw on the pile... even if it's a stretch 4.

This has got to be about Green. It is the only thing that makes sense... and it makes a lot of sense for the Cavs. We have no starting caliber SF on the roster.

Sure, but the only issue is that they have no way to even out the salaries bringing him in without giving up Varajao. Gee HAS to be on the move in this deal for salary reasons. Maybe even Tyler Zeler.

Who is going to play the PF position in Houston? I assume they're doing this deal to bring one back.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Sure, but the only issue is that they have no way to even out the salaries bringing him in without giving up Varajao. Gee HAS to be on the move in this deal for salary reasons. Maybe even Tyler Zeler.

Who is going to play the PF position in Houston? I assume they're doing this deal to bring one back.
If we get Green, I would have absolutely no problem with Varejao going to Houston or whoever.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:55 PM

You're right. And I'd give up Andy and Gee for Green.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass and a first round pick (not 2014) will go to Houston for Omer Asik. Deal is close, reports Boston Globe.

https://twitter.com/BrettNBA/status/413438758474625024

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
FYI, Cavs have future firsts from the Kings and Grizz they could use to lure in Green.

I'm officially excited.

Shade8780
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Oh shit. If it's the 2015 Clippers pick, this will be a pretty good deal.

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
The Brooklyn nets picks better not be touched either :no:

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
Damn it.

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 07:02 PM
If Green is staying then our team would be nice when Rondo comes back :banana:

ballup
12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
So now it's just the Rockets and the Celtics trading between one another?

Meticode
12-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Possibly, they're not sure where the players are going, the only for sure thing is the Celtics would get Asik, still rumors of a third team involved per what Boston Globe says.

DStebb716
12-18-2013, 07:07 PM

The contracts would work out perfectly.

G-train
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM
Asik is amazingly overrated now.
No offensive game, and basically a hard worker on D and boards.
Add to that he is now a proven cry baby and selfish team mate.

hawksdogsbraves
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM

Looks like it.

Green wouldve made a lot of sense for the Cavs.

I like this trade though, Bass is a serviceable 4, (I hope they don't take too many minutes from Jones though, he's a really good player) and Lee is a great bench guy. For the Celtics Asik could be a really good piece to build around, they're rebuilding the right way. Just need the lottery balls to fall in their favor and they'll be in good shape.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Asik is amazingly overrated now.
No offensive game, and basically a hard worker on D and boards.
Add to that he is now a proven cry baby and selfish team mate.
He's overpaid, but no one is overrating him at all. I think what you explained is exactly what everyone thinks of Asik. So the Celtics know what they're getting and everyone knows what they're trading for.

HomieWeMajor
12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Brandon Bass will be a nice stretch 4 in Houston. His midrange J is wetter than a white housewife's pussi around a young black male. Courtney can be a 3&D guy.

Pushxx
12-18-2013, 07:14 PM
The only reason why this is okay for the Celtics is because Courtney Lee just doesn't fit on the roster anymore, now or after rebuilding.

Asik fills a need since the Celtics are filled with PFs and only one rookie center.

ballup
12-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Rondo will make him look alright offensively anyways. It's not a bad deal for the Celtics considering that they don't need Bass and Lee anymore.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 07:30 PM
Looks like Cavs are out of discussions...

It appears #Cavs, once involved in trade talks with #Rockets and #Celtics, done with discussions, at least for day. Y! Sports also reporting

https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/413450499908583425

Also Woj reports there is no third team involve in the talks as of right now.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 07:49 PM
Looks like Cavs are out of discussions...

https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/413450499908583425

Also Woj reports there is no third team involve in the talks as of right now.
I loved the idea of going after Green, but better to make no deal than a bad one. Also glad that it appears Waiters is not on the table.

Hell, who knows... If the Cavs really want Green, who would be a perfect fit, that could be done in a separate trade later on.

longtime lurker
12-18-2013, 08:03 PM
I see no point in this if you're the Celtics unless they're trying to make the playoffs. Asik is a very good player, maybe even a game changer on defense, but he's not worth giving up and screw up your changes of tanking. Celtics are in a position where they should be accumulating more picks. As for the Rockets I don't see what Bass does that you don't already get with Terrence Jones.

ProfessorMurder
12-18-2013, 08:14 PM
I see no point in this if you're the Celtics unless they're trying to make the playoffs. Asik is a very good player, maybe even a game changer on defense, but he's not worth giving up and screw up your changes of tanking. Celtics are in a position where they should be accumulating more picks. As for the Rockets I don't see what Bass does that you don't already get with Terrence Jones.

You aren't in the position to tank when you're playing under 500, still leading the division, and your best player hasn't played yet.

Meticode
12-18-2013, 08:15 PM
The Celtics aren't tanking though. Brad Stevens has done a great job on making that team competitive with their best player not even playing.

longtime lurker
12-18-2013, 08:21 PM
You aren't in the position to tank when you're playing under 500, still leading the division, and your best player hasn't played yet.

The Celtics aren't tanking though. Brad Stevens has done a great job on making that team competitive with their best player not even playing.

Any team can put themselves in a position to tank if they're serious about it. All you have to do is move your vets and play your young guys. The titanic division isn't going to suck the whole season. Eventually one of the other teams will pick it up. Either way I don't see the point in giving up a pick, Rockets were under the gun and Asik doesn't put the Celtics in a position where they absolutely have to give up a pick to get him.

$LakerGold
12-18-2013, 08:23 PM
Has OKC offered Perkins for Asik?

Meticode
12-18-2013, 08:24 PM
Hard contract to move becuase he has two years left on it I think, plus it doesn't fit anything Houston wants.

$LakerGold
12-18-2013, 08:27 PM
Hard contract to move becuase he has two years left on it I think, plus it doesn't fit anything Houston wants.
They can get their needs elsewhere, it's somewhat an even trade; who knows how's Perkins going to do as Dwight's backup. Both have 2 years left on their contract.

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 08:28 PM
thats a horrible trade for houston

$LakerGold
12-18-2013, 08:30 PM
thats a horrible trade for houston
Who knows. I just want the OKC to get Asik. I'm not saying just trade them straight-up, they can always renegotiate.

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 08:33 PM
Who knows. I just want the OKC to get Asik. I'm not saying just trade them straight-up, they can always renegotiate.
Andy V could be a nice fit for OKC

$LakerGold
12-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Who?

CelticBaller
12-18-2013, 08:37 PM
Who?
http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/anderson-varejao-very-girlish-side.jpg

$LakerGold
12-18-2013, 08:41 PM
Oh, wtf. lol

He should be great too. Both an upgrade of Perkins.

longtime lurker
12-18-2013, 08:50 PM
Andy V could be a nice fit for OKC

I'm pretty sure just sitting Perkins would be an upgrade for OKC.

G-train
12-18-2013, 11:37 PM
He's overpaid, but no one is overrating him at all. I think what you explained is exactly what everyone thinks of Asik. So the Celtics know what they're getting and everyone knows what they're trading for.

then why Bass, Lee and first rounder? :confusedshrug:

GOBB
12-18-2013, 11:43 PM
I'll be one pissed goober if Asik is traded and Sixers arent involved. F*ck Houston for using us. I want to see different players dammit.

ballup
12-18-2013, 11:44 PM
then why Bass, Lee and first rounder? :confusedshrug:
Bass is a stretch 4 that the Rockets would like to be paired with Howard. Lee is a defensive oriented wing that the Rockets would like coming off the bench. First rounder, does that even need an explanation?

secund2nun
12-18-2013, 11:47 PM
Cleveland trading Andy away and not getting Asik would be a fail. No Knees Bynum will eventually get injured. They should try to swap out Andy for Asik in this deal. Get a healthy consistent center.

RedBlackAttack
12-18-2013, 11:50 PM
Cleveland trading Andy away and not getting Asik would be a fail. No Knees Bynum will eventually get injured. They should try to swap out Andy for Asik in this deal. Get a healthy consistent center.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole reason Asik wants out of Houston because he doesn't want to play behind Howard?

He would be playing behind Bynum without a doubt.

Also, the Cavs don't currently need interior defense. They need shooting and a starting caliber SF. The only way I see the Cavs making a deal is if Jeff Green is coming back in return.

And, I'd take a swap of Andy for Green... and I love me some Varejao.

BallsOut
12-19-2013, 12:01 AM
Two solid bench players + a 1st round pick for a starting Center that demands to be off the team. Man Morey always rapes the other team in trades

:biggums:

KyrieTheFuture
12-19-2013, 12:07 AM
I feel like Asik is undervalued here

RedBlackAttack
12-19-2013, 12:09 AM
He'd be great in the right situation. But, on a team devoid of offense in their frontcourt, he's not going to help that cause. Excellent interior defender, though.

If he were willing to come off the bench, I'd love to have him in Cleveland. That seems not to be the case, though.

LilEddyCurry
12-19-2013, 12:10 AM
Morey just followed Milsap on twitter :eek:

$LakerGold
12-19-2013, 12:11 AM
It's more like me hoping the OKC would attempt to STEAL Asik from the Rockets with the Perkins trade.

secund2nun
12-19-2013, 12:12 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the whole reason Asik wants out of Houston because he doesn't want to play behind Howard?

He would be playing behind Bynum without a doubt.

Also, the Cavs don't currently need interior defense. They need shooting and a starting caliber SF. The only way I see the Cavs making a deal is if Jeff Green is coming back in return.

And, I'd take a swap of Andy for Green... and I love me some Varejao.

You are right that Asik does not want to play with Howard, but if Andy were traded for Asik you would have Asik and Bynum. Unlike Howard, Bynum can only play a limited amount of minutes a game so Asik would be the sole center for large parts of the game. Plus Asik is currently better than this limited version of Bynum.

Right now with Andy and Bynum Cleveland is fine in interior defense, but if Cleveland only had Bynum at center the interior defense would suffer greatly because Bynum can't play most of the game....plus if Bynum gets injured that would leave Cleveland with no center.

If Bynum stayed healthy and returned to somewhere near his old self trading Andy for Green would not be bad, but I think Bynum gets injured again so Cleveland will be screwed if Andy is traded for Jeff Green imo. Also I think Andy is a much better bball player than Green. If I was gonna trade Andy away I'd get a better player than Green.

ABfor3
12-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Morey just followed Milsap on twitter :eek:
Just saw that too! Man that would be crazy if we got Milsap, always liked his game. Just that contract is pretty hefty, considering the Rockets need the money for Parsons extension.

El Kabong
12-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Asik for Millsap was a deal Simmons posted on whatever NBA TV show he does. Collins didn't like it as much, thinking it'd leave the Rockets a big short.

bdreason
12-19-2013, 12:32 AM

I hope all they get for Asik is Bass and Lee. :applause:

$LakerGold
12-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Asik for Millsap was a deal Simmons posted on whatever NBA TV show he does. Collins didn't like it as much, thinking it'd leave the Rockets a big short.
A stretch 4 :confusedshrug:

Rockets :applause:

El Kabong
12-19-2013, 12:58 AM
A stretch 4 :confusedshrug:

Rockets :applause:
I think he meant it more as a big short in terms of not having anyone decent off the bench if Howard gets into foul trouble/injured, since Motiejunas will be their only other 7 footer if Asik is traded.

YouGotServed
12-19-2013, 01:22 AM
lol @ anyone saying Bass is "exactly" what the Rockets need. :oldlol: What does this guy do other than shoot open jumpers? Rockets already have Casspi for that. Bass is a horrible defender, bad one on one defender, below average help defender, soft and he's extremely undersized. He doesn't provide anything other than his mid-range jumper. Houston doesn't even shoot that many mid-range shots. Even if they did, Casspi provides that and more. So I ask again. How is Bass "exactly" the player Houston needs?

:confusedshrug:

salwan
12-19-2013, 03:07 AM
I don't like Asik's contract :(

BlackWhiteGreen
12-19-2013, 08:22 AM
lol @ anyone saying Bass is "exactly" what the Rockets need. :oldlol: What does this guy do other than shoot open jumpers? Rockets already have Casspi for that. Bass is a horrible defender, bad one on one defender, below average help defender, soft and he's extremely undersized. He doesn't provide anything other than his mid-range jumper. Houston doesn't even shoot that many mid-range shots. Even if they did, Casspi provides that and more. So I ask again. How is Bass "exactly" the player Houston needs?

All so very incredibly wrong.

YouGotServed
12-19-2013, 09:43 AM
All so very incredibly wrong.

How so?

I forgot to add this guy is also a poor rebounder. He doesn't bring anything to the table except his jumper. The last thing Houston wants to do is shoot a long 2. Don't understand why would Houston trade for this guy.

fragokota
12-19-2013, 09:58 AM
Someone is gonna get raped in this trade, and this ain't Boston...

ballup
12-19-2013, 10:11 AM

Sounds like he fits in already, especially the weak defense and the soft parts.

beasting
12-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Bass is a horrible defender

- Bass owns the best defensive rating on the team as the Celtics allow 98.1 points per 100 possessions when he's on the court. That's three points below the team's season average (101.1) and that rating spikes to 105.8 when Bass is off the floor.

- Bass also tops the team in points allowed per possession, giving up 0.694 points per play, according to Synergy Sports data. That ranks him in the 90th percentile among all NBA players, but narrow it down to those with at least 150 possessions defended and Bass ranks fifth in the NBA behind only Roy Hibbert, Tiago Splitter, Serge Ibaka and Chris Paul.

- Opponents score against Bass on a mere 32.1 percent of total possessions. Bass is exceptional at limiting his shooting fouls (only 3.6 percent of total possessions defended), which drives his score percentage down. Only Splitter (31.9 percent) has better numbers of those over the 150-possessions threshold. Opponents are shooting just 34.6 percent overall against Bass this season.

[ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4708841/blue-collar-bass-still-punching-the-clock)]

Mr Exlax
12-19-2013, 10:18 AM
Unless Bass has magically gotten better since he got traded from the Orlando Magic (pun not really intended, but it's still funny), I don't want him for Asik. His defense is suspect. He can only hit open jumpers. He can't really rebound for shit because he's short. He can't post up at all. He's not even better than TJones now. We'd be trading Asik for nothing. Give me Jeff Green all day and tomorrow.

YouGotServed
12-19-2013, 10:32 AM
- Bass owns the best defensive rating on the team as the Celtics allow 98.1 points per 100 possessions when he's on the court. That's three points below the team's season average (101.1) and that rating spikes to 105.8 when Bass is off the floor.

- Bass also tops the team in points allowed per possession, giving up 0.694 points per play, according to Synergy Sports data. That ranks him in the 90th percentile among all NBA players, but narrow it down to those with at least 150 possessions defended and Bass ranks fifth in the NBA behind only Roy Hibbert, Tiago Splitter, Serge Ibaka and Chris Paul.

- Opponents score against Bass on a mere 32.1 percent of total possessions. Bass is exceptional at limiting his shooting fouls (only 3.6 percent of total possessions defended), which drives his score percentage down. Only Splitter (31.9 percent) has better numbers of those over the 150-possessions threshold. Opponents are shooting just 34.6 percent overall against Bass this season.

[ESPN (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/post/_/id/4708841/blue-collar-bass-still-punching-the-clock)]

:applause: This is definitely good news to hear, but I still don't think Houston should trade for him. So he's not a total defensive liability? That isn't good enough. What will he contribute other than his mid-range game? The article also mentioned he's a poor rebounder. The last thing Houston needs is another undersized big who cannot rebound.

Sounds like he fits in already, especially the weak defense and the soft parts.

This makes 0 sense. You trade for pieces you need. If Houston is soft and weak defensively why would they trade for Bass? They should be trading for someone who is a defensive specialist at the 4/5 spot. So he actually doesn't fit. If you're going to troll do it right. Atta boy though. Good job good effort I guess? :confusedshrug:

Unless Bass has magically gotten better since he got traded from the Orlando Magic (pun not really intended, but it's still funny), I don't want him for Asik. His defense is suspect. He can only hit open jumpers. He can't really rebound for shit because he's short. He can't post up at all. He's not even better than TJones now. We'd be trading Asik for nothing. Give me Jeff Green all day and tomorrow.

Exactly. I don't want to hate on the guy but he's useless if his jumper isn't falling. I'm all ears though, if I'm missing something by all means let me know.

Mr Exlax
12-19-2013, 10:34 AM
Exactly. I don't want to hate on the guy but he's useless if his jumper isn't falling. I'm all ears though, if I'm missing something by all means let me know.

I haven't watched him in Boston, but I did while he was with Orlando. Back when they were my team. He doesn't suck, but yeah if the jumper isn't falling, he's useless. At least TJones can handle the rock a little, can defend and rebound and him and Dwight look really good when he's throwing him the lob. Give me Jeff Green. He'd be sooooooo nasty coming off the bench.

ballup
12-19-2013, 11:34 AM
This makes 0 sense. You trade for pieces you need. If Houston is soft and weak defensively why would they trade for Bass? They should be trading for someone who is a defensive specialist at the 4/5 spot. So he actually doesn't fit. If you're going to troll do it right. Atta boy though. Good job good effort I guess? :confusedshrug:

You make zero cents!

This is your own team and you don't see the desire to get a stretch 4 in order for Howard to have more room to work down low? :kobe:

Mr Exlax
12-19-2013, 11:50 AM
You make zero cents!

This is your own team and you don't see the desire to get a stretch 4 in order for Howard to have more room to work down low? :kobe:

Because we have enough offense. TJones is giving Dwight enough room to operate. Bass isn't gonna stretch the defense out that much more. Ryan Anderson would though. Plus, I'm still gonna say Bass is suspect on defense and that's what we actually need. Defenders.

BlackVVaves
12-19-2013, 11:54 AM
Because we have enough offense. TJones is giving Dwight enough room to operate. Bass isn't gonna stretch the defense out that much more. Ryan Anderson would though. Plus, I'm still gonna say Bass is suspect on defense and that's what we actually need. Defenders.

3 team deal:

Asik to Boston.
Jeff Green to NO.
Ryan Anderson to Houston.

Everyone's happy.

InfiniteBaskets
12-19-2013, 12:02 PM
3 team deal:

Asik to Boston.
Jeff Green to NO.

Everyone's happy.

I think NO is happy with the Anderson - Davis duo right now. They've already got good perimeter offensive talent as well with Jrue, Gordon, and Evans.

Mr Exlax
12-19-2013, 12:13 PM
3 team deal:

Asik to Boston.
Jeff Green to NO.

Everyone's happy.

I want Jeff Green though. I dunno why. He'd be so nasty coming off our bench.

YouGotServed
12-19-2013, 12:39 PM
You make zero cents!

:biggums: Stretch 4? I already addressed this. You even quoted me.

I'd be more than willing to trade for Bass if he had size, defense, or rebounds. But he doesn't.

Casspi is taller, more mobile, can shoot the 3. What can Bass do that Casspi can't?

CelticBaller
12-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Bass is trash, get him out already

kurple
12-19-2013, 12:52 PM
anyone care to give me an update on this?

what players are involved?

Greens value should be MUUCH higher than Asik

Mr Exlax
12-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Why should it be MUUUUUCH higher? What's harder to come by in the NBA these days? An athletic wing that can score or an elite defensive center and a really good rebounder that's young and healthy? I'll say Green is better player, but his value can't be higher than Asik's.

CelticBaller
12-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Bass and Lee are rumored to be the only players. Green was in talks for a 3 way trade with the Cavs involved

gts
12-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Being reported/tweeted that the Rockets are stepping away, will not be trading Asik at this time...

Posturing? or have the talks actually stalled...

rezznor
12-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Being reported/tweeted that the Rockets are stepping away, will not be trading Asik at this time...

Morey won't be bullied into taking a trade he doesn't like, also the deadline to trade and still be able to trade again in February is tomorrow, not today.

hawkfan
12-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Morey won't be bullied into taking a trade he doesn't like, also the deadline to trade and still be able to trade again in February is tomorrow, not today.

He can also try to see if he can get Howard and Asik to work together somehow, although that may be a real stretch.

Sometimes when the trade talk gets really loud guys view things differently.

If Howard and Asik could play together, defensively the Rockets are a tough team.

rezznor
12-19-2013, 02:26 PM
He can also try to see if he can get Howard and Asik to work together somehow, although that may be a real stretch.

If Howard and Asik could play together, defensively the Rockets are a tough team.
yeah, i honestly wouldnt take that boston deal unless it included this year's pick, but i understand why boston wouldn't do that either. i'd rather hold on to asik at this point. we still have until february to get something done. plenty of time.

i did meet asik last week at the rocket's christmas event and he didn't look too happy.

Solefade
12-19-2013, 02:26 PM

Don't think this would ever work. They're too offensively impotent to be on the floor together and any stretch 4 would give either of them serious issues.

They're no 09-10 Pau/Bynum duo thats for sure.

j3lademaster
12-19-2013, 02:34 PM
He's overpaid Isn't his contract 25m for 3 years? How's that overpaid? Man proved he can average a double double with elite defensive anchoring. Mcgee signed 4 years for 44m, Deandre Jordan has a similar contract, Hibbert is maxed (or close to it). You want a legit center who's decent you have to pay for it these days that's just how it is.

hawkfan
12-19-2013, 02:44 PM
Asik is stuck in a bad environment, in that he is a quality, young center who can get a double-double any given night but there are so many teams out there trying to tank and lose to get a high draft pick.

A bunch of team are like, "Asik? Great player, but he hurts us getting Wiggins, Parker or Randle."

gts
12-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Didn't the Rockets back load his contract offer to steal him away from the Bulls?

rezznor
12-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Didn't the Rockets back load his contract offer to steal him away from the Bulls?
15 mil the last year, but only 8 mil counts against the cap

boozehound
12-19-2013, 02:55 PM

I wouldnt trade him for bass and lee. Especially since any pick will be the clips very low 1st rounder. The deadline of today was so they could potentially repackage any players before the trade deadline. I dont see a huge demand for either lee or bass around the rest of the league, so why force a deal by today.

brantonli
12-19-2013, 03:09 PM
IMO there just isn't enough interest in Asik. If Morey could get at least 2 teams interested, then he could play them off each other but:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 20m
Y! Sources: For now, Houston backs away from Omer Asik trade talks. Self-imposed deadline of today will pass. http://yhoo.it/1dppc7Y

Houston needs to buy more time to find a deal. Rockets weren't dealing from a place of leverage now, and rest of league knew it.

Houston GM Daryl Morey has also informed Asik's agent, Arn Tellem, that he's ended talks about a trade for his client, source tells Yahoo.

Houston has found too many teams leery of Asik's contract next season, and hasn't found a deal it wants.

Along with Boston, Philadelphia remains very involved in the Omer Asik talks with Houston, league sources tell Yahoo.

Celtics, Rockets still haggling over which future first-round pick goes to Houston in Asik deal, sources tell Yahoo

Serious talks on Boston-Houston package for Asik have included Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee and a 1st round pick, sources tell Yahoo.

So basically the Celtics wanted the Rockets to give them their no 1 pick, whilst the Rockets most likely demanded the Celtics 2nd round pick or something, and both sides know how valuable rookie level contracts are and are unwilling to budge. Morey didn't like the deals, and honestly, if you are getting Bass and Courtney Lee, it's kind of unlikely they'll be traded at teh trade deadline unless a team gets devastated at the SG/PF spots.

Mr Exlax
12-19-2013, 04:00 PM
I'm glad we didn't take a PF other than Milsap. I would've been pissed. I wonder if Asik is refusing to play though. I'd rather some uninspired play for a few minutes out of him than none at all.

gts
12-19-2013, 04:14 PM

15 mil the last year, but only 8 mil counts against the capaha ok I knew something was up... thanx

Kind of interesting the very same poison pill they dropped on Chicago to wrestle him away is the one now hindering his trade

here's a blub

"$8.3 million cap hit his contract brings next season. Whatever team gets Asik will have to pay him $15 million in actual money in 2014-15 because of the balloon payment built into Asik's weird contract, and that payment is a meaningful obstacle in the ongoing talks, per several sources."

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/85751/is-anyone-willing-to-pay-for-omer-asik

InfiniteBaskets
12-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Asik hasn't played in the past few games due to "injury". If he's not traded anytime soon, is Houston just going to sit him out for the rest of the season?

Seems like they're doing the same with Jeremy Lin, although not sure if Lin is really still injured. If not, that's $30M next year de-activated :lol

GOBB
12-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Any team that is not a contender giving up a first round pick for Asik is a moron.

Glad Sixers didnt give up a first. Why the hell we got to give you a first plus Hawes or Thad for Asik? Get out of here. :no:

RedBlackAttack
12-19-2013, 06:55 PM
You are right that Asik does not want to play with Howard, but if Andy were traded for Asik you would have Asik and Bynum. Unlike Howard, Bynum can only play a limited amount of minutes a game so Asik would be the sole center for large parts of the game. Plus Asik is currently better than this limited version of Bynum.

Right now with Andy and Bynum Cleveland is fine in interior defense, but if Cleveland only had Bynum at center the interior defense would suffer greatly because Bynum can't play most of the game....plus if Bynum gets injured that would leave Cleveland with no center.

If Bynum stayed healthy and returned to somewhere near his old self trading Andy for Green would not be bad, but I think Bynum gets injured again so Cleveland will be screwed if Andy is traded for Jeff Green imo. Also I think Andy is a much better bball player than Green. If I was gonna trade Andy away I'd get a better player than Green.
Fair points, but Bynum isn't nearly as limited as he was at the beginning of the season. He's been playing around 25 minutes per game over the last 10 games.

And, he is as skilled as ever on the low block. He was flat-out dominating against Portland the other night in the first half. In the second half, they started fronting and doubling him, which effectively took him out of the game but opened things up for everybody else.

I'm not sure he'll ever get back to the consistent beast that he was in his last season with the Lakers. It didn't really matter what defenses did to that version of Bynum... he was going to get his.

It seems he can be taken out of games now if defenses put enough of a focus on him. But, again, he's still a real asset to have on the floor for that reason, even if he's not scoring.

Also, the Cavs are having issues getting him the ball. There are so few really skilled centers in the low post, these players today are having to figure out how and when to get him the ball. The entry feeds we used to take for granted in the 80s and 90s have to be taught to these guys not used to playing with real centers.

I don't know... I'm rambling. But, I guess the point is Bynum hasn't been a slouch this year. He's actually way better than I expected. And, he's playing way more than anyone expected. He's even had games where he went over 30 minutes on the floor.

Can he hold up? Only time will tell, but as things currently stand, I don't think Asik is the better player. Defensively? Sure. But all-around? I'd still take Bynum assuming he doesn't get re-injured.

gts
12-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Daryl Morey ‏@dmorey
Omer Asik #NBABallot

ballup
12-19-2013, 08:04 PM
That's what you think the Rockets need. I'm just stating what they can use in a strategy which was used in Orlando. That strategy is what the Rockets front office thinks should be implemented. I'm not saying Bass is the best option for them right now, but what I am saying is that it's obvious what direction the Rockets' front office wants to go.