PDA

View Full Version : "Franchise" pg's shooting around 40% from the field

Levity
12-19-2013, 03:24 PM
whether or not you consider these PG's franchise players, theyre all shooting around 40% from the field. The reason i bring this up, is that ISH tends to scoff at fg% less that 45, but is this acceptable for them? Should we expect improvement before the season finishes? or are you ok with this % as long as the production is there

the list:

westbrook
lillard
irving
jennings
wall
walker

WWRWestbrookDo?
12-19-2013, 03:32 PM
It's acceptable for Westbrook becomes he bring it on the glass and on defense. His motor is unmatched.

He is a 6'3 Dennis Rodman :roll: :applause:

moe94
12-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Irving and Westbrook don't usually shoot that bad.

NumberSix
12-19-2013, 03:42 PM
It's acceptable for Westbrook becomes he bring it on the glass and on defense. His motor is unmatched.

He is a 6'3 Dennis Rodman :roll: :applause:
I'd say he's more of a 6'3 JaVale McGee

Mr. Jabbar
12-19-2013, 03:43 PM
a non-efficient pg era :roll:

Qwyjibo
12-19-2013, 03:56 PM
FG% alone doesn't mean much. What is their 3pt % and how many attempts? How many FT attempts do each get and what is their FT%?

Lillard is shooting 43% from 3 on 7 attempts per game. That's amazing. Given that, I wouldn't care one bit that his overall FG% is 40.

Legends66NBA7
12-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Forget the %'s for a second. How would rank them defensively and who would you call good/average/bad defender ?

moe94
12-19-2013, 04:01 PM
Forget the %'s for a second. How would rank them defensively and who would you call good/average/bad defender ?

Sneak dissing Irving? :coleman:

Levity
12-19-2013, 04:01 PM

westbrook
wall
lillard/walker
jennings
irving

Legends66NBA7
12-19-2013, 04:04 PM
Sneak dissing Irving? :coleman:

Nah, not all.

I don't think Jennings and Lillard are good defenders either. Infact, I think their bad like Irving is. :oldlol:

elementally morale
12-19-2013, 04:24 PM
FG% is not a good measure of anything.

Mr. Jabbar
12-19-2013, 04:28 PM
lebron has literally brought the worst to the nba: collusion, extreme stat whoring, unloyalty, are on whole new level right now

Levity
12-19-2013, 04:30 PM

perhaps, but judging by everything i read on ISH, it seems to mean the world.

MP.Trey
12-19-2013, 04:30 PM
:roll: :biggums:

It's a good measure of how many shots someone makes, in relation to how many they take... what more do you want? lol

moe94
12-19-2013, 04:31 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/196fuarapyylmgif/ku-xlarge.gif

Rose'sACL
12-19-2013, 04:36 PM
FG% is a very good stat....if you score more than 15 ppg a game then your fg% along with your 3fg% and ft%(basically TS%) describe a lot about your game.

Micku
12-19-2013, 05:09 PM
FG% is a very good stat....if you score more than 15 ppg a game then your fg% along with your 3fg% and ft%(basically TS%) describe a lot about your game.

I think it depends if you take it into context. I remember Durant shot like 5/19 or 5/20 and had like a 60% TS because he went like 2/5 from 3 and went to the FT line like 10 times or something. He still had a bad game when the defense was active and his eFG% showed that as well as his FG% obviously. He got his points tho despite the FGA, which what TS is suppose to do.

So, it depends on situation and how you relate it to the player's game.

ninephive
12-19-2013, 05:19 PM
Parker and Paul have both dipped from last year:

Parker: .514 (.407 from 3)
Paul: .466 (.344 from 3)

Not bad.

longtime lurker
12-19-2013, 06:12 PM
FG% alone doesn't mean much. What is their 3pt % and how many attempts? How many FT attempts do each get and what is their FT%?

Lillard is shooting 43% from 3 on 7 attempts per game. That's amazing. Given that, I wouldn't care one bit that his overall FG% is 40.

Thank you someone who gets it

RedBlackAttack
12-19-2013, 06:23 PM
The FG% numbers really are taken a little too seriously. There are a lot of variables involved with great scorers that do not show up in these numbers.

Guys who attack the rim and draw in a defense may not score the bucket, but they set teammates up for easy putbacks that are almost akin to assists. It still counts as a missed shot, but is driving to the rim, taking an entire defense with you, and leaving a guy uncontested take any less skill than passing the ball to a guy with an open shot?

I also don't like putting too big a spotlight on a guy's FG% as a gauge for how he's playing in a small sample like this. A few really bad nights can drag down the number, whereas over a complete season or, preferably, multiple seasons, those things tend to even out.

I'm not saying efficiency doesn't matter. I just don't think FG% alone is necessarily a good indicator of overall scoring efficiency.

secund2nun
12-19-2013, 06:23 PM
whether or not you consider these PG's franchise players, theyre all shooting around 40% from the field. The reason i bring this up, is that ISH tends to scoff at fg% less that 45, but is this acceptable for them? Should we expect improvement before the season finishes? or are you ok with this % as long as the production is there

the list:

westbrook
lillard
irving
jennings
wall
walker

westbrook- good but overrated
lillard- good, but overrated
irving- was good until this year, but overrated. he blows this season
jennings- He sucks, is a overrated, and a scrub...a vet min caliber player
wall- has potential, but has been corrupted and is now a me first low efficiency chucker
walker- scrub

PGs are overrated. None are franchise players except for CP3.

RedBlackAttack
12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
wall- has potential, but has been corrupted and is now a me first low efficiency chucker
walker- scrub

I'd argue Kyrie -- right now -- is playing the best all-around basketball of his career. His shot is still not quite all the way back, but in the last five games, he's been doing it all. I felt like the growing pains early in the season were a result of him trying to become more of a complete player.

We're seeing the beginnings of that.

He was Eastern Conference Player of the Week and he's putting up 28 points on 48+% FG, 41+% 3PT, 95% FT, along with 7.3 assists, 2 steals and 1.5 turnovers in that span of games. And, yes... his effort has been much improved so far this year on the defensive end.

He's definitely currently not "blowing," that's for sure. He's better right now than he has ever been.

You can argue he was never really good and that's really just opinion, but -- for what he's able to do -- his game is on-point atm.

TonyMontana
12-19-2013, 06:46 PM
None of them are real "franchise players".

There is a reason there hasn't been a team win a title built around a PG since the ****ing 80s. And the guy who did it then was 6'9 and shot over 50% from the field. :oldlol: It's too hard to be both a dominant and efficient player as a little man. Not to mention little guys generally have a very limited impact on the defensive end of the floor(half of the game).

alexthegr8
12-19-2013, 08:19 PM
walker- scrub

Wall is second in the league in assists per game, how is he a me first chucker? Also, while he's shooting 42% from the field, that includes a stretch of games where he had back spasms. In two weeks he'll be around 44-45% from the field.

Meticode
12-19-2013, 08:28 PM
None of them are real "franchise players".

There is a reason there hasn't been a team win a title built around a PG since the ****ing 80s. And the guy who did it then was 6'9 and shot over 50% from the field. :oldlol: It's too hard to be both a dominant and efficient player as a little man. Not to mention little guys generally have a very limited impact on the defensive end of the floor(half of the game).
So they're not franchise players since teams with the PG as the best player can't win championships? That's a weird way to determine a franchise player.

Sorry Chris Paul, you're not the Clippers franchise player. You're a f*king PG, you ain't winning shit as the team's best player.

red1
12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
when taking position into context FG% is least relevant when looking at pointguards

KeylessEntry
12-19-2013, 08:46 PM
Lillard is shooting 42.8% from the 3pt line, but only 40.7% overall.... :wtf:

chips93
12-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Lillard is shooting 42.8% from the 3pt line, but only 40.7% overall.... :wtf:

so far this year, hes shooting as bad as rubio is on layups

both guys are at 40%

pretty surprising considering lillard is a good athlete, and the floor is well spaced for him with all those shooters around him.

im sure he'll bounce back though. he shot 56% at the rim last year

Graviton
12-19-2013, 09:33 PM
I love PGs the most out of all the positions, but even I can admit they have the least impact. They are the easiest to shut down in the playoffs and when without a 2nd superstar they can't carry a team. The reason their FG% is also expected, shorter you are the harder it is to score/shoot vs taller defenders and bigger post players.

Westbrook to me can be excused thanks to his "all over the place" type of game, his energy and 110% effort in each game is insane. He is the Lebron of PGs(with more balls and less brains approach). He literally does everything. He will soar for offensive rebounds over 7 footers, he will set people up for easy buckets, he will attack the basket and open up the floor for his team, he will frustrate his matchup with tight man to man defense and force turnovers, he will try to dunk on 3 people with no fear, he will block big men's dunks, he will pull up from anywhere with confidense. His 2 performances against Golden State were the best games I have seen this season. Not to mention the owning of Pacers and Blazers.

Wall also makes a similar impact and all the advanced stats show how important he is to Wizards, they are a legit playoff team with him. In the East at least. :oldlol:

Lilard is like a mix of Curry and Rose, little raw still though.

The other guys I haven't watched much, but i think aside from shooting a lot they don't contribute much to their team. They don't have any other outstanding qualities that make an impact.