PDA

View Full Version : Dexter vs Breaking Bad

cos88
12-20-2013, 03:31 PM
2 months ago i started dexter. now after finishing it i'm at season 2 at breaking bad. what show is better? are this 2 in the top 5 of tv shows in the past 10 years?

discuss

CelticBaller
12-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Breaking Bad. Dexter went full retard after season 4.

Theoo
12-20-2013, 03:33 PM
dexter only good for like 4 season .. rest season are not so good and some are suck as hell :facepalm: breaking bad is amazing to all season

irondarts
12-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Breaking Bad and it's not even close.

Dexter was very good for 4 seasons, after that it was very bad to the point of embarrassment (Like Weeds).

Breaking Bad was amazing throughout and is very well done. Not to mention it had a very fulfilling and good ending, whereas Dexter's ending was well...the worst ever.

Qwyjibo
12-20-2013, 03:46 PM
That depends on how far you are with Dexter. When it comes to Dexter, the quality varied quite a bit

Seasons 1, 2 and 4 = excellent
Seasons 3 and 5 = good (I know I might in the minority about season 5)
Season 6 = alright
Season 7 = not good
Season 8 = so ridiculous that you almost wish the entire season was just a dream.

cos88
12-20-2013, 03:48 PM
good posts so far. i have to say the first season of breaking bad wasn't fantastic but i heard it got way better after.

any other tv shows that are on the same level?

didn't watch this show ( i've been told that this were 5 stars ):

boardwalk empire
hannibal
house of cards
the wire
mad men

etc

which one should i watch next?

irondarts
12-20-2013, 03:54 PM
good posts so far. i have to say the first season of breaking bad wasn't fantastic but i heard it got way better after.

any other tv shows that are on the same level?

didn't watch this show ( i've been told that this were 5 stars ):

boardwalk empire
hannibal
house of cards
the wire
mad men

etc

which one should i watch next?
The Wire is incredible.

Boardwalk, House of Cards and Mad Men are fantastic as well.

Never seen Hannibal.

Another one of my favorite shows is Treme which is created by David Simon (The same creator as The Wire) and is about New Orleans post Katrina.

TheSilentKiller
12-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Breaking Bad and it's not even close.

Dexter was very good for 4 seasons, after that it was very bad to the point of embarrassment (Like Weeds).

Breaking Bad was amazing throughout and is very well done. Not to mention it had a very fulfilling and good ending, whereas Dexter's ending was well...the worst ever.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

MP.Trey
12-20-2013, 04:08 PM
This is like quantity vs quality. Give me quality (Breaking Bad).

Levity
12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
if youre really into lumberjacks, then keep watching dexter

cos88
12-20-2013, 04:25 PM
if youre really into lumberjacks, then keep watching dexter

finished last week. no problem with the lumberjack thing. a little dissapointed about dexter doing everything in that hospital, but i got used to this at the end of season 6 with the baby on the rooftop :facepalm also deb's love for dexter was so bad.

but overall a fantastic show.

season 2 and 4 were world-class television

chosen_one6
12-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Game of Thrones is another show you should check out

Crystallas
12-20-2013, 05:51 PM
I like Dexter, but this isn't even a fair comparison.

Breaking Bad was a complete progressive story, while Dexter is a concept. Notice how nearly all episodes of Dexter goes as follows: Bad guy gets away with doing something very bad, nobody can stop them, Dexter kills and hides them.
Then the twist and evolution of that basic plot. Someone close to Dexter is a bad person underneath, Dexter finds them, kills them, hides them.

miller-time
12-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Dexter should have been 4 or 5 seasons max. It is kind of ridiculous how many people he kills and is never caught. The problem was they were making it up as they went, they should have thought about how they wanted to end the show much much earlier.

Qwyjibo
12-20-2013, 10:21 PM
It's also funny how incompetent of a police officer Batista was. And they kept promoting him.

Quinn was a good and realistic character but seemed underused. It would've been funny if at one point Quinn just said "Wait, you guys didn't know that Dexter was the Bay Harbour Butcher? I thought we all knew but it was one of those things we just didn't talk about."

TheReal Kendall
12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
It's also funny how incompetent of a police officer Batista was. And they kept promoting him.

Quinn was a good and realistic character but seemed underused. It would've been funny if at one point Quinn just said "Wait, you guys didn't know that Dexter was the Bay Harbour Butcher? I thought we all knew but it was one of those things we just didn't talk about."

That would've been awesome

alenleomessi
12-20-2013, 11:25 PM
OP watch the greatest television show ever LOST

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2015, 02:11 AM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

LMFAO that would have been epic. At least in some kind of dreamy sequence maybe... Like the original writer proposed the ending to be.

Droid101
01-21-2015, 03:08 AM
Dexter first four seasons, best ever.

Breaking Bad series wins.

RoundMoundOfReb
01-21-2015, 03:10 AM
Dexter sucked near the end. So overall BB but prime for prime Dexter.

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2015, 03:12 AM
People say "Dexter should have been 5 seasons max", it actually shouldnt, they just went trash after that point.. but they had alot of good material they either missed out completely, or didnt maximize... sad, really.

Seasons 1 and 2 = GOAT.

But with BrBa, every season is a 9/10 minimum.

J Shuttlesworth
01-21-2015, 03:23 AM
Season 1 of Dexter was EXCELLENT. As good as most of the Breaking Bad seasons IMHO. Season 2 was okay, 4 was great. Aside from that, all the other seasons were shit.

Breaking Bad... pretty much every season is epic. GOAT

Micku
01-21-2015, 03:35 AM
I thought the first half of season 7 was great. That mob boss was a badass, but then it was meh afterwards.

Anyway, prime for prime, BB.

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2015, 03:41 AM
Season 1 of Dexter was EXCELLENT. As good as most of the Breaking Bad seasons IMHO. Season 2 was okay, 4 was great. Aside from that, all the other seasons were shit.

Breaking Bad... pretty much every season is epic. GOAT

Agreed, but Dexter's season 2 wasn't just "okay", same level as season 1 IMO... Most enjoyable with the build up and Doakes catching up. Both GOAT level.

I thought the first half of season 7 was great. That mob boss was a badass, but then it was meh afterwards.

Anyway, prime for prime, BB.

Heard he had to leave due to personal reasons.. could have saved the season, because like you said the first 8-9 episodes were damn good. But even here, I felt more was possible.

J Shuttlesworth
01-21-2015, 04:18 AM
Agreed, but Dexter's season 2 wasn't just "okay", same level as season 1 IMO... Most enjoyable with the build up and Doakes catching up. Both GOAT level.

You're right, season 2 was more than ok... but I think 1 > 4 > 2, but they're all pretty close.

kurple
01-21-2015, 07:36 AM
Tier 1: The Wire
Tier 2: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, Sopranos
Tier 3: Dexter, Rome, House of Cards, Generation Kill, OZ

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Tier 1: The Wire
Tier 2: Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, Sopranos
Tier 3: Dexter, Rome, House of Cards, Generation Kill, OZ

There's no way The Wire is in a sole tier, in another tier above Breaking Bad.. And are these all the shows you watched or just your notable favorites for the top 3 tiers?

kurple
01-21-2015, 07:46 AM
i've seen many, many, many more shows

i'm sure i've forgot one or two, but this is my ranking of my favorite shows. not including comedies

and The Wire were closer to being two tiers above anyone else than being the same tier as any show. GoT and Sopranos are the closest

alenleomessi
01-21-2015, 08:51 AM
i tried the wire few years ago and got bored after 20 mins.. its not for everyone.. breaking bad? i dont know a person that watched it but didnt like it

fiddy
01-21-2015, 08:54 AM
i tried the wire few years ago and got bored after 20 mins.. its not for everyone.. breaking bad? i dont know a person that watched it but didnt like it
you should give it a second chance, watch couple of episodes
imo wire>bb

kurple
01-21-2015, 09:51 AM
i watched the first 1-2 episodes 3 times before i "felt" it

They Won
01-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Is this a serious question? The answer is obviously Dexter's Laboratory.

Draz
01-21-2015, 10:48 AM
I'm on the last season of dexter and I agree it went full blown stupid.

MMM
01-22-2015, 03:09 AM
Dexter peaked in season 4 it wasn't until mid way of season 7 till i gave up on it.

Hannibal isn't for everyone but i do enjoy how aesthetically pleasing the killing scenes are, number of times have said I enjoy the killers work.

Milbuck
01-22-2015, 03:13 AM
Seen all of BB. At the 2nd season finale of Dexter. Reading that Dexter keeps getting better until about season 5, which is promising, but I can't imagine it topping BB at its best. Peak BB might be the 2nd or 3rd best show I've ever seen. Just gonna have to wait and see I guess.

ArbitraryWater
01-22-2015, 03:15 AM
Seen all of BB. At the 2nd season finale of Dexter. Reading that Dexter keeps getting better until about season 5, which is promising, but I can't imagine it topping BB at its best. Peak BB might be the 2nd or 3rd best show I've ever seen. Just gonna have to wait and see I guess.

Huh? Dexter is not close to getting better for you... 3 and 5 are clear downgrades from the first 2, only season 4 will be on 1-2 level. 6 is horrible, 8 is even worse, and 7 starts good but ends bad.

Milbuck
01-22-2015, 03:17 AM
Huh? Dexter is not close to getting better for you... 3 and 5 are clear downgrades from the first 2, only season 4 will be on 1-2 level. 6 is horrible, 8 is even worse, and 7 starts good but ends bad.
Poster above me said peaks at 4, heard from friends it just gets better until 5 where it goes to shit. If 3 is weak, dammit.

Peak Dexter vs peak BB?

ArbitraryWater
01-22-2015, 03:22 AM
Poster above me said peaks at 4, heard from friends it just gets better until 5 where it goes to shit. If 3 is weak, dammit.

Peak Dexter vs peak BB?

Yeah, well best seasons usually vary from 1, 2, 4... those are the peak seasons. I think 1 and 2 can stack up against Breaking Bad 3-5, slightly below I guess...

3 isn't a disappointment, neither is 5 (which sometimes gets just thrown in with 6 but is ALOT better), its still good television, its just disappointing because this show has a unique concept, I feel it could have been GOAT level at all times... You may know that the main writer left after season 4, so thats one explanation why it goes bad.

You've been able to avoid spoilers?

Bless Mathews
01-22-2015, 04:26 AM
i've seen many, many, many more shows

i'm sure i've forgot one or two, but this is my ranking of my favorite shows. not including comedies

and The Wire were closer to being two tiers above anyone else than being the same tier as any show. GoT and Sopranos are the closest

Lol.

Oh the show that gets SO RIDICULOUS a cop invents a serial killer with red string to get money so he can work on another case?

:lol :roll:

The wire went straight comedy. Overrated.

Bb > the wire and it's not even close.

Bless Mathews
01-22-2015, 04:32 AM

Peak Dexter vs peak BB?

Bb

Reason why bb is better is FAR more character development.

the characters In bb change along with plot making truly great tv, none of dexters characters changed that much and basically the same plots. The overall idea of the show and how perfect Michael Hall does dexter is why it's so good. Bb , everything , is just perfect.

J Shuttlesworth
01-22-2015, 05:03 AM

Peak Dexter vs peak BB?
Season 3 is like playoffs James Harden

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 05:09 AM
Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of Dexter are watchable television. After that it becomes complete shit.

I'd say it goes: 2 > 1 > 4 > 3 > 5

Every season of Breaking Bad is good-to-great.

3 > 5b > 2 > 1 > 5a > 4

Breaking Bad is in my top 10 shows of all time.

Nothing beats The Sopranos though. :oldlol:

ArbitraryWater
01-22-2015, 06:05 AM
Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 of Dexter are watchable television. After that it becomes complete shit.

3 > 5b > 2 > 1 > 5a > 4

Damn, we completely agree on Dexter.. The first 8-9 episodes of season 7 are watchable as well.

bolded: really going out on a limb I see :lol

Can't wait to continue Sopranos (like Wire I stopped after 1st season lol)

T_L_P
01-22-2015, 06:22 AM
Damn, we completely agree on Dexter.. The first 8-9 episodes of season 7 are watchable as well.

bolded: really going out on a limb I see :lol

Can't wait to continue Sopranos (like Wire I stopped after 1st season lol)

To be fair, Lila almost single-handedly brings the season down. I get the message behind her character, but she's so damn annoying. Thankfully Doakes is such a brilliant character, and Erik King is such a brilliant actor. :bowdown:

Alright, alright. I'd give it top 5. Only shows I can definitely say I feel are better are The Sopranos, The Wire and True Detective (even though it's just 8 episodes). I'd also take Arrested Development over it but it's a comedy, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. I rewatched it last year and I liked it more than the first time. That's rare. I rewatched Breaking Bad too and it wasn't nearly as good.

The Sopranos works so well because unlike almost every other show, it's a true character study. Once you know how the plot of BB develops, it loses a lot of its weight and rewatchability. Not so much with The Sopranos. The writing, cinematography and music choice is second to none, but the performances of Gandolfini and Edie Falco are unbelievable. Seriously some of the best performance that's ever been recorded. :cheers:

Fck, I think I might have to rewatch it again. :oldlol:

kurple
01-22-2015, 07:03 PM
Lol.

Oh the show that gets SO RIDICULOUS a cop invents a serial killer with red string to get money so he can work on another case?

:lol :roll:

The wire went straight comedy. Overrated.

Bb > the wire and it's not even close.
season 5 was wack. dont disagree there

but its still the best show ever made IMO

christian1923
01-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Does anyone know of a website where i can stream The Wire?

guy
01-22-2015, 11:34 PM

3 > 5b > 2 > 1 > 5a > 4

You think the 4th season is the worst??:wtf:

It's clearly the best.

SexSymbol
01-23-2015, 12:01 AM
The Wire, Sopranos, Sherlock, True Detective, House are my top 5, breaking bad may b 6th, Dexter's knocking on top 10-12

Heavincent
01-23-2015, 01:26 AM

It's clearly the best.

Agreed.

Face Off is one the GOAT TV episodes :bowdown:

T_L_P
01-23-2015, 02:07 AM

It's clearly the best.

Yes. When I first watched the show I thought it was the second best, but it isn't nearly as good when you rewatch it.

The season is way too plot reliant and lacks the character depth of the other seasons. When you know what happens, it loses almost all of its weight imo (unlike season 3).

That's why BB isn't in the same universe as The Sopranos. It's an all time great show, but it still relies on the same old tricks as the next show (an explosive plot).

That_Admiral
01-23-2015, 02:14 AM
Agreed.

Face Off is one the GOAT TV episodes :bowdown:
:bowdown:

enayes
01-23-2015, 02:16 AM
Dexter > Breaking Bad for me.

I just love Dexter's character and even though some of the later seasons are lacking I still enjoyed watching them.

Season's 1, 2 and 4 are my favorite.

Season 5 and 7 I really enjoyed, especially the main villain in 7, he was great.

Season 3, 6 and 8 are okay. I've watched all the season's at least twice except season 8. I started to re-watch that one and lost interest after 1 1/2 episodes.

Breaking Bad was a more complete package, but it's only five seasons.

MCH for the win!

Bless Mathews
01-23-2015, 02:43 AM
season 5 was wack. dont disagree there

but its still the best show ever made IMO

It's pretty good , but no way goat.

No character development. No evolution. Pretty much Same plot, Different variables.

Milbuck
01-23-2015, 02:44 AM
Yes. When I first watched the show I thought it was the second best, but it isn't nearly as good when you rewatch it.

The season is way too plot reliant and lacks the character depth of the other seasons. When you know what happens, it loses almost all of its weight imo (unlike season 3).

That's why BB isn't in the same universe as The Sopranos. It's an all time great show, but it still relies on the same old tricks as the next show (an explosive plot).
Eh I think the character development in season 4 was just fine, I think it's just that the plot was so brilliantly written that you get entranced by the story and lose sight of a lot of the deeper components. Besides I think they built such a strong foundation with most of the characters in the 3 seasons prior that all they needed was that one intriguing character to life things up beyond Walt/Jesse, and they had that in Gus. Honestly Gus' character alone was enough, even without the brilliant story.

When I'm judging shows what matters to me is the pure quality of it, regardless of how it's constructed and how it gets there. Shows differ with this all the time, but with shows like BB and other non-comedies I tend not to care as much about re-watch value and how it ages. I don't usually re-watch those types of shows soon after I'm done anyways, I just recently re-watched the first season of Lost, and it's been like 10 years.

ArbitraryWater
01-23-2015, 03:39 AM
To be fair, Lila almost single-handedly brings the season down. I get the message behind her character, but she's so damn annoying. Thankfully Doakes is such a brilliant character, and Erik King is such a brilliant actor. :bowdown:

Alright, alright. I'd give it top 5. Only shows I can definitely say I feel are better are The Sopranos, The Wire and True Detective (even though it's just 8 episodes). I'd also take Arrested Development over it but it's a comedy, so I'm not sure if it counts.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it. I rewatched it last year and I liked it more than the first time. That's rare. I rewatched Breaking Bad too and it wasn't nearly as good.

The Sopranos works so well because unlike almost every other show, it's a true character study. Once you know how the plot of BB develops, it loses a lot of its weight and rewatchability. Not so much with The Sopranos. The writing, cinematography and music choice is second to none, but the performances of Gandolfini and Edie Falco are unbelievable. Seriously some of the best performance that's ever been recorded. :cheers:

Fck, I think I might have to rewatch it again. :oldlol:

Heating me up nicely for the Sopranos :pimp:

But S4 for BrBa definitely wasn't the worst lol

and neither is Dexter > BrBa, that makes no sense, but I love C. Hall also.

ArbitraryWater
01-23-2015, 03:41 AM
Breaking Bad's 3-5 is so hard to rank...

Try BrBa's GOAT episodes though:

Pilot (Yes, first episode got me hooked, awesome moment), Ozymandias, Half Measures, Crawl Space (mother****aaa), Face Off (literally doe), One Minute (dat ending), Salud, Granitate State, Felina..

Man, forgot alot too