PDA

View Full Version : Did I do the right thing?

IamRAMBO24
12-21-2013, 04:04 AM
I'm putting a couple of co workers on ignore mode, which means, I absolutely will not address them unless if it is work related. The problem with this is I've always been a social guy who is outgoing and talkative; recently I find their actions toward other employees to be distasteful: namely being negative towards a new employee. The new employee has only been on the job for less than a month and they are throwing him under the bus by calling him incompetent. It also doesn't help the company is looking for new managers and they happen to be in the running to run the crew.

Of course, due to their arrogance they think I'm jealous they are going to be future managers, but the truth is I was asked to take the position but turned it down.

I'm just worried going full mute can be misconstrue as negativity within the work place. What are your thoughts?

Bandito
12-21-2013, 04:06 AM
Of course, due to their arrogance they think I'm jealous they are going to be future managers, but the truth is I was asked to take the position but turned it down.Why would you do that?

Mr. Jabbar
12-21-2013, 04:08 AM
they sound like a pair of real douches, try to get that manager position and fire their asses, make it happen!

also, ignore mode is kinda unproductive both ways, if you have some sort of influence over them you could try talk them into not being such assholes with the new guy, you could also try help the new guy with some advice if you care

Chuckbrook
12-21-2013, 04:12 AM
If you're going to take the mute approach, try to do it in a positive/upbeat demeanor, but not fake. Don't walk around like you're pissed. Just smile and when something work related comes up approach it in a professional, yet nice way.

-Brook

IamRAMBO24
12-21-2013, 04:13 AM
Why would you do that?

The pay increase does not justify the responsibility.

I have something bigger in mind: instead of moving up the ranks, I want to apply for different positions that pay more. It is a huge company and there are many opportunities. The raises in moving up is absymal (we're talking cents and low dollars at most), while looking for an opening in different sectors are in the hundreds.

Bandito
12-21-2013, 04:19 AM
The pay increase does not justify the responsibility.

I have something bigger in mind: instead of moving up the ranks, I want to apply for different positions that pay more. It is a huge company and there are many opportunities. The raises in moving up is absymal (we're talking cents and low dollars at most), while looking for an opening in different sectors are in the hundreds.
Ah I see, but isn't easier to move to a different position if you have experience of let's say managing or supervising a group of people? Wouldn't it be better to go up in your position as it may help you move to another different position?

IamRAMBO24
12-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Ah I see, but isn't easier to move to a different position if you have experience of let's say managing or supervising a group of people? Wouldn't it be better to go up in your position as it may help you move to another different position?

It's one of those jobs where the person above you plans to retire before he quits the job, so it's pretty much a road block to move up from the position that was offered to me.

IamRAMBO24
12-21-2013, 04:27 AM
they sound like a pair of real douches, try to get that manager position and fire their asses, make it happen!

It's not that easy to fire someone in this company; they have what they call "occurences." I can't just fire them because I don't like them. They have to commit sins detrimental to the work place (showing up late, not showing up, not doing their job correctly, showing up drunk or on drugs, etc.).

Bandito
12-21-2013, 04:28 AM
It's one of those jobs where the person above you plans to retire before he quits the job, so it's pretty much a road block to move up from the position that was offered to me.
Gotcha! What do you work as bro?

IamRAMBO24
12-21-2013, 04:31 AM
Gotcha! What do you work as bro?

Contrary to the popular opinion around here, I do not work at Mcdonald's. I would rather not reveal where I work at or what I do; it is an automatic termination for airing out work related drama to the public.

Mr. Jabbar
12-21-2013, 04:34 AM
It's not that easy to fire someone in this company; they have what they call "occurences." I can't just fire them because I don't like them. They have to commit sins detrimental to the work place (showing up late, not showing up, not doing their job correctly, showing up drunk or on drugs, etc.).

hmm making life hard for the new guy doesnt sound like doing their job right but anyway, I know what you mean, perhaps you should just wait for that other area promotion, sadly, more often than not, in some companies, doing the right thing and climbing positions go opposite ways

IamRAMBO24
12-21-2013, 04:39 AM
hmm making life hard for the new guy doesnt sound like doing their job right but anyway, I know what you mean, perhaps you should just wait for that other area promotion, sadly, more often than not, in some companies, doing the right thing and climbing positions go opposite ways

Hey thanks, you've put my mind at ease. I just don't like the idea of beating up other employees to prop themselves up, and the idea they are going to be managers has really bothered me lately. This means they probably won't take responsibility for the team and will be getting everybody else fired when sh*t hits the fan.

Mr. Jabbar
12-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Hey thanks, you've put my mind at ease. I just don't like the idea of beating up other employees to prop themselves up, and the idea they are going to be managers has really bothered me lately. This means they probably won't take responsibility for the team and will be getting everybody else fired when sh*t hits the fan.

yw, and rest assured they'll be stuck at their jobs if they handle situations like that

Swaggin916
12-21-2013, 04:46 AM
Sour relationships with other employees/bosses or anyone that you have to see on a regular basis never work out. It is best to get the issues resolved and tell them how you feel.Be cool about it the whole time but hold your ground. When you feel something is wrong you have to speak up, but the goal is to come to some kind of understanding and have good relationships. If those are your intentions and it's obvious, then I don't see how a progress will be made. If for some reason it's not, then be ready to tell them that you are ready to take it up with higher management. If it's something you believe in then be prepared to go the distance.