PDA

View Full Version : Question: Have the lakers ever scouted/drafted a player of their own?

3peated
12-21-2013, 12:06 PM
it seems like they always trade for their players, or sign them in FA. are there any players that they've actually scouted/drafted that have turned out to be quality players?

kurple
12-21-2013, 12:12 PM
bynum?

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:13 PM
it seems like they always trade for their players, or sign them in FA. are there any players that they've actually scouted/drafted that have turned out to be quality players?

how long have you been following lakers?
even though they rarely get a lottery pick, lakers surprisingly is a good drafter
kobe was drafted, on top of my head bynum, fisher, oh magic and worthy

jlip
12-21-2013, 12:13 PM
Weren't Magic and Worthy both drafted by the Lakers?

Uncle Drew
12-21-2013, 12:14 PM
Magic and Worthy turned out to be pretty good.

Thorn
12-21-2013, 12:15 PM
Bynum yeah.

Lakers haven't had a high 1st rounder in a while because they've never been bottom of the barrel, usually they have low 1sts or 2nds. They've had some okay rotation players apart from Bynum in the Kobe era - Farmar, Sasha and of course Madsen. Just not that much talent left in the 30-50 range - not many guys like Manu or Chandler Parsons.

Historically they've been pretty good drafters. Magic/Kob/Worthy were all drafted.

kurple
12-21-2013, 12:16 PM
even though they rarely get a lottery pick, lakers surprisingly is a good drafter
kobe was drafted by the Hornets

SavageMode
12-21-2013, 12:17 PM
Kobe stan exposed... doesn't even know Kobe was drafted by the Hornets.

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:19 PM
kobe was drafted by the Hornets
:facepalm

they already got pre agreement SMH

kurple
12-21-2013, 12:21 PM

still not drafted by the lakers

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:21 PM
Kobe stan exposed... doesn't even know Kobe was drafted by the Hornets.

The first guard to ever be taken out of high school, Bryant was chosen as the 13th overall draft pick by the Charlotte Hornets in 1996.[28] According to Arn Tellem, Bryant's agent at the time, Bryant playing for the Charlotte Hornets was "an impossibility".[29] However, Bill Branch, the Hornets' head scout at the time, said that the Hornets agreed to trade their draft selection to the Lakers before picking Bryant. The teams agreed to the trade the day before the draft and the Lakers did not tell the Hornets who to select until five minutes before the pick was made.[30] Branch said that prior to the trade agreement, the Hornets never even considered drafting Bryant. Prior to the draft, Bryant had worked out in Los Angeles, in which he scrimmaged against former Lakers players Larry Drew and Michael Cooper, and according to then-Laker manager Jerry West "marched over these people".[31] On July 1, 1996, West traded his starting center, Vlade Divac, to the Hornets in exchange for Bryant's draft rights.[32] Since he was still 17 at the time of the draft, his parents had to cosign his contract with the Lakers until he was able to sign his own when he turned 18 before the season began

basketball fan since decision detected :rolleyes:

SavageMode
12-21-2013, 12:23 PM
basketball fan since decision detected :rolleyes:
Join date... APR 2013.

Still technically drafted by the Hornets.

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Join date... APR 2013.

lol
exposed and now trying to cover it

zero reading comprehension, did you read the title?

"Have the lakers ever scouted/drafted a player of their own?"

kurple
12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
i'm sure every team somewhat scouted kobe before the draft

lakers still didnt draft him

SavageMode
12-21-2013, 12:28 PM

This.

My great uncles nephews step grandfather scouted Kobe before the draft.

Kobe still and forever drafted by the Hornets.

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:31 PM

yes,

OP question,
have the lakers ever scouted/drafted a player of their own that turn out to be quality player?

am i wrong to answer bryant?

and its basically the same procedure as trade pick in the modern day,
already agreed before hand to trade the draft right for divac.
lakers told em who to pick

3peated
12-21-2013, 12:32 PM
interesting. I haven't closely followed the NBA (as in follow draft picks, off season tasks, etc) until the last few years. so I prefer to get my information brought to me directly instead of googling it, lol.

i should have remembered bynum, and i didn't consider kobe being drafted by the lakers, but reading that quote vintage posts really makes me think they do have talent behind the scenes!

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-21-2013, 12:37 PM
yes,

OP question,
have the lakers ever scouted/drafted a player of their own that turn out to be quality player?

am i wrong to answer bryant?

and its basically the same procedure as trade pick in the modern day,
already agreed before hand to trade the draft right for divac.
lakers told em who to pick
i think kurple is a little confused by the term "scouting". not surprised..

boozehound
12-21-2013, 12:39 PM
no the lakers have never drafted a player. Its an old clause in the nba/aba merger that transferred the lakers pick in perpetuity. Thats why the draft is only 29 spots per round.

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:39 PM
interesting. I haven't closely followed the NBA (as in follow draft picks, off season tasks, etc) until the last few years. so I prefer to get my information brought to me directly instead of googling it, lol.

i should have remembered bynum, and i didn't consider kobe being drafted by the lakers, but reading that quote vintage posts really makes me think they do have talent behind the scenes!

Rookies do not have to sign with the team that drafted them, but if they don't, then they can't sign with any other NBA team either. A player who doesn't sign with the team that drafted him has to either go play in an entirely different leage, Europe or China or whatever, or sit out for 3 years and then reenter the draft.

Before the 1996 draft, Kobe had worked out for the Lakers. The Lakers were impressed with him and told him they wanted him on their team. Kobe wanted to be a Laker as well, so he and his agent let all the General Managers of the other teams know that Kobe was determined to play for LA. That's why Kobe fell as far as he did in the draft, because nobody wanted to waste a draft pick on a 17 year old kid who would only play for the team that drafted him for a couple of years before he became a free agent and went to the Lakers. The rules back then were different in that respect, rookies were not locked into the team that drafted them for 7 years, the way they are now. There was also no salary cap, so there was no question about whether the Lakers could sign Kobe when he became available.

The Lakers anticipated Kobe would be last into the middle of first round. The day before the draft they made a deal with the Hornets, agreeing to send Vlade Divac to Charlotte if the Hornets would draft the player that the Lakers wanted and then trade that player to LA. Technically, Kobe had been traded the day before he was drafted, and was never offered a contract by the Hornets.

The Lakers own pick in the draft was number 24. It was anticipated that Knicks, picking at number 21, might take Kobe and hope to convince him that New York wasn't such a bad place to play. By making the deal with Charlotte, the Lakers got their man, and the rest, as they say, is history.

more about what happened,
it was basically the same as pick trade this day,
lakers had #24, afraid of NYK with #21 would take him first,
so the day before the draft, they trade divac to #13
i dont know why back then the original owner of the pick should do the drafting

VIntageNOvel
12-21-2013, 12:40 PM

nah im cool with kurple,

its that idiot savagemode who has been creating tons of thread with exact same post "i cant remember :facepalm "

kurple
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
i'm just messing with vintage. but care to elaborate?

I would be SHOCKED if the Lakers were the only team that sent scouts to watch Kobe play or how he preformed at the combine.

this is before my time, so i might be wrong. and english isnt my 1st language, so i can always use that as my excuse

Brokenbeat
12-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Join date... APR 2013.

Lol, you're all sorts of stupid, aren't you? :applause:

ripthekik
12-21-2013, 12:56 PM
lol savagemode being exposed by vintage as the retard he is:lol
vintagenovel :applause: :applause:

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-21-2013, 01:05 PM

I would be SHOCKED if the Lakers were the only team that sent scouts to watch Kobe play or how he preformed at the combine.

this is before my time, so i might be wrong. and english isnt my 1st language, so i can always use that as my excuse
me too, what's your point?

AirTupac
12-21-2013, 01:22 PM
lol @ Savage getting exposed for being a dumbass :oldlol:

I<3NBA
12-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Kobe was drafted by the Hornets and then traded. idk how hard that can be to understand.

SavageMode
12-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Still drafted by Hornets, get over Kobe d1ckslobbers. Lebron 13-6 vs Kobe. You Mad. :roll:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/abyss_89x/Screenshot2013-12-21at122948PM.png

SavageMode
12-21-2013, 01:34 PM
Kobe was drafted by the Hornets and then traded. idk how hard that can be to understand.
This. Next.

Brokenbeat
12-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Still drafted by Hornets, get over Kobe d1ckslobbers. Lebron 13-6 vs Kobe. You Mad. :roll:

Really? Agenda thread backfire, and you run away screaming "I'll be back next time!!" like a cartoon villain, lol. :hammerhead:

Scholar
12-21-2013, 01:39 PM
First off, the OP must be among the dumbest basketball "fans" ever. Dude probably thinks Magic Johnson is the Orlando Magic's former mascot. :facepalm

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/abyss_89x/Screenshot2013-12-21at122948PM.png

Secondly, look at this clown. WTF is this shit?
"Oh, shit! Everybody is realizing how stupid I am! I think if I mock Kobe and mention LeBron, it'll divert the attention away from how retarded I am!"

VIP2000
12-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel. And the immortal Devean George.

IGOTGAME
12-21-2013, 01:58 PM

please explain the distinction here. The saw a prospect, scouted him and made him a part of there team before ever touching an NBA court. So because they didnt make the trade a few days before, it is some big difference?

SpecialQue

The Clippers scouted Kobe but didn't want him because in their minds they wouldn't be taken seriously if they drafted a high school player.

Nastradamus
Saying the Lakers didn't draft Kobe is moronic. Its simply a technicality in NBA rules, as you can't trade the pick before hand. The Lakers decided who would be chosen with that pick and he played every second of his career with them. The Hornets don't draft him without the trade.

gts
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Elgin Baylor
Jerry West
Gail Goodrich
Norm Nixon

longtime lurker
12-21-2013, 02:06 PM

Drafted for the Lakers dipshit by the Hornets. Lakers still drafted him, Hornets had zero input into who they were drafting. Anyone arguing against this is just trying to derail the thread *cough* d!pshitmode

AirTupac
12-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Really? Agenda thread backfire, and you run away screaming "I'll be back next time!!" like a cartoon villain, lol. :hammerhead:

He's like the monkey from powerpuff girls except he's a lot dumber.

3LiftHeatCurse
12-21-2013, 03:06 PM

Except, Kobe was going to be drafted by other teams, in particular the Nets, who picked ahead of the Hornets and the Lakers. Calipari was going to take him.

Kobe threatened to go to Italy if any team but the Lakers drafted him. He got his agent to go to the media, saying it was an impossibility for Kobe to play anywhere but in LA. Kobe was refusing to play for anyone but the Lakers. Then, Jerry West got on the phone with the Nets and tried to talk them out of it. Due to all of this bullying and blackmailing by Kobe and the Lakers, the Lakers made a pre-agreement trade with the Hornets for their pick. So, the Lakers/Kobe still traded/blackmailed their way to each other.

So, no, Kobe isn't a legit homegrown scout and pick by the Lakers. Way too much shadyness happened.

http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/05/22/052213-NBA-kobe-bryant_20130522165514629_660_320.JPG

I would say Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, James Worthy, and Magic Johnson. Even though Magic threatened to go back to college if the Bulls drafted him, he got lucky that the Lakers won the toss.

The Lakers are the Miami Heat, before the Miami Heat existed. Shaq, Kobe, Kareem, Wilt, McAdoo, Gasol, etc... all hired/traded/whatever for.

wakencdukest
12-21-2013, 04:01 PM
The Lakers have had 2 lottery picks in the past 30 years, Eddie Jones and Bynum. The rest of them have been at the end of the first round basically. What are they supposed to do with that? The front office have been pretty good about going out and getting players if you think about it.

chazzy
12-21-2013, 04:14 PM
The Hornets drafted Kobe on behalf of the Lakers.. why is that so hard to understand. They scouted him and wanted to ensure they got him, so they traded up for him

The Iron Fist
12-21-2013, 04:15 PM
This.

My great uncles nephews step grandfather scouted Kobe before the draft.

Kobe still and forever drafted by the Hornets.

Who ordered them to draft Kobe?

The Iron Fist
12-21-2013, 04:19 PM
This. Next.
Peter Vecsey

HOOP DU JOUR

Second of two parts.

Friday, when Kobe Bryant led the Lakers into Madison Square Garden, we looked back at the 1996 NBA Draft, and how so many teams could have been so wary/wrong about someone so gifted.

Today, Kobe discloses other draft dodgers and dissers.

John Nash

ProfessorMurder
12-21-2013, 04:36 PM
The Hornets were not drafting Kobe if it were not for the trade. The Lakers basically drafted him.

Except that the Hornets drafted him. It doesn't matter why. I don't know why you all think it's a big deal and have to fight about it.

brownmamba00
12-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Magic, Worthy, the Logo, Elgin Baylor, Nick van Exel, Bynum, Divac, Kobe

all became good to great players

Bandito
12-21-2013, 05:20 PM
Join date... APR 2013.

To get owned by April 2013...pathetic...:lol