PDA

View Full Version : 50 years from now...

EnoughSaid
12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
How do you think the landscape of the NBA would look? Would we have a completely different All-Time top 10? Would the NBA be more popular? Would different rules be implemented?

fpliii
12-21-2013, 07:01 PM
The league will have folded by then, IMO.

iTare
12-21-2013, 07:08 PM
There will be a new consensus GOAT.

TheWalkman
12-21-2013, 07:09 PM
http://www.endoftheworldcounter.com/images/impact.jpg

We won't be around. :confusedshrug:

JimmyMcAdocious
12-21-2013, 07:10 PM
All physical sports will be obsolete.

Mental sports like Chess and newly created games will takeover.

iTare
12-21-2013, 07:13 PM
All physical sports will be obsolete.

Mental sports like Chess and newly created games will takeover.
League of Legends will be the most watched thing in the world. Sunday Night League of Legends will break records. :lol

Rose'sACL
12-21-2013, 07:14 PM
just like drugs were made to make athletes faster in 80 till now. drugs will be made by then which will make athletes play till their mid 40s. i will really not be surprised if this happens.
superstars will play till 40 at least and will break all the records set by current players.

League of Legends will be the most watched thing in the world. Sunday Night League of Legends will break records. :lol
i hope dota 2 does that. LoL is just a cash cow owned by a chinese company now that doesn't care for the game at all.
i worked for valve for an year and they really enjoy the games they work on.

Sakkreth
12-21-2013, 07:25 PM
just like drugs were made to make athletes faster in 80 till now. drugs will be made by then which will make athletes play till their mid 40s. i will really not be surprised if this happens.
superstars will play till 40 at least and will break all the records set by current players.

i hope dota 2 does that. LoL is just a cash cow owned by a chinese company now that doesn't care for the game at all.
i worked for valve for an year and they really enjoy the games they work on.

Both of thsoe games are way easier, simplier, less skill requiring games than starcraft, starcraft is not as popular, (it's right behind those two though), because you have to buy it and it's too difficult for casuals to play it, it's the real competition, where real training and skill is at, way better game to spectate however (many that don't play starcraft watch starcraft, not the case with mobas, so starcraft is closer to traditional sports in that sense). So yeah if esports surpass traditional sports, I atleast hope that it's rts genre not moba...

mlh1981
12-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Jerseys will be covered by advertising, and the newer NBA arenas will cater elusively to upper class folks with suites lining the entire facility.

Rose'sACL
12-21-2013, 07:47 PM
Both of thsoe games are way easier, simplier, less skill requiring games than starcraft, starcraft is not as popular, (it's right behind those two though), because you have to buy it and it's too difficult for casuals to play it, it's the real competition, where real training and skill is at, way better game to spectate however (many that don't play starcraft watch starcraft, not the case with mobas, so starcraft is closer to traditional sports in that sense). So yeah if esports surpass traditional sports, I atleast hope that it's rts genre not moba...
i have played both for countless hours and drafting phase alone in a professional dota game of high quality requires more intelligence than a whole top tier pro game of starcraft plus the fact that you have to work together with 4 more people to pull off a successful gank. i hope people don't confuse lol and dota 2. dota is 5-6 times as complex as LoL but never had the backing of a big company till valve made dota 2. riot is the one pumping money into lol while dota 2 has many independent tournaments. starcraft is dead anyways. blizzard is going the EA way and ruining everything. Warcraft 3 is the best game of all time by a big margin if you factor in all the mods.
problem is that people think world of warcraft and warcaft 3 are same thing.

Marchesk
12-21-2013, 07:47 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4062/4287975347_cc43dbdba3.jpg

flipogb
12-21-2013, 07:54 PM
referees won't be human

moe94
12-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Robotic and digital sports shall overtake silly humans and their limited physical attributes. When they become mainstream, real sports probably begin to lose steam and fast.

Foster5k
12-21-2013, 08:00 PM
Good question. Let's take a look at the past, to learn about the future.

50 years ago the world was very different. It's almost hard to imagine how such great change can happen seemingly over night.

50 years ago, from today, would mean we are looking at the 1960s. A time where the threat of a nuclear holocaust was a reality, instead of a dull movie plot in a James Bond flick.

50 years ago Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream. It would set fourth a wave of civil reform and change forever the landscape of American society.

50 years ago Muhammad Ali became a champion in professional boxing. He captivated a world and became a sports icon.

50 years ago professional athletes realized sports was becoming a big business and there was too much money at risk. So, they did whatever necessary to gain an edge. The rise of PEDS would be the result.

Yes, things were a lot different than today. If we all were looking through the eyes of someone of the 60s, we would see the world completely different.

I imagine we can say the same for the people that will come after us.

Sports, in my opinion, will only rise in profits/popularity.

Hell, about 2000+ years ago sports still thrived in the form of gladiators fighting in a game of death while on-lookers(fans) cheered or jeered.

I can see the NBA only rising in popularity in 50 years. There will be many greats that will fall and rise. One thing is for sure, it'll be one hell of a ride. Just like the last 50 years up till now.

Hopefully, the human race doesn't surfer some doomsday event. Asteroid, super volcanoes, etc...

It's bound to happen, nature is undefeated.

Legends66NBA7
12-21-2013, 08:07 PM
This era would be mocked, guaranteed.

SacJB Shady
12-21-2013, 08:14 PM
50 years from now, we will be controlling robots to do the work. Robots will be able to shoot with 99.9 percent accuracy.

NumberSix
12-21-2013, 08:14 PM
People in 50 years will view SD Jordan games the way we look at B&W Wilt games.

People in the 2060's will discredit this era with "tall black guys" when the future NBA is dominated by 5'10 Asians and a handful of South Americans.

Marchesk
12-21-2013, 08:21 PM
50 years from now, we will be controlling robots to do the work. Robots will be able to shoot with 99.9 percent accuracy.

We'll just have to raise the rims. 15 foot rims should lower the efficiency to 95.6%.

poido123
12-21-2013, 08:22 PM
50 years from now I'll be 81.

Scary thought.

I think the NBA will have some minor rule changes, but much the same as it is now.

NumberSix
12-21-2013, 08:25 PM
50 years from now I'll be 81.

Scary thought.

I think the NBA will have some minor rule changes, but much the same as it is now.
I'll have been reincarnated by that time, so I'll be like 7.

Marchesk
12-21-2013, 08:27 PM

feet tall, playing point guard for the Knicks with cybernetic implants and iChip that feeds you updated stats on your defender's tendencies, and how much launching a half court shot will hurt your efficiency?

NumberSix
12-21-2013, 08:27 PM
In sports in 50 years from now....

Will people who were genetically engineered test tube people be allowed to complete against natural borns?

flipogb
12-21-2013, 08:29 PM
50yrs when all players are playing 72-82 games with ease, the current era will be known for its injuries and theyl say that the best didn't face good enough competition because of it.

Marchesk
12-21-2013, 08:30 PM
In sports in 50 years from now....

Will people who were genetically engineered test tube people be allowed to complete against natural borns?

Can you be reincarnated into a test tube baby, or are they like gingers?

poido123
12-21-2013, 08:32 PM

Why would they reincarnate you? Or me for that matter, if that in fact does exist :D

Sakkreth
12-21-2013, 08:32 PM
i have played both for countless hours and drafting phase alone in a professional dota game of high quality requires more intelligence than a whole top tier pro game of starcraft plus the fact that you have to work together with 4 more people to pull off a successful gank. i hope people don't confuse lol and dota 2. dota is 5-6 times as complex as LoL but never had the backing of a big company till valve made dota 2. riot is the one pumping money into lol while dota 2 has many independent tournaments. starcraft is dead anyways. blizzard is going the EA way and ruining everything. Warcraft 3 is the best game of all time by a big margin if you factor in all the mods.

Problem is you are a fcking casual and ur opinion is irrelevant as u don't even really know what actual starcraft is and not even close to imaginaning how deep and complex it is. Dota draft requires intelligence, but it's more like chess game decision except atleast 5 times easier.
http://kotaku.com/5865779/starcraft-ii-might-be-better-than-chess-for-science

NumberSix
12-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Can you be reincarnated into a test tube baby, or are they like gingers?
No, you can, but it's random.

However, in 50 years, the league will have a Shaq, LeBron, Jordan DNA clones on every team.

2065-2066 Lakers

C. Shaquille CloNeal
PF. Karl Maclone
SF. LeClone James
SG. Copy Bryant
PG. Cloney Parker

moe94
12-21-2013, 08:37 PM

However, in 50 years, the league will have a Shaq, LeBron, Jordan DNA clones on every team.

2065-2066 Lakers

C. Shaquille CloNeal
PF. Karl Maclone
SF. LeClone James
SG. Copy Bryant
PG. Cloney Parker

Best post you've ever made. Possibly best post anyone has ever made.

Marchesk
12-21-2013, 08:38 PM
2065-2066 Lakers

C. Shaquille CloNeal
PF. Karl Maclone
SF. LeClone James
SG. Copy Bryant
PG. Cloney Parker

:roll:

poido123
12-21-2013, 08:43 PM

2065-2066 Lakers

C. Shaquille CloNeal
PF. Karl Maclone
SF. LeClone James
SG. Copy Bryant
PG. Cloney Parker

That was clever, I'll give you that :applause: :oldlol:

senelcoolidge
12-21-2013, 08:46 PM
lebron would be considered a scrub that played in a weak era. Kobe who? The traveling violations will become even more lax..so no more dribbling in games. Just guys running with the ball.

NumberSix
That was clever, I'll give you that :applause: :oldlol:
I was gonna put "Recycle Jordan" and "Steve Rehash" but I though "Copy Bryant" and "Cloney Parker" were funnier.

STATUTORY

I agree about the difficulty, I played both mobas and sc at moderately non embarrassing levels and the amount of micro isn't even comparable. I'm surprised with how highs the payouts are getting in dota 2 and LoL for example that there isn't arbitrage from the sc players to just go over to the mobas scene and DOMINATE.

moe94
12-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I was gonna put "Recycle Jordan" and "Steve Rehash" but I though "Copy Bryant" and "Cloney Parker" were funnier.

Good call on Copy Bryant. That was particularly good.

Steve Rehash is also god tier. Should've made him the 6th man. It was too good to pass up.

NumberSix
12-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Good call on Copy Bryant. That was particularly good.

Steve Rehash is also god tier. Should've made him the 6th man. It was too good to pass up.
Bench players?

moe94
12-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Bench players?

Clones are above exhaustion? :eek:

NumberSix
12-21-2013, 08:57 PM
Clones are above exhaustion? :eek:
Bench could be....

C. Built Sameberlain
PF. Twin Duncan
SF. Like Miller
SG. Recycle Jordan
PG. Steve Rehash

poido123
12-21-2013, 08:58 PM

Recycle Jordan :roll: :roll: :roll:

Steve Rehash:oldlol:

Marchesk
12-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Bench could be....

C. Built Sameberlain
PF. Twin Duncan
SF. Like Miller
SG. Recycle Jordan
PG. Steve Rehash

:lol You're putting alpha clones on the bench? :facepalm

moe94
12-21-2013, 09:01 PM
Bench could be....

C. Built Sameberlain
PF. Twin Duncan
SF. Like Miller
SG. Recycle Jordan
PG. Steve Rehash

I want you to know I audibly laughed at built Built Sameberlain and Twin Duncan. :cheers:

inclinerator
12-21-2013, 09:14 PM
it probably wouldnt be as popular, there would be virtual reality simulations and what not. old players would be brought back and played against current players.

Sakkreth
12-22-2013, 06:58 PM
I agree about the difficulty, I played both mobas and sc at moderately non embarrassing levels and the amount of micro isn't even comparable. I'm surprised with how highs the payouts are getting in dota 2 and LoL for example that there isn't arbitrage from the sc players to just go over to the mobas scene and DOMINATE.

Guy that I know irl wasn't able to crack gm league in sc, he switched to league cause he had less time to play (not a whole day everyday anymore), some time later he made into lcs playing in staples center lmao, he hismelf says that sc is 20 times harder.

eriX
12-22-2013, 07:41 PM

:biggums:
do people playing dota/LoL without playing SC first even have over 100apm?

Sakkreth
12-22-2013, 07:51 PM
:biggums:
do people playing dota/LoL without playing SC first even have over 100apm?

I think they have around 100, like 90 of that is right clicking the ground when they move though.