PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford: Anthony Bennet: Worst #1 pick in 20 years

Godzuki
12-24-2013, 02:45 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1899413-espns-chad-ford-anthony-bennett-looking-like-worst-no-1-pick-in-20-years?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2

Anthony Bennett has been terrible.

How terrible? He's apparently the worst top pick in two decades.

Or so cautions ESPN's Chad Ford.

"It's very early, but right now, he's looking like the worst in the past 20 years," Ford explains, via The Plain Dealer's Jodie Valade. "That includes Greg Oden. Oden was injured all the time, but when he played, he at least looked like a No. 1 pick."

Band-Aids can be found down Aisle 2, Mr. Bennett. You're going to need a dozen industrial-sized boxes to dress the wounds Ford inflicts.

Stock up on some Mad Libs while you're at checkout, too. You'll need a distraction for when you realize Ford is totally serious and completely justified.

Bennett is averaging 2.2 points and two rebounds on 27.7 percent shooting in 20 games this season. He's only logging 10 minutes a night, but that's because he hasn't given the Cleveland Cavaliers any reasons to play him more.

It took Bennett five games to nail his first shot of the year. That's about the level of play Jason Kidd demonstrated near the end of his career.

In those four previous games, Bennett's stat line looked a little something like this:

Those are some pretty depressing numbers.

They also make his continued struggles far from surprising. There was an initial shock, but if he was off to a historically bad start, then it's only fitting that he should find himself the subject of notorious draft busts now.

"Still early" isn't a good enough excuse anymore. "Bust" may be a strong label, but Bennett is well on his way to deserving such a tag.

The last rookie to average under three points and 2.1 rebounds while connecting on fewer than 30 percent of his shots in at least 10 minutes per game for an entire season was Craig Brackins in 2010-11. He's no longer in the NBA.

Will Anthony Bennett go down as worst No. 1 pick of last 20 years?
Most definitely No, he'll turn things around. Way too early to tell. Submit Vote vote to see results

Before him, there was Will Blalock, drafted 60th overall in 2006. He fizzled out after just one season.

See where I'm going with this?

"Hopeless" isn't an adequate word to describe Bennett. There is still time for him to turn things around. He had shoulder surgery over the offseason, and any lingering effects could be negatively impacting his play. But hope is waning.

"I’m just as surprised as everyone else," Bennett said of being drafted first overall, per the New York Times' Benjamin Hoffman.

Something tells me Bennett's surprise, then, will be surpassed by this one—the realization that he could be the worst No. 1 pick in 20 years.

moe94
12-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Nope. Draft itself was mediocre. Darko is still worse and there is nothing that Bennet can do to change that.

Nick Young
12-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Kwame Brown.

Michael Olawakandi.

Bennet has alot to do to live up to their levels of failure but so far he is off to a good start.

Pretty sad this fat kid can't even palm a basketball doe.

tomtucker
12-24-2013, 03:00 PM
http://cdn2-www.hoopsvibe.com/assets/uploads/2013/05/file_171019_0_draft-lottery-130521-670.jpg

K Xerxes
12-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Worst part is that the pick came completely out of left field. Wasn't this everyone's reaction to the pick?

http://persephonemagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/chris-rock-huh-face.gif

Foster5k
12-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Lmao! Chris Rock looking like that donkey off Shrek.

Anyhow, very few people actually thought taking Bennet #1 overall was a great idea to begin with. Doubt even the naysayers knew he would turn out to be this bad. Either way, the draft was pretty mediocre and no one really stood out over the other.

He has time to improve, however that time is running out.

East_Stone_Ya
12-24-2013, 03:17 PM
he needs to be traded

senelcoolidge
12-24-2013, 03:24 PM
Send him to the D league. He will get playing time there and regain some sort of confidence.

Sarcastic
12-24-2013, 03:25 PM
Nope. Draft itself was mediocre. Darko is still worse and there is nothing that Bennet can do to change that.

Ford said "#1" pick.

salwan
12-24-2013, 03:26 PM
He would rather never win a ring than having no eyebrows. He's a Loser without any hunger (no pun intended) to win.

Marchesk
12-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Either way, the draft was pretty mediocre and no one really stood out over the other..

Yeah, but come on. There was a top 5 everyone pretty much agreed on, and Bennett wasn't in it.

moe94
12-24-2013, 03:30 PM
Ford said "#1" pick.
Yeah, you're right.

Going before Pierce/Dirk/Carter has got to be worse than Bennet, right?

He would rather never win a ring than having no eyebrows. He's a Loser without any hunger (no pun intended) to win.

What? It was a silly hypothetical question that he brushed off like anyone else would. Besides, do you have any idea how much eyebrows mean to a person's face? You'd look like a mutated creature without them. Hating on dude for something that trivial is hilarious.

jzek
12-24-2013, 03:32 PM
he needs to be traded

Yes, preferably to Miami.

CelticBaller
12-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Hopefully he can turn it around, if he keeps this up he may end up out of the league soon

knickballer
12-24-2013, 03:48 PM
It's amazing how fat and out of shape the guy looked coming into training camp and into the season. That alone tells me the guy is going to be a bust.

Dude can barely dunk atm and has no lift what so ever in his shots/dunks.

Lets say he was a second round pick he would have been cut in training camp and out of the league completely at this point likely.

chocolatethunder
12-24-2013, 04:22 PM
It's amazing how fat and out of shape the guy looked coming into training camp and into the season. That alone tells me the guy is going to be a bust.

Dude can barely dunk atm and has no lift what so ever in his shots/dunks.

Lets say he was a second round pick he would have been cut in training camp and out of the league completely at this point likely.
Not sticking up for him because he's been a disaster but he was hurt and got out of shape. There's no excuse now, but that's why he started the season out of shape.

midatlantic09
12-24-2013, 04:31 PM

But Melo always looks out of shape and is still is a top 5-10 player. There may be hope for Bennett.

LA_Showtime
12-24-2013, 05:33 PM
He hasn't even played a full season, is out of shape coming of injury, plays for a team that's a mess, and isn't receiving consistent minutes. Give the kid a break.

veilside23
12-24-2013, 06:26 PM
any cavs fans know what's behind this or this is a testament that great college player isnt always a good nba player... ?

Yankstar
12-24-2013, 07:53 PM
Not sticking up for him because he's been a disaster but he was hurt and got out of shape. There's no excuse now, but that's why he started the season out of shape.

He wasn't just de-conditioned, he was fat. That is not just not working out, that is being lazy, over eating, not looking after your own damned body when you know you are one of the top first round picks next season and you whole NBA future and millions of dollars in salary are on the line. So what if you have should surgery. Go on the treadmill or something to stay in shape, get a good diet, do what you can to prepare. This guy is so mentally weak he makes Dwight and his sugar binges look like kobe.

Look at the shit he says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Traqj5RJbxg

Lol I won't be MVP if it means I have to dress like an old guy. That translates into I won't be in the NBA if I have to work hard and keep in shape...

CelticBaller
12-24-2013, 07:56 PM
He hasn't even played a full season, is out of shape coming of injury, plays for a team that's a mess, and isn't receiving consistent minutes. Give the kid a break.
He's the #1 pick, he's expected to contribute from the get go :coleman:

ballup
12-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Maybe for the Cavs FO, not by any other person.

I<3NBA
12-25-2013, 01:21 AM
a fat fker that wants to rain threes :lol

RedBlackAttack
12-25-2013, 01:28 AM
He wasn't just de-conditioned, he was fat. That is not just not working out, that is being lazy, over eating, not looking after your own damned body when you know you are one of the top first round picks next season and you whole NBA future and millions of dollars in salary are on the line. So what if you have should surgery. Go on the treadmill or something to stay in shape, get a good diet, do what you can to prepare. This guy is so mentally weak he makes Dwight and his sugar binges look like kobe.

Look at the shit he says:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Traqj5RJbxg

Lol I won't be MVP if it means I have to dress like an old guy. That translates into I won't be in the NBA if I have to work hard and keep in shape...
Yes, because that interview was completely serious. The question alone was an inside joke for basketball fans.

Jesus... people are dumb. :oldlol:

He should have stood up, berated the interviewer for asking him such an asinine question and given a long-winded explanation how important it is that he become a great player.

That would have been completely appropriate under the circumstances.

I'm absolutely certain he wouldn't put on a stupid sports coat and tie combination for a chance at becoming the best player in the league and everything that comes with it... including the millions upon millions of dollars that accompany such a position in the NBA.

knickballer
12-25-2013, 01:34 AM

This. It's different if he came into training flash in shape, showed flashes in games and was saying the rights things on/off the court. I think the fans would be able to let his struggles go in the meantime.

But the fact that he's fat, out of shape, lazy and looks unmotivated while playing is inexcusable. It's not like he's even showing any flashes of promise what so ever, he looks flat out terrible...

RedBlackAttack
12-25-2013, 01:40 AM
This. It's different if he came into training flash in shape, showed flashes in games and was saying the rights things on/off the court. I think the fans would be able to let his struggles go in the meantime.

But the fact that he's fat, out of shape, lazy and looks unmotivated while playing is inexcusable. It's not like he's even showing any flashes of promise what so ever, he looks flat out terrible...
In order to look "flat-out terrible," you need to play. He is currently barely playing. He's gone over 20 minutes one time this whole season. Over the last month, if he gets in the game, it's for a max of about seven minutes.

Honestly, I doubt 90% of the people commenting on Bennett have even seen him play.

I've watched every minute of every Cavs game and even I haven't seen him play much.

D-Wait
12-25-2013, 01:41 AM
a fat fker that wants to rain threes :lol

He stopped chucking threes like the start of the season... He improved a little bit on offense, but still having problems with learning a new position (SF)
He only should get minutes as a backup PF, but Mike Brown loves Earl The Goat Clark :facepalm

bdreason
12-25-2013, 01:45 AM
any cavs fans know what's behind this or this is a testament that great college player isnt always a good nba player... ?

I actually thought Bennet would contribute at the NBA level right away, but I didn't know about his shoulder injury and surgery. Of course, I'm also terrible when it comes to scouting; I thought Beasley would beast and Irving would suck. :confusedshrug:

Also, I don't know if we should consider Bennet a 'great' college player. He put up good, efficient stats in the Mountain West Conference for one season. I mean, we've seen far more dominate college players than Bennet fail at the NBA level, so it wouldn't be shocking.

bdreason
12-25-2013, 01:48 AM
ps- I actually like the MWC.

ILLsmak
12-25-2013, 01:50 AM
The cavs have good reason to suck again this year.

As I posted before, if he's a good piece, he'll be worth it because he'll be with Kyrie and whoever else they get this/next year.

-Smak

knickballer
12-25-2013, 01:53 AM
In order to look "flat-out terrible," you need to play. He is currently barely playing. He's gone over 20 minutes one time this whole season. Over the last month, if he gets in the game, it's for a max of about seven minutes.

Honestly, I doubt 90% of the people commenting on Bennett have even seen him play.

I've watched every minute of every Cavs game and even I haven't seen him play much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lt3Xw_8oMI

I never judge players on highlight videos but this is something else. When your highlight video in the NBA consists of missed dunks, brick after brick and getting swatted by the opponent you're in trouble.

D-Wait
12-25-2013, 02:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lt3Xw_8oMI

I never judge players on highlight videos but this is something else. When your highlight video in the NBA consists of missed dunks, brick after brick and getting swatted by the opponent you're in trouble.

"All of Anthony Bennett's makes and misses for the first 12 games of the '13-'14 NBA season."

He was terribly out of shape, rusty and also a bit nervous in his first games... he actually improved a little bit on his efficiency lately, shooting 43% in December, though partly garbage time minutes... Still not getting much playing time

This.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
12-25-2013, 02:35 AM
Can't believe people are rolling out the excuses carpet for this dude.
He couldn't put down the fork in the off season, that much is obvious.
Apparently he has sleep apnea and asthma, so those could be considerations for his nearly inexcusable frame for a professional athlete.
If that is the case, and it is a major contributor to him being a pudgy son of a bitch, it makes the pick even more suspect because there's no way the Cavs weren't aware of his health issues prior to taking him number one overall.

There's no incentive to defend this guy at this point.
He is off to a historically terrible start for any high draft pick, especially the fist overall one.
It seems obvious he won't live up to that draft status now, but the onus is on him to prove he belongs in the NBA the very least.
He hasn't produced at all, so the only way people who are making excuses him don't look like delusional homers or family members/friends of Bennet is to wait til he produces at a semi respectable level.
If he does that, great, you can bump threads and make people eat crow.
If he doesn't then everyone is going to forget about him and no one can even say "I told you so" because the people saying that were proven right when he couldn't score in his first few NBA games.

This is an obvious situation where a player just doesn't pass the eye or stats test and continues to struggle, until a player like that produces, then you aren't going to convince anyone otherwise and are just making yourself look stupid when this dude is making the Organization look like they don't know what they are doing.

Human Error
12-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Kwame and Olowokandi at the very least provided the post presence on defense just by being there. Anthony Bennett, if he were an undrafted rookie, would have been cut already.

hawkfan
12-25-2013, 02:56 AM
The Cavs should put him on the inactive roster, come up with a bogus injury, have him stay behind and work out for two to three months so he loses weight and gets his conditioning back. In two to three months, he could lose anywhere from 15-20 pounds with really tough workouts.

Then send him to the D-League for some run, and finally bring him back at the end of the season. He would be in shape and would provide a good spark for the team. Then he would head into the off-season on a good note.

Right now, he can't get into game shape so when he gets on the floor, he is a disaster.