PDA

View Full Version : Woult this win MVP today?

Marchesk
12-27-2013, 05:04 AM
16/16/7 with 5 blocks on 69% and the team wins 68 games?

Durant and Lebron are still putting up the same stats and with the same team success.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-27-2013, 05:09 AM

Durant and Lebron are still putting up the same stats and with the same team success.
Need to How impactful is said player defensively? How does he score on offense?

Breezy
12-27-2013, 05:11 AM

Yes absolutely. No team will win probably win that many games this year and combined with those stats and lebron voter fatigue Player x would absolutely win MVP.

Illuminati
12-27-2013, 05:12 AM
Is he the best player on his team? If so, then yes. The advantage here over LeBron/Durant is the 68 wins.

moe94
12-27-2013, 05:14 AM
Is he the best player on his team? If so, then yes. The advantage here over LeBron/Durant is the 68 wins.
What? Those stats are beyond insane.

RoundMoundOfReb
12-27-2013, 05:23 AM
I imagine this is someone from the 60s/70s so I doubt the 16 rebounds would translate to 16 today with the pace change.

alenleomessi
12-27-2013, 05:28 AM
joel embiid in few years?

Illuminati
12-27-2013, 05:29 AM
What? Those stats are beyond insane.

I meant to put main advantage. If LeBron finished the season with 17/17/8 on 70% shooting (for example), but his team finished 60-22, the 8 less wins will be the deciding the factor.

AintNoSunshine
12-27-2013, 05:30 AM
He has my vote

Marchesk
12-27-2013, 05:30 AM
I imagine this is someone from the 60s/70s so I doubt the 16 rebounds would translate to 16 today with the pace change.

That is pace adjusted. The actual stat line was:

24/24/8 on 68.3%. I don't know the blocks but somewhere between 7-10 a game is what I've seen estimated for other seasons (based on counting for available footage and unofficial counts from back then).

It's a rough adjustment based on FGA, team rebounding difference and reducing minutes to 40 a game. Team assists were close to the same as they are today. FG% was about 10% less that season.

And yes, his team did win 68 games and the title that season. We could adjust it down to 60 for today's league, just to put on equal ground with OKC and Miami. although Miami won 66 last season so ...

Marchesk
12-27-2013, 05:36 AM
Need to How impactful is said player defensively? How does he score on offense?

Scoring is in the post and at the rim. I'm not sure about overall defense outside of rim protection. Would have to ask someone else.

Marchesk
12-27-2013, 05:39 AM

With that stat line, wouldn't you think they were the best player on their team? As for the win total, just say OKC, Miami and team X finishes with the same wins. Is 16/16/7/5/69% enough to beat out what Durant and Lebron are currently putting up?

LAZERUSS
12-27-2013, 05:39 AM
That is pace adjusted. The actual stat line was:

24/24/8 on 68.3%. I don't know the blocks but somewhere between 7-10 a game is what I've seen estimated for other seasons (based on counting for available footage and unofficial counts from back then).

It's a rough adjustment based on FGA, team rebounding difference and reducing minutes to 40 a game. Team assists were close to the same as they are today. FG% was about 10% less that season.

And yes, his team did win 68 games and the title that season. We could adjust it down to 60 for today's league, just to put on equal ground with OKC and Miami. although Miami won 66 last season so ...

While I applaud the transitory numbers, it must be noted that Wilt only attempted 14 FGAs per game that season. To adjust his ppg simply based on pace is actually very unfair. BTW, even Rick Barry, who averaged 35.6 ppg that season, acknowledged that he, Barry, won the scoring title, only because Chamberlain didn't want it.

Chamberlain had the NBA season high game of 58 points that season (on 26-34 shooting), and also had a couple of 40+ point games, one of them being a 42 point game on 18-18 shooting from the floor. Clearly, Wilt could have easily scored much more in that 66-67 season.

And, as a sidenote, the very next season Chamberlain had FOUR 50+ point games, including the NBA season high of 68....in a season in which he "only" averaged 24.3 ppg.

And even as late as his 68-69 season, he hung two more 60+ point games, including one of 66 on 29-35 shooting from the field.

Oh, and since you are placing that '67 Chamberlain in 2013, keep in mind that his FG% in '67 was .683, which came in a league that had an eFG% of .441. Today's NBA is currently shooting at an eFG% rate of .496. So, Wilt's adjusted FG% would have risen to .... .768 in 2013.

Marchesk
12-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Damn you Lazeruss, I was trying to avoid saying Wilt, though it would have become obvious. That name is a bit polarizing. I just wanted to see what people thought of a stat line something along those lines in today's league. If there was a player putting up something like that, and their team won 60+ games, would they be MVP over Lebron or Durant?

LAZERUSS
12-27-2013, 05:46 AM
Damn you Lazeruss, I was trying to avoid saying Wilt, though it would have become obvious. That name is a bit polarizing. I just wanted to see what people thought of a stat line something along those lines in today's league. If there was a player putting up something like that, and their team won 60+ games, would they be MVP over Lebron or Durant?

Sorry, but even your title was obvious.

Trollsmasher
12-27-2013, 05:51 AM
It would

32/10/10/3/2 on 60% would win it too

RoundMoundOfReb
12-27-2013, 05:54 AM
I think block numbers would take a massive hit considering the 3 point line and the amount 3 pointers players take nowadays. I could see him maintaining a ppg in the 20s but the rebounds would take a hit as well. probably something like 22/16/5 with 4ish blocks. Yeah I could see Wilt winning mvp.

Marchesk
12-27-2013, 05:59 AM
It would

32/10/10/3/2 on 60% would win it too

Is that supposed to be Oscar-adjusted stats? 60%? He shot well, but not close to that high, I don't think.

LAZERUSS
12-27-2013, 06:05 AM
I think block numbers would take a massive hit considering the 3 point line and the amount 3 pointers players take nowadays. I could see him maintaining a ppg in the 20s but the rebounds would take a hit as well. probably something like 22/16/5 with 4ish blocks. Yeah I could see Wilt winning mvp.

Chamberlain's blocks would be interesting. ThaRegul8r actually researched Wilt's block totals from his very last season (72-73), which, of course, was the year before the NBA actually began to officially record them. Keep in mind this was from a 36 year old Chamberlain, playing on a surgically repaired knee. In that season, he averaged 5.42 bpg. Only 12 years later, in 84-85, Marc Eaton would set the "official" record of 5.56 bpg.

Now, whether Eaton would be capable of 5+ bpg in today's NBA in also speculative, but in 2012, Ibaka averaged 3.7 bpg and in only 27 mpg.

no pun intended
12-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Woult

lmao iseewhatyoudidtharrr

RoundMoundOfReb
12-27-2013, 07:32 AM
Chamberlain's blocks would be interesting. ThaRegul8r actually researched Wilt's block totals from his very last season (72-73), which, of course, was the year before the NBA actually began to officially record them. Keep in mind this was from a 36 year old Chamberlain, playing on a surgically repaired knee. In that season, he averaged 5.42 bpg. Only 12 years later, in 84-85, Marc Eaton would set the "official" record of 5.56 bpg.

Now, whether Eaton would be capable of 5+ bpg in today's NBA in also speculative, but in 2012, Ibaka averaged 3.7 bpg and in only 27 mpg.
That year Ibaka would basically just go for the block every time. I remember him being quite easy to pump fake.

Psileas
12-27-2013, 08:39 AM

I knew it was Wilt from the first time I saw the stats.
I disagree with the pace adjustment of the scoring number department, especially that of big men. The fast pace of a game doesn't propose that the "5 vs 5" situations are as frequent as in a slow paced game, quite the opposite, and Wilt after his first seasons was usually, like most big men, the last man to take offensive position. Guards set the pace, not centers. The only somewhat significant negative scoring adjustment would have to concern playing time, and even so, I don't see prime Wilt play below 40 mpg today, especially with today's competition at C.

rhowen4
12-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Omg It Was Wilt The Whole Time

LAZERUSS
12-27-2013, 02:21 PM
I knew it was Wilt from the first time I saw the stats.
I disagree with the pace adjustment of the scoring number department, especially that of big men. The fast pace of a game doesn't propose that the "5 vs 5" situations are as frequent as in a slow paced game, quite the opposite, and Wilt after his first seasons was usually, like most big men, the last man to take offensive position. Guards set the pace, not centers. The only somewhat significant negative scoring adjustment would have to concern playing time, and even so, I don't see prime Wilt play below 40 mpg today, especially with today's competition at C.

You and I are pretty much on the same page regarding "pace."

The reality is/was, no player is going to average 40 FGAs per game in a season in today's NBA. And no player is going to average 27 rpg in the current NBA, either.

But, I have seen the "paceologists" just blow up Oscar's stats. True, Oscar would probably not get 12-13 rpg in today's NBA, but he would certainly be capable of 7-8. But we know that assists were considerably more difficult to come by back in the 60's (BTW, Oscar won apg titles by as much as three per game, and close to 30% more than the next best player.) So, let Oscar handle the ball as much as the current PGs do, and he would easily get his assists. And, as far as his scoring...Oscar was scoring 30 ppg on 22 FGAs. And he was doing so in league's that shot far worse in terms of eFG%'s. Here again, if MJ could put up a 32-8-8 season, on 22 FGAs per game, in leagues that shot an eFG% of .489, why wouldn't Oscar have been capable of it?

And I already addressed Wilt's '67 season numbers. He averaged 24.1 ppg on 14 FGAs per game that season. I don't see any reason to reduce his FGAs simply because the "pace" of today's NBA is lower. True, his rebounding would decline, but his assists would not. AND, if the "paceologists" are going to try to diminish Wilt's numbers based on "pace", then they have tom acknowledge that Chamberlain's FG% would be MUCH higher in today's NBA. His .683 in '67 translates to .768 in the current NBA.

I would argue that a '67 Chamberlain, playing 42 mpg (very conservative, but certainly it has been accomplished by others in the last decade), would put up something like a 20-17-7-5 .750 season. And before someone challenges that rebounding figure, keep in mind that Kevin Love averaged 15.2 rpg in only 36 mpg a couple of years ago. There is no way that any player on the planet would be capable of outrebounding a prime Chamberlain over the course of an entire season. If anything, my take on Wilt's rpg is probably low.

K Xerxes
12-27-2013, 02:23 PM
Yea, but it would choke in the playoffs tho.

LAZERUSS
12-27-2013, 02:25 PM
Yea, but it would choke in the playoffs tho.

Well, even though he NEVER did, he certainly didn't choke at all in '67, when he completely shredded both Russell and Thurmond, arguably, along with Chamberlain, himself, the three greatest defensive forces in NBA history, and led his 68 win team to a dominating world title.

moe94
12-27-2013, 02:35 PM
lol @ OP thinking it wasn't blatant who he was referring to.

KingBeasley08
12-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Probably but same player would probably drop to 10 points per game in the playoffs

Mass Debator
12-27-2013, 07:09 PM
How about a 10/10/10 70/0/80 with 4 blocks and 3 steals with 1.0 turnover stat line? 65 wins.

K Xerxes
12-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Well, even though he NEVER did, he certainly didn't choke at all in '67, when he completely shredded both Russell and Thurmond, arguably, along with Chamberlain, himself, the three greatest defensive forces in NBA history, and led his 68 win team to a dominating world title.

Russell, Kareem, Hakeem and Shaq > Wilt

Ultimate stat padder in a weak era = 2 rings = :yaohappy:

Psileas
12-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Russell, Kareem, Hakeem and Shaq > Wilt

Ultimate stat padder in a weak era = 2 rings = :yaohappy:

Nice rebuttal, while being off topic since your first message...

K Xerxes
12-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Nice rebuttal, while being off topic since your first message...

Yes, I'm trolling, but it's quite interesting you say I'm being off topic. Particularly as the resident Wilt-worshipper here has derailed multiple threads with copypasta Wilt essays. Anyone mentions anything to do with Wilt and how many 'as a side note, Wilt has a record 70 60+ point games blah blah' do we get when it has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand?

Do you call him out then buddy?

Psileas
12-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Yes, I'm trolling, but it's quite interesting you say I'm being off topic. Particularly as the resident Wilt-worshipper here has derailed multiple threads with copypasta Wilt essays. Anyone mentions anything to do with Wilt and how many 'as a side note, Wilt has a record 70 60+ point games blah blah' do we get when it has NOTHING to do with the topic at hand?

Do you call him out then buddy?

Do you call out trolls?
Do you call out haters?
The thing is, I don't need to call them out, because there are already enough posters who do so anyway. And some of the ones who do call them out are not better themselves. So, by doing the "right thing" and calling out Wilt fans who derail topics, I achieve nothing more than empowering the opposing side. And by calling out both sides, I sound like a mod - and even mods here rarely do this thing. Heck, I don't even spend much time calling out trolls and haters myself, but this seemed too blatant to miss.
To be honest, I hadn't viewed many of your posts in the past on this topic, so I wasn't sure whether you were just messing around or you were serious.

K Xerxes
12-27-2013, 08:49 PM
To be honest, I hadn't viewed many of your posts in the past on this topic, so I wasn't sure whether you were just messing around or you were serious.

Well, I tried to make it as obvious as possible.

To be clear, I don't really have a solid view on the Wilt and Russell era because I wasn't there to see it and I haven't seen an awful lot of full games from there. However, I do find LAZERUSS' redudant essays full of cherry picked stats and obsessive Wilt worship a tad unbelievable.

Although I admit I don't know too much about the era, I've debated LAZERUSS on the topic of Hakeem before, and if his use of ridiculously cherry picked stats there is anything to go by, I find anything he says about Wilt hard to believe...