PDA

View Full Version : Do you believe in Jonas Valanciunas?

moe94
12-27-2013, 02:56 PM
Do you buy into his "potential?"

He's only 21 and shows insane offensive talent for a position greatly in need.

Inferno
12-27-2013, 02:59 PM
He has potential, but as long as his coach gives him like 20 mpg, he wont meet expectations

Levity
12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
it doesnt seem like dwaye casey does.

"We're patient [but] he's our guy, he's our starting center for a long time and we're just going to have to roll with it."

a quote from the other week.

Brokenbeat
12-27-2013, 03:01 PM
He's no Terrance Jones...

JK Sakkreth, lol.

moe94
12-27-2013, 03:13 PM

JK Sakkreth, lol.

Not even Terrance Jones is a Terrance Jones.

Sakkreth
12-27-2013, 03:16 PM

JK Sakkreth, lol.

Terrance is trash, Terrence is on his way to goat though. :coleman:

Sakkreth
12-27-2013, 03:19 PM
And if to be on topic. I think he could become second best player on championship caliber team, 19/11 with 2 blocks on good fg%.

Brokenbeat
12-27-2013, 03:33 PM
And if to be on topic. I think he could become second best player on championship caliber team, 19/11 with 2 blocks on good fg%.

Hope so, I have him on some dynasty teams in FBB. :rockon:

Godzuki
12-27-2013, 03:42 PM
not against other big centers. i believe in Amir johnson a lot more than him. Amir is real underrated. its dumb to me how they don't give him more shots when he's constantly shooting like 80%, and almost money at short range.

Brokenbeat
12-27-2013, 03:53 PM
not against other big centers. i believe in Amir johnson a lot more than him. Amir is real underrated. its dumb to me how they don't give him more shots when he's constantly shooting like 80%, and almost money at short range.

Amazing that Amir AND Ed Davis were stuck behind Bargs, lol. Val/Amir/Davis would've been a nice young core at the 4/5 too.

alenleomessi
12-27-2013, 04:02 PM
this guy..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/TheDevil21/Funny/4622173.gif

robert de niro
12-27-2013, 04:07 PM
this punk won't go far

Sakkreth
12-27-2013, 05:46 PM
this guy..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/TheDevil21/Funny/4622173.gif

Ohh hi there, still butthurt ? :banana:

andremiller07
12-27-2013, 07:55 PM
I have still yet to see anything from him or Kantar which would suggest that they are capable of being elite C's, there's still time but for both but atm I don't really see there potential being sky high tbh.

He looks like a solid C something on the level of Andy Varejeo maybe.

Jameerthefear
12-27-2013, 07:56 PM
right now? no no no

Legends66NBA7
12-27-2013, 08:31 PM
No, I don't.

If the Raptors fans want a tank so bad, they should trade all their starters for long-term assets. Jonas gives the most (along with Amir) because of that potential.

I hate it when he takes 3's, though. Other than that, he's the most valuable player for this current Raptors team.

RedBlackAttack
12-27-2013, 08:51 PM
I have still yet to see anything from him or Kantar which would suggest that they are capable of being elite C's, there's still time but for both but atm I don't really see there potential being sky high tbh.

Varejao's best trait is his relentless motor. I haven't watched a ton of Val this year, but I've never really seen that kind of game from him.

Jonas has all of the potential in the world, but I think most people thought he'd be a better player this season. His minutes are up, but his production has pretty much stayed the same.

I will say that he's having a pretty good December... 30+ minutes per game and putting up a respectable 12+ points on 50+% from the field, 9 rebounds and over a block per.

That's not bad... just not quite what I was expecting coming into this season. If he can build off of what he has done this month, though, he may yet have a big year.

veilside23
12-27-2013, 09:00 PM
even though they are tanking he can still put up a more decent number ... i thought him and kanter will kinda like prove that they are the future of the team. Still alot of basketball years left though hopefully he improved over time

Sakkreth
12-27-2013, 09:02 PM
right now? no no no

I didn't said now...

Phenith
12-27-2013, 09:12 PM
Considering bigs typically take longer to hit their stride, I think it's much to early to be getting down on him and his potential is still a huge asset at his age.

I think his game could become star level, but he still has a lot of work to do and I agree with the comments about his lack of high motor. He has the tools, but I really do question the persistent desire to be great.

Sakkreth
12-27-2013, 10:26 PM
Considering bigs typically take longer to hit their stride, I think it's much to early to be getting down on him and his potential is still a huge asset at his age.

I think his game could become star level, but he still has a lot of work to do and I agree with the comments about his lack of high motor. He has the tools, but I really do question the persistent desire to be great.

One guy mentioned and was completely wrong about it.

moe94
12-27-2013, 10:59 PM

He just shit on the Knicks.

Kungfro
12-27-2013, 11:02 PM
I will say that he's having a pretty good December
Not surprising considering Rudy Gay was traded at the start of the month.

Also 16 points 18 rebounds tonight against the Knicks.

RedBlackAttack
12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
Not surprising considering Rudy Gay was traded at the start of the month.

Also 16 points 18 rebounds tonight against the Knicks.
Good stuff. Maybe he's finally beginning to break out? I hope so... I have love for Toronto and all other small markets.

Semi-related: How bad are the Knicks?

moe94
12-27-2013, 11:08 PM
Good stuff. Maybe he's finally beginning to break out? I hope so... I have love for Toronto and all other small markets.

He's out there.

How is Toronto a small market in any capacity? Canada is the damn market. How is an entire nation a small market?

Sakkreth
12-27-2013, 11:09 PM

Aaaand once again... Toronto is not a small market :D

RedBlackAttack
12-27-2013, 11:21 PM
"Market size" is sort of just a throw away, catch-all description of markets outside of New York, LA, Chicago, Boston and maybe a couple others. While I understand Toronto has a pretty large metro-area and, being the lone standing Canadian team in existence, likely the franchise of choice for most Canadians, I don't think most people look at it as a "big market."

That perception may be technically incorrect, but factors such as a higher tax rate, cold weather, working in a different country, etc., create some of the same issues in drawing big-time players and FAs that the "small markets" in America face.

That was the point, moreso than counting actual viewership on a nightly basis. I generally root for the franchises not historically considered great "draws" for the "NBA lifestyle" or however you want to phrase it.

Qwyjibo
12-27-2013, 11:36 PM
When people call Toronto a "small market" they really just mean "shitty franchise".

That's the reason why no players want to come to Toronto unless grossly overpaid. No player gives a damn about potentially making the 2nd round of the playoffs as a high point.

moe94
12-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Toronto isn't a small market, regardless of your rationalization. Terrible place for American ballers, sure.

gabepizza
12-27-2013, 11:51 PM
"Market size" is sort of just a throw away, catch-all description of markets outside of New York, LA, Chicago, Boston and maybe a couple others. While I understand Toronto has a pretty large metro-area and, being the lone standing Canadian team in existence, likely the franchise of choice for most Canadians, I don't think most people look at it as a "big market."

That perception may be technically incorrect, but factors such as a higher tax rate, cold weather, working in a different country, etc., create some of the same issues in drawing big-time players and FAs that the "small markets" in America face.

That was the point, moreso than counting actual viewership on a nightly basis. I generally root for the franchises not historically considered great "draws" for the "NBA lifestyle" or however you want to phrase it.

Yeah it's funny how we define big/small market. Boston is considered a big market yet it is not even a top 20 US city population wise smaller than Memphis, Indianapolis and San Antonio. Speaking of San Antonio which is considered a small market in reality is the 7th largest city in the country. Toronto if in the US would be the 2nd biggest city.
But Boston includes the market of the whole Massachusetts, etc..

RedBlackAttack
12-27-2013, 11:55 PM
When people call Toronto a "small market" they really just mean "shitty franchise".

That's the reason why no players want to come to Toronto unless grossly overpaid. No player gives a damn about potentially making the 2nd round of the playoffs as a high point.
It's probably partly to do with franchise success and guys like Carter and Bosh bolting, but the taxes and weather don't help either.

Hey, Miami is technically a medium, average market size. It's considered a large market because of the perception that players want to go there... be it because of the weather, the taxes, Riley... whatever.

There are a lot of things that factor the perceptions of these franchises.

RedBlackAttack
12-27-2013, 11:59 PM
Toronto isn't a small market, regardless of your rationalization. Terrible place for American ballers, sure.
If I were a professional basketball player, I'd love to live and play in Toronto. Great city with a passionate fanbase that is just waiting for a savior to come along and pull them into relevancy.

Then again, I don't buy into the very narrow perceptions of the various NBA cities. LA is probably my least favorite city in the entire country. Been there many times over the years, and can't wait to get out at the end of each visit.

Meanwhile, cities like New Orleans, Toronto, Cleveland (obviously)...are completely underrated and are places where I can imagine building a nice life for myself.

Toronto is one of the best cities in the NBA. :confusedshrug:

moe94
12-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Toronto is a world class city and is treated as such. You already went through the reasons why it's not very attractive for ballers. It is what it is.

Borat_Sagdyev
12-28-2013, 07:53 AM
More atlethic Big Z at best, if he stay healthy. One time per carrer in all star game. This is Jonas's ceilling.

Zan Tabak
12-28-2013, 10:17 AM
It's probably partly to do with franchise success and guys like Carter and Bosh bolting, but the taxes and weather don't help either.

Hey, Miami is technically a medium, average market size. It's considered a large market because of the perception that players want to go there... be it because of the weather, the taxes, Riley... whatever.

There are a lot of things that factor the perceptions of these franchises.

Actually, Carter and Bosh 'bolting', was more to do with the direction of the team. Especially in Bosh's case (trying to build around Bargnani :facepalm). T-Mac leaving was the biggest blow ever to the Raptors franchise. Having 4-5 years of him in Vince playing together could of been a dynasty. Just seems the franchise has really never recovered from him leaving.

gabepizza
12-28-2013, 10:23 AM
If I were a professional basketball player, I'd love to live and play in Toronto. Great city with a passionate fanbase that is just waiting for a savior to come along and pull them into relevancy.

Then again, I don't buy into the very narrow perceptions of the various NBA cities. LA is probably my least favorite city in the entire country. Been there many times over the years, and can't wait to get out at the end of each visit.

Meanwhile, cities like New Orleans, Toronto, Cleveland (obviously)...are completely underrated and are places where I can imagine building a nice life for myself.

Toronto is one of the best cities in the NBA. :confusedshrug:

:wtf: