PDA

View Full Version : Dirk vs Bird

moe94
12-30-2013, 09:58 PM
http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/nba/photogallery/dirkbirdfinal.jpg

Why is there a growing opinion that Bird would not be anywhere near as dominant in today's league and that Dirk is simply a better player?

What's your opinion on this?

notatop29pg
12-30-2013, 09:59 PM
This thread is an insult to Bird.

Uncle Drew
12-30-2013, 10:00 PM
What the hell.

sportjames23
12-30-2013, 10:01 PM

Seriously.

Negged, OP. Now log off the internets and go in the corner and think about what you've done.

moe94
12-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Stop tripping. Wait until the Mavs fans have their say and we'll decide how insane it really is.

Element
12-30-2013, 10:02 PM

QFT

And "this opinion" doesn't really exist

Prime for prime Bird is better at literally everything except rebounding, though I'll give meinem neger Dirk credit for his really underrated playmaking out of the high post. Dude has to be one of the best hockey assisters and opportunity creators ever.

DirkNowitzki41
12-30-2013, 10:04 PM
Stop tripping. Wait until the Mavs fans have their say and we'll decide how insane it really is.

This retard is still so mad that KG and Dirk are on the same level :roll: :roll:

Now youre trying to to make dirk look bad.

This nig reachin!

moe94
QFT

Prime for prime Bird is better at literally everything except rebounding, though I'll give meinem neger Dirk credit for his really underrated playmaking out of the high post. Dude has to be one of the best hockey assisters and opportunity creators ever.

Bird was a much better rebounder, relatively speaking. Dirk is a mediocre rebounder for his position, while Bird is among the very best.

DMAVS41
Bird was clearly better. Only thing Dirk will ultimately have on Bird is his longevity and that isn't remotely enough to make up for the difference between them imo.

Bird would be just as dominant today as he was in the past...:facepalm

sportjames23

Mavs fans ain't gonna fall for the bait, dude.

sportjames23
Bird was clearly better. Only thing Dirk will ultimately have on Bird is his longevity and that isn't remotely enough to make up for the difference between them imo.

Bird would be just as dominant today as he was in the past...:facepalm

I rest my case. :cheers:

Round Mound
12-30-2013, 10:06 PM
:rolleyes: :facepalm :no: :confusedshrug:

Element
12-30-2013, 10:06 PM
Bird was a much better rebounder, relatively speaking. Dirk is a mediocre rebounder for his position, while Bird is among the very best.

Dirk in his prime was a consistent 10 rpg guy in the playoffs and relative to position that's pretty good I'd think. Relatively speaking Bird might be better but let's get real everyone's rebounds in the 100+ leauge average pace 80's are inflated

DirkNowitzki41
12-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Dirk in his prime was a consistent 10 rpg guy in the playoffs and relative to position that's pretty good I'd think. Relatively speaking Bird might be better but let's get real everyone's rebounds in the 100+ leauge average pace 80's are inflated

Big ups for recognizing dirks playmaking ability and being a solid rebounder when it matters :cheers: :rockon:

SHAQisGOAT
12-30-2013, 10:08 PM
Growing opinion? Where? Don't think so. I don't think even Dirk's mom would take him lol.

Comparable in terms of shooting and scoring, can also say rebounding is close, everything else Bird takes it with a considerable margin.

Bird's clearly a better overall player, no question about. Not really a knock on Dirk because it's Larry Bird we're talking about here.

QFT

Bird's a better rebounder than Dirk.

Round Mound
12-30-2013, 10:09 PM

:roll:

SHAQisGOAT
12-30-2013, 10:19 PM

Can't only look at the post-season though, like the regular-season doesn't even matter.
Bird averaged 10 rpg for his career in the rs, 14.5 trb%, Dirk not close enough to it.
In the playoffs, they both average 10.3 rpg, Dirk with a higher per36 and also bit higher trb%... Bird considerably better in terms of offensive boards though, which is important here.
With all that said, Bird played SF for many years and had Parish to compete on the boards, also McHale.
Dirk's an underrated rebounder but Bird was better, dude was relentless, tough as nails, physical, great positioning, one of the best weakside rebounders ever.

Btw I've mentioned trb% because that "takes into account" the whole pace factor.
And it's not like it was much higher anyways, 10% or so, Bird averaged basically the same thing "under" today's pace: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-30-2013, 10:26 PM
Huh? I've never seen ANY Mavs/Dirk fan say this.

branslowski
12-30-2013, 10:34 PM
Op must be havin convos with his self because I've never heard neone utter the words "Dirk is better than Bird".

get these NETS
12-30-2013, 10:38 PM
QFT

racist clown

would report post but nothing would happen anyway

branslowski
12-30-2013, 10:39 PM
Actually bringing up pace is quite interesting, because in the 80's damn near 98% of the league was givin up 100+ ppg . Imagine Prime Dirk playing a team who gives up 100ppg every night?:eek:

get these NETS
12-30-2013, 10:53 PM
thread doesn't take into account toughness

can you imagine what would happen if Matt Barnes, Kenyon Martin, or David West tried to punk Bird?

He'd give them 50 points

REAL tough guys like Xavier McDaniels didn't try to punk Bird because they knew he was old school and would fight back or light them up early. Ask Bill Laimbeer whether Bird is soft?

I've seen Dirk get intimidated by fake tough guys......(k-mart is not a fake tough guy btw)..i'm just saying

fpliii
12-30-2013, 11:11 PM
OT - Young Bird's an incredibly underrated defender.

CavaliersFTW
12-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Total rebound percentage:

Larry Bird
14.5% career 16% peak regular season
13.9% career 17.6% peak playoffs

Dirk Nowitzki
12.9% career 14.8% peak regular season
14.3% career 16.5% peak playoffs

Dirk is not a better rebounder than Larry Bird, regardless of 'pace' :no:

Larry Bird was better or at least as good at virtually everything compared to Dirk. Dirk is a great player too, that's not to sell him short. Larry Bird was just better.

inclinerator
12-30-2013, 11:14 PM
bird is the greatest offensive player of all time lol

Legends66NBA7
12-30-2013, 11:36 PM
I don't think anyone suggests that Dirk is better. This is the only big debate I've seen on ISH, though, between the 2:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229046

^Perhaps OP is referring to something similar to that ?

Poetry
12-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Relatively speaking Bird might be better but let's get real everyone's rebounds in the 100+ leauge average pace 80's are inflated

Pace is at 94.2, as of today.

In Bird's last year it was at 96.6. He averaged 9.6 boards that season. And that was an old, broken Bird.

When pace was at 103.1 in 1982-83, Bird averaged 11 rebounds.

Despite the nearly 7 point drop off in pace, Bird's rebounding numbers only dropped by 1.4. It wasn't a monumental drop off.

If Prime Bird played at today's pace of 94.2, his stats would be practically identical.

Don't buy into that pace nonsense. A superstar will get the same numbers and touches regardless of pace.

Pointguard
12-31-2013, 01:13 AM
When Bird got hot, he's among the best ever. His three's only touch the net, his players are lead by his passes for easy scores, his head games are at top level, he even gets clutch steals, his game intelligence shines bright and his toughness (as Get the Nets said) is above all. One of the few guys that gave you the feeling that he was devouring the other team.

kNicKz
12-31-2013, 01:39 AM
Will neg OP in 24 hours

HeatFanSince88
12-31-2013, 01:46 AM
racist clown

Says the guy who never makes any post at all unless it's about racism, slurs, black historical figures, or any of that shit.

Probably always blaming racism for your shortcomings. You are pathetic and the reason for prejudices.

DMAVS41
12-31-2013, 01:52 AM
I don't think anyone suggests that Dirk is better. This is the only big debate I've seen on ISH, though, between the 2:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229046

^Perhaps OP is referring to something similar to that ?

Still can't believe people were saying Dirk doesn't ever win a title on those Celtics teams...

Oh, and we now figured out what the rumors were about Dirk in addition to the supposed injury;

His dad was very sick and having major surgery during the Warriors series...LOL...and people thought I was just making shit up

westside_baller
12-31-2013, 02:16 AM
Oscar Robertson vs. Pat Beverley.

Bill Russell vs. Tom Tolbert.

Michael Jordan vs. J.R. Smith.

Who ya got? :facepalm

bigt
12-31-2013, 02:40 AM
Wow so this thread backfired...and rightly so. Dirk's my favourite current player, but there's no way he can be compared to Larry Bird, no way

get these NETS
12-31-2013, 03:06 AM
Says the guy who never makes any post at all unless it's about racism, slurs, black historical figures, or any of that shit.

Probably always blaming racism for your shortcomings. You are pathetic and the reason for prejudices.

did I rough you up a sports discussion and you're not letting go of the hurt?

Stick to things you can speak with authority about like finger painting and jello, young'un. Leave the complex social and sports issues to adults.

or better yet......go back to watching basketball highlights while you sit in a room with no pants on touching yourself drinking sprite with a straw

Element
12-31-2013, 02:20 PM
racist clown

would report post but nothing would happen anyway

I'm black and half german but ok :lol

Als ob mich das juckt was du denkst spast

get these NETS
12-31-2013, 03:02 PM
I'm black and half german but ok :lol

Als ob mich das juckt was du denkst spast

I think slurs should be banned from ish regardless of who writes them.

Been to Hamburg twice....I can halfway follow conversation in german but can't speak or read it/ Everybody in Hamburg speaks English anyway so it's no big deal.

Is your Black parent an American military person or an African who went to Germany for University? or something else

If your folks are not from USA, might benefit you to pick up and absorb some of the rich and powerful aspects of African American culture.....not the garbage ...

Element
12-31-2013, 03:12 PM
I think slurs should be banned from ish regardless of who writes them.

Been to Hamburg twice....I can halfway follow conversation in german but can't speak or read it/ Everybody in Hamburg speaks English anyway so it's no big deal.

Is your Black parent an American military person or an African who went to Germany for University? or something else

If your folks are not from USA, might benefit you to pick up and absorb some of the rich and powerful aspects of African American culture.....not the garbage ...

My mom is african american and my dad is german. Born in LA but I spent 6 years in D

moe94
12-31-2013, 03:19 PM
Oscar Robertson vs. Pat Beverley.

Bill Russell vs. Tom Tolbert.

Michael Jordan vs. J.R. Smith.

Who ya got? :facepalm

Right, because comparing Bird to Dirk is on that level of disparity. :rolleyes:

Harison
12-31-2013, 03:25 PM
Actually Bird would be better today than in his era, and more dominant too. Plus with advanced medicine his prime might not be cut short.

get these NETS
12-31-2013, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Element]My mom is african american and my dad is german. Born in LA but I spent 6 years in D

HeatFanSince88
12-31-2013, 03:49 PM

LMAO then whats left? please enlighten us

I can already tell what income bracket your in if even employed at all.

get these NETS
12-31-2013, 04:09 PM
LMAO then whats left? please enlighten us

I can already tell what income bracket your in if even employed at all.

http://web-images.chacha.com/images/greatest-coach-meltdowns1944616738-may-18-2012-600x316.jpg

"They are who were THOUGHT they were!"

HeatFanSince88
12-31-2013, 04:18 PM
http://web-images.chacha.com/images/greatest-coach-meltdowns1944616738-may-18-2012-600x316.jpg

"They are who were THOUGHT they were!"

lol @ pointing out grammar when your "thoughts" consist of giant run-on sentences and not a single word capitalized.

Thats when you know the guy has nothing to say. Enjoy your cancerous african american culture. LMAO! :roll:

moe94
12-31-2013, 04:21 PM
lol @ pointing out grammar when your "thoughts" consist of giant run-on sentences and not a single word capitalized.

Thats when you know the guy has nothing to say. Enjoy your cancerous african american culture. LMAO! :roll:

Someone who's clowning the intelligence of someone else should at least understand the difference between "your" and "you're". You can't even play it off as a typo, can you? :roll:

KyrieTheFuture
12-31-2013, 04:28 PM

You should really step away from the computer and off of a bridge.

fandarko
01-01-2014, 08:07 AM
QFT

From a lifelong Bird fan, let's be honest: Bird was not better at shooting. I mean, he was phenomenal, but let's not act as if Dirk, whose stroke is his main weapon and he's one of the best PFs in history, is not in the same league.

They're both incredible shooters, stop.

Bird is the better player, obviously.

AboutBuckets
01-01-2014, 07:00 PM
Bird played the game with his mind, and that type of play will always succeed regardless of era