PDA

View Full Version : What team offers Bledsoe the MAX?

Xover
01-01-2014, 03:27 AM
McD has put on record that he is committed to keeping Bledsoe at "whatever it takes".

The Phoenix Suns aren't going to let Eric Bledsoe get away, according to general manager Ryan McDonough. Bledsoe will become a restricted free agent this upcoming offseason and McDonough intends to give the guard whatever is necessary to keep him in Phoenix, via ESPN's Ramona Shelburne:

"Sometimes that works out and both parties think it's a good deal for them. Other times it doesn't," McDonough said. "Obviously we don't have a whole lot of money committed for the future, we don't have a lot of long-term contracts on our books. So we'll have no problem stepping up and paying Eric whatever it takes to keep him."

Whatever it takes?

"Correct," McDonough said. "Any reasonable offer."
The Suns could have given Bledsoe an extension before the start of the season, but failed to come to an agreement. At the time, he had not proven himself as a starter. Now, with averages of 18.4 points, 5.9 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 1.5 steals per game alongside 49.2 percent shooting from the field and 35.2 percent shooting behind the three-point line, Bledsoe has established himself as an impact player on a winning team. The 24-year-old will be in line for a sizable raise in the summer.

There was risk involved in entering the season without a long-term deal, but Bledsoe was more than prepared to show the league what he was worth, via Shelburne:

"I was telling [my agent] over the summer, if the contract doesn't happen I'm ready to play a full season," Bledsoe said. "I was confident because I'd worked hard all summer, and I knew that I was going to play a lot more than I did the last three years, so I was ready."
Phoenix could have likely saved millions by locking Bledsoe up as soon as he arrived, but as long as the team retains him McDonough should be happy with the deal that brought him there. The Suns swapped forward Jared Dudley and a second-round pick for Bledsoe and his near-all-star level production back in July.

"any reasonable offer" is the main quote here.

Bledsoe has been terrific for us this season, no doubt about that, but at this point in his career he's not worthy of a max contract (not to say that he won't someday be). What teams are desperate enough to throw him a max at this stage?

Eric Cartman
01-01-2014, 03:32 AM
Bullet to my brain i'd say the Charlotte Bobcats.

Hawks might throw good money at him too.

Qwyjibo
01-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Who is going to have money and needs a PG? Lakers? Bucks?

The Suns will match any offer sheet anyways so it doesn't really matter. Even if it's a silly max deal, they won't let an asset go for nothing.

Xover
01-01-2014, 03:43 AM
Who is going to have money and needs a PG? Lakers? Bucks?

The Suns will match any offer sheet anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Bucks, Magic, Philly (don't really need a PG), Lakers.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Lakers r ready to throw the max & pair him with wiggins/parker & kobe

NumberSix
01-01-2014, 04:24 AM
Bledsoe is not a max player.

Pushxx
01-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Bledsoe shouldn't be paid more than $8 million, but he's gonna get $11 million+.

He is crazy to watch, though.

livingby3's
01-01-2014, 04:36 AM
If he was 3-4 inch taller I'd give him the max

alec613
01-01-2014, 04:52 AM
Lakers offer a contract that's usually hard match (but will match anyway) just to spite the Suns for giving them damaged goods and losing 4 draft picks

Human Error
01-01-2014, 06:37 AM
Hope the Heat can sign him.

GOATbrook
01-01-2014, 06:56 AM
If he was 3-4 inch taller I'd give him the max
He would be Lebron if he was 4 inches taller.:cheers:

I<3NBA
01-01-2014, 08:36 AM
contract player. any team signing him to a max will regret it.

wally_world
01-01-2014, 10:43 AM
I love Bledsoe, i think he will be great for Phoenix. But i really hope we dont pay him the max. He will most likely be overpaid, but hopefully the demand for a PG in the FA market this year wouldnt be too high. Im comfortable with $10-11million/season

hawkfan
01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
Bledsoe won't come to the Hawks. We already have Teague and Schroeder at point guard, and Korver, Williams and Jenkins at shooting guard.

Maybe the Bucks will make a big offer for him.

scm5
01-01-2014, 10:48 AM
18/4/6 on 59% TS

While those are solid stats, it kind of gives you a little insight of the state of the league when a player putting up those stats would be considered for a max contract.

Not to mention Ricky Rubio.... Bledsoe is definitely more deserving of a large contract than Rubio. If I'm the Twolves, I offer the max to Bledsoe first, over Rubio.

kurple
01-01-2014, 11:12 AM
i'd give him close to the max

great player offensively and defensively

Walker
01-01-2014, 12:06 PM
It's a strange one.
He's good enough that at least one team will (and probably should) throw the max at him.
He's not quite good enough that you want it to be your team doing it.

el gringos
01-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Without moving dragic and clearing the pg position for him they'll have to overpay him. 15 a year to be a sg- agents and execs all agree a pg has more value that a sg as a small guard

They should just deal Bledsoe or dragic and let the one who stays know they have a position

Qwyjibo
01-01-2014, 12:46 PM
It's a strange one.
He's good enough that at least one team will (and probably should) throw the max at him.
He's not quite good enough that you want it to be your team doing it.
But then you also don't want to lose an asset like him for nothing. That's the tough decision for the Suns.

But if he continues how he's been playing this year, a max deal on his 2nd contract isn't outrageous. Not ideal but he is playing close to "max" level.

Le Shaqtus
01-01-2014, 12:56 PM
Bledsoe is not a max player.

This, but he's gonna get paid like one unfortunately

HomieWeMajor
01-01-2014, 01:12 PM
A small market team should sign him to the max and then market him as the Baby Lebron. They will make millions.

hawkfan
01-01-2014, 01:42 PM
Some team will offer a Nic Batum type contract, I think that was 4 years, 46 million.

That's not that bad a deal for the Suns. They will have some contracts come off the books (Childress and Beasley's contracts come off after next season), they have some players on their rookie contracts for a few years, they have to hit the minimum salary threshold.

So giving Bledsoe a near-max deal isn't too bad. The Suns will have have a lot of cap space going forward in two years, and with Bledsoe-Dragic and their other young core, they should able to attract a top free agent.

IncarceratedBob
01-01-2014, 04:50 PM
Giving Shannon Brown Jr. the max is stupid

GOBB
01-01-2014, 04:54 PM
Bucks, Magic, Philly (don't really need a PG), Lakers.

We have a PG. We need a SG who can play off the ball and shoot.

All Net
01-01-2014, 05:19 PM
An idiot?

Qwyjibo
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM
Giving Shannon Brown Jr. the max is stupid
Shannon Brown couldn't even dream of the type of production that Bledsoe has put up this year.

wakencdukest
01-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Without moving dragic and clearing the pg position for him they'll have to overpay him. 15 a year to be a sg- agents and execs all agree a pg has more value that a sg as a small guard

They should just deal Bledsoe or dragic and let the one who stays know they have a position

Why? They are playing great together. There's not many teams that have 2 guys who can bring the ball up and initiate the offense or play off the ball, and also play solid defense at both positions. As long as they're both starting, I think they are ok being interchangeable, they seem to have good chemistry.

BallsOut
01-01-2014, 08:34 PM
We have a PG. We need a SG who can play off the ball and shoot.

Jodie Meeks

It's A VC3!!!
01-02-2014, 12:47 AM
I think he gets a $55 million over five years type of deal. Certainly not $100 million over five. Still, he has great athleticism and talent and at 24, he's going going to get better from here on.

Qwyjibo
01-02-2014, 12:58 AM
Add the Raptors as a potential team too. They'll have money available and a hole at PG since Lowry will hit the free agent market too.

Pra
01-02-2014, 01:01 AM
Considering the Suns threw a max offer sheet at Eric Gordon.... it's safe to say that they will definitely give Bledsoe a max deal if it comes down to it.

4 yr 40M would be realistic though... Dragic makes almost 8M a year so it's not going to be any less than that annually that's for sure.

magnax1
01-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Lakers r ready to throw the max & pair him with wiggins/parker & kobe
I could see this. Would throw them back into the playoffs. Doubt they're getting a top 2 pick though.

el gringos
01-02-2014, 01:39 AM
Team that needs a pg most- ny Knicks

ralph_i_el
01-02-2014, 01:47 AM
He's exciting and he's put up good numbers but when I've watched him play this season he is pretty unimpressive in the halfcourt

Xover
01-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Considering the Suns threw a max offer sheet at Eric Gordon.... it's safe to say that they will definitely give Bledsoe a max deal if it comes down to it.

4 yr 40M would be realistic though... Dragic makes almost 8M a year so it's not going to be any less than that annually that's for sure.

that was under an old regime

Godzuki
01-02-2014, 10:30 AM
i'll never understand why Donald Sterling got so much criticism by NBA writers and fans for wanting to keep Bledsoe, and not allowing Doc to get rid of him for Reddick. if anything he was right, and a lot of Clippers fans knew Bledsoe was a rare talent.

Sterling got killed by writers especially for trying to block Doc. Doc Rivers is a idiot for even wanting that trade. it just seems wrong how Sterling got so much crap while Doc Rivers got so little for the trade, even now.

East_Stone_Ya
01-02-2014, 10:43 AM
He's exciting and he's put up good numbers but when I've watched him play this season he is pretty unimpressive in the halfcourt

true

mrRager
01-02-2014, 10:57 AM
I hope he signs for a reasonable amount and stays in phx

imdaman99
01-02-2014, 11:07 AM
id love him on the knicks, but that aint happening.

dont be greedy suns, you already have dragic (who im willing to admit is better than shump now :facepalm ) :oldlol:

2LeTTeRS
01-02-2014, 11:13 AM
i'll never understand why Donald Sterling got so much criticism by NBA writers and fans for wanting to keep Bledsoe, and not allowing Doc to get rid of him for Reddick. if anything he was right, and a lot of Clippers fans knew Bledsoe was a rare talent.

Sterling got killed by writers especially for trying to block Doc. Doc Rivers is a idiot for even wanting that trade. it just seems wrong how Sterling got so much crap while Doc Rivers got so little for the trade, even now.

I agree. The way the media overrated Reddick and Dudley when the news broke was almost criminal; but they were willing to do anything to further the perception that Sterling is an incompetent meddler so they took the low-hanging fruit and bashed him; even though the talent leaving LA was greater than what was received.

I couldn't be happier now that all those journalists that took the easy way out were proven wrong.

mrRager
01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
I agree. The way the media overrated Reddick and Dudley when the news broke was almost criminal; but they were willing to do anything to further the perception that Sterling is an incompetent meddler so they took the low-hanging fruit and bashed him; even though the talent leaving LA was greater than what was received.

I couldn't be happier now that all those journalists that took the easy way out were proven wrong.
it looks like highwhey robbery now. Dudley plus 2nd round pick (?) For bledsoe lol

raprap
01-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Orlando Magic would be cool

Bledsoe and Oladipo. Legit perimeter D. Steal brothers :pimp:

retaxis
01-02-2014, 11:53 AM
This guy is like a mini lebron james (same built and athleticism). Maybe could do with better basketball IQ and better shooting but hell he is the real deal. Lakers should pay him whatever they can as we all know how important PG are in todays league. The offense and defense starts at the point and Bledsoe is a great defensive player.

imdaman99
01-02-2014, 11:58 AM
This guy is like a mini lebron james (same built and athleticism). Maybe could do with better basketball IQ and better shooting but hell he is the real deal. Lakers should pay him whatever they can as we all know how important PG are in todays league. The offense and defense starts at the point and Bledsoe is a great defensive player.
I always thought of him as Westbrook-lite. Lebron's way too efficient.

el gringos
01-02-2014, 11:26 PM
id love him on the knicks, but that aint happening.

dont be greedy suns, you already have dragic (who im willing to admit is better than shump now :facepalm ) :oldlol:

Shumpert, hard away, and Felton and a pick should be enough for either one in a trade.