PDA

View Full Version : Is Curry the greatest shooter ever already?

Haks
01-03-2014, 04:59 PM
Would you say he is already a better shooter than the likes of ray,dirk,bird,nash,west ?
Discuss

Real Men Wear Green
01-03-2014, 05:00 PM
No. And, no.

Mr. Jabbar
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
this thread reminded me ray allen is perhaps the best shooter of all times...the cheat :facepalm

inclinerator
01-03-2014, 05:01 PM
so far his shooting is worse than last season, maybe he picks it up again after the allstar break

It's A VC3!!!
01-03-2014, 05:04 PM
he's not but it is amazing that one millisecond he is dribbling and the next he has already got into the shooting motion and flicked a shot up already. you think it would never go in but it does.

mrRager
01-03-2014, 05:05 PM
no

kNicKz
01-03-2014, 05:09 PM
:roll:

bdreason
01-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I've never seen a better 3-point shooter off the dribble.

tmacattack33
01-03-2014, 05:11 PM
I think so, at least from when i started watching in 1995.

He can make shots with less seperation than Dirk or Ray Allen can in my opinion and has a faster release. There is no number for this, it is just my opinion from watching them play.

FireDavidKahn
01-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Yes. Doesn't matter that he has been in the league for only a few years, he is.

kNicKz
01-03-2014, 05:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5-J2Spj7kg

Suckafree
01-03-2014, 05:15 PM
He can make shots with less seperation than Dirk

This is incorrect

Heavincent
01-03-2014, 05:16 PM
People are gonna laugh just because he's a current player and hasn't been in the league for that long, but the reality is that he's just as good, or at least close to being as good a shooter as anyone that's ever played the game. Anybody who says he isn't needs to wipe the shit from their eyes. I'm not necessarily saying he's the absolute best, but he's definitely up there.

Nash
01-03-2014, 05:21 PM
ray ray

Thorpesaurous
01-03-2014, 05:22 PM
He's obviously a great great shooter, but I'm not sure why shooting around the rim doesn't count as shooting.

I wouldn't even say he's the best shooter in the league right now. Durant has what? two 40/50/90 shooting seasons already. Those numbers are like a gold standard. Dirk's done it once. Bird did it twice. There's only a couple other guys ever to swing those percentages.
And Kirk Goldsberry's expected point total vs. production stuff that he came up with was a really interesting way to look at shooting overall, and it gave a really nice way to explain just how great Lebron is in terms of shooting percentage efficiency.

Harison
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
He is good, but he is not that good. Curry's fans would have a hard time proving he is the best current shooter, and in All-time ranking difficulty notches up another level.

scm5
01-03-2014, 05:35 PM
He's obviously a great great shooter, but I'm not sure why shooting around the rim doesn't count as shooting.

I wouldn't even say he's the best shooter in the league right now. Durant has what? two 40/50/90 shooting seasons already. Those numbers are like a gold standard. Dirk's done it once. Bird did it twice. There's only a couple other guys ever to swing those percentages.
And Kirk Goldsberry's expected point total vs. production stuff that he came up with was a really interesting way to look at shooting overall, and it gave a really nice way to explain just how great Lebron is in terms of shooting percentage efficiency.

This is where raw FG% fails.

Curry puts up 18.1 FGA/gm and a whopping 8.1 of them are from 3.

KD puts up just over half the attempts on 3 that Curry does, and a lot of his looks come from being assisted. Curry puts them up every which way he can.

pegasus
01-03-2014, 05:40 PM
He is the best off the dribble shooter I've ever seen. Ray is the best spot-up shooter. Btw, does Curry have an impressive 3-point streak of his own? I'd imagine he'd break Korver's still-improving record one day.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-03-2014, 06:00 PM
He's definitely the best pull up shooter I have ever seen. He doesn't even take good shots. When he's feeling it (which apparently happens frequently - much more than nearly every NBA player), he takes horrible shots. They go in...

kNicKz
01-03-2014, 06:03 PM
He's definitely the best pull up shooter I have ever seen.

You ever watch Jerry West play?

Locked_Up_Tonight
01-03-2014, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't even say he's the best shooter in the league right now. Durant has what? two 40/50/90 shooting seasons already. Those numbers are like a gold standard. Dirk's done it once. Bird did it twice.

Durant has done it once. Dirk has done it once. Although both have been knocking on the door and missing out on one of the categories for a couple other years. Bird has done it twice.

Nash has done it 4 times.

ABfor3
01-03-2014, 06:06 PM
He's not even a better shooter than his Pops, let alone best ever.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-03-2014, 06:07 PM
You ever watch Jerry West play?

Of course not. Maybe 10 minutes worth of highlights. I'm not 150 years old.

If high school mix tapes teach you anything, you can't judge a player off of highlights. They never show the mistakes.

MetsPackers
01-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Miller should be included in the OP group as well imo. If he keeps up what he's been doing I think he'll enter that tier, but it's going to take much more convincing to put him over any of those guys

Legends66NBA7
01-03-2014, 06:14 PM
I honestly don't understand some of the responses laughing at this notion.

It's a good debate and there's a probably a lot of truth to this.

Dr. Ice
01-03-2014, 06:16 PM
He's not even the best shooter right now. Have you see Korver's 3 point percentage and adjusted fg % in general? Higher than lebron's for christ sake.

And if we're talking just off the dribble then curry has shown me nothing that says he's even better than an afflalo or a durant, who are both having better shooting years this year i should add.

fandarko
01-03-2014, 07:20 PM
He's not even a better shooter than his Pops, let alone best ever.

He's way better than his father.

fandarko
01-03-2014, 07:21 PM
He's definitely the best pull up shooter I have ever seen. He doesn't even take good shots. When he's feeling it (which apparently happens frequently - much more than nearly every NBA player), he takes horrible shots. They go in...

This.

Budadiiii
01-03-2014, 07:23 PM
This is where raw FG% fails.

Curry puts up 18.1 FGA/gm and a whopping 8.1 of them are from 3.

KD puts up just over half the attempts on 3 that Curry does, and a lot of his looks come from being assisted. Curry puts them up every which way he can.
They do?

Shade8780
01-03-2014, 07:30 PM
Of course not. Maybe 10 minutes worth of highlights. I'm not 150 years old.
:lol

Droid101
01-03-2014, 07:41 PM
If he keeps this up for a few more years, easily.

notatop29pg
01-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Glen Rice, Reggie, Ray Ray, Peja...

SHAQisGOAT
01-03-2014, 07:51 PM
I find it funny that lots of people can't differentiate (overall) shooting from 3pt shooting. (not saying Curry isn't a great overall shooter)

And no, I wouldn't call him the greatest shooter ever, up there definitely though.

Smoke117
01-03-2014, 08:03 PM
He is the best off the dribble shooter I've ever seen. Ray is the best spot-up shooter. Btw, does Curry have an impressive 3-point streak of his own? I'd imagine he'd break Korver's still-improving record one day.

1. That's not true.

2. Ray Allen isn't even a spot up shooter. Throughout his career he's been more comfortable shooting off the dribble and off the move in general.

dannywpt
01-03-2014, 08:13 PM
It's so funny how nostalgia works for some people.

"Not even close"

"Not even better than his father"

Check the percentages. He is one of the best shooters of all time. Probably the best 3-pt shooter off the dribble (as no one has ever done it at his rate before!) of all time.

inclinerator
01-03-2014, 08:51 PM
I find it funny that lots of people can't differentiate (overall) shooting from 3pt shooting. (not saying Curry isn't a great overall shooter)

And no, I wouldn't call him the greatest shooter ever, up there definitely though.
his midrange shot might be even better than his 3

Mass Debator
01-03-2014, 09:42 PM
I think he is. He has one if the most exciting highlight reels too.

Killbot
01-03-2014, 10:15 PM
Not yet, but he's up there with the elite. Lets calm down for a second and wait until we see some consistency.

pauk
01-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Would you say he is already a better shooter than the likes of ray,dirk,bird,nash,west ?
Discuss

As good of a shooter as them maybe...

But not as good as Reggie Miller, Drazen Petrovic, Glen Rice & Chris Mullin.

Haks
01-03-2014, 10:21 PM
As good of a shooter as them maybe...

But not as good as Reggie Miller, Drazen Petrovic, Glen Rice & Chris Mullin.
LOL any of them career 45% 3pt shooters and also dont take most of their shots off the dribble
no

redboy
01-03-2014, 10:23 PM
LOL any of them career 45% 3pt shooters and also dont take most of their shots off the dribble
no
to be fair though during their respective careers, the 3 ball didn't have nearly as much emphasis

Haks
01-03-2014, 10:25 PM
to be fair though during their respective careers, the 3 ball didn't have nearly as much emphasis
True but also shows you how great of a shooter curry is because defences are gauged more now to stop him from attempting threes yet he still manages to shoot at such a clip

Dr. Ice
01-03-2014, 10:27 PM
I still have yet to hear an argument to how he's a better spot up shooter than a korver or a hawes, or better off the dribble shooter than afflalo(literally the magics's ONLY option i should add) or durant, hell even lillard can make an argument that he's better than curry this year.

people need to stop letting the media form opinions for them.

Replay32
01-03-2014, 10:28 PM
If he stays healthy, he may go down as the greatest 3pt shooter of all time. His 3pt % and his ability to make that shot off the dribble is truly amazing.

However I wouldn't call him the greatest shooter ever already.

pauk
01-03-2014, 10:45 PM
no

Drazen, Mullin, Reggie, Rice didnt take shots off the dribble? Haaaa!!! Funny..... very funny.... you think averaging up to like 28 ppg @ 50-47-90 came of wideopen shots or something? They would drain shots in the most awkward ways imaginable, same goes with Larry Bird, especially Larry Bird.... also in a much more physical era with hand-checking and MUCH better perimeter defense than today.... Curry in their era would shoot/score nowhere as good as he shoots/scores today... especially not when he would have guys like Gary Payton, Dennis Johnson, Joe Dumars pushing him around like a ragdoll, swatting his shots and picking his pockets, he would either pass or hoist the ball up to the rafters to get the ball off ...

...and if you want to go after 3pt% then go after Steve Kerr i guess, go ahead and act like he was the greatest shooter of all time.....

inclinerator
01-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I still have yet to hear an argument to how he's a better spot up shooter than a korver or a hawes, or better off the dribble shooter than afflalo(literally the magics's ONLY option i should add) or durant, hell even lillard can make an argument that he's better than curry this year.

people need to stop letting the media form opinions for them.
? ppl create for korver, we saw how well curry easily hit those 3s last night when assisted on

fandarko
01-04-2014, 06:40 AM
no

I have been a lifelong Drazen Petrovic fan, idolozing him as a kid here in the former Yugoslavia.

Oddly enough, Drazen wasn't considered the purest shooter and was viewed by some as too mechanical. In terms of pure feel and touch, there were better players than him.

But he was a great shooter nonetheless and an even better shotmaker.

Pure shooting skill wise, Curry is better than Drazen and Rice and probably on the same level as Mullin and Peja, in terms of smoothness, if not better. but these are nuances. He benefits from the fact that we are watching his shooting mastery NOW, while these guys played in the past.

Top 10 all time, that's for sure. By far the best in the league overall.

fandarko
01-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Drazen, Mullin, Reggie, Rice didnt take shots off the dribble? Haaaa!!! Funny..... very funny.... you think averaging up to like 28 ppg @ 50-47-90 came of wideopen shots or something? They would drain shots in the most awkward ways imaginable, same goes with Larry Bird, especially Larry Bird.... also in a much more physical era with hand-checking and MUCH better perimeter defense than today.... Curry in their era would shoot/score nowhere as good as he shoots/scores today... especially not when he would have guys like Gary Payton, Dennis Johnson, Joe Dumars pushing him around like a ragdoll, swatting his shots and picking his pockets, he would either pass or hoist the ball up to the rafters to get the ball off ...

...and if you want to go after 3pt% then go after Steve Kerr i guess, go ahead and act like he was the greatest shooter of all time.....

I get your point, but Curry would have likely adapted, like these guys would have adapted to today's setting... But that's speculation. Can't really compare Kerr or Paxson, great shooters but not as capable as Curry (lack of other skill), not in the same league really.

In the former Yugoslavia, where Drazen played, there were some incredible shooters skills wise, better than Drazen (Sixers' scout Danko Cvijeticanin, for one), but far less capable physically and skills wise, so their shooting touch couldn't translate as well on the highest level.

If we disregard his defense, which is irrelevant for this debate, Curry is a world class ball handler, shooter and excellent passer (as evidenced by his stats), I didn't see how the Heat defense bothered him the other night so I'm not sure he would have had much more trouble with Dumars and the like in the past, not more than other shooters.

sundizz
01-04-2014, 08:17 AM
Well greatest shooter ever comes down to a combo of these things:

Tier 1 importance
1. # of shots per season from 15+ feet
2. % made of those shots
3. Clutchness, in terms of volume and ability to make shots at ends of games/4th quarters.
4. Longevity of career/tres made over a career

Tier 2 importance
1. Ability to shoot off the dribble (unassisted)
2. Ability to use screens to get open for a shot
3. Ability to knock down a shot from a kickout/offensive rebound type scenario

Tier 3 importance
1. Aesthetic beauty of the shot

Using this criteria I have, in order, Ray Allen, Stephen Curry, Peja Stojakavic, Steve Nash. It's a little hard because there isn't that much solid data on 15+, only for 3 pointers. Safe to say Ray Allen and Steph Curry have the #1/#2 spots basically locked up (unless someone else shows up). Best shooter is much tougher. The data isn't there to easily support this.

I'd venture a guess that Nash, Bird, and Durant are the best 15+ feet players ever though when considering both quantity (# of shots) and quality (fg%)

plowking
01-04-2014, 08:25 AM

Curry would be averaging 50%+ from 3 point land with the way they guarded the 3 point line back in the 80's and 90's. Shit, Durant might too considering his size and the type of defense on the 3 back then.

Anyway, Curry is the greatest shooter ever already. The fact that this question is being asked, 4 seasons into his career is enough evidence. This guy throws up shots with people in his face, is money when open, great off the ball, and screens, etc.

Hes a better shooter, flat out. Hes already one of the greatest free throw shooters ever, and you combine that with the fact he shoots 8 three pointers a game, while shooting above 40%, who can you seriously say is a better shooter than him? Look at the stats... they're more than enough evidence. Then couple that with the type of shots he takes... absolutely ridiculous.

strifed169
01-04-2014, 08:44 AM
watch his offense highlights, his dribble moves and footwork are smooth, sick handles and awareness along with a lightning quick jumper, probably the most entertaining player in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH5OhpF9TNI

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2014, 10:11 AM
Curry would be averaging 50%+ from 3 point land with the way they guarded the 3 point line back in the 80's and 90's. Shit, Durant might too considering his size and the type of defense on the 3 back then.

Right.. :facepalm

Locked_Up_Tonight
01-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I'd venture a guess that Nash, Bird, and Durant are the best 15+ feet players ever though when considering both quantity (# of shots) and quality (fg%)

Dirk trumps those you just listed. Dirk shatters the mid range. No one in the league shoots as many mid range jumpers as Dirk with his accuracy. And that has been that way for the last 10 years.

(For example: Dirk shoots 1 time a game inside of 9 feet. You heard that correctly. He averages 1 shot attempt a game that is something not 10 feet and out. And this year he is on the cusp again of the 50/40/90 club.)

veilside23
01-04-2014, 10:31 AM
I bet if curry is playing for a different team this wouldnt have been a discussion....

dude takes 3's like he didnt even want to shoot it.. I know it may look awkward at times and but it goes in... Dude is not 7 feet tall but takes em over guys taller than him and still goes in .

Curry is the best of the dribble when shooting 3's . Peak ray allen might be better midrange ... but is this curry's peak already?

veilside23
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Dirk trumps those you just listed. Dirk shatters the mid range. No one in the league shoots as many mid range jumpers as Dirk with his accuracy. And that has been that way for the last 10 years.

dirk is indeed a great shooter too but the fact is dirk also shoots over guys smaller than him most of the time curry shoots it over guys way taller than him makes it a bit harder i suppose.

as i stated midrange there might be better shooters but 3 ball off the dribble give me curry.

chocolatethunder
01-04-2014, 10:35 AM
Nash absolutely has to be way up there in the discussion. Incredible pull-up shooter from anywhere including three and he has the percentages to back that up. Mark Price was a fantastic pull-up shooter as well. Eddie Johnson was one of the best catch and shoot guys from mid range I've ever seen. Not as good a shooter as other guys on that list but he was money catching and shooting for sure.

Element
01-04-2014, 10:37 AM
From deep yes and I mean easily, this is not a debate anymore people.

He makes the most ridiculous shots ever and spams them at a, for anyone else, completely unsustainable volume while retaining GOAT level accuracy.