PDA

View Full Version : What would Pistol Pete average in today's NBA?

Nick Young
01-03-2014, 11:57 PM
What would Pistol Pete average in todays NBA? Do you think he'd be a championship caliber first option? In this version of alternate reality, Pistol Pete has access to modern NBA training facilities and nutritionists.

LoveIsMyMessage
01-03-2014, 11:59 PM
No, he would be a prime Jason Williams at best. Maybe better defense.

Haks
01-04-2014, 12:00 AM
18ppg modern day klay thompson

Nick Young
01-04-2014, 12:17 AM
what do you think stops him from being a 25 ppg player?

Lebron23
01-04-2014, 12:23 AM
Wow. He only played 26 games in the playoffs. He was a very entertaining player, but he was a ball hog, and a black hole. Pete was the anti Larry Bird.

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2014, 12:39 AM
Player that reminds me of him the most nowadays is Steph Curry, Pete was taller though and more of a SG. Putting it better, like a mix (some parts) of Curry, Nash, Kobe, J-Will, Ginobili and Joe Johnson.

Pete's just one of the greatest shooters ever, lots of range, could pull up in a dime, quick release, could shoot just about everyway in people's faces, really good finisher at the rim, had perfect control of the ball, great passer, terrific fundamentals, every trick in the book, really creative with it BUT his mentality was wrong for the most part and when he started to change that he got injured and was never the same again. He put the show in front of the right play, crazy shot-selection, always with flashy ways on every single play, didn't understand defense..

At his best he would be putting up around 28/4/6 on something like 45/40/84, more assists and less points playing with better scoring teammates.

Dude had all the talent in the world but assuming he'd came up the same way (father coaching him and so on), even with that, it would still be hard to build a championship team around him, he would need a coach to change his ways progressively and the right/perfect role players around. Got to be said that he was drafted into a team that didn't fit his style and at his best his teammates weren't good.

bizil
01-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Pete in the L today would be at worst the 3rd best SG in the L. Or if u wanted to slide him at PG at the same realm. For me, I would have Pete run SG and flat out light up shit while still giving u 6-7 dimes a game. He could run PG or SG, but he was such an explosive scorer I would make SG his primary spot. But at 6'5 and put with a SG, PG would work great too.

The beauty of Pete is, if u combine shooting, handles, and dimes, NOBODY did all three as great as the Pistol in a package. U can list them all right now and in terms of skills and thrills Pete is the man! And at 6'5, that makes him very unique. His longevity is what stopped Pete from being in the realm of SG's like MJ, Kobe, West, and Wade, GOAT wise. On the offensive side of the rock he had SICK SHIT nobody could really handle in terms of technique and flash as a package in his own way at SG!

russwest0
01-04-2014, 04:42 AM
brandon jennings averages

LAZERUSS
01-04-2014, 01:35 PM
Just watch footage of Pistol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfWkiO2Iz08

and tell me that he wouldn't be able to score in the current NBA.

I would contend that he could lead the league in scoring, just as he did when he was playing.

La Frescobaldi
01-04-2014, 01:58 PM
Wow. He only played 26 games in the playoffs. He was a very entertaining player, but he was a ball hog, and a black hole. Pete was the anti Larry Bird.
Clearly you never watched the New Orleans Jazz.

Name one guy on that team you ever heard of besides 35 y.o. Bells who played 1 game. Henry Bibby was the only guy even worth talking about.

1 Pete Maravich
2 Nate Williams
3 Jim Barnett
4 Aaron James
5 Louie Nelson
6 Bud Stallworth
7 Neal Walk
8 Henry Bibby
9 E.C. Coleman
10 Ollie Johnson
11 Rick Roberson
12 Otto Moore
13 Mel Counts
14 John Block
15 Toby Kimball
17 Rick Adelman
18 Walt Bellamy
19 Russ Lee
20 Bernie Fryer
21 Lamar Green
22 Ken Boyd

Also explain exactly how the Pistol was a ballhog? Because he only got 6 assists a game? Look who he was passing the ball to!! Nobody.
His playoff games were in Atlanta & that team wasn't ever anything to compete with Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Dollar Bill Bradley & Dave DeBusschere - the entire Knicks starting team was Hall of Famers.

You need to look into it a lot harder before you talk about Maravich because there was a lot more to it than that.

QuebecBaller
01-04-2014, 02:23 PM

I would contend that he could lead the league in scoring, just as he did when he was playing.

:applause: :applause:

IncarceratedBob
01-04-2014, 02:34 PM
Steve Blake with a few more dimes.

SamuraiSWISH
01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
White Monta Ellis, but better passer.

NumberSix
01-04-2014, 02:44 PM
Around 41 points and 18 assists

pauk
01-04-2014, 02:52 PM
He would play PG/SG and drop something like:
25-30 ppg
4-5 rpg
7-10 apg

pauk
01-04-2014, 02:54 PM

Yep! Pete was an innovator, rebellious in a basketball era where good ol simple fundamental ball was preached and anything else was blasphemy, he proved everybody wrong, all the various type of flashy dribbling/passing and even many scoring moves you saw after he retired (and you see today) is all (or at least mostly) due to him and many stuff he used to do isnt even used today, he is the most creative player ever.

SHAQisGOAT
01-04-2014, 04:12 PM
I can't believe the ignorance of some people :facepalm :facepalm

:applause:

His influential side is underrated as hell, look at the moves he was pullin on the regular, moves that lots and lots of players did and still do, shit he was doing the dream-shake every now and then, plus plenty of moves that nobody ever duplicated again.

Let me add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTust5oFW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQgmj3bCW8

:bowdown: What an amazing talent, yet some dumb people coming in and underrating the **** out of him.
And I forgot to say, with a 3pt line, soft-ass rules, league that encourages flashy-plays and iso players... He would be even better.

Clearly you never watched the New Orleans Jazz.

Name one guy on that team you ever heard of besides 35 y.o. Bells who played 1 game. Henry Bibby was the only guy even worth talking about.

1 Pete Maravich
2 Nate Williams
3 Jim Barnett
4 Aaron James
5 Louie Nelson
6 Bud Stallworth
7 Neal Walk
8 Henry Bibby
9 E.C. Coleman
10 Ollie Johnson
11 Rick Roberson
12 Otto Moore
13 Mel Counts
14 John Block
15 Toby Kimball
17 Rick Adelman
18 Walt Bellamy
19 Russ Lee
20 Bernie Fryer
21 Lamar Green
22 Ken Boyd

Also explain exactly how the Pistol was a ballhog? Because he only got 6 assists a game? Look who he was passing the ball to!! Nobody.
His playoff games were in Atlanta & that team wasn't ever anything to compete with Walt Frazier, Willis Reed, Dollar Bill Bradley & Dave DeBusschere - the entire Knicks starting team was Hall of Famers.

You need to look into it a lot harder before you talk about Maravich because there was a lot more to it than that.

Like I've said, Pete didn't fit with the team that drafted him, a good team with Sweet Lou, Bells, Walt Hazzard and Bill Bridges but they liked to slow things down on the court, veteran players who weren't that flashy, also a team filled with black players watching a white dude coming in and gettin paid like crazy. Still a good team that had made the Western Division Finals and when Pete got there their record was considerably worse and got easily bounced in the first round.
And again, at his best with the Jazz, his teammates weren't simply good enough, plus when he started to change his ways and Truck Robinson came around -who was a really good player that you didn't mention - he got injured and was never the same again.
With that said, there's things we can't deny, Pete was too flashy for his own good, had an average shot-selection, shot-jacker, put the show in front of the right play, plenty of times didn't understand the concept of team game and he at the start he just didn't understand (team) d. Most of it was because his father let him do literally everything when he was coached by him in college, also he had sick fundamentals since an young age so he had to find ways to make the game less bothering.

La Frescobaldi
01-04-2014, 04:49 PM
I can't believe the ignorance of some people :facepalm :facepalm

:applause:

His influential side is underrated as hell, look at the moves he was pullin on the regular, moves that lots and lots of players did and still do, shit he was doing the dream-shake every now and then, plus plenty of moves that nobody ever duplicated again.

Let me add:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UTust5oFW4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiQgmj3bCW8

:bowdown: What an amazing talent, yet some dumb people coming in and underrating the **** out of him.
And I forgot to say, with a 3pt line, soft-ass rules, league that encourages flashy-plays and iso players... He would be even better.

Like I've said, Pete didn't fit with the team that drafted him, a good team with Sweet Lou, Bells, Walt Hazzard and Bill Bridges but they liked to slow things down on the court, veteran players who weren't that flashy, also a team filled with black players watching a white dude coming in and gettin paid like crazy. Still a good team that had made the Western Division Finals and when Pete got there their record was considerably worse and got easily bounced in the first round.
And again, at his best with the Jazz, his teammates weren't simply good enough, plus when he started to change his ways and Truck Robinson came around -who was a really good player that you didn't mention - he got injured and was never the same again.
With that said, there's things we can't deny, Pete was too flashy for his own good, had an average shot-selection, shot-jacker, put the show in front of the right play, plenty of times didn't understand the concept of team game and he at the start he just didn't understand (team) d. Most of it was because his father let him do literally everything when he was coached by him in college, also he had sick fundamentals since an young age so he had to find ways to make the game less bothering.

all very true. Truck was real real good in his days too

Psileas
01-04-2014, 05:01 PM
People just 1 day ago were claiming that prime Drexler would be the best SG, 27-8-6, top-3 in today's NBA, etc, yet Maravich, who was less athletic, but overall more talented and just about as creative/innovative as anyone ever was, would be Monta Ellis? Sure...