PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a VPN? Trying one out for the first time

Qwyjibo
01-04-2014, 03:47 PM
I bought a month of Private Internet Access VPN to try it out. I'm a total noob when it comes to VPNs. I'll switch the yearly one if all goes well since it's a much better value. This is mostly for my PC to hide my torrenting details and get around region locks for all sorts of things. I might try it out on my Android phone as well.

So far I haven't noticed any slowdown in terms of general browsing, streaming or downloading/uploading. I read that it will raise your ping for gaming though so it's best to turn it off when doing that. But so far, so good.

Anyone try PIA or other paid VPN? Any issues with the service ever going down? Anything else that I need to be aware of with these things?

Draz
01-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Which service are you using and how much did you pay?

Qwyjibo
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Which service are you using and how much did you pay?

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/buy-vpn/

I'm trying out the monthly one first just as a test. Would switch to the annual one if all is good since it's a much better value.

flipogb
01-04-2014, 04:19 PM
im using PIA right now, its super easy to set up port forwarding for torrents and the 1 yr price is cheap.

it is $40 for 1 yr, which is 50% off from their monthly sub. they sometimes have deals of $34.99 and if you sign up at that price, it will also renew every year at the same rate

I haven't had any problems with the service going down at all

NuggetsFan
01-04-2014, 04:39 PM
Your in Canada why would you need to hide your torrenting details?

Draz
01-04-2014, 06:05 PM
There's never a safe and secure way of downloading torrents. VPN is just a mask, I'm sure if the government really wanted your information they will get it and something like this can and would be bypassed. Use it at your own risk as well because while using this it's known the user has something to hide after all.

The_Yearning
01-04-2014, 06:09 PM
What? People actually use VPN's to download torrents?

bladefd
01-04-2014, 07:27 PM
I stay away from public torrents unless if it's a tv show. Even with a VPN. Better to be safe than sorry :D

DeuceWallaces
01-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I just use them for remote access to work servers. If you're just doing it for torrenting wouldn't a Usenet subscription be better?

GatorKid117
01-04-2014, 10:29 PM
I use astrill. Very easy and convenient to use. I think its a little more pricey than some (6$ a month) but I have no regrets.

El Kabong
01-04-2014, 11:08 PM
I just use them for remote access to work servers. If you're just doing it for torrenting wouldn't a Usenet subscription be better?
Same way I use them, and even then I only log in once a week and do nothing so I can write off my computer/Internet on my tax return.