PDA

View Full Version : If you had this guy's athleticism ...

moe94
01-05-2014, 06:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_3kVNs7nwQ

You'd at least make top flight D1 schools, right?

On one dunk, he jumped from one side yet finished on the other. Layups of that variety are impressive, much less dunks.

He did a drop step windmill and it was clean. I can only see Carter, Green, J-Rich, Desmond Mason pulling that off as far as perimeter players go.

I know this isn't new, obviously. I'm just amazed every time I watch it. How can someone with that body not take complete advantage of it?

moe94
01-05-2014, 03:26 PM
To make this thread have some real discussion, who would you say are the 5 best athletes in the current NBA? Do they take full advantage of their superior athleticism or could they be a lot better?

McGee for instance. He should be a lot better than he is. Same with Deandre Jordan.

PistonsFan#21
01-05-2014, 04:02 PM
impressive vert and speed. how tall is he?

Vienceslav
01-05-2014, 04:07 PM
It's not just about your vert, I know it's the most obvious thing, but sometimes this over the top superior athleticism can be the demise of the prospect, the rely on it and fail to develop other skills and when they come to the league where the difference between their athleticism and the average guy is not as significant and by that time it's often too late to catch up.
I guess the American school system as it is constructed discovers most of the athletes so there's not a guy who could have played in the NBA without ever shooting a ball, but there must be a lot of guys who could be NFL lineman for example walking around in Europe or Africa.

moe94
01-05-2014, 04:11 PM
great post^

impressive vert and speed. how tall is he?

6'5, iirc. He has SG size, at least.

PistonsFan#21
01-05-2014, 04:14 PM
great post^

6'5, iirc. He has SG size, at least.

im pretty confident i could play college ball with that size and athleticism. But then again theres plenty of athletic guys that dont amount to anything

moe94
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
im pretty confident i could play college ball with that size and athleticism. But then again theres plenty of athletic guys that dont amount to anything

That's the thing, we're talking purely college here and his athleticism is far and above NBA elite status. If you can't at least get D1 offers, then just wow.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-05-2014, 04:22 PM
What do you mean by top flight D1 school? You need a lot more than athleticism to play at the unc, duke, and uk's of the world.

If you mean any bcs level school then sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHgEJPkzGuw

Swaggin916
01-05-2014, 04:58 PM
Not going to matter all that much when there are guys who are 6'10 who may not be able to jump as high, but can get up just as quick and have 6 inches plus of reach on you.

Obviously it helps to be that athletic, but like someone said, a lot of players tend to rely on it and at higher levels almost everyone is athletic so you aren't separating yourself by much.

HylianNightmare
01-05-2014, 04:59 PM
with that size vert and speed of course

OhNoTimNoSho
01-05-2014, 05:41 PM
It really comes down to work ethic. This guy is clearly a lazy waste, but anyone with a hard work ethic should be able to make the NBA with that kinda of athleticism.

IGOTGAME
01-05-2014, 07:19 PM
It really comes down to work ethic. This guy is clearly a lazy waste, but anyone with a hard work ethic should be able to make the NBA with that kinda of athleticism.
That last part is silly.

jamal99
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/07/26/former-auburn-guard-shaquille-johnson-headed-to-junior-college/

Wow, this guy won't even make it to the China league. What a waste of great genes...

STATUTORY
01-05-2014, 07:36 PM
we are only seeing his vertical, athleticism encompasses a lot of other attributes that we are not getting a good gauge on based on this video

moe94
01-05-2014, 07:44 PM
we are only seeing his vertical, athleticism encompasses a lot of other attributes that we are not getting a good gauge on based on this video

He's as fast as any NBA 2guard. He's as big as any of them. He has their agility and jumps a lot higher than most, if not all of them. His athleticism is unquestioned.

STATUTORY
01-05-2014, 08:09 PM
He's as fast as any NBA 2guard. He's as big as any of them. He has their agility and jumps a lot higher than most, if not all of them. His athleticism is unquestioned.

what about coordination and body control. If Usain bolt could dribble, he be in the NBA too

sundizz
01-06-2014, 02:38 AM
If i had this guy's athleticism I'd be a NBA Hall of Famer. With that level of athleticism it comes down to your mind. He is genetically gifted beyond 99.9999% of the world. The NBA is a league of players that can combine there 99% genetic gifts with some varying level of ability.

veilside23
01-06-2014, 05:07 AM
If i had this guy's athleticism I'd be a NBA Hall of Famer. With that level of athleticism it comes down to your mind. He is genetically gifted beyond 99.9999% of the world. The NBA is a league of players that can combine there 99% genetic gifts with some varying level of ability.

no just no ... that aint true at all who could possible be more athletic than this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

i know VC played and had a wonderful career he might be nba hall of famer maybe or maybe not ... But even if you would be the most atheletic dude if you dont have 101% dedication and discipline ... you would be a basketball player but not nba hall of famer... or wont even make it to the nba

clutchinho
01-06-2014, 05:43 AM
I'd rather have DeAndre Jordan's body and athleticism, at the very least I'd be a fringe NBA all-star

This Shaquille Johnson guy is very athletic, but he's only 6'5. At that height athleticism alone doesn't guarantee you a spot in the NBA.