PDA

View Full Version : Cavs attempting to trade Andrew Bynum Thread

$LakerGold
01-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Cavs Refuse To Include Dion Waiters In Possible Trade

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
As Lakers push for assets in Gasol-Bynum discussions, Cavs have refused to include Dion Waiters in talks, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Adrian Wojnarowski ✔ @WojYahooNBA
Follow
Cavs understand Gasol could simply be half-season rental. Lakers want value in return -- not just financial savings. There's a gap to close.

Rookie Sergey Karasev was mentioned as a possible players coming back to LA in the deal, but it’s clear the Cavaliers aren’t giving up on Waiters just yet. The 22-year-old second-year player from Syracuse reportedly requested a trade out of Cleveland, but just three games out of a playoff spot, they can use his scoring.

alec613
01-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Lakers would obviously go for Waiters, knowing that it would be talked down.
Maybe they really can snag Karasev

IncarceratedBob
01-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Waiters/Bynum for Gasol/Lakers 1st this year

Le Shaqtus
01-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Why? I don't know whats so great about him.

NattyPButter
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Lolz they are smoking the pipe if they think Gasoft is worth Bynum and Waiters. Dion will be a All star player in a few years if they removed him from the 6th man position.

$LakerGold
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Why? I don't know whats so great about him.
What was so great about Kobe in his rookie year?

alec613
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM

So Cavs become a playoff team while having a lottery pick that could turn out to be top 5 because Lakers are tanking hard because their anchor, Pau, is gone

Scal
01-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I don't understand why the Lakers would really be chasing Waiters. Clearly they have committed to Kobe to the next 2 seasons, not to mention already having a similar player in Young, as well as Henry.

FatComputerNerd
01-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Dion has shown the ability to dominate on offense, and play either guard spot with competent defense. I think most would agree his ceiling is very high, especially given how young he is.

That said, did he really request a trade? I don't think I'd want players on my team who didn't want to be here...

Then again, this is Cleveland. I'm not so sure I want to be here myself... :oldlol:

hawkfan
01-05-2014, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=$LakerGold]Rookie Sergey Karasev was mentioned as a possible players coming back to LA in the deal, but it

Uncle Drew
01-05-2014, 04:10 PM
Dion has shown the ability to dominate on offense, and play either guard spot with competent defense. I think most would agree his ceiling is very high, especially with how young he is.

That said, did he really request a trade? I don't think I'd want players on my team who didn't want to be here...

Then again, this is Cleveland. I'm not so sure I want to be here myself... :oldlol:
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10154769/dion-waiters-denies-asking-cleveland-cavaliers-trade

He's staying with us.

Meticode
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
What a disaster the Cavs season has been thus far.

BlackVVaves
01-05-2014, 04:13 PM
The better question is....

Why does Mitch think it's even conceivable that the Cavs front office would give them Waiters for a likely half-year rental in Pau?

I know Pau for Bynym helps the Cavs in what they are trying to do right now (make the playoffs) more than it would help the Lakers right now (though the move isn't designed for right now for LA but rather the future), and Mitch probably wants to receive more because of that. But, Waiters?

He should be pressing for a top 12-15 protected first rounder instead.

^^

BlackVVaves
01-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I just hit google for some news on this story, and came across Lakersground. These dudes in a 150 page thread about this Pau/Bynum trade think they should be getting a first rounder, Waiters, and Bynum for Pau

OMG :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

What ****ing homer and spoiled idiots :oldlol:

TheMarkMadsen
01-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Waiters wants out doe

NattyPButter
01-05-2014, 04:18 PM
Dion has shown the ability to dominate on offense, and play either guard spot with competent defense. I think most would agree his ceiling is very high, especially given how young he is.

No he denied it and even said he doesn't know where these ppl keep coming up with these news stories.

HylianNightmare
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
can the lakers thorw in anything to get waiters>? he could be good in LA

alec613
01-05-2014, 04:24 PM
No he denied it and even said he doesn't know where these ppl keep coming up with these news stories.
where there's smoke, there's fire

sure if they include their guaranteed lottery pick
Lakers are not getting Waiters

$LakerGold
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
As for now, no. But if the Lakers had Boozer, they'd throw him in the mix also.

NattyPButter
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
I just hit google for some news on this story, and came across Lakersground. These dudes in a 150 page thread about this Pau/Bynum trade think they should be getting a first rounder, Waiters, and Bynum for Pau

Cavs fans can be just as bad. On one board i Bynum for Gasol and Nick Young. Though the Lakers crowd went a little to far with their trades.

TheMarkMadsen
01-05-2014, 04:26 PM

I'd throw in anybody..Nick Young or whoever else they want.

We might as well just tank, get a good rookie, and fill the team out in free agency

Marshall looks like he could be a good back up, Waiters would be an awesome 6th man (doubt we get him) who can be promised the reigns once Kobe leaves and can play close to starter minutes

alec613
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
No rush for the Lakers, really.

Lakers still has the trade deadline to fall back on

IncarceratedBob
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
Kyrie also wants out of Cleveland, no way he is traded though correct?

$LakerGold
01-05-2014, 04:32 PM
Kyrie also wants out of Cleveland, no way he is traded though correct?
Source?

BlackVVaves
01-05-2014, 04:37 PM
Cavs fans can be just as bad. On one board i Bynum for Gasol and Nick Young. Though the Lakers crowd went a little to far with their trades.

Do these people enjoy living outside the realms of rationale? :facepalm

Pau for Bynum and a Top 12 protected pick in this year's draft. Then once the lottery hits, flip both picks to a team desperate for depth to move up a couple spots in the draft.

THAT should be Mitch's prerogative.

Uncle Drew
01-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Source?
He's just talking out of his ass, as usual..

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 04:40 PM

retard IncarceratedBob they cant trade their this yr 1st

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Only move Gasol if you can get rid of Nash too. Otherwise, let Gasol expire. Makes no sense for the Lakers to trade away the best PF/C that will be available this summer. Especially one that's proven to have chemistry with Kobe and was a major force in their 2 championships and 3 finals runs.

Oh and, Nick Young >>> Dion Waiters

Yeah I said it.

$LakerGold
01-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Oh... lol

BlackVVaves
01-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Only move Gasol if you can get rid of Nash too. Otherwise, let Gasol expire. Makes no sense for the Lakers to trade away the best PF/C that will be available this summer. Especially one that's proven to have chemistry with Kobe and was a major force in their 2 championships and 3 finals runs.

Yeah I said it.

Based on what? Aside from blind homerism of course :rolleyes:

MP.Trey
01-05-2014, 04:58 PM

Yeah I said it.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 05:02 PM
Based on what? Aside from blind homerism of course :rolleyes:

Check the numbers. One also is a better locker room guy. Young actually doesn't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Can't say the same about Waiters.

bdreason
01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Lakers want to get under the tax threshold this year so they can avoid the repeater tax. Trading Gasol isn't just about clearing tax space for next season.

Derka
01-05-2014, 05:12 PM
Well shit, I wouldn't either. For Pau??

MP.Trey
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Check the numbers. One also is a better locker room guy. Young actually doesn't care whether he starts or comes off the bench. Can't say the same about Waiters.
Let's see, Young's 28, in the physical prime of his life and putting up 16.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.4 assists on 42% and 36% from three. He's been in the league for 7 years and has struggled to find consistent starting minutes.

Dion's 22, far from his prime and putting up 15.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists on 42% and 38% from three. He's been in the league for 2 years and is being held by the organization because of the talent he's shown as well as his potential.

Also, don't know where you're getting these assumptions that Waiters cares about whether he's coming off the bench or not. He's still getting starter minutes, has not complained one bit and has actually been playing better this season since his move to the bench.

So... which one would you rather have on your team? We'll keep Waiters, thank you.

BlackVVaves
01-05-2014, 05:15 PM

In regards to production, one is in his second year, the other has been in the NBA for quite some time. Do you also think Nick Young > Harrison Barnes?

Agree that Waiters has had locker room issues. Still picking his upside as a sophomore over Young who we already know who and what he is - a offensive spark plug who doesn't really contribute in any other way aside from scoring, and is tremendously streaky as a shooter.

BlackVVaves
01-05-2014, 05:16 PM
Let's see, Young's 28, in the physical prime of his life and putting up 16.5 points, 2.5 rebounds and 1.4 assists on 42% and 36% from three. He's been in the league for 7 years and has struggled to find consistent starting minutes.

Dion's 22, far from his prime and putting up 15.3 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.3 assists on 42% and 38% from three. He's been in the league for 2 years and is being held by the organization because of the talent he's shown as well as his potential.

Also, don't know where you're getting these assumptions that Waiters cares about whether he's coming off the bench or not. He's still getting starter minutes, has not complained one bit and has actually been playing better this season since his move to the bench.

So... which one would you rather have on your team? We'll keep Waiters, thank you.

Yeah, homeboy suffering from severe homerism man :oldlol:

gyu
01-05-2014, 05:31 PM

Honestly it's not that far fetched. Bynum's been a scrub this season, could only play like 20 minutes a game with the Cavs, has degenerative knee problems and is known league wide for not having heart/motivation.

Meticode
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Some more tweets from local Cavs reporters...

#Cavs say they're doing #Lakers favor, sources say, providing LA w salary relief. Cavs would get immediate help/potential trade chip in deal

#Lakers have indeed asked #Cavs for Dion Waiters in potential Bynum-Gasol trade, league sources say. Cavs basically laughed.

#Lakers asked for 1st-rd pick, sources say. #Cavs said no. LA offered to swap firsts, Cavs said no. LA also asked about Varejao, still no.

RedBlackAttack
01-05-2014, 05:40 PM
Honestly it's not that far fetched. Bynum's been a scrub this season, could only play like 20 minutes a game with the Cavs, has degenerative knee problems and is known league wide for not having heart/motivation.
He was joking... and you don't think it's far fetched?

I don't even want Gasol, tbh. I wish the Cavs would just stop answering the damn phone.

#Lakers have indeed asked #Cavs for Dion Waiters in potential Bynum-Gasol trade, league sources say. Cavs basically laughed.

#Lakers asked for 1st-rd pick, sources say. #Cavs said no. LA offered to swap firsts, Cavs said no. LA also asked about Varejao, still no.

chips93
01-05-2014, 05:41 PM
Waiters wants out doe

he got no leverage doe

AirTupac
01-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Lakers cant trade their 2014 picks, tweet seems like BS.

All Net
01-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Not surprised..

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 05:55 PM
He was joking... and you don't think it's far fetched?

I don't even want Gasol, tbh. I wish the Cavs would just stop answering the damn phone.

from all the tweets its clear that cavs r the one calling lakers and not the other way around

TheMarkMadsen
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
Some more tweets from local Cavs reporters...

Lakers have some balls :roll:

RedBlackAttack
01-05-2014, 05:58 PM
from all the tweets its clear that cavs r the one calling lakers and not the other way around

How do you figure? :oldlol:

The Cavs' stance has not changed during this entire negotiation. They're basically saying they want a straight up swap of Bynum for Gasol. Meanwhile, the Lakers have asked for everything -- according to reports -- from Waiters to picks to Varejao, only to be rebuffed each time.

You don't make calls with the same offer over and over. You pick up the phone when you have new offers to make. Those are coming from Lakers' camp.

RedBlackAttack
01-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Lakers cant trade their 2014 picks, tweet seems like BS.
I don't trust anything Amico says, so it could be just completely made up. But, it wouldn't have to be a 2014 pick. That's not stipulated anywhere in the tweet.

AirTupac
01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
I don't trust anything Amico says, so it could be just completely made up. But, it wouldn't have to be a 2014 pick. That's not stipulated anywhere in the tweet.

Im pretty sure the next draft pick the Lakers can trade is like 2019 or something :oldlol:

AirTupac
01-05-2014, 06:03 PM

The Cavs' stance has not changed during this entire negotiation. They're basically saying they want a straight up swap of Bynum for Gasol. Meanwhile, the Lakers have asked for everything -- according to reports -- from Waiters to picks to Varejao, only to be rebuffed each time.

You don't make calls with the same offer over and over. You pick up the phone when you have new offers to make. Those are coming from Lakers' camp.

The salaries don't much so it can't be just a straight swap. It would have to be something like Bynum, Gee and a 2nd round pick. Lakers aren't pressured to do this trade, they can wait until the trade deadline to find something else. Cavs seemingly want to get rid of Bynum by today so his contract isn't guaranteed on Tuesday.

cuad

Congrats, you found one of the trashiest sites on the 'net.

chips93

their 15 and 17 picks are already owed to other teams, so if it is true, the earliest the pick could be for, would be 2019.

id say airtupac is right, calling the report bs.

coin24
Get it done Mitch :cheers:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 06:04 PM

lol u beleive everything what stupid samamico is reporting really? thats what u cavs fan do? jesus christ...

lakers dont have a deadline ..its the cave

& if the lakers were so desperate to get below lux tax they would have Amnestied Gasol instead of MWP and would have gotten below lux tax...

is it that hard to understand?

SilkkTheShocker
01-05-2014, 06:11 PM
Laker fans are absolutely delusional if they think they are getting Waiters, picks, or Varejao :oldlol: :oldlol:

PickernRoller
01-05-2014, 06:16 PM
Mitch ripping off a team is guaranteed. Unless Stern gets involved to f'ck up the Lakers once more. We all know the block on the CP3 trade was so Lebron could win his rings to solidify his marketability as the next face of the nba. Since obviously Lebron couldn't even do it the first year - more guaranteed competition was a NO NO. It's all about the business. Same with the collective bargaining agreement. We all know late Dr. Buss was shackled and forced to vote yes for his own PR. Too smart this dirty Stern. His legacy will however be tarnished by the product he leaves for future generations, weak eras.

jbryan1984
01-05-2014, 06:24 PM
I would do Bynum for Pau and the option to swap picks. But including Waiters in the deal is kinda taking advantage of us. Pau is older now, he is not an All-Star player anymore and is just going to leave next year anyway to some contending team for cheap.

niko
01-05-2014, 06:25 PM
It will be like always, Cavs sit on their assets, do nothing, continue to suck. Not saying Cavs should get ripped off, but this is what always happens. Figure something else out. If you really are trying to make the playoffs, get Pau, try. Not RJ who is a load of total garbage or someone similar.

nevetslc88
01-05-2014, 06:27 PM
It will be like always, Cavs sit on their assets, do nothing, continue to suck.

pretty much this.

and the mediocre Cavs train keeps rollin.

D-Rose
01-05-2014, 06:32 PM
If I was a Cavs fan, I want some of these young & valuable assets to be translated into vets. Not sure Gasol is it...but there's no way this team is going to blossom with 4 or so top lottery picks at the same time, just because it happened in OKC doesn't mean it's ideal.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 06:33 PM
It will be like always, Cavs sit on their assets, do nothing, continue to suck. Not saying Cavs should get ripped off, but this is what always happens. Figure something else out. If you really are trying to make the playoffs, get Pau, try. Not RJ who is a load of total garbage or someone similar.

another lottery...another bennett...& another lottery...enjoy revenue sharing at the same time...

coin24
01-05-2014, 06:36 PM
If I was a Cavs fan, I want some of these young & valuable assets to be translated into vets. Not sure Gasol is it...but there's no way this team is going to blossom with 4 or so top lottery picks at the same time, just because it happened in OKC doesn't mean it's ideal.

Different story if they were competent at drafting:oldlol:

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 06:38 PM

OKC got lucky and picked the right players...

look at the cavs..drafted tristan thompson...waiters...benett...

waiters before Andre Drummond, Harrison Barnes, Damian Lillard

heck I would take lillard any day any night over Kyrie overrated irving

D-Rose
01-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Different story if they were competent at drafting:oldlol:
I don't mind their drafting tbh...Kyrie was a no brainer, but the rest have been mostly surprise picks. TT and Waiters have looked solid in the past/so far...but they need the right team environment and such. Bennett is way too early to asses...they thought he was the best available talent so it's nbd that he doesn't fit in position-wise yet.

They also dealt with loads of injury issues.

Just my feeling that there's too many young gun egos in that locker room. I'd package something like Waiters+1st rounder for an all-star.

Either way, they have assets and that means a lot, just ask the Nets lol

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM

I'm pretty sure Waiters has complained about not starting when the Cavs suddenly pushed him to the bench this season. Look it up.

G-train
01-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Just release Bynum and play the young guys.

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Cavs fans, forget Gasol. We'll give out Steve Nash + Jodie Meeks for Bynum straight up. Lakers get cap relief, short-term and long-term. Cavs get veteran leadership from Nash and shooter in Meeks.

D-Rose
01-05-2014, 06:47 PM
Cavs fans, forget Gasol. We'll give out Steve Nash + Jodie Meeks for Bynum straight up. Lakers get cap relief, short-term and long-term. Cavs get veteran leadership from Nash and shooter in Meeks.
Nash can't play. They have enough injury issues.

DuMa
01-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Sam Amico
@SamAmicoFSO

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 06:49 PM
Nash can't play. They have enough injury issues.

Nash doesn't need to play. He's there for leadership in the locker room and on the bench. Kyrie needs him the most before he continues to develop his bad habits this season and it becomes permanent.

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Sam Amico
@SamAmicoFSO

This sounds bogus. Lakers can't trade their 2014 1st round pick. They also have no picks until like 2019. Seems like Cavs spreading false rumors to prompt other teams to jump in.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Sam Amico
@SamAmicoFSO

this guy is such a BS...with gasol gone why would the lakers swap 1st?

RedBlackAttack
01-05-2014, 06:58 PM
I don't mind their drafting tbh...Kyrie was a no brainer, but the rest have been mostly surprise picks. TT and Waiters have looked solid in the past/so far...but they need the right team environment and such. Bennett is way too early to asses...they thought he was the best available talent so it's nbd that he doesn't fit in position-wise yet.

They also dealt with loads of injury issues.

Just my feeling that there's too many young gun egos in that locker room. I'd package something like Waiters+1st rounder for an all-star.

Either way, they have assets and that means a lot, just ask the Nets lol
Waiters being included in a deal where Gasol is the primary piece coming back is a joke. I'd be open to trading him in a deal like you said, for an All-Star that still has some years left playing like an All-Star. Gasol is not that guy, clearly.

Waiters has had stretches this season where he's looked like a future All-Star SG and he's just 22. He can't be given away for a veteran no longer in his prime.

I'd still love to see Kyrie and Kevin Love in an offense together. I think they compliment each other perfectly. We tried to get him this past offseason and were rebuffed. It's not like the FO hasn't tried.

RedBlackAttack
01-05-2014, 06:59 PM
This sounds bogus. Lakers can't trade their 2014 1st round pick. They also have no picks until like 2019. Seems like Cavs spreading false rumors to prompt other teams to jump in.
More likely Amico just made it up. He does that a lot.

He's the same guy that said the Cavs were taking Alex Len at No. 1 and it was a done deal. He throws sh!t at the wall and hopes something sticks.

Jason Lloyd is the guy to watch. He's the Cavs beat reporter who actually does seem to have inside information. He's been very quiet through all of this.

fiddy
01-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Sam Amico
@SamAmicoFSO

Cavs can go ****themselves

D-Rose
01-05-2014, 07:03 PM
Waiters being included in a deal where Gasol is the primary piece coming back is a joke. I'd be open to trading him in a deal like you said, for an All-Star that still has some years left playing like an All-Star. Gasol is not that guy, clearly.

Waiters has had stretches this season where he's looked like a future All-Star SG and he's just 22. He can't be given away for a veteran no longer in his prime.

I'd still love to see Kyrie and Kevin Love in an offense together. I think they compliment each other perfectly. We tried to get him this past offseason and were rebuffed. It's not like the FO hasn't tried.
Yeah, Gasol is not worth giving up Waiters for.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 07:04 PM

why does Love want to come & play for the cavs again? looks like lakers will have a max available in 2015....

Kyrie needs to pass the ball 1st for that to work ...lol

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 07:05 PM
Not sure why Lakers want Waiters..

Young already fills that role beautifully. I rather take one of the Cavs 1st round picks.

Still don't want the trade since it hurts Lakers chances of retaining Gasol this offseason..why would he go back to a team that traded him?

Should be Nash that's being traded, or at least up for discussion.

coin24
01-05-2014, 07:08 PM
Not sure why Lakers want Waiters..

Young already fills that role beautifully. I rather take one of the Cavs 1st round picks.

Still don't want the trade since it hurts Lakers chances of retaining Gasol this offseason..why would he go back to a team that traded him?

Should be Nash that's being traded, or at least up for discussion.

Who the fu*k would be stupid enough to trade for Nash? He's finished.

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Trade him back to Phoenix for Okafor and a 2nd round pick. Hell, keep the 2nd round pick.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Hey RedBlackAttack

take a chill pill...watch this video...may be will it will make u feel better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07X9MxoL3YI

TwentyThree
01-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 4m
Doors closing on cross country flight for me, and time running short on Cavs completing a Bynum deal for Gasol. LA wants Sunday resolution.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA 8s
Both Lakers and Jazz want the 48 hours to make sure players pass physicals in Cleveland. Bynum will be waived regardless.

AirTupac
01-05-2014, 07:23 PM
I think the deal is off. Pau is going to play for the Lakers tonight.

MP.Trey
01-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Of course they won't trade him. It's Dion Waiters Bobblehead Night in Cleveland tonight.

AirTupac
01-05-2014, 07:27 PM
Lmao

From the Cavs forums:

Tom Withers (@twithersAP) tweeted 6:21pm - 5 Jan 14:

None of #Cavs front office members in their usual seats. Something must be up.

BallsOut
01-05-2014, 07:38 PM
So from everything I've heard thus far, here's what's happening:

The Cavs have the Jazz trade of Richard Jefferson for Bynum + 2nd round pick on the table.

They're waiting on the Lakers to offer Pau Gasol for Bynum + 2nd round pick, because they view Pau Gasol >>>>>>>> Richard Jefferson.

But the Lakers want something more valuable than a 2nd round pick. They want Dion Waiters (I'm not sure why) or a 1st round pick which has been stalling the talks.

The deadline to set everything up for physicals is supposedly 5pm Pacific time today? Cavs game already started today. Lakers game starts at 6:30pm Pacific time tonight.

hawkfan
01-05-2014, 09:10 PM

Nash will either retire or the Lakers will release him and spread out his contract via the stretch provision (no homo) for less of a cap hit next summer.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 10:21 PM
So from everything I've heard thus far, here's what's happening:

The Cavs have the Jazz trade of Richard Jefferson for Bynum + 2nd round pick on the table.

They're waiting on the Lakers to offer Pau Gasol for Bynum + 2nd round pick, because they view Pau Gasol >>>>>>>> Richard Jefferson.

But the Lakers want something more valuable than a 2nd round pick. They want Dion Waiters (I'm not sure why) or a 1st round pick which has been stalling the talks.

The deadline to set everything up for physicals is supposedly 5pm Pacific time today? Cavs game already started today. Lakers game starts at 6:30pm Pacific time tonight.

the retard Chris Grant is dangling the same package for Jefferson and Gasol...That dude is out of his mind

KyrieTheFuture
01-05-2014, 10:24 PM
the retard Chris Grant is dangling the same package for Jefferson and Gasol...That dude is out of his mind
Why are you so mad?

GASOL IS GOAT
01-05-2014, 10:33 PM
Any news?

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 10:36 PM
Why are you so mad?

u think its right? even as a cav fan? same package for Jefferson and for gasol?

redboy
01-05-2014, 10:38 PM
i don't expect the lakers to get dion waiters but i do think that they have to get at least some kind of asset back for gasol. it's not like bynum's going to contribute, and the lakers giving up gasol for only financial purposes is kind of ridiculous. there's just too much distance between the two teams for this deal to be completed

Meticode
01-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Any news?
Rurmors are talks are down with the Lakers, Cavs might look elsewhere. Other than that, nothing.

gts
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM

It's not about value it's about shuffling pieces to get through the rest of the season. Gasol is clearly the better player BUT a rental at best, he's not going to stay in Cleveland... I wouldn't give up anything of value for him unless I actually wanted him long term and knew he'd stay long term

niko
01-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Cavs will cut him, get nothing back, he'll go to clippers, they'll look stupid, somebody will write 1,000 words on how it was the best thing for them. Rinse and repeat forever.

B-Easy8
01-05-2014, 10:44 PM
Cavs will cut him, get nothing back, he'll go to clippers, they'll look stupid, somebody will write 1,000 words on how it was the best thing for them. Rinse and repeat forever.

Pretty spot on.

RedBlackAttack
01-05-2014, 10:44 PM
The dumbest thing would be to make a desperate move just to make one. Waiving him does nothing to hurt the state of the franchise. Including Dion Waiters in a deal for Pau Gasol is laughable at best.

I don't even want the guy, period, as he will take valuable playing time away from the young bigs already here. Giving up arguably the team's second best young player? Come on. No need for 1,000 words to explain why that's a bad move.

This deal is dead, btw.

gts
01-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Cavs will cut him, get nothing back, he'll go to clippers, they'll look stupid, somebody will write 1,000 words on how it was the best thing for them. Rinse and repeat forever.I don't think that's a bad thing.. better to do that than to give up a promising player or draft pick. Cavs have spent a lot of time getting to where they are, a Gasol plus giving up Waiters or first round pick would be a step back.. IMO

I can't speak for Utah fans but I don't think either the Cavs or Lakers are being unreasonable in what they want, I just think they'll have to agree there's nothing there and move on.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 11:03 PM
It's not about value it's about shuffling pieces to get through the rest of the season. Gasol is clearly the better player BUT a rental at best, he's not going to stay in Cleveland... I wouldn't give up anything of value for him unless I actually wanted him long term and knew he'd stay long term

no asset coming back...no trade then...at trade deadline there would be teams trying to trade for him....

i know about the cap space

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-05-2014, 11:05 PM
The dumbest thing would be to make a desperate move just to make one. Waiving him does nothing to hurt the state of the franchise. Including Dion Waiters in a deal for Pau Gasol is laughable at best.

I don't even want the guy, period, as he will take valuable playing time away from the young bigs already here. Giving up arguably the team's second best young player? Come on. No need for 1,000 words to explain why that's a bad move.

This deal is dead, btw.

where did u hear that?

WeGetRing2012
01-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Cavs are stupid. They might as well try to make things work with Bynum. Waiving him for nothing would be dumb at this point.

WeGetRing2012
01-05-2014, 11:07 PM
no asset coming back...no trade then...at trade deadline there would be teams trying to trade for him....

i know about the cap space

We dont even need to trade Gasol to get under the luxury tax. If we cant get something of value for him we can just let him expire.

Black and White
01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
We dont even need to trade Gasol to get under the luxury tax. If we cant get something of value for him we can just let him expire.

I'm pretty sure they are trying to trade him to avoid the repeater tax.

KyrieTheFuture
01-05-2014, 11:30 PM
To be honest I'm really confused as to why any of the teams involved in these trade talks are interested in these trades. Mainly because as a cavs fan I'm unsure if were still competing for a playoff spot

WeGetRing2012
01-05-2014, 11:34 PM

But he's not the only option we have to get below the tax line. We can trade Kaman or Hill and still avoid the repeater tax.

Black and White
01-05-2014, 11:36 PM
But he's not the only option we have to get below the tax line. We can trade Kaman or Hill and still avoid the repeater tax.

Kaman maybe, but I don't think the Lakers will trade Hill. A Gasol trade helps the tank, so it seems like the most obvious move to make.

D-Rose
01-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Windhorst reports that talks on hold for tonight, will continue tomorrow.

gts
01-06-2014, 01:00 AM

Doesn't even do that though really.. For the repeater tax to be levied it's 4 out of 5 years above the tax cap so the earliest they see that is 2015... if they somehow were get below by the end of this season they'd still have to be below it at least once more in the next 2 seasons just to kick that can down the road...

I do agree they'll want to get below the tax line... not to save tax money but to be able to make trades and sign players...

As far as trades go before this summer I do think they'll make an effort to avoid any salary incoming so they can be active this summer by staying far enough below the tax line to have all avenues of acquiring players open to them but that was self evident last summer when every contract they signed was for one year

RedBlackAttack
01-06-2014, 01:10 AM
where did u hear that?
Woj basically said as much earlier and that seemed to be the general sentiment. Also, an "insider" over on RCF seemed very confident in saying talks had ended.

Now, a few hours later, it seems like there is still a bit of smoke so who knows what's going on.

El Kabong
01-06-2014, 01:33 AM

This deal is dead, btw.
Is this just being done to make a run at a playoff spot to keep Kyrie happy? Seems like an odd combination, Gasol is a sweetner for a team making a championship run at this point, not someone to put on a young team with plenty of prospects already at his position. Would kind of be like what the Jazz had the previous two seasons.

Gasol is the easiest piece to move though and trading for Bynum means you can buy him out since his contract isn't guaranteed. Trade Hill/Kaman and you'd have to take salary back, unless you want to offload even more in the form of other players or trade picks to get the team to take a contract for nothing. Hill is actually decent too, so he'd be a handy guy to keep beyond this year.

bdreason
01-06-2014, 04:04 AM
Lakers should just try to get Earl Clark back in the deal. He's only playing about 20 mpg in Cleveland, and he only makes ~5m next year. He also fits well as a stretch 4 in Dantoni's system.

no pun intended
01-06-2014, 04:21 AM
Lakers should just try to get Earl Clark back in the deal. He's only playing about 20 mpg in Cleveland, and he only makes ~5m next year. He also fits well as a stretch 4 in Dantoni's system.
this. rather have him than the scrub shawne williams

gts
01-06-2014, 02:11 PM

Lakers don't want contracts back in the deal unless it's a player they want to keep long term. It may only be 5 million but that's 5 million tied up next summer by a player that they have no real interest in having long term

gts
01-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Chance he might not even be on the roster tomorrow

Nash
01-06-2014, 02:15 PM
they should take Bennett

RoundMoundOfReb
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM
What's the deadline to cut Bynum?

gts
01-06-2014, 02:21 PM
What's the deadline to cut Bynum? Tomorrow

All Net
01-06-2014, 02:24 PM

Tomorrow..otherwise they will be forced to pay him.

RoundMoundOfReb
01-06-2014, 02:29 PM
So any deal will probably have to happen within 24 hours. Bynum for Gasol straight up makes sense. Although if I were Cleveland I would just cut Bynum. Pau sucks now.

bdreason
01-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Lakers don't want contracts back in the deal unless it's a player they want to keep long term. It may only be 5 million but that's 5 million tied up next summer by a player that they have no real interest in having long term

You have to put a team on the court next season. $5m for Earl Clark is a good value ... and I would hardly call a contract that expires next season a long-term deal.

gts
01-06-2014, 03:49 PM
You have to put a team on the court next season. $5m for Earl Clark is a good value ... and I would hardly call a contract that expires next season a long-term deal.Lakers want the maximum cap space possible next summer.. that's 5 million tied up on a player they won't even keep.. they can easily fill the space Clark takes up with a vet's min player. He's not that hard to replace. Don't forget, they already had him and let him go. If they wanted him on the roster he'd be on the roster

bdreason
01-06-2014, 03:55 PM
And they'll have to use that cap space to sign 13 players. Good luck finding 13 quality players in free agency. The team will end up looking like it does this year, with a bunch of has-beens and never-weres... and Kobe and Nash. :oldlol:

TheMarkMadsen
01-06-2014, 03:58 PM
And they'll have to use that cap space to sign 13 players. Good luck finding 13 quality players in free agency. The team will end up looking like it does this year, with a bunch of has-beens and never-weres... and Kobe and Nash. :oldlol:

won't need to sign 13 players but ok

All Net
01-06-2014, 04:05 PM
There's nothing of note rumour wise this morning yet.. Doubt any deal happens.

gts
01-06-2014, 06:25 PM
To expand on my earlier post

Just saw this on twitter, the deadline for waving Bynum is 5pmEST tomorrow

hawkfan
01-06-2014, 06:28 PM
Cavs get

Kris Humphries (expirer)

Celtics get

Andrew Bynum (expirer)

The Cavs get Humphries to help out at the bigs, taking Bynum's minutes.

The Celtics get Bynum. They either release him or they re-trade him to another team. Or they keep him and see if he can work out with them.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Cavs get

Kris Humphries (expirer)

Celtics get

Andrew Bynum (expirer)

The Cavs get Humphries to help out at the bigs, taking Bynum's minutes.

The Celtics get Bynum. They either release him or they re-trade him to another team. Or they keep him and see if he can work out with them.

No

hawkfan
01-06-2014, 06:42 PM
No

The Celtics can just release Bynum and save 6 million in salary and get far away from the luxury tax line.

Also by doing this, the Celtics get more trade flexibility if they want to move Bass out this year.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 06:52 PM
The Celtics can just release Bynum and save 6 million in salary and get far away from the luxury tax line.

Also by doing this, the Celtics get more trade flexibility if they want to move Bass out this year.

I can agree with this part, I was disagreeing with the possibility of using him on the team.

RedBlackAttack
01-06-2014, 07:02 PM
I can agree with this part, I was disagreeing with the possibility of using him on the team.
The other part would be a tanking strategy. If I were the Cs, I'd be making a push for that No. 1 pick.

On the Cavs end, though, the last thing we need is another PF. If I were Chris Grant, I'd be doing everything possible to land Jeff Green. He'd be a great fit next to Irving, imo, and we have no serviceable SF on the roster.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 07:07 PM
The other part would be a tanking strategy. If I were the Cs, I'd be making a push for that No. 1 pick.

On the Cavs end, though, the last thing we need is another PF. If I were Chris Grant, I'd be doing everything possible to land Jeff Green. He'd be a great fit next to Irving, imo, and we have no serviceable SF on the roster.

Yep if we have a legit shot at a top 3 pick you can take Jeff Green, we will just draft Wiggins or Parker to fill the void. The tanking is starting to work but there are alot of teams to contend with.

All Net
01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Rumours kings involved as 3rd team?

RedBlackAttack
01-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Yep if we have a legit shot at a top 3 pick you can take Jeff Green, we will just draft Wiggins or Parker to fill the void. The tanking is starting to work but there are alot of teams to contend with.
Unfortunately, the Cavs are currently one of those teams. :oldlol:

You could kill two birds with one stone by giving us Green... Put yourselves in a better draft position and get us out of the way... because I think this is a playoff team with a solid starting SF, assuming the roster remains semi-healthy.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 07:45 PM
Unfortunately, the Cavs are currently one of those teams. :oldlol:

You could kill two birds with one stone by giving us Green... Put yourselves in a better draft position and get us out of the way... because I think this is a playoff team with a solid starting SF, assuming the roster remains semi-healthy.

Exactly :lol

Yea it could work, Greens contract isn't great but he is still a good player who I can see working with your team, what happens with your front court tho? Would you not want to make a move to accomodate that or are you happy with the current forwards?

Danny needs to find a way of getting rid of Wallaces contract as well.

RedBlackAttack
01-06-2014, 08:03 PM
Exactly :lol

Yea it could work, Greens contract isn't great but he is still a good player who I can see working with your team, what happens with your front court tho? Would you not want to make a move to accomodate that or are you happy with the current forwards?

Danny needs to find a way of getting rid of Wallaces contract as well.
Actually, I think with Zeller back, the frontcourt is OK. Varejao and Thompson are both starting caliber players in this league, Zeller is a serviceable backup and Bennett should be seeing more minutes in the second half of the season.

Hell, Green can even play some PF in smaller sets.

I think part of the problem the Cavs have had this year is trying to do too much with the frontcourt. They tried to play a certain way with Bynum on the floor, then completely switched up with the other guys. He was like an all-consuming presence on the floor. It wasn't good for chemistry purposes.

Plus, Zeller coming back from injury helps.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 08:05 PM
Actually, I think with Zeller back, the frontcourt is OK. Varejao and Thompson are both starting caliber players in this league, Zeller is a serviceable backup and Bennett should be seeing more minutes in the second half of the season.

Hell, Green can even play some PF in smaller sets.

I think part of the problem the Cavs have had this year is trying to do too much with the frontcourt. They tried to play a certain way with Bynum on the floor, then completely switched up with the other guys. Plus, Zeller coming back from injury helps.

I think Tristan is a quality player, with Bennett it's hit or miss, you never know, Green can def play PF against the smaller teams, maybe with a more consistent line-up you guys will start to see results, I never really saw Bynum working with a team like this.

RedBlackAttack
01-06-2014, 08:10 PM
I think Tristan is a quality player, with Bennett it's hit or miss, you never know, Green can def play PF against the smaller teams, maybe with a more consistent line-up you guys will start to see results, I never really saw Bynum working with a team like this.
I was actually surprised at how much he had played in the first 25 games. He was to the point where he was playing 23-28 minutes consistently, night in and night out. A lot of people didn't even think he'd step back on the floor until midway through the season.

So, in that respect, the Bynum experiment was a nice surprise. Obviously, that all goes out the window with how things fell apart at the end, but I still feel it was a risk worth taking.

It sounds like the Cavs are mulling as we speak which direction they want to go.... make a playoff push or look to the draft once again. We'll probably be able to decipher their direction the rest of the season based on how they handle this Bynum thing. If they make a move -- any move -- to improve the roster, expect them to be one of the most active teams at the trade deadline.

If they waive Bynum, that would tell me we're going for another high draft pick.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 08:32 PM
I was actually surprised at how much he had played in the first 25 games. He was to the point where he was playing 23-28 minutes consistently, night in and night out. A lot of people didn't even think he'd step back on the floor until midway through the season.

So, in that respect, the Bynum experiment was a nice surprise. Obviously, that all goes out the window with how things fell apart at the end, but I still feel it was a risk worth taking.

It sounds like the Cavs are mulling as we speak which direction they want to go.... make a playoff push or look to the draft once again. We'll probably be able to decipher their direction the rest of the season based on how they handle this Bynum thing. If they make a move -- any move -- to improve the roster, expect them to be one of the most active teams at the trade deadline.

If they waive Bynum, that would tell me we're going for another high draft pick.

The Bynum experiment was an interesting one, however I was looking at his attitude issues and I knew it wasn't long till it started again, the guy just doesn't care about the game enough.

I guess we have to wait and see what happens here, someone said the Kings are a potential third team?? I am assuming Lakers talks are off?

gts
01-07-2014, 02:59 PM

Chance he might not even be on the roster tomorrow

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 5s
The Los Angeles Lakers announced they have waived forward Shawne Williams. Their roster stands at 14