PDA

View Full Version : Wizards' Bradley Beal Wore "23" Because Of LeBron, Not MJ

Illuminati
01-06-2014, 06:01 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/files/2014/01/bealfla0106-236x300.jpg

Bradley Beal always wore the number 23, from AAU ball to preps to his single year of college. He had to switch to No. 3 when he was drafted by the Wizards, since that number's unofficially retired for one Michael Jeffrey Jordan. You'd think Beal would be honored. But no, it turns out, he wore 23 because he idolized LeBron James growing up.

"I never watched Michael Jordan growing up," said Beal, in what has to be a sick practical joke on those of us, who, you know, watched Michael Jordan. I'm having trouble processing this. 23 is Jordan's number, right? The greatest basketball player who ever lived?

"I grew up, '23' was LeBron," Beal continued. OK, let's math this. LeBron's 29, my age(!), and has been in the NBA since 2003. Beal is 20, so LeBron broke in when he was 10, the summer after Jordan retired for good. Damn it, it works. Those were Beal's formative years, and he likely has only the faintest memories of Jordan in a Bulls uniform. Beal is so young. We are all so very old.

LeBron, of course, originally wore 23 as a tribute to Jordan. This is like, as Drew puts it, "some guy post-Jesus saying 'I wear this cross because Ed wore it.'" Where does it end? Maybe Beal becomes a star somewhere, and some kid grows up and gets drafted and picks No. 23 because he always loved Bradley Beal. Time is inexorable and cruel.

Deep breaths. At least Beal has heard of Michael Jordan.

"I always knew about Michael Jordan, but I can't necessarily model myself after him. I always admired LeBron and the way he played all the time when he was in Cleveland."

There are kids out there right now, some of whom will be in the NBA within the decade, who have no idea LeBron ever played for anyone but Miami. Christ.

New GOAT in town. :applause:

source (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/01/06/bradley-beal-wore-23-for-lebron-james/)

Black and White
01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Lol at the new GOAT,

23 will always be Jordan

/Thread

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Lol at the new GOAT, 23 will always be Jordan
Pretty sure plenty of players wore 23 before Michael Jordan did.

moe94
01-06-2014, 06:05 PM

:rolleyes:

MP.Trey
01-06-2014, 06:05 PM
He wore 23 in honor of the guy who said no one should wear number 23 in honor of Jordan. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pffU5Qbpg

P.S. How funny/ironic is it that the interview is in Miami, where #23 is retired under Jordan's name, and where LeBron jumped ship the upcoming offseason.

Nash
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Beal was like 5 when MJ retired in 98, of course he grew up idolizing Lebron. He'd be a hypocrite if he said otherwise.

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:12 PM
He wore 23 in honor of the guy who said no one should wear number 23 in honor of Jordan. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-pffU5Qbpg

P.S. How funny/ironic is it that the interview is in Miami, where #23 is retired under Jordan's name, and where LeBron jumped ship the upcoming offseason.
I doubt 23 is actually retired. I think they just hang his jersey like they do with Dan Marino. Mike Miller wore Marino's number in Miami, so my guess is these numbers are not retired.

moe94
01-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Mike Miller wore Marino's number in Miami, so my guess is these numbers are not retired.

I think that might have to do with them playing entirely different sports...

You straight up cannot wear 23 in Miami.

SamuraiSWISH
01-06-2014, 06:22 PM
Except LeBron wore 23 to honor whom he considers the greatest of all time. He wore Jordans number because that was his favorite player.

Kobe copied MJ's game, and mannerisms because he's the greatest ever.

Jordan influenced, inspired, molded, and / or was the exact blue print for the three best players in the game since 2006: LeBron, Kobe, and Wade.

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:25 PM
I think that might have to do with them playing entirely different sports...

You straight up cannot wear 23 in Miami.
Sure you can. If LeBron wanted to wear 23 you think there would be a problem? Really?

Black and White
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Sure you can. If LeBron wanted to wear 23 you think there would be a problem? Really?

I think there would be, there is a reason his jersey is hanging there.

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Except LeBron wore 23 to honor whom he considers the greatest of all time. He wore Jordans number because that was his favorite player.

Kobe copied MJ's game, and mannerisms because he's the greatest ever.

Jordan influenced, inspired, molded, and / or was the exact blue print for the three best players in the game since 2006: LeBron, Kobe, and Wade.
LeBron's game isn't remotely similar to Jordan's. Just because he liked Jordan doesn't mean he modelled his game after him.

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:28 PM
I think there would be, there is a reason his jersey is hanging there.
So is Marino's yet Mike Miller had no problem wearing it.

Black and White
01-06-2014, 06:28 PM
So is Marino's yet Mike Miller had no problem wearing it.

As a poster above said, different sports

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
As a poster above said, different sports
And?

New World Order

For LeBron James or any Miami Heat player to wear #23, the organization would have to first unretire the number #23. As it stands, it cannot be worn.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/news/2003/04/11/heat_jordan_ap/

moe94

Yes? If it's as easy as you're making it seem, why didn't he do it? You actually buy that BS excuse he used as to why he changed his number? Out of respect? Really? If he went to any other team, he would have kept his number, I'd like to think.

I mean, he was absolutely fine with wearing it all throughout his Cleveland days and his highschool days and then, conveniently, he finds issue when he goes to a team where the number is retired?

if he really demanded to wear that number, though, they'd probably give in

SamuraiSWISH
01-06-2014, 06:37 PM
LeBron's game isn't remotely similar to Jordan's. Just because he liked Jordan doesn't mean he modelled his game after him.
Reading comprehension, I said Kobe copied his game, but he inspired LeBron. He's said this himself at an interview before the start of the season. Don't be salty. He wore 23 the first 7 years of his career for a reason. PG wears 24 because of Kobe's inspiration but their games aren't similar.

NumberSix
01-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Reading comprehension, I said Kobe copied his game, but he inspired LeBron. He's said this himself at an interview before the start of the season. Don't be salty. He wore 23 the first 7 years of his career for a reason. PG wears 24 because of Kobe's inspiration but their games aren't similar.
My mistake. I thought you said LeBron's game is modelled after Jordan's. My bad.

knicksman
01-06-2014, 08:45 PM

bro youre idol is a beta who prefers following others numbers instead of creating his own

Lebron23
01-06-2014, 08:48 PM
bro youre idol is a beta who prefers following others numbers instead of creating his own

You are a beta poster while numbersix is an alpha male. You and your team sucks.

Lack of effort, and lack of heart. Lebron > Knicks.

sportjames23
01-06-2014, 09:22 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/files/2014/01/bealfla0106-236x300.jpg

New GOAT in town. :applause:

source (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/wp/2014/01/06/bradley-beal-wore-23-for-lebron-james/)

He still wore it because of MJ. Lebron wore it because of MJ, so in effect, Beal wore it because of MJ.

Leftimage
01-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Props to him for admitting it. It's so fashionable after all not to like Lebron.