PDA

View Full Version : "Kobe is more skilled than Jordan"

moe94
01-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Why do people say this? When you ask them "how?" They say he has more range and better handles. What's your take? :confusedshrug:

Was Kobe more skilled than Jordan and Jordan's athletic edge was the difference maker or is that some BS?

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
01-07-2014, 12:25 AM
Ppl have to realize that players like MJ, Shaq and even Lebron were faaaaaaaaaar more athletic than Kobe and yet Kobe is still seen on their level career wise (aside from MJ). He is more skilled than MJ but he didnt have MJs physical advantages. The biggest one IMO is motor. MJ could go so hard on both ends but Kobe had to extrapolate his energy more for offense b/c he didnt have that same motor that MJ had.

bdreason
01-07-2014, 12:25 AM
MJ was a better athlete and had a higher bball IQ. I think their basic footwork, dribbling and shooting skills are very comparable though.

IncarceratedBob
01-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Jordan Was A More Physically Talented Player But Skill Wise I Think Kobe And Jordan Are As Close As Possible. Kobe Is As Good As He Could Have Been, He Put In As Much Work As He Possibly Could. You Gotta Respect That. Jordan Is Better Than Kobe Because He Could Simply Jump Higher, Run Faster, Etc.

TheMilkyBarKid
01-07-2014, 12:38 AM
Jordan may have had a physical advantage over kobe, but lets not act like mj didnt damn near kill himself in the gym.

razzredazzre
01-07-2014, 12:39 AM
Ppl have to realize that players like MJ, Shaq and even Lebron were faaaaaaaaaar more athletic than Kobe and yet Kobe is still seen on their level career wise (aside from MJ). He is more skilled than MJ but he didnt have MJs physical advantages. The biggest one IMO is motor. MJ could go so hard on both ends but Kobe had to extrapolate his energy more for offense b/c he didnt have that same motor that MJ had.

/thread

Micku
01-07-2014, 12:57 AM
Jordan may have had a physical advantage over kobe, but lets not act like mj didnt damn near kill himself in the gym.

I think he said in documentary that he didn't work out in the gym a lot in the beginning of his career and during his 1st peat. He didn't watch what he ate either. He ate a bunch of junk food in the beginning of his career.

During his 2nd peat he condition himself better with his workouts and nutrition.

I don't know if young Kobe did the same thing or not.

Anyway, IMO Kobe didn't really do a lot of things better than Jordan in terms of skills from what I saw. Probably just ball handling and long range. The rest are probably just equal or Jordan is better, mostly due to his athleticism and better bball IQ.

One of the things Jordan is better at that doesn't rely on his athleticism is off the ball movement. Jordan was better. He was a better catch and shot player too, which contributed to his off the ball movement. Kobe wasn't that type of player. He liked to dribble more often to get in his rhythm breaking the offense sometimes while Jordan got in rhythm of the team better keeping the offense flowing. I think Kobe have the ability to do that, but he never was consistent enough. He does it in stretches. Jordan made that apart of his game. But Jordan did break the offense too, but he didn't often as Kobe did.

There are other small things. But as I said, from what I seen of them, they seem to be either equal or Jordan is better usually in terms of skills.

G-Funk
01-07-2014, 01:05 AM
Kobe seems to have shown a broader skill set than Jordan did but I think that's also hurt him in his efficiency, Kobe seems to wanna show us he can do it all. Jordan didn't really yearn for that.

VIntageNOvel
01-07-2014, 01:08 AM
kobe has better footwork,

jordan is kobe with lebron body

Brokenbeat
01-07-2014, 01:13 AM

That about covers it.

AintNoSunshine
01-07-2014, 01:14 AM

Sorry but he wouldn't be had he not been lucky enough to be peak Shaq's second banana. He's more skilled than Shaq because he's a guard, but he's not more skilled than Lebron, he has nothing on him aside from FT shooting.

funnystuff
01-07-2014, 01:25 AM
A poster above me actually thought this post was intelligent. :wtf:

moe94
01-07-2014, 01:31 AM
A poster above me actually thought this post was intelligent. :wtf:
Not just one, but a couple.

buddha
01-07-2014, 01:36 AM
kobe has the best feet game i've ever seen.

moe94
01-07-2014, 01:38 AM
His feet game is on point, yes.

TheMilkyBarKid
01-07-2014, 01:40 AM
I think he said in documentary that he didn't work out in the gym a lot in the beginning of his career and during his 1st peat. He didn't watch what he ate either. He ate a bunch of junk food in the beginning of his career.

During his 2nd peat he condition himself better with his workouts and nutrition.

I don't know if young Kobe did the same thing or not.

Anyway, IMO Kobe didn't really do a lot of things better than Jordan in terms of skills from what I saw. Probably just ball handling and long range. The rest are probably just equal or Jordan is better, mostly due to his athleticism and better bball IQ.

One of the things Jordan is better at that doesn't rely on his athleticism is off the ball movement. Jordan was better. He was a better catch and shot player too, which contributed to his off the ball movement. Kobe wasn't that type of player. He liked to dribble more often to get in his rhythm breaking the offense sometimes while Jordan got in rhythm of the team better keeping the offense flowing. I think Kobe have the ability to do that, but he never was consistent enough. He does it in stretches. Jordan made that apart of his game. But Jordan did break the offense too, but he didn't often as Kobe did.

There are other small things. But as I said, from what I seen of them, they seem to be either equal or Jordan is better usually in terms of skills.
I know for sure that MJ got heavily into weights when he still couldn't get past the pistons. He was looking to add on some muscle so he could better deal with their physicality. I believe that is when he began working with Tim Grover.
So that would've been late 80's/turn of the decade.
I don't like the idea that some posters are trying to push, which is the only difference between MJ and Kobe is that MJ was a more physically impressive specimen, who had it all handed to him. Also the notion that Kobe is a harder worker than MJ.
Both are hard workers, but Kobe was a high school phenom, MJ didn't get picked for his team in high school. Whenever people compare their drive/will to win I can see a comparison to an extent, just Kobe's not to the same degree as MJ.
Everytime I watched (and have rewatched) classic Jordan moments I can see that 'let me show you how good I am' attitude oozing out of him.

razzredazzre
01-07-2014, 01:42 AM
Sorry but he wouldn't be had he not been lucky enough to be peak Shaq's second banana. He's more skilled than Shaq because he's a guard, but he's not more skilled than Lebron, he has nothing on him aside from FT shooting.

****, another post nitpicking shit about LeBron.

Kobe vs. LeBron

Footwork >
Perimeter Shooting >
Breaking Down the Defense >
Handles >
Post Moves >

I mean many LeBron fans admit this is true and if those are not called "individual basketball skills", I don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, LeBron can score as much as Kobe with a more efficient rate b/c he bullies his way to the basket with above avg. offense skill but not at Kobe's level.

But he does have better vision and passing ability so he tends to not force whereas Kobe does too much sometimes. And while LeBron becomes too passive sometimes.

SamuraiSWISH
01-07-2014, 01:44 AM
MJ was a better athlete and had a higher bball IQ. I think their basic footwork, dribbling and shooting skills are very comparable though.
Pretty much. In essence Kobe is a carbon copy of Jordan's skill set. He has more willingness to launch the long ball.

Anyone claiming Kobe is more skilled has no clue what they're talking about. Even footwork, Kobe's entire footwork / post game is predicated on Jordan's originality.

Jordan definitely had superior off the ball, as well as catch and shoot skills. MJ had the superior IQ, athletic ability, and even more homicidal level of competitiveness.

VIntageNOvel
01-07-2014, 01:46 AM
its because jordan didnt need much skill to get pass his opponent,
he wass too quick, too strong + better decision maker

SamuraiSWISH
01-07-2014, 02:03 AM
But he does have better vision and passing ability so he tends to not force whereas Kobe does too much sometimes. And while LeBron becomes too passive sometimes.
That's why MJ's the perfect player. Kobe is prone to self indulgent, hero ball, selfish stretches. MJ honestly wasn't like that, he made three right play ... Including passing.

LeBron because he doesn't have the elite alpha, skillful scoring package like MJ and Kobe or even the confidence so he can shy away from the moment of taking over by becoming too passive.

LeBron has the physical tools to get to the rack and finish like Jordan. They were blessed with the god given gifts.

MJ is the best of both worlds between Kobe and LeBron. Both in terms of mentality, and skills / physical abilities.

magnax1
01-07-2014, 02:10 AM
Kobe is a better shooter post player better footwork etc. Not neqrly as effective because he q fraction of the athlete. Look at how defenses play kobes jumpshot and Jordans qnd youll quickly see the difference.

SamuraiSWISH
01-07-2014, 02:21 AM
Kobe is a better post player better footwork etc.
:facepalm

Defenses put smaller guys on Jordan to negate his superior quickness, ability to get to the rim and do more efficient destruction destroying a defense from the inside out. I wouldn't say Kobe is a better mid range shooter. It would be factually inaccurate. To be honest they're even comparable long ball shooters. Kobe just shoots it more regularly. And stupidly sometimes further out.

Kobe is on Jordan's level skill wise, but the mentality, intelligence, heart, will power, and athletic ability is what puts Jordan on another level than Kobe.

DonDadda59
01-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Kobe is a better post player...

On what f*cking planet? :oldlol:

Even Bean's like "Da Fuq is dis dude talking about?" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLVfougACiQ) :kobe:

Round Mound
01-07-2014, 03:33 AM
Also....Kobe Looks Better at Ballhandling Because of the "No Handchecking Rules" and Has Smaller Hands So His Ballhandling Looks More Appealing But Not Even Close to as Efective Especially 1 on 1 Off The Dribble or Driving to the Basket. Outside or Long Range Pure Shooting Is The Only Thing I Give Kobe Over > Jordan.

PHILA
01-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Kobe is a better post player

Jordan was excellent at catching and going right up with the shot, not allowing the double team to arrive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz0zi0upJg&t=3m29s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Udz0zi0upJg&t=3m29s)

Or fake the defender out of position and finish over 7'7 Manute Bol. :no:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjUpA3UVlA&t=14m7s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmjUpA3UVlA&t=14m7s)

He was particularly excellent at quickly flashing to the post and playing out of the pivot. If the defense denied him the ball, they would swing it around and he would pop out off a screen and get the ball at the top of the key often attacking the vulnerable defense at this point, not allowing his man to catch up.

In this example below, Miami fails to keep the ball out of his hands in the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuVO-yxZNqg&t=3m46s

Another quick flash into the post against New York, but this ends up with Jordan coming off the screen and into a quick isolation at the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqJZ96hOBU&t=2m7s

G-Funk
01-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Kobe is a better shooter post player better footwork etc. Not neqrly as effective because he q fraction of the athlete. Look at how defenses play kobes jumpshot and Jordans qnd youll quickly see the difference.

This

Leftimage
01-07-2014, 06:02 AM
Part of what makes Kobe so exciting is that he is in fact only around 6'5 with shoes, and as others have mentioned he doesn't have quite the athleticism of Jordan - he makes up for it with outstanding resourcefulness, footwork & skill which is very eye-pleasing and exciting to watch.

a 6'5 guy scoring 81 points in NBA game is just mind-blowing to me. The implication here is that very few of those points were ''gimmies''.

Probably more skilled than Jordan. Not necessarily as reliable though

Breezy
01-07-2014, 06:25 AM
I see the Long range shooting but I honestly don't get the footwork and ball handling advantage some people think kobe has. At best I see it as a push.

Am I crazy?!?!?!

Rolando
01-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Quickness. Kobe can do what Jordan did, just not as lightening quick.

That comment about Jordan's "motor" is right on too. Jordan usually played long minutes and was crushing it on both ends of the floor.

AintNoSunshine
01-07-2014, 07:55 AM
****, another post nitpicking shit about LeBron.

Kobe vs. LeBron

Footwork >
Perimeter Shooting >
Breaking Down the Defense >
Handles >
Post Moves >

I mean many LeBron fans admit this is true and if those are not called "individual basketball skills", I don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, LeBron can score as much as Kobe with a more efficient rate b/c he bullies his way to the basket with above avg. offense skill but not at Kobe's level.

As always, Kobe stans pulling stuff out of their azz. These are blatantly false:facepalm

How does Kobe has better handle than Lebron?? Who's basically a pg skill wise.

And how does shooting fadeaway 3's break down defense?

etc.etc.

Element
01-07-2014, 08:46 AM
Pretty much. In essence Kobe is a carbon copy of Jordan's skill set. He has more willingness to launch the long ball.

Anyone claiming Kobe is more skilled has no clue what they're talking about. Even footwork, Kobe's entire footwork / post game is predicated on Jordan's originality.

Jordan definitely had superior off the ball, as well as catch and shoot skills. MJ had the superior IQ, athletic ability, and even more homicidal level of competitiveness.

Yeah right. Show me some proof. Kobe's always had great footwork. The way they play in the post is very different. Yeah, they both spam the turnaround shot the most, but apart from that? MJ was more of a quick hitting post-up player. He caught the ball and immediately made his move. He used a pump-fake up and under move quite often (Kobe very rarely does this), and he also did spins way more often than Kobe does. Kobe when he posts up almost always has a live dribble going for about 3+ seconds and he does a lot more pivots and running hooks than MJ ever did.

And that second part about competitiveness is just plain made up. Both players, along with guys like Duncan and Bird etc have GOAT level competitiveness. You can't really say "this dude was more competitive".

Micku
01-07-2014, 08:49 AM
I know for sure that MJ got heavily into weights when he still couldn't get past the pistons. He was looking to add on some muscle so he could better deal with their physicality. I believe that is when he began working with Tim Grover.
So that would've been late 80's/turn of the decade.

Yeah, I remember something being said about that as well. I would have to find the video where Jordan said that he didn't condition himself as good during his 1st three peat compared to his 2nd one tho.

I see the Long range shooting but I honestly don't get the footwork and ball handling advantage some people think kobe has. At best I see it as a push.

Am I crazy?!?!?!

Kobe was more fancier and like A.I, he brought street ball handling more into the NBA. Jordan was more efficient and quicker to the point. He could also cross you up tho.

Footwork is a different story. Kobe could do all the things Jordan could do, but Jordan was quicker, which probably gives him the edge imo.

Look at how quick Jordan made his move that throws the defense off guard, especially on the shimmy fadeaways:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAUtrCCKJuo

Look at Kobe footwork while similar, just not as quick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpuswrs-Svg

Both know where to place their pivot foot to fake out their opponents. Jordan was quicker. Not only with his footwork, but quicker in attacking and making his move. Jordan had a better up and under move due to his quickness imo. Kobe takes his time. Kobe could be more creative in his approach.

But you can find more videos that show more examples of the two footwork.

OldSchoolBBall
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Kobe is not "more skilled" than Jordan at all. The ONLY area where he comes close is footwork, and isolation handles, where he has the edge on Jordan (not isolation scoring, though, because there's more to that than just handles).

Jordan absolutely SHITS on Kobe as an off the ball player, and he knew how to use defenders' momentum, find gaps in the defense, and use his teammates' positions in ways that Kobe has never demonstrated. He was a brilliant offensive ball player on a level beyond Kobe. He was also the better post player (lol @ anyone thinking Kobe's a better post player :oldlol:) , rebounder (by a good margin), passer/playmaker, and defender (especially team/help/off ball defense, where he DESTROYS Kobe - he had the best understanding of defensive spacing ever - I didn't say that, Chuck Daly did).

NumberSix
01-07-2014, 12:30 PM
I would agree. Kobe's game has more finesse and Jordan's has more athleticism.

scm5
01-07-2014, 12:42 PM
I would say they are equals in terms of skill with Jordan being overall better because of his athletic advantage.

Kobe probably had better footwork than MJ as well as more moves to his arsenal, but the way MJ finished was an artform and a skill you can't really teach.

Mr Exlax
01-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Even as a Kobe hater I've always said this. I watched both of them play. Kobe copied MJ's game, but he also got to see which things to work on and he was able to pull from other greats playing at the same time as MJ.

DaHeezy
01-07-2014, 01:11 PM

First off you claimed Julius Erving was not very skilled outside of dunking. Second you claim Jordan was a great 3 point shooter based on a miniscule sample size.
Third you are so far up Jordan hiney you'd probably say Shaq learned to dominate in the paint watching Jordan.

You are the last person to judge someones "skill set" so STFU

scm5
01-07-2014, 01:14 PM
First off you claimed Julius Erving was not very skilled outside of dunking. Second you claim Jordan was a great 3 point shooter based on a miniscule sample size.
Third you are so far up Jordan hiney you'd probably say Shaq learned to dominate in the paint watching Jordan.

You are the last person to judge someones "skill set" so STFU

While I don't agree with what he said either, he's not too far off. Dr. J didn't really have a consistent shot because he thought he never had the need to develop one. He drove to the basket so easily.

STATUTORY
01-07-2014, 01:27 PM

we gonna act like Jordan didn't learn from his predecessors?

that's what progress is, a process of duplicating and innovating. Kobe's game is not identical to jordans, it's tailored to his lesser athleticism and utilizes ballhandling and 3 ball far more. Also had to take the playmaking duty far more than jordan had to under pHil

Kobe is not "more skilled" than Jordan at all. The ONLY area where he comes close is footwork, and isolation handles, where he has the edge on Jordan (not isolation scoring, though, because there's more to that than just handles).

Jordan absolutely SHITS on Kobe as an off the ball player, and he knew how to use defenders' momentum, find gaps in the defense, and use his teammates' positions in ways that Kobe has never demonstrated. He was a brilliant offensive ball player on a level beyond Kobe. He was also the better post player (lol @ anyone thinking Kobe's a better post player :oldlol:) , rebounder (by a good margin), passer/playmaker, and defender (especially team/help/off ball defense, where he DESTROYS Kobe - he had the best understanding of defensive spacing ever - I didn't say that, Chuck Daly did).

the myth of Jordan's better off ball movement is borne out of the absolute absence of team and systematic defense in the 80s and early 90s

defense in those days were predicated on great personnel, not schemes or zone

Element
01-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Lol at Jordan stans itt. I mean, I'm one myself but you guys are taking it to the extreme.

Here's what Kobe's more skilled at:

- Isolation handles. Easily. He played in the And-1 era, it comes by default.
- Shot-making. Any point in denying this?
- Long-rage shooting. Higher 3P% with longer line, higher volume, worse shot selection. Lol.

Arguable:

- Footwork. Both players had GOAT level footwork.
- Post-up game. We do NOT know Jordan's post-up numbers. What we do know are Kobe's post up numbers. Chew on this: Via Synergy, he has been top 3 in post-up points per shot every year since he started implementing it (08). He has consistently shot around high 50's-60 FG% from the post.

What makes MJ's post game more "famous" is the fact that in his era, clearing a side was no biggie. As easy as making a layup in practice if you had a team like the Bulls. Dude could ISO all day. In Kobe's era however...lol. GL trying to get MJ that many post ups in today's era lol.

OldSchoolBBall
01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
the myth of Jordan's better off ball movement is borne out of the absolute absence of team and systematic defense in the 80s and early 90s

defense in those days were predicated on great personnel, not schemes or zone

Nonsense. Jordan was shitting on Kobe as an off the ball player in 2003 also at 40 years old. The so-called "greatest defensive era ever."

Kobe's off-ball game was nowhere near as good as Jordan's prior to 2007 anyway (not sure when you'd say that the "modern era" started). So a 26-28 year old Kobe didn't display anywhere near the off ball game that a 26-28 year old MJ did, or even that a 40 year old MJ did a few years prior. Give me a break. :oldlol:

Solefade
01-07-2014, 01:56 PM
Jordan is 100x more clutch tho

f0und
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Lol at Jordan stans itt. I mean, I'm one myself but you guys are taking it to the extreme.

Here's what Kobe's more skilled at:

- Isolation handles. Easily. He played in the And-1 era, it comes by default.
- Shot-making. Any point in denying this?
- Long-rage shooting. Higher 3P% with longer line, higher volume, worse shot selection. Lol.

Arguable:

- Footwork. Both players had GOAT level footwork.
- Post-up game. We do NOT know Jordan's post-up numbers. What we do know are Kobe's post up numbers. Chew on this: Via Synergy, he has been top 3 in post-up points per shot every year since he started implementing it (08). He has consistently shot around high 50's-60 FG% from the post.

What makes MJ's post game more "famous" is the fact that in his era, clearing a side was no biggie. As easy as making a layup in practice if you had a team like the Bulls. Dude could ISO all day. In Kobe's era however...lol. GL trying to get MJ that many post ups in today's era lol.

yes

kobe is only better at shot taking but not shot making. what you're seeing is just an illusion. kobe does his fancy dribbles, jukes and jives, creates space, puts up a good looking shot, but bricks. up until that point you can say that kobe is better but after that, the most important part which is actually putting the ball in the basket, jordan takes the cake.

but thats just in the midrange game. when it comes to making shots around the basket, its jordan no contest, taking and making. the hangtime, the leaners, the mid air improv, the creativity in avoiding ourstretched arms. kobe's got nothing on that.

Element
01-07-2014, 02:38 PM
yes

kobe is only better at shot taking but not shot making. what you're seeing is just an illusion. kobe does his fancy dribbles, jukes and jives, creates space, puts up a good looking shot, but bricks. up until that point you can say that kobe is better but after that, the most important part which is actually putting the ball in the basket, jordan takes the cake.

but thats just in the midrange game. when it comes to making shots around the basket, its jordan no contest, taking and making. the hangtime, the leaners, the mid air improv, the creativity in avoiding ourstretched arms. kobe's got nothing on that.

Shot-making is considered the art of making tough shots. No one's better at that than Kobe. MJ had more seperation on his fadeaways and jump shots due to his superior athleticisim.

This is what I'm talking about:

http://youtu.be/SpWAyV-S7P0?t=4m57s
http://youtu.be/CwWQTGJPzzY?t=3m16s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgwdlK06Evw

I agree that MJ is clearly the better finisher, though. People went to his games to watch him pull off circus layups, not spinning fadeaways over a double team.

kentatm
01-07-2014, 04:35 PM
http://cdn29.elitedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/PEJ6H3q.gif

eliteballer
01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
He is more skilled. Jordan never did these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tXvMriU0Y&t=0m21s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tXvMriU0Y&t=4m53s

Phil said in his book Kobe is more physically flexible, so that probably has some to do with it.

and by virtue of his superior dribbling and range hes much more dynamic shooting off the dribble.

OldSchoolBBall
01-07-2014, 05:14 PM
He is more skilled. Jordan never did these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-tXvMriU0Y&t=0m21s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo8XY-bNcPs#t=37m09s

Your second play, while nice, isn't anything great. Jordan had literally dozens of layups better than that one.

And even if your premise was correct, "flexibility" does not equal skill.

eliteballer
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
That pass you posted isn't remotely comparable to the Kobe one. Kobe jumps in the air and doesn't turn his body...

and no, Jordan doesn't have dozens of layups better than that. Kobe jumps from one side of the rim to the other while turning his whole body AND keeping shooting form while dodging a defender in the air.

moe94
01-07-2014, 05:32 PM
and no, Jordan doesn't have dozens of layups better than that. Kobe jumps from one side of the rim to the other while turning his whole body AND keeping shooting form while dodging a defender in the air.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/michael-jordan-best-lay-up.gif

You're acting as if it's better than this.

Black and White
01-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Kobe is my favourite player, but the only thing he is better than Jordan at is shooting, Kobe has more range, footwork is another factor that is comparable, but Jordan had great post play and footwork too, the rest, Jordan has more skill.

SamuraiSWISH
01-07-2014, 07:22 PM
Kobe is my favourite player, but the only thing he is better than Jordan at is shooting, Kobe has more range, footwork is another factor that is comparable, but Jordan had great post play and footwork too, the rest, Jordan has more skill.
Exactly. Better ISO, "And 1" era handles. Not that MJ wasn't a great, or creative ball handler himself. He had a street style in his day too.

In 2002, and 2003 he even adopted new era dribble mechanics.

Handle, and Kobe's ability to shoot off the dribble are it in terms of being more skillful than Jordan. And possibly the long ball.

He's not more skillful. He doesn't have better footwork. He's comparable. Put in the work in the gym to have similar skills to Jordan. But anyone saying otherwise that he's better is speaking out their ass.

Kobe has a more wiry frame, smaller shoulders. MJ had superior strength, broad shoulders and hands. Also Kobe was athletic, but Jordan is at the pinnacle of the mountain when it comes to athleticism. He was quicker, faster, more durable, higher leaper etc.

tmacattack33
01-07-2014, 07:27 PM
You'd also have to tell us what age MJ and what age Kobe you are talking about here.

1998 MJ had developed different skills than 1988 MJ.

Micku
01-07-2014, 10:35 PM
and by virtue of his superior dribbling and range hes much more dynamic shooting off the dribble.

I can see that! I can see an argument being made about that. I notice you didn't say better or more efficient.

But to counter that, couldn't you argue that Jordan created more space with the least amount of movement than Kobe so there was no need for MJ to do more? Jordan would take something like one or two dribbles to create enough space for him to take a shot. Kobe size up players and take several dribbles before creating enough space.

While both players could adapt well to the defense, wouldn't the most skillful player off the dribble be the one that use the least amount of movement to create the space and hit the shot with a higher %? But you can argue it was due to the quickness Jordan had that Kobe lacked.

D.J.
01-07-2014, 10:39 PM
In terms of actual basketball skills, they're on par with one another. Maybe with Kobe at a minimal advantage. But MJ is a much more superior athlete and his ball IQ is light years ahead. Kobe lasted as long as he did because of his fundamentals. Not that he's not a great athlete without a great ball IQ, but athleticism and ball IQ are two aspects that IMO only two people even match Jordan(Magic and Bird).