PDA

View Full Version : Myth or Reality? Why most pg's this era is prone to injury ?

veilside23
01-07-2014, 03:38 AM
Guys who are great in game dunkers or to much slashing ability are more prone to injury than guys who are pure pg's pass/shoot type of player.

I am just thinking on why great pg's like rose, westbrook, williams are more prone to injury as compared to PG's like payton, stockton, casell, mark jackson, harper.

Sure they are nasty and its a delight to see these dudes dunk on people. but is it safe to say they are more prone to injury? To this modern era jameer nelson was able to have a career without getting injured year after year. Steve nash has also played alot of basketball and the list goes on ...

Maybe its safe to say that PG's should rely more on shooting rather than dunking on people because while its good to see maybe it would be ok for pg's to just stick to being true pg. not saying this is bad but i am just thinking why do guys like Nash and Kidd has played the game more as compared to PG's this year. Sure nate robinson is a great dunker but he doesnt dunk the ball often as to like westbrook and rose.

I hope you get my point guys. Thanks

Myth
01-07-2014, 04:54 AM
I don't think it is that they dunk, it is that they are explosive athletes. It puts more pressure on the legs to be able to push off so hard, and if you also use your explosiveness to get high, you also have more pressure landing. That extra stress on the joints and muscles can lead to more injuries. Just my hypothesis. I'm not sure how Reality feels about this though.

Scal
01-07-2014, 05:01 AM
Because of the more athletically gifted point guards these days, yes I do believe that it exposes them more to injury. Just look at a guy like Andre Miller? Has the dude ever been injured (not seriously anyway) and he plays a far more old-school, below-the-rim type of game. Well that, and the fact he is built like a tank.

coin24
01-07-2014, 05:05 AM
Guys who are great in game dunkers or to much slashing ability are more prone to injury than guys who are pure pg's pass/shoot type of player.

I am just thinking on why great pg's like rose, westbrook, williams are more prone to injury as compared to PG's like payton, stockton, casell, mark jackson, harper.

Sure they are nasty and its a delight to see these dudes dunk on people. but is it safe to say they are more prone to injury? To this modern era jameer nelson was able to have a career without getting injured year after year. Steve nash has also played alot of basketball and the list goes on ...

Maybe its safe to say that PG's should rely more on shooting rather than dunking on people because while its good to see maybe it would be ok for pg's to just stick to being true pg. not saying this is bad but i am just thinking why do guys like Nash and Kidd has played the game more as compared to PG's this year. Sure nate robinson is a great dunker but he doesnt dunk the ball often as to like westbrook and rose.

I hope you get my point guys. Thanks

Nate dunked on us 3 times in 2 mins:lol :facepalm

But yeah it's hard to argue against this logic, those guys are putting way more stress on there bodies.. Especially over a long season, and the ball is in there hands the majority of the time..

miggyme1
01-07-2014, 05:05 AM
yea all that torque is hard on the body in a 82 game season plus the playoffs if one makes it that far!

I don't think people realize how much force u have to have to life your whole body in the air to dunk or to block a shot or rebound. cutting also puts a lot of torque on the knees.....I mean ur going one way then in id say maybe a tenth of a sec ull see a guy like drose cut back the other way.

Crafty
01-07-2014, 08:39 AM
PG now are more explosive than before (Rose, Goatbrook, Wall, Kyrie).

Lebron23
01-07-2014, 08:48 AM
They need to wear some Orthotics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QKSK_d21_Q

moe94
01-07-2014, 08:49 AM
PG now are more explosive than before (Rose, Goatbrook, Wall, Kyrie).

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/1191763/laughing-puppets-o.gif

Alan
01-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but Westbrook before getting his first knee injury (which was just an unfortunate contact) had never missed a game in his NBA and college career? That kind of disputes the argument because PG don't get any more athletic and reckless than Westbrook.

OhNoTimNoSho
01-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Why this era?

What about Kevin Johnson, Tim hardaway, Penny Hardaway, isiah thomas, Damon Stoudamire?

hateraid
01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Why this era?

What about Kevin Johnson, Tim hardaway, Penny Hardaway, isiah thomas, Damon Stoudamire?

Because they played a similar game to today's PG's. The others had lengthier careers
I think the exception to the rule is AI

Element
01-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Because they played a similar game to today's PG's. The others had lengthier careers
I think the exception to the rule is AI

AI had about a billion nagging injuries though. He just played through all of them :bowdown:

dirkdiggler41
01-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Westbrook has missed 16 games before the start of this seaon...

STATUTORY
01-07-2014, 02:18 PM
mostly athletically gifted era of basketball and in particular at the point guard positions

i don't think guys like cousy could even get 20inches off the ground

imdaman99
01-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Westbrook is not injury prone. He had some dude take out his knee on purpose.

He played like a rabid wolverine before he got hurt and never missed a game. It's unfortunate, but even when he's back he goes back to beasting because he does not know how to give less than 100%

inclinerator
01-07-2014, 03:04 PM
no wonder lebron stopped dunking on centers

veilside23
01-07-2014, 03:58 PM
somehow i think AI is really the only exception to the rule. So in the future would you be pissed if potential great PG's would just end their career because they are more explosive? Or you would want a OG just like a Jason Kidd type or hell even a sam casell type... Pg's who can actually post up and shoot and dish as well as have a long career.

Pointguard
01-07-2014, 04:20 PM
I don't think it is that they dunk, it is that they are explosive athletes. It puts more pressure on the legs to be able to push off so hard, and if you also use your explosiveness to get high, you also have more pressure landing. That extra stress on the joints and muscles can lead to more injuries. Just my hypothesis. I'm not sure how Reality feels about this though.
This. Those guys are incredibly explosive and just subject to more wear and tear.

I also think the finishing used on garden floors is stickier - if you go to a game you hear more foot action for sure. Could be that sneakers now have too much grip too (a small slide is good). I think this might also be the reason why few guys have post games as well. The hard pivot, which people use to twist and turn off was used way more in the '80 and '90s than now.

Big durable guys like DH and Lebron dabbled with the hard pivot in the post with success and both abandoned it after a brief period, perhaps sensing the wear and tear. Derrick Rose sensed his first injury and put hard spins and dunks on a diet... didn't help. I bet in a few years, the floor finishing or sneaker grip will be looked at.

veilside23
01-11-2014, 01:16 PM
we eric bledsoe and JRue is added to the mix...

I guess this high rising pg's need to learn the game better for them to have longevity is better than highlight material...