PDA

View Full Version : Michael Carter-Williams

AirGauge23
01-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Philly fans, your thoughts on him.

I know it's early, and I gotta admit I'm a stats guy, and his jump out (except his fg%).

Does he have "it"?

Fudge
01-07-2014, 10:26 PM
He's very cute, that's all I know.

Fire Colangelo
01-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Haven't watched many Phily games, but in the games that I have seen it seems like he does a good job defensively on the opposing PG due to his size and length. He should never take 25 shots a game like tonight tho imo.

AirGauge23
01-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Roy.

215Philly
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
Looks like Drake imo

chocolatethunder
01-28-2014, 05:33 PM
I like him and like him way more than Jrue. That being said, he needs to shoot less. A lot less. He's not a good shooter and jacks up too many bad shots. He's just a rookie and the team is bad so I don't care that much. It just concerns me moving forward. He has lead the team in FGA too many times. He's a good passer and I'm happier w him instead of Jrue. I'm optimistic about his future.

flipogb
01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
hate his name, and any other player with a similar one and they aren't doing their popularity or jersey sales a favor by having a name like that.

blood yes
01-28-2014, 06:56 PM
MCW doesnt blow yourmind? He and magic are the only players to average 17/7/5 in their rookie years.

Biggest thing your missing tho

THREE STEALS A GAME. Thats more than cp3 ever averaged.

In fact, MCW leads the league insteals

In terms of pure stats, MCW is up there with Blake Griffin and LeBron James as the best rookies of the decade.

Also, the 76ers are a .500 team with MCW, 1-10 when hes injured

His impact on the floor is rediculous, he was SHUTTING OUT Lillard yesterday, major reason why the 6ers beat the BLAZERS on the ROAD with that shitty ass roster. MCW as a rookie>Kyrie as a rookie. That much is clear. MCW has incredible defensive potential, 24/11/6/4.5 is not out of the question in his prime
Just cause he isnt getting hype doesnt mean hes bad, MCW is one ofthe better rookies ive seen, that includes Tyreke, Kyrie, Drose, and KD.

I posted the bold above, like half a month ago, and most of it still stands. He is arguably the 3rd best rookie since 2000, and his impact on the team is sky high ridiculous. He has a shot at being an allstar this year, which would make him the first player in the east to be an allstar as a rookie since grant hill in 95. I definately have him as an allstar reserve.

Milbuck
01-28-2014, 06:56 PM
He's arguably the 2nd best player in his draft.

outbreak
01-28-2014, 07:12 PM
He's arguably the 2nd best player in his draft.

he's the best currently, in a couple seasons I think others may pass him as I see more potential in other players and don't know if MCW will keep this up, but right now he's looking the best

Smook A.
01-28-2014, 07:14 PM
:biggums: :kobe: :whatever: :milton :yaohappy: :cletus:

GOBB
01-28-2014, 07:15 PM
His jumper is about as inconsistent as his performance. He's hit a bit of a rookie wall. He'll have a good game like last night then a clunker. Still hasn't made anyone respect his jump shot anywhere on the floor. So he sees a lot of opportunities where he is open. Hit and miss. Overall on the season he's not even hitting 30% of his 3's. Nothing broke about his jumper, he just needs to keep up the reps daily. Eventually it'll fall...I hope. Not much of a midrange game. He either takes you to the basket or shoots a 3. Not as much in between game as I'd like.

Offensively, he attacks the rim despite lacking top notch explosiveness. Sometimes when he goes towards the rim leaving his feet? He elevates like a WNBA player. Needs to hit the weight room, and get stronger. He'll be even that much better finishing at the rim and drawing fouls. Speaking of fouls, he has cried :cry: excessively like Evan Turner to the officials. He's still learning how to be a leader, trying to mature/grow into that role. So I hope he does. Not a head case. He doesn't facilitate enough as a PG. He's not a score first PG but he has been doing more of that than I like. He should be setting up guys more, getting them into positions, driving and dishing. He should not be the guy on your team who has taken the most attempts. Love the aggressiveness but he needs to distribute and create plays more. He doesn't take advantage much in the post with his size, but again he's not exactly where he needs to be strength wise. Thats an idea he should work on this summer tho. Because he has times where he uses his size and scores. His passing ability out of the post could open it up even more or he could score. Easier said than done if you havent put in the work downlow so we wait.

Defensively he is great playing the passing lanes, and on ball his size/length gives him an advantage vs some guys. Wall had his way vs MCW using his elite quickness/speed. Also Wall is much stronger than MCW. Now off the ball MCW is bad, he is clueless out there. Often caught out of position, too far in the paint then losing track of his man who knocks down the 3 daily. Pick n roll defense is bad as well. He has no idea what to do.

All in all, very promising young talent with lots of room for improvement and growth. People comparing his stats to former greats is cute but watch film. He's far exceeded my expectations however so I'm not down on him at all. He's the only reason I tune in to see Sixers games...to watch him exclusively.

r0drig0lac
01-28-2014, 07:16 PM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/images/smilies/biggums.png

GOBB
01-28-2014, 07:18 PM
He has a shot at being an allstar this year.

Over who? John Wall? Jeff Teague? Lance Stephenson? Kyle Lowry? Brandon Jennings? A.Afflalo? D.Derozen? Stop.

Black and White
01-28-2014, 07:19 PM

Um.......

coolhandsteve
01-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Does MCW strike anyone else as a Gary Payton type of player? (without the trash talk obviously).
I got him as an All-Star reserve this year, the runaway ROY and to think he's still averaging 17 PPG despite not shooting great, I figure that'll improve, so 25 PPG isn't out of the question.
I very well could be overreacting, but we could see this guy average a triple-double (rounded or clean) if he maxes out his potential. I'm sold on him.

blood yes
01-28-2014, 07:29 PM
Over who? John Wall? Jeff Teague? Lance Stephenson? Kyle Lowry? Brandon Jennings? A.Afflalo? D.Derozen? Stop.
http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/49072-they-could-be-all-stars

This guy seems to agree with me. I would put lowry over stephenson however

Olacinco
01-28-2014, 07:37 PM
Oladipo>> trey burke>> Hardaway Jr >> MCW

Tking714
01-28-2014, 07:40 PM
Rookie of the Year lock

Milbuck
01-28-2014, 07:45 PM
Rookie of the Year lock
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ProfessorMurder
01-28-2014, 08:41 PM
He's going to be very good, all-star good. He just needs to be more efficient.

GOBB
01-28-2014, 09:08 PM
http://www.rappler.com/sports/by-sport/basketball/49072-they-could-be-all-stars

This guy seems to agree with me. I would put lowry over stephenson however

I'll be shocked if he gets voted. While performance should be the only merit for the All Star reserve, coaches will factor in team success as the tiebreaker in which MCW will lose out.

bootsy
01-28-2014, 11:52 PM
Oladipo>> trey burke>> Hardaway Jr >> MCW
:facepalm

Milbuck
01-28-2014, 11:57 PM
Giannis>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Oladipo>> trey burke>> Hardaway Jr >> MCW
This

Lebron23
01-29-2014, 12:03 AM
2014 NBA Rookie of the Year

chocolatethunder
01-29-2014, 12:15 AM
Does MCW strike anyone else as a Gary Payton type of player? (without the trash talk obviously).
I got him as an All-Star reserve this year, the runaway ROY and to think he's still averaging 17 PPG despite not shooting great, I figure that'll improve, so 25 PPG isn't out of the question.
I very well could be overreacting, but we could see this guy average a triple-double (rounded or clean) if he maxes out his potential. I'm sold on him.
No, he's nothing like Payton. Yes you're overreacting, he will never average a triple double, be reasonable. I'm a Philly fan but I'm also a realist. I like him but I don't see the Payton similarities. No Payton couldn't shoot when he came in the league but that's about it. GOBB summed him up nicely. He is extremely inconsistent. He's young so I don't care.

Al Thorton
01-29-2014, 04:24 AM
clear cut RoY to me. Oladipo played the most games but just doesn't have the stats. Burke got a late start and probably has a chance but it's emcee dub's to lose

Kukoc
01-29-2014, 12:58 PM
ROY

hateraid
01-29-2014, 01:11 PM
His jumper is about as inconsistent as his performance. He's hit a bit of a rookie wall. He'll have a good game like last night then a clunker. Still hasn't made anyone respect his jump shot anywhere on the floor. So he sees a lot of opportunities where he is open. Hit and miss. Overall on the season he's not even hitting 30% of his 3's. Nothing broke about his jumper, he just needs to keep up the reps daily. Eventually it'll fall...I hope. Not much of a midrange game. He either takes you to the basket or shoots a 3. Not as much in between game as I'd like.

Offensively, he attacks the rim despite lacking top notch explosiveness. Sometimes when he goes towards the rim leaving his feet? He elevates like a WNBA player. Needs to hit the weight room, and get stronger. He'll be even that much better finishing at the rim and drawing fouls. Speaking of fouls, he has cried :cry: excessively like Evan Turner to the officials. He's still learning how to be a leader, trying to mature/grow into that role. So I hope he does. Not a head case. He doesn't facilitate enough as a PG. He's not a score first PG but he has been doing more of that than I like. He should be setting up guys more, getting them into positions, driving and dishing. He should not be the guy on your team who has taken the most attempts. Love the aggressiveness but he needs to distribute and create plays more. He doesn't take advantage much in the post with his size, but again he's not exactly where he needs to be strength wise. Thats an idea he should work on this summer tho. Because he has times where he uses his size and scores. His passing ability out of the post could open it up even more or he could score. Easier said than done if you havent put in the work downlow so we wait.

Defensively he is great playing the passing lanes, and on ball his size/length gives him an advantage vs some guys. Wall had his way vs MCW using his elite quickness/speed. Also Wall is much stronger than MCW. Now off the ball MCW is bad, he is clueless out there. Often caught out of position, too far in the paint then losing track of his man who knocks down the 3 daily. Pick n roll defense is bad as well. He has no idea what to do.

All in all, very promising young talent with lots of room for improvement and growth. People comparing his stats to former greats is cute but watch film. He's far exceeded my expectations however so I'm not down on him at all. He's the only reason I tune in to see Sixers games...to watch him exclusively.

Doesn't he remind you of Larry Hughes? That's what I thought after a few dozen games. Quickness, lane hawk, very poor shot.....
I like him but I hate how he gets this major love right now. Only a matter of time where he gets thrown under the bus for poor shooting. But I hope he develops with us. Good solid above average role players with Noel once we draft (or sign) a go to scorer.

ImKobe
01-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Needs to improve his shooting, but the kid's a good playmaker and a rebounder, and his defense is okay, but not elite, he's just got a knack for getting a lot of steals. His opponents actually have better per 48 numbers than him.

This draft was so horrible that he'll win the ROY, but he's really not that great. Just getting big minutes on a bad team, realistically he's a back-up PG right now.

Kukoc
01-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Needs to improve his shooting, but the kid's a good playmaker and a rebounder, and his defense is okay, but not elite, he's just got a knack for getting a lot of steals. His opponents actually have better per 48 numbers than him.

This draft was so horrible that he'll win the ROY, but he's really not that great. Just getting big minutes on a bad team, realistically he's a back-up PG right now.

Take it easy, you do know he is a rookie and the 2013 draft class aint gonna be a GOAT.
So give him time. He avg is 17.4 pts, 5.6 reb, 6.7 ast.

chocolatethunder
01-29-2014, 02:00 PM
Doesn't he remind you of Larry Hughes? That's what I thought after a few dozen games. Quickness, lane hawk, very poor shot.....
I like him but I hate how he gets this major love right now. Only a matter of time where he gets thrown under the bus for poor shooting. But I hope he develops with us. Good solid above average role players with Noel once we draft (or sign) a go to scorer.
Hughes? Not at all. Hughes was a poor playmaker to say the least. I don't see Hughes at all. MCW can handle the ball way better and is such a better PG. Hughes played PG his rookie year and was brutal. Hughes was not a bad player but apart from not being able to shoot and getting steals, I don't see the similarities. MCW will be fine and probably ROY and yes he's getting way overhyped. You can tell the posters who watch Sixers games and the ones who don't. The ones who watch the games are all more realistic about where he is and how poor of a shooter he is and how inconsistent he is. The ones who look at the box scores are not getting an accurate idea of the kid. As I've said before, I prefer him over Jrue by a mile but he's young and has a ways to go.

hateraid
01-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Hughes? Not at all. Hughes was a poor playmaker to say the least. I don't see Hughes at all. MCW can handle the ball way better and is such a better PG. Hughes played PG his rookie year and was brutal. Hughes was not a bad player but apart from not being able to shoot and getting steals, I don't see the similarities. MCW will be fine and probably ROY and yes he's getting way overhyped. You can tell the posters who watch Sixers games and the ones who don't. The ones who watch the games are all more realistic about where he is and how poor of a shooter he is and how inconsistent he is. The ones who look at the box scores are not getting an accurate idea of the kid. As I've said before, I prefer him over Jrue by a mile but he's young and has a ways to go.

I'll give you the passing/playmaking, although when he was with us he more played SF. Everything else I see identical down to the physical stature. Their approach to offense, the ball handling ( I think Hughes didn't get enough credit), reading lanes, athleticism, speed....
i guess because I haven't put MCW on a high enough pedestal that I draw this comparison. As a PG I think MCW is superior and will develop as one whereas everywhere Hughes went they wanted more scoring. As with Hughes though I fear that one day MCW will be chastised for his shooting. This draft is definitely key, and the production of Noel to see where we stand in creating a core. personally I would like to see us make a move for Harrison Barnes and draft Embiid or Randle.

MCW
Turner
Barnes/Thad
Embiid/Randle
Noel

Solid future

chocolatethunder
01-29-2014, 04:02 PM
I'll give you the passing/playmaking, although when he was with us he more played SF. Everything else I see identical down to the physical stature. Their approach to offense, the ball handling ( I think Hughes didn't get enough credit), reading lanes, athleticism, speed....
i guess because I haven't put MCW on a high enough pedestal that I draw this comparison. As a PG I think MCW is superior and will develop as one whereas everywhere Hughes went they wanted more scoring. As with Hughes though I fear that one day MCW will be chastised for his shooting. This draft is definitely key, and the production of Noel to see where we stand in creating a core. personally I would like to see us make a move for Harrison Barnes and draft Embiid or Randle.

MCW
Turner
Barnes/Thad
Embiid/Randle
Noel

Solid future
Hughes played one year of PG in Philly but was god awful at it so they abandoned that idea and then he played SG not small forward for half of the next season before he was traded. I'm not putting MCW on any pedestal. He's one of the best of a terrible draft. I think he's a better PG than Jrue but I don't think he's the greatest player on earth. He shoots too damn much and he's jumper is awful. He also is so inconsistent it's not even funny. But he's young and certainly a better player than he was ever projected to be. I have no idea how you could trade for Barnes and keep Thad and Turner. Thad is also playing better as an undersized PF than he has as a SF.

GOBB
01-29-2014, 04:23 PM

Realistically he's a back up PG? :roll: Idiot

D-FENS
01-29-2014, 04:25 PM

Bro, that's the coke talking. It's gonna take awhile to flush out

Audio One
01-29-2014, 07:00 PM

MCW
Turner
Barnes/Thad
Embiid/Randle
Noel

Solid future

Aren't we (unfortunately) trying to trade Evan?

bootsy
01-29-2014, 08:02 PM

The draft being horrible has nothing to do with MCW. He's had a very good year for a rookie and plenty of room for growth. Comparing other ROY guards from the past:
MCW 2013-14 - 17.4ppg 5.6rpg 6.7apg 2.4spg .434FG%

Damon Lillard 2012-13 - 19.0ppg 3.1rpg 6.5apg 0.9spg .429 FG%
Tyreke Evans 2009-10 - 20.1ppg 5.3rpg 5.8apg 1.5spg .458 FG%
Derrick Rose 2008-09 - 16.8ppg 3.9rpg 6.3apg 0.8spg .475 FG%
Brandon Roy 2006-07 - 16.8ppg 4.4rpg 4.0apg 1.2spg .456 FG%
Chris Paul 2005-06 - 16.1ppg 5.1rpg 7.8apg 2.2spg .430 FG%

His numbers stack up very favorably to others at his position. Think before posting some bs like this. Backup point guard? Get the **** outta here.

HoopDreams247
01-29-2014, 08:48 PM
I don't understand the hype. Wasn't Lillard just as good or even better than MCW last year? I read a lot of people taking Lillard's age against him, but MCW is just as old as Lillard was his rookie year.

hateraid
01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Hughes played one year of PG in Philly but was god awful at it so they abandoned that idea and then he played SG not small forward for half of the next season before he was traded.

He played plenty at small forward mostly relieving Lynch in his final year. Even started a couple games at small forward. Aaron McKie was used more as AI's back-up.

have no idea how you could trade for Barnes and keep Thad and Turner. Thad is also playing better as an undersized PF than he has as a SF.

I was hoping Hawes would be the more tradable asset and and possibly packaged up with J-Rich.
I realize it's impossible to keep 1 of Hawes, Thad, and Turner, if not any of them.