PDA

View Full Version : WIC and how the system pushes you to abuse...

niko
01-11-2014, 04:07 PM
I had a really frustrating experience the last few hours. Let me share.

My wife's friend is a single mom. She just started getting WIC checks. If you do not know, WIC checks are for healthy food for young children. Essentially it says $25. Two gallons of milk, 1 gallon of juice, 1 wheat bread, 12 eggs. And you can get that as long as it doesn't exceed $25 and follows the rules (no sugar added to the bread, juice certain kinds, etc.)

So I take her to the supermarket, she has no car, and my wife is sick. So i'll take her! Go pathmark
1) They don't follow the rules. They only let you buy certain products, all store brands, most unappetizing. (Only grapefruit juice from AC brand from concentrate. Only these particular wheat bread.) Which is fine except they don't have a lot of them. So you can't get anything.
2) They don't want to substitute and the NYC rules clearly say you can. They argue with you. They make you feel like shit for using them.

So we went to several other places. Rinse and repeat. Pissing me off. I see a store, a chinese bodega that says "we accept WIC". We go in. Basically, they let her get whatever she wanted if we signed over the check. At that point, I am assuming they charge $25 (instead of the cost) to the city.

So basically if you try to follow the rules as written it's a no go. But stores who are scamming the city, it's easy to get your food. That's a broken system. Completely broken. I'm really missing out on how things get this way....no one realizes this? Or i guess, no one cares.

Ridiculous...

Swaggin916
01-11-2014, 04:15 PM
File a complaint and take action if you want change.

Bandito
01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Really? In PR is not like that at all. They supermarkets here don't try to rob the government blind which is very surprising. But then again they prices for food here are outstanding....maybe that is how they rob you.

knickballer
01-12-2014, 01:09 PM
Be grateful for the things you have ;/

highwhey
01-12-2014, 01:38 PM
I had a really frustrating experience the last few hours. Let me share.

My wife's friend is a single mom. She just started getting WIC checks. If you do not know, WIC checks are for healthy food for young children. Essentially it says $25. Two gallons of milk, 1 gallon of juice, 1 wheat bread, 12 eggs. And you can get that as long as it doesn't exceed $25 and follows the rules (no sugar added to the bread, juice certain kinds, etc.)

So I take her to the supermarket, she has no car, and my wife is sick. So i'll take her! Go pathmark
1) They don't follow the rules. They only let you buy certain products, all store brands, most unappetizing. (Only grapefruit juice from AC brand from concentrate. Only these particular wheat bread.) Which is fine except they don't have a lot of them. So you can't get anything.
2) They don't want to substitute and the NYC rules clearly say you can. They argue with you. They make you feel like shit for using them.

So we went to several other places. Rinse and repeat. Pissing me off. I see a store, a chinese bodega that says "we accept WIC". We go in. Basically, they let her get whatever she wanted if we signed over the check. At that point, I am assuming they charge $25 (instead of the cost) to the city.

So basically if you try to follow the rules as written it's a no go. But stores who are scamming the city, it's easy to get your food. That's a broken system. Completely broken. I'm really missing out on how things get this way....no one realizes this? Or i guess, no one cares.

Ridiculous...
I've seen this done before, there's a carniceria where I always go to buy meat for carne asada and they also accept this, some kids walked in last time and bought a bunch of chicken wings with that.

PHX_Phan
01-12-2014, 01:57 PM
I've seen this done before, there's a carniceria where I always go to buy meat for carne asada and they also accept this, some kids walked in last time and bought a bunch of chicken wings with that.

:lol Was gonna say this same thing. One of my favorite ranch markets is always packed around the beginning of the month because they'll accept food stamps on the low for already cooked foods.

As for the OP, not sure about your area but when I used to take my friend for her WIC stuff there was a store setup for WIC and foodstamps and she could get regular branded stuff there.

Duderonomy
01-12-2014, 02:38 PM
That's nothing compared to how crooked some Arab owned gas stations and party stores are run. Some give .50 on the dollar straight up for food stamps. :biggums: But Niko you're Complaining about buying left over products for free (basically)?

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm really missing out on how things get this way....

Are you?

My wife's friend is a single mom.

niko
01-13-2014, 02:36 PM
Are you?
Hubby up and left one day. I don't think she planned to be a single mom, he moved her here, they had a baby, he was unhappy, he left. Great guy.

Don't think btw i'm complaining she didn't get enough, she actually got more than you should. It's just so dishonest and not only that, they (the big stores) make sure to pound it in your head that you are doing something wrong using the benefits. It's mean spirited.

niko
01-13-2014, 02:37 PM
Niko, is that your wife in your avy?
Nope, but i'll do my best. if there is anything jameer has taught us (besides he's a freak and to try to bone your relatives) is that Harems are where it's at.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Hubby up and left one day. I don't think she planned to be a single mom, he moved her here, they had a baby, he was unhappy, he left. Great guy.

Do you think there should be any consequences when men do that? How do you suppose a society should handle it when people abandon their responsibilities as parents and leave the problem up to society?

I'm only asking because you kind of just glossed over the "single mom" part like it was ho-hum, no big deal, but then you were pretty outraged that the social welfare system isn't able to inspect every corner of New York City for potential instances of fraud. It's tax payer money already that's paying for her kid to eat, while the husband is off somewhere doing whatever and facing no consequences, and it seems that your solution is to take more tax payer money and have even more people in the bureaucracy going out inspecting every bodega for this kind of stuff.

What if we were just more strict against deadbeat dads? Would that be ok or would the ACLU come in and throw a fit?

niko
01-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Do you think there should be any consequences when men do that? How do you suppose a society should handle it when people abandon their responsibilities as parents and leave the problem up to society?

I'm only asking because you kind of just glossed over the "single mom" part like it was ho-hum, no big deal, but then you were pretty outraged that the social welfare system isn't able to inspect every corner of New York City for potential instances of fraud. It's tax payer money already that's paying for her kid to eat, while the husband is off somewhere doing whatever and facing no consequences, and it seems that your solution is to take more tax payer money and have even more people in the bureaucracy going out inspecting every bodega for this kind of stuff.

What if we were just more strict against deadbeat dads? Would that be ok or would the ACLU come in and throw a fit?
Personally I think he should get a baseball bat across the head but that's neither here nor there. I would like to think if NYC is giving out money that they spend time making sure the system works to at least a small degree. Essentially the system doesnt work (seemingly at all) how it's supposed to, instead you either have people ripping the city off (with $6 milk and $5 bread) or refusing to let people who need food for their kids buy said food.

Thorpesaurous
01-13-2014, 03:33 PM
I've also seen this work the other way. I have a friend, my buddy's wife's best friend to be exact, who got knocked up in HS, and proceeded to wreck her own life and that of her daughter for the next decade. She was a total junky, strung out on anything she could get her hands on, and homeless for a stretch.

No excuses, but she didn't come from a good family. The daughter was lucky my buddy's wife is who she is, or I doubt she'dve gotten through even with the serious damage she's had done.

Anyway, the girl wound up growing up, and sobering up in her early thirties, with a lot of help, but in large part because she ran into a guy on the streets, also a junky and father himself. He was a little older, over forty now, probably late thirties at the time. He's actually a pretty skilled guy. And now works as an employment agent for a tech staffing company.

Now this guy is making pretty good money, but the girl has been collecting social service support forever. They've had more kids since then, and now she sells her WIC cuopons. She also gets government healthcare, which she uses to bilk out perscription meds which she also sells. It just aggrevates the hell out of me. And at the same time I'm glad she's gotten better, but both of them are so obviously working the system.

highwhey
01-13-2014, 03:37 PM

Don't think btw i'm complaining she didn't get enough, she actually got more than you should. It's just so dishonest and not only that, they (the big stores) make sure to pound it in your head that you are doing something wrong using the benefits. It's mean spirited.
i think that has to do more with society's view on people receiving some sort of financial assistance from the government. but it is unfortunate, that lady you speak of seems to be going through a lot, she certainly doesn't need the raised eyebrows in her situation.

also, this is why i dislike all government ran programs, take the dmv for example, when you go in there, it is hell. zero customer service, there is absolutely no competition so that bad tempered lady that will be 'helping' you doesn't give a rats ass if you are content or frustrated.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Personally I think he should get a baseball bat across the head but that's neither here nor there.

Why is that neither here nor there? Presumably you're speaking metaphorically, so why is it "neither here nor there" to consider much more severe penalties for people who refuse to be accountable?

The best way to "cure" something is to prevent it. You don't seem the least bit concerned about the prevention of this problem, only the means by which it is treated once it's a problem.

Is this the attitude of most Americans? No wonder your country will go the way of the Titanic. Grand and spectacular until the hubris sets in. And then a pitiful demise.

If you forget the values that made you stable, you will fall. Sometimes you have to pin a scarlet letter on someone's chest when they're bad. You've convinced yourselves that administering consequences makes you the guilty party. You're taking the easy and self-satisfying way out. That cycle of neglect Thorpesaurus related above? It's happening to you on a national scale. The results will be damning.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 06:46 PM
Jan 2014, dawn of the ****ing idiots.

Look how quickly you sprinted away from a meaningful and difficult discussion. It didn't even take 2 full pages. You are the exact kind of simple minded coward that has America's future in a checkmate. You are the average member of the hive. You are base. Comprised of neither fortitude nor intelligence.

Now escape these difficult realities and go talk about sports teams in the basketball forum.

niko
01-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Look how quickly you sprinted away from a meaningful and difficult discussion. It didn't even take 2 full pages. You are the exact kind of simple minded coward that has America's future in a checkmate. You are the average member of the hive. You are base. Comprised of neither fortitude nor intelligence.

Now escape these difficult realities and go talk about sports teams in the basketball forum.
I'll talk, just not to you. You're removed from the discussion. You look a lot like Rambo, which means you want to type a lot and argue semantics, neither of which I find interesting.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 07:06 PM
I'll talk, just not to you. You're removed from the discussion. You look a lot like Rambo, which means you want to type a lot and argue semantics, neither of which I find interesting.

You didn't have much to say in response to Thorpesaurus' lucid point either, and I'm sure you've got a reason (see: excuse) for that as well.

You don't run NY. You run around in NY, like every other caged rat with a mob mentality. You only ever venture down the familiar avenues of discussion that have been littered with talking point breadcrumbs for you. You're a feeble mind, and security is more important to you than answers. That's why you never look deeper, because depth is not meant for the mob. You scurry around the surface using simplistic arguments others have prepared for you. When poked and prodded, you let out an eek and scurry away to a conversation you'll feel safer in.

You're a rat niko. Why should anyone think otherwise? You have the mind of a rat. You think because you walk on two legs and have been trained to type on a keyboard with your little fingers you should be taken for something more? Sorry. That's not good enough.

niko
01-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Akrazotile
This message is hidden because Akrazotile is on your ignore list.

One Rambo is enough, thank you.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Akrazotile
This message is hidden because Akrazotile is on your ignore list.

One Rambo is enough, thank you.

What does it matter if you can see my posts or not? You are a blind rat, regardless of what your eyes look at.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Here pal, I'll show you a video of me. That way you know exactly who I am.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYcw8hhoI6E

Except you've got me on ignore. So you can't admit to having watched it.

Pity.

niko
01-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Today 06:17 PM
Akrazotile This user is on your Ignore List.
Today 06:13 PM

This is fun.

Akrazotile
01-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Today 06:17 PM
Today 06:13 PM

This is fun.

Silly rat.

Let's keep your cowardice bumped at the top of the board for a few days.

Jameerthefear
01-13-2014, 10:22 PM
Silly rat.

Let's keep your cowardice bumped at the top of the board for a few days.
lol... u deleted ur post then posted again to bump this...

Akrazotile
01-14-2014, 01:23 AM
lol... u deleted ur post then posted again to bump this...

Yes.

Which is what I stated I'd be doing in that same post.

http://cdn0.cosmosmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/20080314_sherlock_holmes.jpg

Jameerthefear
01-14-2014, 01:23 AM
u are trying too hard. r u starface or rambo?

Akrazotile
01-14-2014, 01:25 AM
u are trying too hard. r u starface or rambo?

I'm either both or neither. That's the only clue you're getting.

Akrazotile
01-14-2014, 06:45 PM
http://images.topix.com/gallery/up-I1AB8IBTSB90CI0V.jpg

Budadiiii
01-14-2014, 06:54 PM
Hey starface, how is did the whole acting endeavor go?

I'm interested to hear(see) your experiences. Tell us about it, maine. Educate us on what's it like so go down said path.

Akrazotile
01-14-2014, 06:57 PM
Hey starface, how is did the whole acting endeavor go?

I'm interested to hear(see) your experiences. Tell us about it, maine. Educate us on what's it like so go down said path.

Well first you start off at macys selling womens shoes. This is how you solidify your confidence and manhood. When they take off the shoes they wore into the store you have to stick your nose right inside them and take a big whiff, this helps you decide which new pair to sell them.

Then you go to auditions and suck on directors knobs in exchange for roles and money, except as soon as you're finished they remember they actually just promised them to the last guy.

I'm still on this path to success right now, luckily I'm only 24 so I have plenty of time left.

niko
01-14-2014, 07:00 PM
And it goes on and on...