PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili Appreciation Thread

Lebron23
01-11-2014, 07:57 PM
People hate him right now because he sucked and choked in the NBA Finals, but during his prime he was one of the most exciting SG's in NBA history. Manu won a couple of championships in Italy before he made his NBA debut at age 25 for the Spurs.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/kelly_dwyer/03/13/observation.deck/p1.manu.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18o0mPTElBo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBLdQMI4TJM

He was a solid scorer off the bench, and from 2005 and 2007 NBA Finals one of the best 3rd scoring options in the league.

moe94
01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
People try arguing he's not HoF worthy. I just get mad.

Lebron23
01-11-2014, 08:07 PM
People try arguing he's not HoF worthy. I just get mad.

he's a first ballot hall of fame. Euroleague MVP, NBA Champion, Italian cup champion, and Olympic Gold Medalist.

Uncle Drew
01-11-2014, 08:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPSXDDg-aZw

:bowdown:

TMT
01-12-2014, 12:35 AM
Wouldn't say he choked in the Finals. Just had too many turnovers in Game 6.

Definitely one of the best international ballers of all time, and one of my personal favorites. Style of play is something that comes around once in a generation. Arguably the best Spur this season, who currently are tied with the best record in the West.

rmt
01-12-2014, 01:37 AM
Wouldn't say he choked in the Finals. Just had too many turnovers in Game 6.

Definitely one of the best international ballers of all time, and one of my personal favorites. Style of play is something that comes around once in a generation. Arguably the best Spur this season, who currently are tied with the best record in the West.

Parker 17.7 pts / 6.2 assts 51%FG
Manu 12.5 pts / 4.7 assts 46.6%FG

I don't think that there is any argument that Parker has been better than Manu this season.

Genaro
01-12-2014, 01:56 AM
Real FMVP in 2013, Heat should retire his jersey.

TheMilkyBarKid
01-12-2014, 02:42 AM
Wouldve loved to see him as a first option on offense in his prime, but championships are worth the sacrifice. I personally rate him above parker career vs career

SCdac
01-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Dude plays with so much intensity, so much heart, and so much drive. Def my favorite player all time, ahead of Penny, Jordan, Duncan, a handful of others.

was clearly the second best player on the Spurs for their 3rd championship in 2005 (generally regarded as the Spurs' toughest playoffs) averaging 21 ppg, 4 apg, 6 rpg, and and 1.2 spg in the playoffs.

In Manu's second season – 26 years old – he put up a then career high 33 points (12 boards and 7 assists) in a close OT loss to Shaq/Kobe/Phil Lakers when Duncan and Parker did not play. It's just one frame of a long career, but probably indicative of what he could have done on other, more barren teams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8zhDrzorXs

around the same time he was winning an MVP and tournament MVP on his Argentinian team as the leader and in 2005 really broke out for the Spurs.

He's a competitor and team player who fit right into the Spurs scheme. He's all time Spurs leader in Three's and 5th in points (behind Duncan, Robinson, Gervin, and Parker). In the '11 season he was getting some MVP buzz and the SA crowd a few times chanted MVP for him.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/adrumaddict/Manusave1-13-10.gif

(^ that dive and save lead to a game-winning shot btw)

Lebron23
01-12-2014, 03:13 AM
He's also the most clutch spurs player since 2003.

Best FG Pct on Game-Tying/Go-Ahead FG
Final 24 Secs. of 4th Qtr/OT, Past 10 Postseasons

LeBron James 43.8 7-16
Kevin Durant 41.7 5-12
Dirk Nowitzki 41.7 5-12
Manu Ginobili 30.0 3-10

Done_And_Done
01-12-2014, 03:15 AM
I've revered Manu since he broke out in the league. His career has been a joy to follow as he's complimented the San Antonio system {and vice versa} very well along the way.

With that said, the numerous upon numerous of deplorable decisions made in the finals last year really black marked him a little for me personally. I cannot take anything away from his career, but his lackluster play in that ONE specific series really soiled my view of him to a slight degree.

It's all subjectivity though.

Lebron23
01-12-2014, 03:34 AM
I've revered Manu since he broke out in the league. His career has been a joy to follow as he's complimented the San Antonio system {and vice versa} very well along the way.

With that said, the numerous upon numerous of deplorable decisions made in the finals last year really black marked him a little for me personally. I cannot take anything away from his career, but his lackluster play in that ONE specific series really soiled my view of him to a slight degree.

Manu had some crucial turnovers in the NBA Finals. I think it was the pressure playing against Miami, and The Heat were the Spurs toughest opponent in their 5th NBA Finals appearance.

Even with an injured Wade and inconsistent Bosh they were better than the 2005 Detroit Pistons, 1999 New York Knicks, 2003 New Jersey Nets, and 2007 Cleveland Cavaliers.

Lakers Legend#32
01-12-2014, 03:36 AM
Losing his hair badly.

rmt
01-12-2014, 03:38 AM

There's the Dirk foul too, but yes, 9 pts, 8 turnovers, -21 in game 6 was horrible.

SCdac
01-12-2014, 04:05 AM
As far as the '13 Finals, Manu just in general has had some epically great moments and epically bad moments (missing FT's, to me, is harder to deal with than botched passes), but I'd venture to say you can find in every great player. But it's important to remember the Spurs lost to the Heat not once but 4 times and it wasn't only Manu who played badly. In those 4 losses, Parker shot 21-65 FG (.32 FG%) for instance. At 35 Manu isn't in his prime anymore and because of injuries he never really got into rhythm last season. Got to appreciate what he's done for the Spurs though. His game 7 against the Pistons in the Finals was not only awesome but necessary

fandarko
01-12-2014, 07:56 AM
Wouldve loved to see him as a first option on offense in his prime, but championships are worth the sacrifice. I personally rate him above parker career vs career

As a first option he would have been a perrenial 22-26 PPG scorer in the league, Monta Ellis at Worst and Wade/Harden at best.

fandarko
01-12-2014, 08:10 AM
He fitted perfectly the role of third string.

While he accomplished a great deal in his career, especially at the international level (which is underrated on this NBA-centric forum), I feel we haven't seen the best of him in a longer stretch of time.

His prime in the NBA lasted for about five years and he was never overrated nor underrated.

But I think his ceiling was higher. If we took his best offensive nights and project them to a situation where he would have been the alpha dog for a team, I believe he would have been capable of having a Harden or Wade-like career.

That said, he came from Europe to a euro-friendly team, enabling him to blossom. He he nonetheless played third string behind Duncan and Parker.

A similar thing happened to Kukoc.

As a European, I feel they both played to like 80% of their ceiling, which is not bad. They would probably not trade their accomplishments (titles) to a statistically better individual career. I wouldn't either.

To4
01-12-2014, 09:04 AM
I Love Manu.. but still thou.. fuq him of his turnovers in the Finals..