PDA

View Full Version : How the f**k did Dirk put 40 on A.Davis?

Aidz
01-12-2014, 10:22 AM
Nevermind, 15-16 from the ft line.

How bad does the NBA want Dallas in the playoffs?
Enough to give them 45 fts vs 31 for Pelicans.

But I'm sure Dirk deserved all those foul calls. After all, he's always driving to the hoop and drawing contact...

#number6ix#
01-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Dirk's gonna Dirk

navy
01-12-2014, 10:34 AM
Dirk is still pretty good. Did you watch the game?

*first post*

cos88
01-12-2014, 10:38 AM

*first post*

jan 14 :facepalm

eklip
01-12-2014, 10:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1Q2t3aQS4

Basketbolero
01-12-2014, 10:41 AM
How can you complain about the free throws he shot without even waching the game? :facepalm

Bandito
01-12-2014, 10:47 AM

*first post*
Welcome, hope your draft class is not as horrible as April 2013, the worst class ever.

dr.hee
01-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Nevermind, 15-16 from the ft line.

Enough to give them 45 fts vs 31 for Pelicans.

But I'm sure Dirk deserved all those foul calls. After all, he's always driving to the hoop and drawing contact...

Did you even watch the game, dumbass? Probably not, so why are you even posting? There have been two shaky foul calls resulting in Nowitzki getting to the line, one against Rivers in one of those big vs. small post up mismatches that can be reffed either way, and a really questionable one against Ajinca I think. Besides that, Dirk got hacked on drives and jumpshots. I've actually watched the game, and the other foul calls were legit. So depending on how you rate the call vs Rivers, there were either 14 or 12 legit freethrows imo.

And even if this one foul was nonsense, Dirk got completely hacked on another drive and made the shot with no foul being called...so in the end, it was just a big scoring night. What's the problem?

So basically, one call was nonsense imo, but the other ones not so much. If you're really interested in what you're talking about, you can watch replays of all fouls on the NBA.com video play-by-play. But I'm assuming you just wanted to dump a huge pile of nonsensical shit on the first page of the NBA forum? Good job.

dabigbaws
01-12-2014, 10:52 AM

its apr 13 :facepalm

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
01-12-2014, 11:12 AM
Its simple Dirk is a far better player than Anthony Davis

dr.hee
01-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Its simple Dirk is a far better player than Anthony Davis

I disagree. Davis can do a lot of things already Dirk couldn't even do in his prime. Completely different players, Nowitzki is essentially a SG these days. So you can't compare these two imo. It's just that Dirk is still completely unguardable on a good day, no matter who's matched up against him.

Jameerthefear
01-12-2014, 11:21 AM
Hello! Welcome to ISH!

R.I.P.
01-12-2014, 11:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjTjKJNZNAQ

This way.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
01-12-2014, 11:24 AM
I disagree. Davis can do a lot of things already Dirk couldn't even do in his prime. Completely different players, Nowitzki is essentially a SG these days. So you can't compare these two imo. It's just that Dirk is still completely unguardable on a good day, no matter who's matched up against him.
Davis is better defensively but the gap on offense is bigger. The Pelicans are the 2nd worst defense in the league. Anthony Davis cant create offensively. Hes a below avg passer, he gets most of his points in transition, putbacks, alleys and assist on midrange. Hes not much better offensively than Serge Ibaka.

miles berg
01-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Maybe cause Dirk is way better than Davis lol. You act like this is shocking, Dirks one of the greats all time.

Johnny Jones
01-12-2014, 11:30 AM
Davis is better defensively but the gap on offense is bigger. The Pelicans are the 2nd worst defense in the league. Anthony Davis cant create offensively. Hes a below avg passer, he gets most of his points in transition, putbacks, alleys and assist on midrange. Hes not much better offensively than Serge Ibaka.
we have the 2nd worst defense because our defensive system is awful we constantly leave guys open. and Davis is creating some of his offense he can drive to the hoop and I've seen him do a few nice moves in the post this year. also LOL @ below average passer AD is good at passing.

dr.hee
01-12-2014, 11:35 AM
Maybe cause Dirk is way better than Davis lol. You act like this is shocking, Dirks one of the greats all time.

Yeah I like how OP is acting all surprised. How the hell can Dirk, of all people, put up huge numbers? I mean how on earth can a future HOFer score against a 20 year old? Just crazy...damn...that's unreal...and how stupid is the OP?

Anyway, Davis actually played some good defense against Dirk yesterday.

Locked_Up_Tonight
01-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Do posters realize that Davis does not guard Dirk for every minute that Davis plays?

dr.hee
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM
Do posters realize that Davis does not guard Dirk for every minute that Davis plays?

OP didn't even watch the game, how should he know?

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 11:41 AM

Davis is like a box car of raw iron ore dumped on the floor of the plant. It's not even molten pig iron yet.... it's just a pile of raw material.

It's a long long way from there to actually making steel.... and who knows if that steel will even be high grade? Nobody knows until it gets finished.

His NBA coach has an enormous amount of work cut out for him... and that is monty williams... who's not much past the pig iron point himself as a head coach. I like davis but we'll see.

Guy Dudebro
01-12-2014, 11:45 AM
Dirk = bad boy (not Puffy and Mase stye either, Biggie!)

K Xerxes
01-12-2014, 11:46 AM
People act like AD is Drummond-level raw. The dude is putting up 20-10 with elite defense. I've seen the Pelicans play a few times, and he's the only reason they aren't dead last in defense trailing by a long way. He's an intimidating presence and reads the game so well. Make no mistake, he's not like what Ibaka used to be - i.e. just swatting shots and falling for every other pump fake.

Top 3 PF in my book already. Only Love and LMA are better than him, and I find LMA pretty arguable. He refines his game a little more and he's the best big man without question. Unless something drastic halts his development, we're looking at an all time PF great at the least.

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 11:50 AM
People act like AD is Drummond-level raw. The dude is putting up 20-10 with elite defense. I've seen the Pelicans play a few times, and he's the only reason they aren't dead last in defense trailing by a long way. He's an intimidating presence and reads the game so well. Make no mistake, he's not like what Ibaka used to be - i.e. just swatting shots and falling for every other pump fake.

Top 3 PF in my book already. Only Love and LMA are better than him, and I find LMA pretty arguable. He refines his game a little more and he's the best big man without question. Unless something drastic halts his development, we're looking at an all time PF great at the least.

agree.
He's a kid though and lots of kids turn out very differently as they get older - that's my worry... does he explode mentally like so many do?

We may be seeing a pure, lost art, Samurai blade being forged.... or just some good quality, serviceable, Al Jefferson type cavalry sword. We'll see.

chocolatethunder
01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
/thread.

WallIn
01-12-2014, 12:07 PM
Because he is a legend? Seriously. With his style of play he can compete till 40 and still easily have 15-20 ppg

fiddy
01-12-2014, 12:09 PM
perfect example of the worst poster on ish trying too hard

ArbitraryWater
01-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Dirk teaching the young blood :pimp:

He has gotten so good at swiping the ball at players driving to the hoop, anybody else noticed that?

On pace to surpass Hakeem for 9th on the all time scoring list this season already :bowdown: :bowdown:

coin24
01-12-2014, 12:23 PM
perfect example of the worst poster on ish trying too hard

:applause: :applause:

noob cake
01-12-2014, 12:29 PM
You know Dirk is just one of those players that is influenced very little by defensive pressure?

strifed169
01-12-2014, 12:29 PM
meanwhile Durant has his 20th straight 15+ ft game

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 12:36 PM

wish Oakley would come out of retirement for just 1 game on Durant. Just 1.

dr.hee
01-12-2014, 12:37 PM
You know Dirk is just one of those players that is influenced very little by defensive pressure?

This. Although Davis played him very well in post up situations, and this will only improve with experience and Dirk getting slower in the future. On the perimeter though, there's nothing you can do against Nowitzki once he's catching the ball in rhythm. Not Davis' fault, it's just unguardable. He's pulling up way behind the 3pt line if he's feeling it and if you fall for the shot fake, the 1 step dribble pullup is money.

ArbitraryWater
01-12-2014, 12:39 PM
This. Although Davis played him very well in post up situations, and this will only improve with experience and Dirk getting slower in the future. On the perimeter though, there's nothing you can do against Nowitzki once he's catching the ball in rhythm. Not Davis' fault, it's just unguardable. He's pulling up way behind the 3pt line if he's feeling it and if you fall for the shot fake, the 1 step dribble pullup is money.

If Dirk would focus on drawing FT's his shot fakes could earn him 8+ attempts a night IMO... too deadly of a shooter NOT to fall for it..

wally_world
01-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Yet another PF Blake Griffin is not better than

Genaro
01-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Dirk is an amazing offensive player, why are you surprised?

fiddy
01-12-2014, 01:15 PM
bullshit, not even remotely close

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duranke01/gamelog/2014/

3 games

HylianNightmare
01-12-2014, 01:31 PM
jan 14 up in this!

hawksdogsbraves
01-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Davis is like a box car of raw iron ore dumped on the floor of the plant. It's not even molten pig iron yet.... it's just a pile of raw material.

It's a long long way from there to actually making steel.... and who knows if that steel will even be high grade? Nobody knows until it gets finished.

His NBA coach has an enormous amount of work cut out for him... and that is monty williams... who's not much past the pig iron point himself as a head coach. I like davis but we'll see.

Are you serious? Davis is already averaging 20/10 with 3bpg on 52% shooting. He's not all 'potential', he's not 'raw', he's an elite player who is playing at a very high level RIGHT NOW. Like, top 10 player in the league. The 'steel' is already high grade, and will likely end up being sterling silver when he improves his stats up to around 25/12.

So Dirk put up 40, who cares, Dirk could put up 40 on anyone in the history of this league if he's shooting the ball well.

waseem780
01-12-2014, 03:50 PM
Davis had 28 and 14 :eek:

Eric Cartman
01-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Welcome, hope your draft class is not as horrible as April 2013, the worst class ever.

July 2010 is the worst. After the decision and all that shit.

NustABut
01-12-2014, 05:10 PM
wish Oakley would come out of retirement for just 1 game on Durant. Just 1.

lol

durant out for season

broken everything

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Are you serious? Davis is already averaging 20/10 with 3bpg on 52% shooting. He's not all 'potential', he's not 'raw', he's an elite player who is playing at a very high level RIGHT NOW. Like, top 10 player in the league. The 'steel' is already high grade, and will likely end up being sterling silver when he improves his stats up to around 25/12.

So Dirk put up 40, who cares, Dirk could put up 40 on anyone in the history of this league if he's shooting the ball well.

Yeah nice stats all right; he's nowhere close to a finished product. He's raw as a fresh farm egg. There's nothing negative about the fact we don't even know if he's gonna turn into a role player or a star, or something more.

juju151111
01-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Yeah nice stats all right; he's nowhere close to a finished product. He's raw as a fresh farm egg. There's nothing negative about the fact we don't even know if he's gonna turn into a role player or a star, or something more.
Role players don't avg 20/10/3. In their second season.

DirkNowitzki41
01-12-2014, 07:17 PM
OP obviously didnt watch the game.

But you act as if some scrub scored 40...

Enough to the point where the Mavs send tapes to the NBA of Dirk no-calls
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4699170/mavs-send-nba-video-of-dirk-no-calls

Mavs got screwed in the 4th during the Raptors game.. Dirk got fouled with a second left by Amir Johsnon, yet no apologies from the refs... maybe because they didnt have all this bitching from the fans? Get over it

notatop29pg
01-12-2014, 07:20 PM

Hmmm... confusing statement. Consistently averaging 20/10/3.2/1.5 makes it pretty hard to "turn into" a role player barring serious injury.

Yes I agree that he is raw... but those stats while being raw...holy sh*t can you imagine 3 years time?

I've watched every game he's played in the NBA and I'd say the chances are about:

Role Player = 3%
Consistent Allstar = 37%
top 3 player for 5+ years = 60%

Just when you think we have seen all the "types" of players that can dominate the NBA, I think Davis is something new altogether.

no pun intended
01-12-2014, 07:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V1Q2t3aQS4
dude i love how this highlight reel shows the free throws like that. pretty dope and saves a lot of time

DirkNowitzki41
01-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Anyways.. Davis may already be the best PF in the league. He's there with LMA and Dirk.

The crazy thing is that he is only 20 years old...

notatop29pg
01-12-2014, 07:26 PM
Anyways.. Davis may already be the best PF in the league. He's there with LMA and Dirk.

The crazy thing is that he is only 20 years old...

:cheers:

Good to see an opposition fan not bringing another player down for once.

The next few years are going to be very interesting if the improvement continues. Especially considering how the midrange jumper is almost money already and he is now starting to pull out the running hook in the lane too.

DMAVS41
01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
OP obviously didnt watch the game.

But you act as if some scrub scored 40...

Enough to the point where the Mavs send tapes to the NBA of Dirk no-calls
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/mavericks/post/_/id/4699170/mavs-send-nba-video-of-dirk-no-calls

Mavs got screwed in the 4th during the Raptors game.. Dirk got fouled with a second left by Amir Johsnon, yet no apologies from the refs... maybe because they didnt have all this bitching from the fans? Get over it

This.

Dirk is consistently grabbed, held, pushed, bumped...etc. in a way very few other star players are without getting calls. And, to make matters worse, Dirk is often hit on jumpers with no calls...the Mavs have been arguing this for literally his entire career without much success.

The answer to the OP...Dirk is still one of those rare offensive players in NBA history that you simply can't stop at all one on one when he gets hot. He either is making or missing and very rarely does defense bother him...especially if it's not very physical.

If Dirk only cared about stats....or cared more about stats like other stars do (won't name them to stop a thread derail)...he'd put up way more ppg. He could easily score 25 or more a night if he really wanted to, but that isn't how he has ever played...he's unselfish and wants to play team ball....sometimes to a fault actually.

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 07:44 PM
Hmmm... confusing statement. Consistently averaging 20/10/3.2/1.5 makes it pretty hard to "turn into" a role player barring serious injury.

Yes I agree that he is raw... but those stats while being raw...holy sh*t can you imagine 3 years time?

I've watched every game he's played in the NBA and I'd say the chances are about:

Role Player = 3%
Consistent Allstar = 37%
top 3 player for 5+ years = 60%

Just when you think we have seen all the "types" of players that can dominate the NBA, I think Davis is something new altogether.

exactly. we don't know yet!!

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Role players don't avg 20/10/3. In their second season.
Steve Francis did, Elton Brand never quite turned out like many thought he would; Keith Van Horn; Jerry Stackhouse was an all star like once or twice.... Juwan Howard, Isiah Rider.

Yes they do sometimes put up numbers like that, before the NBA figures out their playing style.

Hey I ain't knocking Davis, at all. He's a kid. We'll see.

juju151111
01-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Steve Francis did, Elton Brand never quite turned out like many thought he would; Keith Van Horn; Jerry Stackhouse was an all star like once or twice.... Juwan Howard, Isiah Rider.

Yes they do sometimes put up numbers like that, before the NBA figures out their playing style.

Steve Francis was 23 years old and his stats were 20ppg,6 asts on 45%. Davis is playing way better st a younger age

notatop29pg
01-12-2014, 08:05 PM

I think most of those guys suffered career changing injuries though too didn't they? Not to mention that a couple of them were hot heads from the start. Davis is about as clean a slate as they come, shuts his mouth and gets on with the job.

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Steve Francis was 23 years old and his stats were 20ppg,6 asts on 45%. Davis is playing way better st a younger age

Is he?

dr.hee
01-12-2014, 08:11 PM
Is he?

Yes

notatop29pg
01-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Is he?

I think so, yes. Without a doubt.

hawksdogsbraves
01-12-2014, 08:26 PM
How could he 'turn into' a role player? Even if by some insane miracle he lost the ability to shoot jumpers and people figured out his post game so that literally the only way he could score was on put backs and alley oops, he'd still put up 10ppg to go along with 11+ boards and 3+ blocks per game. So basically he'd still be Tyson Chandler.

HOoopCityJones
01-12-2014, 08:30 PM
Dirk is top 30 all time.

He ain't no chump.

Davis is still developing imo, even with such a high ceiling.

DMAVS41
01-12-2014, 08:31 PM
How could he 'turn into' a role player? Even if by some insane miracle he lost the ability to shoot jumpers and people figured out his post game so that literally the only way he could score was on put backs and alley oops, he'd still put up 10ppg to go along with 11+ boards and 3+ blocks per game. So basically he'd still be Tyson Chandler.

Chandler is a role player.

But Davis could not be a role player in his prime...he's way too talented for that to happen.

He's going to be an all star for 10 plus years...

JohnFreeman
01-12-2014, 08:41 PM
Why would Dirk not put up 40 against Davis?

La Frescobaldi
01-12-2014, 08:48 PM

No one can foretell the future. There's way too many variables to ever answer that question, not least being the pathetically bad team he is putting those numbers up for.