PDA

View Full Version : There may be tape of Wilt's 100

Railgun
01-13-2014, 01:06 AM
http://the700level.com/sports/story-time-wilt-chamberlain-feared-death-by-soda-poisoning-a-video-of-the-100-point-game-exists-and-one-man-did-actually-die-in-his-seat-at-the-vet/

[QUOTE]And in fact, my father and his father taped the game reel-to-reel in the second quarter when it was in Hershey, Pennsylvania in the 100-point game. They started when he had like 30-something; they thought it was going to be a special night. They gave it to Wilt

JimmyMcAdocious
01-13-2014, 01:07 AM
Only now they are trying to find it?

navy
01-13-2014, 01:08 AM
I dont trust it.

DuMa
01-13-2014, 01:09 AM
bullshit. tease

SugarHill
01-13-2014, 01:13 AM
I'm just going to say the obvious. It never happened. Wilt posed for that picture in order to attract casual fans to a relatively brand new sport.

#number6ix#
01-13-2014, 01:16 AM
Cavsftw is probably fully erect at the idea thats there footage

LAZERUSS
01-13-2014, 01:23 AM
Well, there is audio of the entire 4th quarter, when Wilt scored 31 of his points...

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/wilt/

SugarHill
01-13-2014, 01:25 AM
Well, there is audio of the entire 4th quarter, when Wilt scored 31 of his points...

http://www.randomhouse.com/crown/wilt/

I can make basketball sounds, too. Doesn't mean it happened.

CavaliersFTW
01-13-2014, 01:25 AM
Fake. Wilt in interviews says there wasn't a camera in the building. Actually is visibly agitated in his later years that none of his era is on film. Yet he allegedly had film of his 100 point game in his posession? No, hell no actually.

LAZERUSS
01-13-2014, 01:30 AM
I can make basketball sounds, too. Doesn't mean it happened.

Good for you.

We now know that Wilt didn't score 100 points in that game, ... nor did we ever send a man to the moon (as everyone knows that was a very low-budget filming in a back lot somewhere in Hollywood.)

SugarHill
01-13-2014, 01:32 AM
Good for you.

We now know that Wilt didn't score 100 points in that game, ... nor did we ever send a man to the moon (as everyone knows that was a very low-budget filming in a back lot somewhere in Hollywood.)

I like how you're trying to deflect. I also like how you're comparing scoring 100 points on 4 foot white guys to humanity landing on the moon. :applause:

Railgun
01-13-2014, 01:34 AM
Gonna need to troll harder than that. Jlauber has been fighting the likes of millwad, deuce, and others for years. he won't succumb that easily.

LAZERUSS
01-13-2014, 01:34 AM
I like how you're trying to deflect. I also like how you're comparing scoring 100 points on 4 foot white guys to humanity landing on the moon. :applause:

Don't exaggerate. Everyone knows that he faced five foot white guys back then.

Chrono90
01-13-2014, 01:37 AM
I want there to be a tape of it. It's going to show how the game evolved.

I don't think it's going to be impressive to see a super tall guy score in a super fast pace game.

A 50+ game by Jordan Kobe or Lebron might be more impressive.

Kobe's 81 point game is going to be more appreciated.

Suguru101
01-13-2014, 01:39 AM

:lol

SugarHill
01-13-2014, 01:40 AM
:roll:

LAZERUSS
01-13-2014, 01:43 AM

I don't think it's going to be impressive to see a super tall guy score in a super fast pace game.

Chamberlain had two 60+ point games in the 68-69 season, one of which came on 29-35 shooting, and the other against Connie Dierking. KAJ came into the league the very next year, and never scored more than 55 points in his 20 year career, which ended in 88-89. Oh, and his high game against Dierking was 41 points. Wilt had a ton of games like that against Dierking. Interesting too, that a 38-39 year old KAJ pounded Hakeem for THREE 40+ point games, including a 46 point game in only 37 minutes, in a span of 10 straight H2H's in which he averaged 32 ppg on .621 shooting in their 84-85 and 85-86 season H2H's (and BTW, he also outscored Ewing in one game by a 40-9 margin...all at age 39.)

But yes, the game has evolved dramatically since the 60's...

Cold soul
01-13-2014, 01:48 AM

Tremendous post.

LAZERUSS
01-13-2014, 01:51 AM

Yep, years from now people will be proclaiming Kobe's 81 as the all-time record.

In fact, no one will ever remember Wilt by then, just as they don't now.

SugarHill
01-13-2014, 01:59 AM
Yep, years from now people will be proclaiming Kobe's 81 as the all-time record.

This is a depressing post, bro.:(

AnaheimLakers24
01-13-2014, 01:59 AM
ripleys believe it or not.

kamil
01-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Is there at least a tape of any of his 70+ pt games?

CavaliersFTW
01-13-2014, 02:14 AM
Nope.

LAZERUSS
01-13-2014, 02:15 AM

Sadly, I have not seen entire footage of even one of his 271 40+ point NBA games...

Euroleague
01-13-2014, 02:17 AM
Good for you.

Clearly, you are retarded.

Euroleague
01-13-2014, 02:19 AM

ESPN already does not. They don't even count anything that happened in the NBA "pre-merger".

aaronrodgers777
01-13-2014, 02:30 AM
The tape would be amazing. This way it can quit critics down who say the game never happened. can someone help me out. I just made account, its lets me reply, but whenever I want to post a new thread, it says you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Railgun
01-13-2014, 02:31 AM
The tape would be amazing. This way it can quit critics down who say the game never happened. can someone help me out. I just made account, its lets me reply, but whenever I want to post a new thread, it says you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
u need 100 posts

CavaliersFTW
01-13-2014, 02:32 AM

You have to have 100 posts under your belt before you are allowed to start new threads

PHILA
01-13-2014, 03:02 AM
Fake. Wilt in interviews says there wasn't a camera in the building. Actually is visibly agitated in his later years that none of his era is on film. Yet he allegedly had film of his 100 point game in his posession? No, hell no actually.

New York Daily News - Nov 3, 1996

Here's Wilt on: The 100-point game

"I see now on TV where some company is saying you can buy a tape with that game on it. Let me tell you, the only camera that was ever in the arena that night was the one of me showing '100 points' on a sign," Chamberlain said. "When people see me, they say, 'There's the guy who scored 100 points.

It's a tag and I don't like that tag. It's not a putdown. But it's a simplification of how people see me. It doesn't exemplify what I tried to do in basketball. People forget, I had games where I only took one shot. Some games I didn't take any. I led the league in scoring seven straight years and then I was asked to do other things. That was a testament to how good I was.

sundizz
01-13-2014, 03:26 AM
Wilt was amazing and would be amazing in today's league too. However, his stats are just playground stats. I put as much stock in them as I do in some NBA player going over to China and dropping 80. Actually, that's more impressive to me. Wilt might be a 30, 15 peak beast today and likely a top 3 player in the league for 10+ seasons. However, it's ludicrous to say with any certainty how he should be ranked.

He does not pass the eye test for me as some sort of clear cut GOAT. In all the footage I see he is very athletic, but also very clunky looking. Personally, I think the speed of today's double teams and the speed and strength of perimeter players/forwards would make him have to pass a lot more. I think it'd be very hard for him to score 24+ a season. Just my opinion though. If Tim Duncan (who i think is way more skilled) can't score more than that consistently I don't think Wilt can. He does have the potential to be the best defender though.

Could he win championships with the right players around him today....yes. Is he a better player than Mike, Kobe, Shaq, Duncan, Larry, or Magic? I dunno. Posting stupid stats about his dominance is like saying Audrey Hepburn is the greatest actress of all time and not appreciating all the (better looking) hotties around now..nostalgic fools. Just cuz she/Wilt made you cream ur pants when u were 16 your emotional ties to her aren't any indicator of her/his ability.

CavaliersFTW
01-13-2014, 03:27 AM
New York Daily News - Nov 3, 1996

Here's Wilt on: The 100-point game

"I see now on TV where some company is saying you can buy a tape with that game on it. Let me tell you, the only camera that was ever in the arena that night was the one of me showing '100 points' on a sign," Chamberlain said. "When people see me, they say, 'There's the guy who scored 100 points.

It's a tag and I don't like that tag. It's not a putdown. But it's a simplification of how people see me. It doesn't exemplify what I tried to do in basketball. People forget, I had games where I only took one shot. Some games I didn't take any. I led the league in scoring seven straight years and then I was asked to do other things. That was a testament to how good I was.
Thanks Phila, great archiving of quotes (or anything related to this topic really) as usual.

AirFederer
01-13-2014, 03:44 AM
I don`t need a video to believe he scored 100. Amazing, but all the same Wilt in a nutshell; statpadding :cheers:

CavaliersFTW
01-13-2014, 03:56 AM
I don`t need a video to believe he scored 100. Amazing, but all the same Wilt in a nutshell; statpadding :cheers:
Wilt wanted to come out of the 100 point game, his teammates all say this every time they are asked about it. They insist it was they, the coach, and the fans who wanted it that night and wouldn't let Wilt come out when they felt he could get it (which they claim is some time in the 4th after 78 or 80 points). Tom Meschery and Al Attles have an interview on Youtube about it. In the 100 point game radio broadcast sometime deep in the 4th you hear the radio announcer say "The Dippers saying "what am I doing out here" after he scores another 12 foot bank shot.

Eye Test
01-13-2014, 04:25 AM
He does not pass the eye test for me as some sort of

:applause: :applause:

more and more ppl are using the eye test lately to determine players greatness instead of no context stats. there is hope.

CavaliersFTW
01-13-2014, 04:44 AM
lol @ Sundizz... yeah Wilt is "clunky looking" http://youtu.be/8cMVotlyhU0?t=13s

:facepalm

Cold soul
01-13-2014, 05:42 AM
It be real sweet if there was video available to watch Wilt 100 point game.

sundizz
01-13-2014, 07:16 AM
lol @ Sundizz... yeah Wilt is "clunky looking" http://youtu.be/8cMVotlyhU0?t=13s

:facepalm

Must be something in your eyes...a little Wilt sample perhaps. To me there is a difference between Joey Graham and Lebron.

On a video they both are "athletic", but what makes the difference is the pure body control at their respective max levels of strength and speed. Lebron can control his body going at damn near 100% speed and looks smooth doing it.

Just because you can run end to end like a gazella doesn't make you a better athlete than someone that can run it slightly slower but has better body control. Speedy Claxton was faster than Steve Nash but Steve Nash >>>>> body control. Wilt doesn't pass that eye test for me even watching this cherry picked video highlight.

I'd take Shaq's pure body control over Wilt's anyday. Wilt MAY have been faster, and maybe even could jump higher. Shaq could move his mass (and control it) at undeniably awesome speeds. It is what made Dwight so bad last year. He still had similar pure speed, pure hops and pure strength. However, because of his injury (or mentality) he couldn't control it as well. From every video I see of Wilt I don't see the pure level of body control that I see from some other great bigs. Maybe it is the type of frame rate/footage etc. I really dunno. I think in his later years he actually has better body control but his young footage he just looks super "clunky" and robotic. It is why I think he is much easier to double team than some other notable bigs. I think that is what happened in the playoffs. Teams used effective strategies to limit what he did. This doesn't affect his amazing d/rebounding, but it definitely affects his offense. This was impossible to do to Shaq (and some other players). They had the body control to utilize their gifts to get out of being double teamed, or had the body control to originally get into an unguardable position. It is just strikingly odd how much lower his playoff stats are to his regular season stats.

Ratnik
01-13-2014, 08:18 AM
Wilt's 100 point game is a fraud manufactured by NBA and ZOG.

Knicks014Champs
01-13-2014, 08:20 AM
It ain't real, Melo could score 100 even in today's game though, but He's a team player.

Angel Face
01-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Wilt would be a pizza delivery boy today.

russwest0
01-13-2014, 08:37 AM
Wilt would be a pizza delivery boy today.

:lol he'd be one goofy, lanky, freak ass looking pizza delivery boy

Xiao Yao You
01-13-2014, 07:32 PM

81 against a team who's best player was Mike James. :coleman:

215Philly
01-13-2014, 07:41 PM
81 against a team who's best player was Mike James. :coleman:
Ever heard of Chris Bosh :coleman: And the Raptors coach was the reason for 81, not the players.

Psileas
01-13-2014, 08:05 PM
Ever heard of Chris Bosh :coleman: And the Raptors coach was the reason for 81, not the players.

About as relevant with Kobe's 81 as Richie Guerin with Wilt's 100.
Heck, Kobe scored 39 of his 81 on 3's and FT's alone.
And even to the small extent that he is, still not exactly a defensive powerhouse under the boards...

La Frescobaldi
01-13-2014, 10:03 PM
http://the700level.com/sports/story-time-wilt-chamberlain-feared-death-by-soda-poisoning-a-video-of-the-100-point-game-exists-and-one-man-did-actually-die-in-his-seat-at-the-vet/

" And in fact, my father and his father taped the game reel-to-reel in the second quarter when it was in Hershey, Pennsylvania in the 100-point game. They started when he had like 30-something; they thought it was going to be a special night. They gave it to Wilt — the 100-point game — and Wilt gave it back to my dad and my dad’s dad. He gave it back to them, they boxed it up, and he’s still trying to find it. He’s got all kinds of boxes, and he doesn’t know if he lost it. He’s trying to find the sucker."

CavsFTW How loud did you just scream? :D

Reel-to-reel strongly implies audio tape. And you could surmise that, if the tape existed, possibly they recorded the radio broadcast at home on their stereo.

Something like this:
http://www.beoworld.org/assets/thumbnails/belcanto608.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/67/Sonora-r2r.jpg

They were very popular right up to the mid-1970s when 8-tracks and cassettes took over the market.
Which reminds me of a story.

My friend Joey, few years older, lived off street East Philly & that dude always had girls all over him. Well anyhow he got tickets to the Beatles at Shea Stadium this would have been '64 or 5, and he rigged up some kind of battery pack for his reel-to-reel deck. I dunno how he got that freaking suitcase into the stadium but he did and he recorded about 3 songs of the show. I saw the tapes sitting on his bookshelf but I never heard them because on the way home from some night out a couple years later, he proceeded to open a can of beer that his girlfriend had severely shook up for him.... and it sprayed all over his Beatles tape.
Often wondered how much bread she cost him right there over that stupid joke of shaking up his Falstaff for him.