PDA

View Full Version : Laker News: Lakers may not sign any free agents in 2014

DKLaker
01-13-2014, 01:45 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24408130/gm-kupchak-says-lakers-could-wait-until-2015-to-make-free-agency-move

The Lakers are continuing on their aimless ways with Mitch Kupchak now saying that the Lakers may hold onto their cap space and not use it in 2014 to sign anyone....or any MAX guy that is.

This is very puzzling in many ways; Why wouldn't they dump Pau for Bynum then waive him to put the team under the cap this year and then next season would give them 2 straight years under, freeing them from all the over cap repeat offender penalties?
If you are not going to sign players then why get a new coach? Therefore we can now expect another year of 'Antoni ball next season.....this is even worse because we don't have our draft pick in 2015 :facepalm

I get the feeling that my Raiders will be title contenders before Jimmy gets the Lakers back to prominence, much less a title.
Kobe cannot be happy with all this talk.

Keep speeding toward that Iceberg Jimmy.....you can go right through it, it's only ice :facepalm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rant

Bosnian Sajo
01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
Other than Melo, who is worth a max contract in the 2014 offseason? Unless Lebron decides to be a FA, who is the star player we could go for this offseason? Not too many options. It sucks for Kobe and all of us fans, but be realistic.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-13-2014, 09:22 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24408130/gm-kupchak-says-lakers-could-wait-until-2015-to-make-free-agency-move

The Lakers are continuing on their aimless ways with Mitch Kupchak now saying that the Lakers may hold onto their cap space and not use it in 2014 to sign anyone....or any MAX guy that is.

This is very puzzling in many ways; Why wouldn't they dump Pau for Bynum then waive him to put the team under the cap this year and then next season would give them 2 straight years under, freeing them from all the over cap repeat offender penalties?
If you are not going to sign players then why get a new coach? Therefore we can now expect another year of 'Antoni ball next season.....this is even worse because we don't have our draft pick in 2015 :facepalm

I get the feeling that my Raiders will be title contenders before Jimmy gets the Lakers back to prominence, much less a title.

Keep speeding toward that Iceberg Jimmy.....you can go right through it, it's only ice :facepalm :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :rant

I would not give Max to even Melo...he is 30 and towards the end...I would not spend money like the Mavs on Calderon, Monta Ellis, Dalembert, brandon wright...

prefer to wait a year when you have LMA, Love, Rondo, Marc Gasol and some others in free agency...

I would prefer them to sign bledsoe, hayward, Lance Stephonson as stepping stones...

the article says could...never said he is adamant about NOT signing in 2014

DKLaker
01-13-2014, 10:23 PM
I would not give Max to even Melo...he is 30 and towards the end...I would not spend money like the Mavs on Calderon, Monta Ellis, Dalembert, brandon wright...

prefer to wait a year when you have LMA, Love, Rondo, Marc Gasol and some others in free agency...

I would prefer them to sign bledsoe, hayward, Lance Stephonson as stepping stones...

I did use the words "may hold onto their cap space" I didn't say WILL for that very reason.

I don't get why they feel they should even say anything at all on the subject.........what's the point???

Lakers91
01-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Bledsoe would be a great get, finally fix some point guard issues after so long but the Suns have already said they will match any offer, I wouldn't mind Melo but he certainly isn't the most I suppose all around player with some of his defensive issues and shot selection but maybe that's due to his teammates at the moment who knows but I don't consider Melo a savoir he's not the 25 year old superstar he's going to be soon on the wrong side of 30. If they sign Melo with Kobe's rather large deal they may not have enough room to sign Love the year after unfortunately and I think 2015 as I've said before will be the biggest one. Try and sign a few pieces next year maybe another average season but then try and get the likes of that are available Love, Aldridge, Rondo, Dragic even for a decent point guard spot if they don't get something beforehand I quite like him as a point guard not the best obviously but solid, Ellis I believe also comes off he just needs solid coaching because he's looked overall pretty good for the Mavs, at small forward have potentially Jeff Green or Wilson Chandler possibly available, Affalo's looked great this year could be available if he leaves the Magic, I believe Hibbert and Brook Lopez are available assuming the list I've got is up to date, has a lot of good players from most positions for 2015, who knows how many will be able to afford maybe 2-3 maybe none depending on financial demands and other contracts, but if they wait until 2015 I don't think it's the worst move, I'd like something for 2014's off season but outside of Melo there isn't that much that is realistic or a top caliber player which Melo despite his flaws is a top caliber player for the most part. I don't think it's the worst move to just wait until 2015, it's not what most will want to hear because of the desire for an immediate solution but it's not the worst option to just wait.

Lakers91
01-13-2014, 10:27 PM
I did use the words "may hold onto their cap space" I didn't say WILL for that very reason.

I don't get why they feel they should even say anything at all on the subject.........what's the point???

Try and calm fans I suppose, either so they can not be disappointed if nothing happens or that if they try to sign someone and fail they can just fall back on "well we did warn you we'd preserve space until 2015 so it's not like we went against our word". I see it as just preventing disappointment in case nothing happens/no one major signs, damage control in a way in that scenario and not portraying a negative image of the front office, to not get hopes up and avoid having it blow back on them.

DKLaker
01-14-2014, 01:03 AM
Try and calm fans I suppose, either so they can not be disappointed if nothing happens or that if they try to sign someone and fail they can just fall back on "well we did warn you we'd preserve space until 2015 so it's not like we went against our word". I see it as just preventing disappointment in case nothing happens/no one major signs, damage control in a way in that scenario and not portraying a negative image of the front office, to not get hopes up and avoid having it blow back on them.

That's a very cowardly position for a front office to take, and it could backfire on them with people deciding to bail on season tickets knowing that they are all but guaranteed another bust season. I have been LMAO at the Lakers, pathetic and desperate marketing campaigns on the radio, reminding people about their past glory while not talking about the present or future......it's maybe even worse than the OLD Clippers advertising where they only mentioned the visiting teams not their own :facepalm :facepalm :oldlol: Give it time and we may be doing that too :facepalm

Now....given their current stance, does anyone think we can bring in a coach after this season who is willing to coach a junk team? Does it even make sense to try to hire a new coach with a bad roster....can we even attract even lower FA's with 'Antoni in charge....definitely not a center.
We have painted ourselves into a corner and I don't think many people realize it yet. Of course this would be a brighter outlook if we still had our 2015 draft pick.

You know we REALLY need to get under the cap THIS SEASON!!!!

$LakerGold
01-14-2014, 01:51 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like Kevin Love. I've only seen him play like 15 times the whole he's been in the league, & a couple of highlight films, & of course there are people saying that he's a stat padder. But I feel like, he's not a game changer -- he doesn't have that Duncan or KG effect on me, & I don't know why. & I don't know how much Kobe will have an impact on his game once he probably signs with the Lakers knowing that Kobe's declining in all sorts of levels. The Lakers does not need a superstar, they need TIER 1 or 2 PLAYERS to build around Kobe, & those stats that Kevin Love puts up will change once he become a Laker for some reason. I don't think he's a game changer. I hope I'm wrong, but for now, I'll stand on what I believe in.

In a couple of years, if the OKC won't win 1 ring, KD will go to Houston. So, wait for Russell Westbrook, & we'll see from there.

I hope the Lakers will work on their bench this upcoming offseason, move Jordan Hill to the bench if they ever get someone better than him. I'd like to have Robin Lopez just because of his height & what that carries over to the team.

1. Deron Williams Or Russell Westbrook | Nick Young or Farmar (If they find a way to play Nick Young at point.
2. Kobe | Xavier Henry Or Nick Young
3. Luol Deng | Trevor | 3a. Trevor | Wesley Johnson or Artest
4. Pau | Glen Davis or Frye
5. Robin Lopez | Jordan Hill

That's just my wishlist.

Lakers91
01-14-2014, 01:52 AM
That's a very cowardly position for a front office to take, and it could backfire on them with people deciding to bail on season tickets knowing that they are all but guaranteed another bust season. I have been LMAO at the Lakers, pathetic and desperate marketing campaigns on the radio, reminding people about their past glory while not talking about the present or future......it's maybe even worse than the OLD Clippers advertising where they only mentioned the visiting teams not their own :facepalm :facepalm :oldlol: Give it time and we may be doing that too :facepalm

Now....given their current stance, does anyone think we can bring in a coach after this season who is willing to coach a junk team? Does it even make sense to try to hire a new coach with a bad roster....can we even attract even lower FA's with 'Antoni in charge....definitely not a center.
We have painted ourselves into a corner and I don't think many people realize it yet. Of course this would be a brighter outlook if we still had our 2015 draft pick.

You know we REALLY need to get under the cap THIS SEASON!!!!

I would tend to agree but then again I am not in the front office, that is simply from my outside looking in perspective, if they don't sign any big free agents then they are to a degree preventing fan disappointment, had they promised to sign a massive star and then failed to do so they would look like fools (well more than they already do well some of them already do), it's not that they won't sign any free agents just more so in case they don't rather than they definitely won't it's just a way to cover themselves somewhat in case what fans are expecting doesn't come to fruition.

It's a little too total panic in the last paragraph for me hah, at least I hope not but even I will admit it isn't the best position that the team has got into, the large contract given to Kobe hasn't helped matters very much, I don't think D'Antoni really can attract free agents big ones anyway but some of the lower players like Wes Johnson I think it was said they had joined partly because of D'Antoni's offense (who knows whether that's truth or just getting onto coach's good side), would be good to get a high draft pick this year that could certainly help matters, ideally Kobe to get back to full healthy, a free agent and then a draft prospect but that is the ideal scenario and they don't exactly happen. Even with a bad team for another year they need a coach that is an all round coach; preaches defense and can if not attract stars then at least not turn them away. At the end of the season ideally there would be only Kobe's contract remaining, Nash a great player but his body in my opinion has abandoned him and at his age never a good thing, I'd like the other role players back but ideally none on more than 2 million but the likes of Young, Meeks, Henry could get more on the free agent market.

Lakers91
01-14-2014, 02:06 AM
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't like Kevin Love. I've only seen him play like 15 times the whole he's been in the league, & a couple of highlight films, & of course there are people saying that he's a stat padder. But I feel like, he's not a game changer -- he doesn't have that Duncan or KG effect on me, & I don't know why. & I don't know how much Kobe will have an impact on his game once he probably signs with the Lakers knowing that Kobe's declining in all sorts of levels. The Lakers does not need a superstar, they need TIER 1 or 2 PLAYERS to build around Kobe, & those stats that Kevin Love puts up will change once he become a Laker for some reason. I don't think he's a game changer. I hope I'm wrong, but for now, I'll stand on what I believe in.

In a couple of years, if the OKC won't win 1 ring, KD will go to Houston. So, wait for Russell Westbrook, & we'll see from there.

I hope the Lakers will work on their bench this upcoming offseason, move Jordan Hill to the bench if they ever get someone better than him. I'd like to have Robin Lopez just because of his height & what that carries over to the team.

1. Deron Williams Or Russell Westbrook | Nick Young or Farmar (If they find a way to play Nick Young at point.
2. Kobe | Xavier Henry Or Nick Young
3. Luol Deng | Trevor | 3a. Trevor | Wesley Johnson or Artest
4. Pau | Glen Davis or Frye
5. Robin Lopez | Jordan Hill

That's just my wishlist.

Valid but I feel it's too risky to build around Kobe, Kobe in my opinion although it probably won't happen needs to be the one that another superstar is built around, Kobe can't carry a team anymore, even last year at 27 6 and 6 even with Kobe probably would have won a game or two but I still didn't see us getting past the Spurs and that was a potentially very talented team. My biggest problem with Love is his defense, his post defense at times really isn't that good, and Pekovic's defense is decent to good and that to a degree helps out Love a bit, but if he doesn't have another center who's physical or a bruiser like Pekovic then he could be exposed a fair bit on the defensive end. I suppose that's a slightly similar thing to signing Melo another question with him is his shot selection and defense (not exactly a coach he gets along with or the best one for him either). Love can be a bit of a stat padder but he is certainly a very talented and good player in my opinion, he's very versatile offensively, he's not the strongest player in the league albeit I certainly wouldn't call him weak just when it comes to being in the post he's not the strongest (not calling him weak though). He's one heck of a rebounder but I wouldn't want to have him trying to create his own shot all the time, he needs someone to for him I wouldn't want to rely on him to have to consistently which is why Rubio at times really helps him but they haven't produced that many wins sitting about .500 or so this year, there's been the argument throughout his career that he produces stats not wins, I'd certainly love him as a Laker though compared to some of the other options.

MJ(Mean John)
01-14-2014, 02:42 AM

my raiders will be a new team, entering a new era next season.

MJ(Mean John)
01-14-2014, 02:49 AM
I'll like it in a sense, because it allows us to NET Lamarcus Aldridge, AND Lillard in 2015.

However, That means that we leave KB alone for a year.
No bueno

MJ(Mean John)
01-14-2014, 03:05 AM
Moves we need to make and get better in 2014 to get better.

Sorry nash, Stretch provision his ass.

Bring Kendal Marshall back. Develop him. Sign Farmar too. Blake, I like, but I'm not sure we will keep him. He's played well this year, but he was pretty much a failed experiment.

I like Marshall, because He's like a prime Steve Nash LITE. Who knows how good the kid will be. He was a lottery pick and was a stud in college, but MOST importantly, he realizes he has/d weaknesses. He plans/is working on them. He is very competitive, humble, etc. Kid can become/ has played better than you're average PG.

Keep him.

Marshall/Farmar/Min contract
Kobe/Jodie
WesJohnson/Nick Young (30 minutes a night)
Pau(IF takes paycut)/Wes/Kelly
Hill/Sacre/ Min contract

Maybe sign a strong player. Not sure who, someone who is a borderline star.

DKLaker
01-14-2014, 11:11 AM
my raiders will be a new team, entering a new era next season.

:cheers: :rockon:

DKLaker
01-14-2014, 11:53 AM
I would tend to agree but then again I am not in the front office, that is simply from my outside looking in perspective, if they don't sign any big free agents then they are to a degree preventing fan disappointment, had they promised to sign a massive star and then failed to do so they would look like fools (well more than they already do well some of them already do), it's not that they won't sign any free agents just more so in case they don't rather than they definitely won't it's just a way to cover themselves somewhat in case what fans are expecting doesn't come to fruition.

It's a little too total panic in the last paragraph for me hah, at least I hope not but even I will admit it isn't the best position that the team has got into, the large contract given to Kobe hasn't helped matters very much, I don't think D'Antoni really can attract free agents big ones anyway but some of the lower players like Wes Johnson I think it was said they had joined partly because of D'Antoni's offense (who knows whether that's truth or just getting onto coach's good side), would be good to get a high draft pick this year that could certainly help matters, ideally Kobe to get back to full healthy, a free agent and then a draft prospect but that is the ideal scenario and they don't exactly happen. Even with a bad team for another year they need a coach that is an all round coach; preaches defense and can if not attract stars then at least not turn them away. At the end of the season ideally there would be only Kobe's contract remaining, Nash a great player but his body in my opinion has abandoned him and at his age never a good thing, I'd like the other role players back but ideally none on more than 2 million but the likes of Young, Meeks, Henry could get more on the free agent market.

Here's part of the problem we have created.......would a real good coach take on this bad team next year and TRUST that Jimmy will make the right moves to get players the following season?
We may find ourselves in a position that we need for player 1 to know that player 2 is coming before either will sign.

LG.......Kobe cannot carry this team and even a Kobe homer like me wouldn't build around him at this point in his career. I'm not doubting that Kobe can still play great.....but he's not a kid.

Robster89
01-14-2014, 05:29 PM

I agree. LBJ is the only max FA we should make an offer to, and I really doubt he leaves Miami. I love Melo, but do we want to sign a 30 year old guy to a 4 year max deal? Also, a Melo max will start at 23 and top out at close to 30 mil. A KLove max will start at 17, that's a nice role player salary difference, and Love is 5 years younger.

I say sign some value FA's this offseason, depending on who we draft.
If we draft Smart, I'd look at Ariza and then Hill/Varajao. Then add Love in 2015.
If we get Wiggins, then take a look at Lowry in FA if his price is right, then either Hill or Varajao.
If we get Embiid, I'd look at both Lowry and Ariza. I'd also keep a close eye on Boozer if Amnestied. Preserve that cap space for 2015 when there are younger FA's available. Go for value FA's this offseason.
We'll be competitive next year, maybe not a favorite, but competitive.

I also think we may be able to parlay Gasol and cap space into additional picks.

dd24
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
This team could be looking at a top 5 draft pick if things keep going the way they are. That means LA could end up with a solid young starter. We all need to cross our fingers that will actually happen.

I agree they shouldn't waste their cap space on a max player this summer. Outside of Lebron I don't see a max player. Deng is going to get a ton of money. He's going to be way overpaid. He wants a contract bigger than what the Pistons gave Josh Smith. Save the money for the following season when there's good players the Lakers could actually get. Love is good enough to give a max contract too. Unless the Lakers can draft a guy like Randle, it's worth going after him. I also agree with resigning Kendall Marshall. He's been a bargain for this team thus far. He's the best PG the Lakers have had in a while. That's not saying much lol, but it's worth keeping him.

As for the coach I think we all agree 'antoni is horrible. I don't see making the change right now though. Let 'antoni deal with the losing, especially this season when the Lakers need to. Once the team gets built back up then make the change to put the icing on the cake.

I see it as this. If the Lakers land a really good draft pick this year then things can change around in about 2 seasons after that. If the Lakers don't get a solid lottery pick this season it's going to be a very long rebuilding process.

L.A. Jazz
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
As long as the Lakers have MDA as coach no great player (LBJ, Durant, Westbrook, Love) will come to the Lakers. maybe lesser talent, but i dont want that. So first bring in a great coach and then go from there. So far if a great player wants to come to LA, he will consider the Clippers. they have the better coach and the better team.

dd24
01-15-2014, 04:59 PM
As long as the Lakers have MDA as coach no great player (LBJ, Durant, Westbrook, Love) will come to the Lakers. maybe lesser talent, but i dont want that. So first bring in a great coach and then go from there. So far if a great player wants to come to LA, he will consider the Clippers. they have the better coach and the better team.

That's fine. This season they need to lose and they aren't going to get a top tier FA. So let him coach this season and next (and this is coming from a guy who really doesn't like his coaching and wants him fired). Then after next season fire him and lure the top talent by telling them there will be a new coach and new system to fit their skillset. It will suck to have him as a coach, but the worse the Lakers are now the better set they are for the future. As bad as this team is, there could be a real shot at a guy like Randle or Parker.

longtime lurker
01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
Easy solution. Absorb Carlos Boozer's contract and 2 draft picks. Sign try to sneak sign Bledsoe or Monroe. Resign Marshall, Farmar and Johnson for the min. Try to trade for Love during the season or just sign him in free agency.

dd24
01-16-2014, 05:49 PM
Easy solution. Absorb Carlos Boozer's contract and 2 draft picks. Sign try to sneak sign Bledsoe or Monroe. Resign Marshall, Farmar and Johnson for the min. Try to trade for Love during the season or just sign him in free agency.

Who says Chicago wants to give up 2 draft picks? Also Phoenix has said they won't let Bledsoe walk. The Pistons have said they're going to keep Monroe around. The only reason they didn't sign him earlier is because they want to see what the market dictates (which is quite the opposite of what the Lakers did with Kobe.....). Monroe will get a contract very similiar to what Cousins did and Detroit is prepared to give him that. I don't see Minnesota trading Love. None of these scenarios seem likely.

Outside of being really bad this season and landing a guy like Parker or Randle I don't see how the Lakers are going to turn this around quickly. Especially with Jimmy running things. Of course, I never expected the Pau trade either...

Robster89
01-16-2014, 06:50 PM

The Boozer idea is not a bad one, though I don't think you'd get both Chicago picks, maybe just one.
They are going to amnesty him, so we could just claim him off waivers, or, as you suggest, absorb his horrible contract if they give us one of those picks.
I say do this:
1. Trade Pau this season to Charlotte for Gordon and the Blazer pick (which Charlotte owns). Help the Bobcats make a playoff push, helps us shed salary and save tax money and gets us a late first rounder.
2. Absorb Boozer after July 1. Saves the Bulls 16.8 mil and gives them a huge TE, gets us another first rounder (mid range). All depends on what we think that pick may be worth. But guys like Cauley-Stein, Harrison and Lavine may be available mid first round.
Boozers contract is only one more year, so it's off in time to pursue Love.

bladefd
01-16-2014, 10:24 PM
The Boozer idea is not a bad one, though I don't think you'd get both Chicago picks, maybe just one.
They are going to amnesty him, so we could just claim him off waivers, or, as you suggest, absorb his horrible contract if they give us one of those picks.
I say do this:
1. Trade Pau this season to Charlotte for Gordon and the Blazer pick (which Charlotte owns). Help the Bobcats make a playoff push, helps us shed salary and save tax money and gets us a late first rounder.
2. Absorb Boozer after July 1. Saves the Bulls 16.8 mil and gives them a huge TE, gets us another first rounder (mid range). All depends on what we think that pick may be worth. But guys like Cauley-Stein, Harrison and Lavine may be available mid first round.

You know what? That could work very well. Makes me a bit more optimistic.

Would Lakers be able to sign Love next summer if Boozer is on roster next year? I mean Lakers would have to give up Boozer's bird rights or trade him to get him off the books. If it's the former, Boozer won't agree to a one year deal to be in LA.

longtime lurker
01-18-2014, 04:47 PM
Who says Chicago wants to give up 2 draft picks? Also Phoenix has said they won't let Bledsoe walk. The Pistons have said they're going to keep Monroe around. The only reason they didn't sign him earlier is because they want to see what the market dictates (which is quite the opposite of what the Lakers did with Kobe.....). Monroe will get a contract very similiar to what Cousins did and Detroit is prepared to give him that. I don't see Minnesota trading Love. None of these scenarios seem likely.

Just look at the past trades that have been salary dumps. 2 first rounds picks is usually the going rate. It doesn't mean the picks have to be lottery picks, they good be mid round to end of the first round picks. On top of that Chicago saves a ton of money and clears cap space to sign a free agent. They have a tons of picks that they're owed from other teams. Teams always talk about keeping free agents, but Phoenix and Detroit could be players in the free agent game and that gives the Lakers a chance to swoop in and steal Monroe or Bledsoe. For example if Detroit is trying to negotiate space to sign Melo the Lakers could swoop in and offer Monroe a contract starting @ 14 million. Teams only have 3 days to match a restricted free agent so the key is catching a team by surprise. A team like Phoenix has also been rumored to be wiling to offer a max contract to Gordon Hayward. Lakers have nothing to lose by calling their bluff and offering Bledsoe a huge contract.

Outside of being really bad this season and landing a guy like Parker or Randle I don't see how the Lakers are going to turn this around quickly. Especially with Jimmy running things. Of course, I never expected the Pau trade either...

For all the shit that Jimmy gets the guy does know how to pull off big moves. If the Lakers signed Melo in the offseason a healthy Melo and Kobe would be guaranteed playoff contenders. The only problem with signing Melo is their ceiling becomes a 2nd round team. There's no question Love is leaving the Wolves, the only question is are they trading him or is he leaving as a free agent. Lakers would be in a position of power and I'd be fine with waiting on Love as a free agent while building up draft picks and some young studs.

I say do this:

Trading Boozer makes more sense for a team like Chicago that loves to save money. If they amnesty him they still owe him 17 million to not play. Makes no sense. It makes more sense to get ride of him for two future picks. I'd trade Pau for anything that nets us some draft picks. They can always be used in a trade for a big name player. Young, Pau, Meeks, Blake and Hill should all be traded for a picks.

dd24
01-18-2014, 05:28 PM
Just look at the past trades that have been salary dumps. 2 first rounds picks is usually the going rate. It doesn't mean the picks have to be lottery picks, they good be mid round to end of the first round picks. On top of that Chicago saves a ton of money and clears cap space to sign a free agent. They have a tons of picks that they're owed from other teams. Teams always talk about keeping free agents, but Phoenix and Detroit could be players in the free agent game and that gives the Lakers a chance to swoop in and steal Monroe or Bledsoe. For example if Detroit is trying to negotiate space to sign Melo the Lakers could swoop in and offer Monroe a contract starting @ 14 million. Teams only have 3 days to match a restricted free agent so the key is catching a team by surprise. A team like Phoenix has also been rumored to be wiling to offer a max contract to Gordon Hayward. Lakers have nothing to lose by calling their bluff and offering Bledsoe a huge contract.

For all the shit that Jimmy gets the guy does know how to pull off big moves. If the Lakers signed Melo in the offseason a healthy Melo and Kobe would be guaranteed playoff contenders. The only problem with signing Melo is their ceiling becomes a 2nd round team. There's no question Love is leaving the Wolves, the only question is are they trading him or is he leaving as a free agent. Lakers would be in a position of power and I'd be fine with waiting on Love as a free agent while building up draft picks and some young studs.

I think signing Melo would be a bit crazy. Plus Melo and Kobe doesn't automatically equal a playoff team. Who knows if Kobe will ever play a full season again. It definitely doesn't guarantee a 2nd round team either. Look at all the talent he had around him in Denver. That was argueably the most talented roster in the NBA at the time.

I'm not really sure if Detroit is interested in him either. Sure there's probably a part of Dumars that would want to fix the mistake of drafting Darko over Melo. The flipside of that is Melo has hated Detroit because of that. He's going to be a FA and he gets to pick where he wants to go. I highly doubt it's Detroit, especially with all of his big city marketing ambitions. He'd stay in NY first. I wouldn't say two first round picks is necessarily the going rate. When the Pistons got rid of Ben Gordons contract it only cost them one 1st rounder. I don't think teams are going to give up two first round picks in this years draft.

dd24
01-30-2014, 08:34 PM
The rumor right now is the Lakers might be willing to overpay for Eric Bledsoe. For me it depends on where they end up in the draft. I think it would be a waste if they end up drafting a guy like Exum or Smart. I'm not sure what overpay means, but I don't think he should be getting more than 10 million. He's been good, but I don't know if he'll ever be an all-star. Anyway around it, he's an upgrade. I'd like to see Kendall Marshall stay around next season too. I think he's been a good pickup at PG for the Lakers this season. It's really sounding like Bosh isn't going to head back to Miami next season. I wonder if the Lakers are thinking about him too. He's never been used the way he should be in Miami and I'm sure he could still put up really good numbers for another contract.

Al Thorton
01-31-2014, 05:30 AM
should do nothing but focus on 2015 if that's what it takes, no need to flimsy around with diddle doddle contracts in the interim.

tamaraw08
01-31-2014, 10:59 AM
The rumor right now is the Lakers might be willing to overpay for Eric Bledsoe. For me it depends on where they end up in the draft. I think it would be a waste if they end up drafting a guy like Exum or Smart. I'm not sure what overpay means, but I don't think he should be getting more than 10 million. He's been good, but I don't know if he'll ever be an all-star. Anyway around it, he's an upgrade. I'd like to see Kendall Marshall stay around next season too. I think he's been a good pickup at PG for the Lakers this season. It's really sounding like Bosh isn't going to head back to Miami next season. I wonder if the Lakers are thinking about him too. He's never been used the way he should be in Miami and I'm sure he could still put up really good numbers for another contract.
Yikes, overpaying a player who currently has a major injury. Sounds familiar. :facepalm
Why not use that money on Lowry?
Heck, Ill over 5 Mil on Rodney Stuckey, even more if he'll agree on a 1 yr contract.

dd24
01-31-2014, 12:43 PM
Yikes, overpaying a player who currently has a major injury. Sounds familiar. :facepalm
Why not use that money on Lowry?
Heck, Ill over 5 Mil on Rodney Stuckey, even more if he'll agree on a 1 yr contract.

I really like Stuckey. He's been an extremely good (and underrated) scorer when healthy. That's the problem with him too though.... the health issue. He's been hurt pretty much every season. When he's 100% he scores over 20 ppg easily. He's been the Pistons go to guy when they really need a bucket and the defense knows it. I think it'll take more than 5 million and he'll certainly sign more than a 1 year deal.

I think Lowry would be a good signing, at the right price of course. I'm really wondering how the minutes at PG are going to be distributed once Nash comes back. At this point in time, I think Kendall Marshall will probably play better than Nash but since Nash makes so much money I think he's going to eat up his minutes.

dd24
01-31-2014, 07:23 PM
I think with all the Kyrie Irving rumors the Lakers should try to go after him this summer. If he doesn't sign that extension I would think that says he wants out of Cleveland. I'm not sure what kind of package they could put together to try to pull that one off though. They'd probably have to give up their lottery pick but it would be worth it.

longtime lurker
01-31-2014, 07:58 PM
New plan on what I think the Lakers should do for the season.

1) If they draft a big man they should go after Melo (except on the off chance that hey draft Embiid) Offer Melo a contract starting at 18 million a season. Use the rest of the cap space to take on salary for draft picks. During the season trade the new drafted big, Nash's contract and expiring contracts they've acquired for Kevin Love. You'd have a core of Love, Melo and Kobe for the next 1.5 seasons and extra cap space when Kobe comes off the books. If Love is dead set on the Lakers signing Melo might entice him to force a trade to the Lakers and also deter Minnesota from trading him somewhere else since they can get something for him rather than nothing.

2) Plan two if we don't draft a big (ie Smart, Wiggins, Exum) or draft Embiid we stand pat and wait for love in 2015. Take on salary for draft picks and/or maybe make a run at Monroe. Only problem with this plan is that Minnesota might trade Love to another team, we would most likely suck again which is bad because Phoenix has our pick and it would take the draft pick some time to develop and Love would be signing onto a 3 year rebuilding project.

Al Thorton
02-01-2014, 04:57 AM
not melo, please not melo