PDA

View Full Version : Is Kevin Love a superstar ?

LeBron 06
01-13-2014, 03:56 PM
Is Kevin Love a superstar ?

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 03:57 PM
Absolutely not. His numbers are pedestrian, after all.

Milbuck
01-13-2014, 03:58 PM
I think he needs to be on a better franchise with a good culture. Somewhere that can maximize his strengths and hide his weaknesses. Somewhere like Milwaukee would be perfect for him

K Xerxes
01-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Depends on what you consider a 'superstar'.

I'd consider only James and Durant sure fire superstars. Paul has a good case.

If we're going to lower the bar, then sure you can consider Love one. Only thing still really lacking is his defense (which I consider very important for a big man), but he is around the top on offense.

navy
01-13-2014, 04:02 PM
No he's clearly not.

SuperStars are Lebron and Durant. Kevin Love is just a star to me. Maybe Chris Paul. Stephen Curry, Paul George, Lamarcus Aldridge are getting there.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 04:03 PM
No he's clearly not.

SuperStars are Lebron and Durant. Kevin Love is just a star to me. Maybe Chris Paul. Stephen Curry, Paul George, Lamarcus Aldridge are getting there.

Love is, unquestionably, better than them.

Milbuck
01-13-2014, 04:04 PM
No he's clearly not.

Agreed, Bron KD and CP3 are the real superstars, BKnight and Giannis should be on that list by the end of the season no doubt

AbeVigodaLive
01-13-2014, 04:04 PM
As noted... depends on the definition.

"Superstar" is very subjective. Maybe that's why lists are used so often on message boards, so there's less gray area and you can compare with better context.

navy
01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
I never denied that.

Although, I might disagree.

IncarceratedBob
01-13-2014, 04:05 PM
If anyone says that Paul george is a superstar then so is Love

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 04:06 PM
If anyone says that Paul george is a superstar then so is Love

:cheers:

Same with Curry or LMA.

Love is above all of them.

MidRange
01-13-2014, 04:07 PM
Has Love ever made the playoffs? I don't think he has. That's one of my personal requirements for being a "superstar".

215Philly
01-13-2014, 04:08 PM
How does Melo name Not get mentioned yet :wtf:

navy
01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
To be fair, Love's team has sucked miserably. I dont think he has gotten above .500.

navy
01-13-2014, 04:10 PM
How does Melo name Not get mentioned yet :wtf:

Forgot about him lol. Yeah, he's up there.

Rose'sACL
01-13-2014, 04:14 PM
Has Love ever made the playoffs? I don't think he has. That's one of my personal requirements for being a "superstar".
he would if he played in the east of this year. didn't bulls make playoffs with record of 30-52 and 38-44 when jordan was new to the league?

Swedish Chef
01-13-2014, 04:19 PM
Kefeen lufes impty stets. Bork Bork Bork!

MidRange
01-13-2014, 04:21 PM
he would if he played in the east of this year. didn't bulls make playoffs with record of 30-52 and 38-44 when jordan was new to the league?

Yeah, MJ, did make it to the playoffs with less than impressive records, that's true. Doesn't change the fact when he got there he had a few superstar performances. Love has yet to make the playoff and has yet been given the opportunity to perform on the stage where the superstar title is actually earned.

Dro
01-13-2014, 04:23 PM
Depends on what you consider a 'superstar'.

I'd consider only James and Durant sure fire superstars. Paul has a good case.

If we're going to lower the bar, then sure you can consider Love one. Only thing still really lacking is his defense (which I consider very important for a big man), but he is around the top on offense.

I agree with this...Id add also that since he doesn't post up enough, he doesn't draw double teams which is why he doesn't make his teammates better....Having said that, I still think he's a top 5 player in this league...

SexSymbol
01-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Love's not even top 10, how is that superstar material

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Love's not even top 10, how is that superstar material

List the 10. :oldlol:

Swedish Chef
01-13-2014, 04:35 PM

1. Junes Jerebku und Jeffffery Teylur
2. Scroob
3. Scroob
4. Scroob
5. Scroob
6. Scroob
7. Scroob
8. Scroob
9. Scroob
10. Scroob

Black and White
01-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Love is not better than LaMarcus. No way

Cone
01-13-2014, 04:40 PM
No, not at all. A stat padder who has no impact on the game is not a superstar. Even Rubio and Pekovic are more important to that team than Love.

Anthony Davis, LMA, and Dirk, are all better than KLove

Stop the overrating.

SexSymbol
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
LBJ, KD, CP3, PG, Duncan, Dirk, LA, Beard, Melo, Wade, Westbrook.
I would probably still put Dwight ahead, and Kobe for that matter, as the sample size wasn't enough to put him somewhere in the 20s already.
So we have what, 11-13 guys better than him, he has case over two of them max.

EDIT: Forgot curry, so definitely 12 better guys, and more honorable mentions :David Lee, Bosh, Griffin

Cold soul
01-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Nope, not at all. Love is little overrated who puts up pretty good numbers, but can't lead his team to playoffs.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 04:43 PM

Averages more points on better efficiency while destroying him on the boards, much better passer. Both are not traditional bigs and mostly offensive. There is no argument outside team wins.

Much better PER, better TS% while scoring more, etc

:biggums: @ this being a question

navy
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Team wins are important. If you switch Love and Lamarcus, would they have about the same records? Non rhetorical question, as I think they are about the same, but I think Ive seen more from Lamarcus this year. Biased as the trailblazers are actually a team where people including me watch.

SexSymbol
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Averages more points on better efficiency while destroying him on the boards, much better passer. Both are not traditional bigs and mostly offensive. There is no argument outside team wins.

Yes, that very good, but you forgot that you don't play basketball for stats. Every role player can have a 20 ppg season, but that won't lead the team anywhere.
So far Love is 0-6 to get to the playoffs, that's the definition of a loser. Lamarcus actually is a great offensive threat and a respectable defender, rarely chokes.

Black and White
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM

Hmmmmm, whats the team record? All I can remember is Love screwing games up in the clutch, he is a star, but not a superstar.

LeBron
Durant
CP3
Westbrook
Curry
Parker
LaMarcus
Dwight
Paul George

are all better than Love

FrobeShaw
So far Love is 0-6 to get to the playoffs, that's the definition of a loser. Lamarcus actually is a great offensive threat and a respectable defender, rarely chokes.

It's a team sport. Stop using team accomplishments when we're talking about individual players.

I'm not going to sidestep Love not bringing the best out of his squad, but don't try to use the accomplishments of the BLAZER ORGANIZATION to dictate that LMA is a better INDIVIDUAL PLAYER.

Also, that shit about any scrub can do 20 PPG seasons is the most asinine shit I've ever read regarding basketball that wasn't from a pure troll. Maybe you are trolling, who knows?

Rose'sACL
why ? give the reasons. is it because lma's team is winning and love's is not winning as much as blazers?
people forget lma pretty much said last season that he would leave portland because they were not winning. most nba fans were questioning his motivation to win.
Love is a better offensive players. LMA is a little better defensively and that is it. love is also the better rebounder.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 04:50 PM
Hmmmmm, whats the team record? All I can remember is Love screwing games up in the clutch, he is a star, but not a superstar.

So if his team won more games, he'd be a better individual player? You have zero arguments for LMA, otherwise.

Just in, T-Mac from 03 was not a top 10 player.

Wade from 09 was not a top 10 player.

Cone
01-13-2014, 04:54 PM
Yes, that very good, but you forgot that you don't play basketball for stats. Every role player can have a 20 ppg season, but that won't lead the team anywhere.

:applause:

He has a very solid cast the past couple years, especially this year. There is no reason to miss the playoffs AGAIN!

Its time to accept he is an all-star caliber player, not a star, and definitely not a superstar.

Boarder Patrol
01-13-2014, 04:58 PM
I think a superstar needs to make the playoffs. Love has a decent cast too - Rubio, Pek, Martin are all more than solid. Good coach too.

If he were a superstar Love's team wouldn't be 0-8 in close games. That's when a superstar takes over and wins you the game.

tragicbronson
01-13-2014, 04:58 PM
In my opinion he's not, you need to win to give people something to talk about and to start mentioning you when they are talking about superstars, he is a great player but he needs to show that he can get his team some Ws

Black and White
01-13-2014, 04:59 PM
So if his team won more games, he'd be a better individual player? You have zero arguments for LMA, otherwise.

You obv didn't read what I said, you ignored the 10 players I listed, I said Love is a star, I gave him that, but LMA is the main reason why his team is winning, he has put up performances this year that Love hasn't, remember his 30pts and 21rebs vs OKC? 31pts and 25rebs against Dwight and the Rockets?, Love hasn't pulled down over 20rebs this season, but he has had some good games.

Durant is putting up better numbers than LeBron but does that make Durant the better player? No.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 05:01 PM
You obv didn't read what I said, you ignored the 10 players I listed, I said Love is a star, I gave him that, but LMA is the main reason why his team is winning, he has put up performances this year that Love hasn't, remember his 30pts and 21rebs vs OKC? 31pts and 25rebs against Dwight and the Rockets?, Love hasn't pulled down over 20rebs this season, but he has had some good games.

Durant is putting up better numbers than LeBron but does that make Durant the better player? No.

What the hell does that matter when he's averaging more than 2 boards than him for the season? You're grasping. :biggums:

Love had better games than the ones you mentioned. :biggums:

Love has been better than LMA. In fact, no one ever considered this an argument until this season when Portland started winning.

Cone

Dont compare them.

Wade is a legit superstar who has won a ring, and went to the playoffs several times.

Love is a stat padding, no defense, chucker who never had a season over 30 wins.

SexSymbol
It's a team sport. Stop using team accomplishments when we're talking about individual players.

I'm not going to sidestep Love not bringing the best out of his squad, but don't try to use the accomplishments of the BLAZER ORGANIZATION to dictate that LMA is a better INDIVIDUAL PLAYER.

Also, that shit about any scrub can do 20 PPG seasons is the most asinine shit I've ever read regarding basketball that wasn't from a pure troll. Maybe you are trolling, who knows?
Man how i hate guys like this, nothing personal obviously, it's just the bullshit you spit and the confidence you have while spitting it. Do you know why T-Mac had those incredible stats? BECAUSE their teams ****ing sucked, if you have 30-7-6 on a terrible team, and the other guy is doing 27-5-5 on a stacked one, you have no argument against that guy before you start winning shit.
When we're ranking peaks by stats, that's cool, you could say that Love has/will have better peak that Lamarcus, but don't even bring that better player bullshit until Love does shit in the playoffs.

TL;DR You have better stats when you're playing on a shitty team. That's why Kobe would be a 30 ppg career scorer or close to it if not for having Shaq on his team and Michael Jordan would be 33+ ppg career scorer if Pippen was traded before stepping on the court with a Bulls jersey.

TL;DR learn some basketball before spitting bullshit, anybody with a clue will make fun of you, friendly reminder

Black and White
01-13-2014, 05:03 PM
What the hell does that matter when he's averaging more than 2 boards than him for the season? You're grasping. :biggums:

Love had better games than the ones you mentioned. :biggums:

Love has been better than LMA. In fact, no one ever considered this an argument until this season when Portland started winning.

Lol, as I said, Durant is averaging better numbers than LeBron this season, but is he better than LeBron? No.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 05:07 PM

You're attacking me while basing the worth of players on how well their teams do.

You have no argument for LMA as the individual, just LMA + Blazers. Ironic that you talk about intelligence or knowledge.

navy
01-13-2014, 05:08 PM
His point was Stats dont tell the whole story. A good player on a bad team can put up better stats then a great player on a good team by nature of usage alone.

SexSymbol
01-13-2014, 05:10 PM
You're attacking me while basing the worth of players on how well their teams do.

You have no argument for LMA as the individual, just LMA + Blazers. Ironic that you talk about intelligence or knowledge.

I actually do, and I have mentioned it before in this thread briefly.
Lamarcus is a better, more consistent offensive weapon, a similar rebounder, respectable defensive player, MUCH better leader, MUCH better clutch player.
I don't see a case for Love besides the stats, and three point shooting. Although LA thriumps Love in mid-range shooting too so that cancels each other out.
Oh and he's taller and quicker with the ball.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 05:11 PM
His point was Stats dont tell the whole story. A good player on a bad team can put up better stats then a great player on a good team by nature of usage alone.

How is that the case here? LMA had bad teams. His stats never approached Love.

navy
01-13-2014, 05:12 PM
How is that the case here? LMA had bad teams. His stats never approached Love.

We arent talking about the past.

bdreason
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
LeBron, KD, and CP3 are the only Superstars in the NBA.

SexSymbol
01-13-2014, 05:14 PM
He kept his stats basically the same or improved in some areas while the team improved significantly.
If Love ever will be on a good to great team and keeps his stats the same as they are right now, I will see a case for him being better.
For now - it's not even close

Black and White
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM

The word "Superstar" gets thrown around too much, its a select few players only, it's LeBron and Durant, then fringe superstars are like CP3 and George.

Mass Debator
01-13-2014, 05:16 PM
Superstars to me are famous for being great or were great in recent memory. Lebron, Kobe, Durant, CP3, D Wade, Carmelo, D Rose, Westbrook, and D12. They are the face of the NBA.

There are others who are great at being famous. See Blake and Kyrie.

Love falls under great players who are on the fence of super-stardom. They are relying on things to go right to get their name universally recognized. They are young and capable. I'm putting him with Rondo, Harden, Curry, George, etc. Rondo might as well already be a superstar, but I think everyone wants to see him lead his own team. Harden needs to perform in the playoffs consistently but may already be a superstar in some eyes. Curry and George need another year in the playoffs to prove they're worthy of the superstar status. LMA, Parker, and D Will fall under this too. It may be too late for Parker to jump into super-stardom though.

Next group are the typical all-stars who hope they make the cut each year.

FrobeShaw
01-13-2014, 05:17 PM

But we are talking about hypotheticals?

Whatever supports the agenda, I guess.

East_Stone_Ya
01-13-2014, 05:19 PM

:roll:

navy
01-13-2014, 05:21 PM
But we are talking about hypotheticals?

Whatever supports the agenda, I guess.
There's no agenda here. I dont care about either player....

DMAVS41
01-13-2014, 06:21 PM
No way.

Because it's a legit question as to who you would want going into a playoff series between Love...and current Duncan and Dirk. So he's not a superstar yet.

And forget the Dirk part so we don't derail the thread.

Anyone really going to say that Love is for sure better than Duncan? That the Spurs would be better with Love instead of Duncan? Or that the Wolves would be worse with Duncan instead of Love?

I don't see it. I just see a guy that is really good and a for sure all-star player, but not a superstar at all yet.

navy
01-13-2014, 06:22 PM
Duncan and Dirk arent superstars anymore if that was what you were implying.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Is Kevin Love a superstar ?

lol no

has he taken his team to playoffs? no
has he won anny playoff series? no

has he won anything? no

so

MellowYellow
01-13-2014, 06:27 PM

:biggums: CP3 does not deserve to be a Superstar if some other guys like Melo and K-love aren't superstars. For all of respect he gets, he hasn't really done much to deserve it aside from gaudy assist numbers and supreme flopping.

BigMacAttack
01-13-2014, 06:31 PM
lol no

has he taken his team to playoffs? no
has he won anny playoff series? no

has he won anything? no

so

This.

IncarceratedBob
01-13-2014, 06:35 PM
A superstar has to be a star off the court too, he needs to be box office. Paul George won't ever be that, he has no personality and his game is boring. He's just a boring guy.

navy
01-13-2014, 06:38 PM
A superstar has to be a star off the court too, he needs to be box office. Paul George won't ever be that, he has no personality and his game is boring. He's just a boring guy.
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2675477/pgHOF_medium.gif

SexSymbol
01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Translation : He plays for the pacers

ChuckOakley
01-13-2014, 06:47 PM
When I think of superstars I think of MVP candidates.

MVP's will always come from a team with a top record.

Considering Love has never been the to the playoffs and his team is .500 despite being healthy, Pekovic playing well, Martin playing well and Love putting up gaudy stats, I think it's safe to say he's not an MVP candidate, which in my mind means he's not a superstar either.

Superstars/MVP Candidates
LBJ
Durant
CP3
George

Soon A.Davis.

Howard was one of those players too in Orlando. He was able to lead his team to a top record and the Finals.

Bandito
01-13-2014, 09:44 PM
:biggums: CP3 does not deserve to be a Superstar if some other guys like Melo and K-love aren't superstars. For all of respect he gets, he hasn't really done much to deserve it aside from gaudy assist numbers and supreme flopping.
Agreed.

Dr.J4ever
01-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Superstar? No, because he hasn't achieved what he is supposed to do: WIN. You are not a superstar until you achieve what you were meant to do on the court---and that is to win more games than you lose and at the every least go deep in the Playoffs.

Points, boards, and assists are great, but all of those are just tools for any player in order to win.

SCfor3
01-14-2014, 06:41 AM
No, but Stephen Curry is.

Brokenbeat
01-14-2014, 06:44 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2675477/pgHOF_medium.gif

:bowdown:

Milbuck
01-14-2014, 06:45 AM
No but I'll tell you what, if he comes down to Milwaukee he can be Giannis's Pippen.

East_Stone_Ya
01-14-2014, 06:50 AM
No but I'll tell you what, if he comes down to Milwaukee he can be Giannis's Pippen.

what? :biggums:

Milbuck
01-14-2014, 06:53 AM
what? :biggums:

When Love wins 7 chips with us, you're still gonna question his superstar status? Why such a high standard just for him? If Knight's a superstar then Love has to be one too. Gotta stay consistent with the facts.

SCfor3
01-14-2014, 06:54 AM
When Love wins 7 chips with us, you're still gonna question his superstar status? Why such a high standard just for him? If Knight's a superstar then Love has to be one too. Gotta stay consistent with the facts.
This troll isn't funny at all. :facepalm

RightToCensor
01-14-2014, 06:56 AM
Love has a better squad than Dwight's ORL team. Yet can't even sniff the playoffs.

JohnFreeman
01-14-2014, 07:00 AM

Good post from 2014!

CP3 is overrated. Constantly comes up short in the playoffs. How he is in the conversation with Magic is laughable to say the least :facepalm

RoTM
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
If the T-Wolves were in the East.

J Shuttlesworth
01-28-2015, 05:21 AM
:wtf:

aj1987
01-28-2015, 05:57 AM
:wtf:
This thread was from a year ago. Love is struggling on this team with multiple players who take a bunch of shots.