PDA

View Full Version : In b4 Embiid is mediocre/not a star in the NBA

Connor B
01-14-2014, 01:44 AM
Being a good center in college and being a good center in the NBA are worlds apart. Ya'll have made this kid seem like the next Robinson, Oden, etc. I agree he is very good at Kansas, but anyone expecting him to be some sort of bonafide franchise player is just taking it way too far. He is not the next Duncan or Shaq, he isn't going to be an all-star right out the gate. Likely he is gonna be a Hibbert type of guy who needs to be improved. I can see him being an all-star in his mid twenties maybe, but his stats/impact right now are "inflated" cause he is in college.

I think it is worth taking him first because good, healthy big men are kinda rare, but he won't be a real star as quickly as Jabari will be (and I guess Wiggins too).

FrobeShaw
01-14-2014, 01:47 AM
Parker stans are upset their boy's shine is somewhat dwindling the presence of two Kansas kids.

chips93
01-14-2014, 02:01 AM
Being a good center in college and being a good center in the NBA are worlds apart. Ya'll have made this kid seem like the next Robinson, Oden, etc. I agree he is very good at Kansas, but anyone expecting him to be some sort of bonafide franchise player is just taking it way too far. He is not the next Duncan or Shaq, he isn't going to be an all-star right out the gate. Likely he is gonna be a Hibbert type of guy who needs to be improved. I can see him being an all-star in his mid twenties maybe, but his stats/impact right now are "inflated" cause he is in college.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

KendrickPerkins
01-14-2014, 02:03 AM
Connor's been wrong with just about every thread he's made on here, take this one with a grain a salt.

cos88
01-14-2014, 02:06 AM
10.5 and 7.4 aren't great numbers but the potential is there. it would be a huge shock if anybody takes him before wiggins and parker.

embiid needs years before he can be a franchise player that can win you games like duncan did

Will10
01-14-2014, 02:13 AM
With a guy like him you don't really look at stats as much as you would with others he's only been playing basketball for 4 years with big men you want to see if they have good hands and footwork and if they run smoothly Embiid has all three and is more developed offensively than defensively right now which is good

Myth
01-14-2014, 02:17 AM
I don't watch much college hoops, but I caught a couple minutes today of the Kansas game (not knowing anything about Embiid, including not knowing what team he was on) and saw a sequence of defense that was very impressive. Massive block, kept on a guard on the perimeter and then forced him into an ugly miss when he tried driving for a layup on him. It was a very impressive sequence. I don't want to draw too much conclusions, but I can see why the hype is there.

KG215
01-14-2014, 02:30 AM
I think his most impressive attribute right now (based on the three or four Kansas games I've seen this year) is his agility and mobility for a 7'0" center. He's still pretty raw offensively, but I do think his floor could be as a very good to great defensive anchor in his prime. Excellent agility and mobility with a 7'5" wingspan is something you can't teach. I can't honestly say I've paid enough attention when I've watched to know how sound and disciplined he is on defense and all the other things that go into being a great defensive anchor, but he does have the makeup of a player with that type of "worst case scenario" potential.

Wavves
01-14-2014, 02:32 AM
Anyone who brings up his stats are a ****ing moron. Look at how much minutes he has played and then Look at his production while he's on the floor

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 02:37 AM
The guy already has a post game that's better than Howard's so it's safe to say he'll at be an All-Star AT LEAST. He's already shown huge improvement across the board in such a short time.

FrobeShaw
01-14-2014, 02:39 AM
The guy already has a post game that's better than Howard's so it's safe to say he'll at be an All-Star AT LEAST. .
:biggums:

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 02:43 AM
:biggums:

I know intelligence isn't a trait that you possess but can you actually tell me what post moves Dwight Howard has besides a inconsistent running hook?

FrobeShaw
01-14-2014, 02:46 AM
I know intelligence isn't a trait that you possess but can you actually tell me what post moves Dwight Howard has besides a inconsistent running hook?

You're a tool if you think that was what was wrong with your post. :roll:

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 02:53 AM
You're a tool if you think that was what was wrong with your post. :roll:

:facepalm

Which part, dimwit? The All-Star bit? Roy Hibbert was named an All-Star for putting up 12/9. Considering how fast Embiid is improving along with his enormous potential, it's fair to say that it is almost a guarantee he will be an All-Star.

Or was it the improvement bit? Are you honestly going to tell me he hasn't improved at an incredible rate? Oh, I forgot. You wouldn't know that because the only basketball you watch is the box scores from Heat games.

Go make a few more alts, little boy.

Milbuck
01-14-2014, 02:54 AM
I think his most impressive attribute right now (based on the three or four Kansas games I've seen this year) is his agility and mobility for a 7'0" center. He's still pretty raw offensively, but I do think his floor could be as a very good to great defensive anchor in his prime. Excellent agility and mobility with a 7'5" wingspan is something you can't teach. I can't honestly say I've paid enough attention when I've watched to know how sound and disciplined he is on defense and all the other things that go into being a great defensive anchor, but he does have the makeup of a player with that type of "worst case scenario" potential.

How is he raw offensively? He's more polished in the low post than probably 2/3 of the centers in the NBA right now. In fact the biggest reason his hype is his advanced offensive arsenal relative to his age.

FrobeShaw
01-14-2014, 02:55 AM

Which part, dimwit? The All-Star bit? Roy Hibbert was named an All-Star for putting up 12/9. Considering how fast Embiid is improving along with his enormous potential, it's fair to say that it is almost a guarantee he will be an All-Star.

Or was it the improvement bit? Are you honestly going to tell me he hasn't improved at an incredible rate? Oh, I forgot. You wouldn't know that because the only basketball you watch is the box scores from Heat games.

Go make a few more alts, little boy.

You really think he's a guaranteed all-star just because he's shown a bigger post game than Howard? Keep writing paragraphs that continue to highlight your lunacy and complete lack of understanding in basketball and basic common sense.

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 03:04 AM
You really think he's a guaranteed all-star just because he's shown a bigger post game than Howard? Keep writing paragraphs that continue to highlight your lunacy and complete lack of understanding in basketball and basic common sense.

Jeez you truly are a fcking idiot. Cherry-picking at its finest. I notice you didn't quote the entire comment.

He's already shown huge improvement across the board in such a short time.

Not to mention I mentioned his enormous potential but it's only natural you would miss conveniently miss that.

You take cherry-picking to a new level. Please castrate yourself so you can't spread your stupidity. Pathetic alt.

FrobeShaw
01-14-2014, 03:06 AM

Jeez you truly are a fcking idiot. Cherry-picking at its finest. I notice you didn't quote the entire comment.

Not to mention I mentioned his enormous potential but it's only natural you would miss conveniently miss that.

You take cherry-picking to a new level. Please castrate yourself so you can't spread your stupidity. Pathetic alt.

Cherry-picking?

You said something stupid and then defended it and now you're crying because it's still amazingly dumb and showcased your complete lack of understanding. :applause:

bbbbuut alllltttt

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Cherry-picking?

You said something stupid and then defended it and now you're crying because it's still amazingly dumb and showcased your complete lack of understanding. :applause:

bbbbuut alllltttt

:wtf:

Yes, cherry-picking. You blatantly ignored the second part of the post to suit your agenda then went on to ignore the rest of my posts.

It's quite clear now that I'm dealing with someone who has an IQ in the double digits. You clearly have no intention of discussing basketball without trying to troll. Bye, alt.

FrobeShaw
01-14-2014, 03:16 AM
:wtf:

Yes, cherry-picking. You blatantly ignored the second part of the post to suit your agenda then went on to ignore the rest of my posts.

It's quite clear now that I'm dealing with someone who has an IQ in the double digits. You clearly have no intention of discussing basketball without trying to troll. Bye, alt.

You couldn't save yourself from mentioning that line, could you? You're so predictable and still crying. Wow. :roll:

TheWeeknd
01-14-2014, 03:16 AM
i will take andrew harrison number one if i was the cavs

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 03:18 AM
You couldn't save yourself from mentioning that line, could you? You're so predictable and still crying. Wow. :roll:

Translation for the post above: I've been exposed as a cherry-picking troll who lacks the testicular fortitude to post with my main account.

Happy to help. :cheers:

plowking
01-14-2014, 03:34 AM
I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but enough I guess, but he doesn't look to be a great rebounder for someone his size and mobility.

Milbuck
01-14-2014, 03:44 AM
I haven't watched a whole lot of him, but enough I guess, but he doesn't look to be a great rebounder for someone his size and mobility.

21 mpg. He's getting 12.2 rebounds per 36. He's solid but you're right he probably could do a bit more

Combat Wombat
01-14-2014, 03:45 AM

With the minutes he's averaging, 7 isn't bad but he'll get much better.

BoutPractice
01-14-2014, 05:06 AM
But it's not about whether his college production will translate. He's not tearing up college by any means right now, just being very productive. The hype is coming from something much more solid: the fact that each game, he shows evidence of skills that are rare for a 7 foot center even in the NBA.

Wavves
01-14-2014, 05:51 AM
But it's not about whether his college production will translate. He's not tearing up college by any means right now, just being very productive. The hype is coming from something much more solid: the fact that each game, he shows evidence of skills that are rare for a 7 foot center even in the NBA.
Great post.

Not only that, but he has shown an improvement in his game in each and every game he has played so far. Seems like we are seeing a new post move every time every time he plays.

IGOTGAME
01-14-2014, 06:09 AM
How is he raw offensively? He's more polished in the low post than probably 2/3 of the centers in the NBA right now. In fact the biggest reason his hype is his advanced offensive arsenal relative to his age.
He read it somewhere so it must be true. There is a whole lot of talk about Embiid being raw offensively because he is from Cameroon.

shallehalle
01-14-2014, 07:14 AM
I truly believe he should stay in college one more year or two just to develop his skills and become a natural leader of his team.

If you look at all great centers, they all played college basketball for 3-4 years. Last time I checked nowadays every player wants to get the pay check and get in the league straight from highschool, so that he can brag on their social networks that they are in the NBA instead of developing their skills properly.

Nick Young
01-14-2014, 07:57 AM
wtf? Just because he's African doesn't mean he's raw offensively. He would probably be a top 6 center in the NBA skillwise if her were to enter the league right now, that's how polished he is.

He has a much better and fluent post game then someone like D12 for example.

Im Still Ballin
01-14-2014, 09:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QgrqCk_-2w

thoughts?

retaxis
01-14-2014, 09:09 AM
on avg a guard needs 2-3 yrs to adapt to NBA (become all-star/super star) where as a big man normally needs 3-4 years.

retaxis
01-14-2014, 09:13 AM
wtf? Just because he's African doesn't mean he's raw offensively. He would probably be a top 6 center in the NBA skillwise if her were to enter the league right now, that's how polished he is.

He has a much better and fluent post game then someone like D12 for example.
What the hell? :rolleyes: :facepalm

Wiggins23
01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
bust, unlike wiggins parker and randle

ImKobe
01-14-2014, 09:39 AM
next Hakeem in the making

Both 7'0 250 pounds, Embiid already has most moves down and he's a very good defender

Too bad he's probably not going to the league this year based on his lack of experience. Lakers would have the chance to get him if he did though.

Nick Young
01-14-2014, 09:42 AM
everyone keeps mistakenly calling him raw, even though he has one of the most polished offensive games in college ball. It's likely do to a dumb stereotype from the average fan who doesnt watch him working against him because where he's from.

ImKobe
01-14-2014, 09:48 AM
on avg a guard needs 2-3 yrs to adapt to NBA (become all-star/super star) where as a big man normally needs 3-4 years.

Russell,Wilt,Hakeem,Kareem,Unseld,Robison,Ewing,Sh aq,Duncan,Mutombo(peaked in his first year) were all great in their first 1-2 years in the league, name me an all-time great center that took 3-4 years to become an all-star/superstar type of a player. Davis and Boogie both became all-star caliber centers in their 2nd year.

Howard took 1-2 years. Chandler is the only one I can think of right now who became good later in his career.

Based on the fact that all the great Centers were already good/great in their 1st/2nd season, I don't think a big needs 3-4 years to become an all-star/superstar. At least not normally.

D-FENS
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Cherry-picking?

bbbbuut alllltttt

Way to get banned already. You're giving us Jan 2014 people a bad name.

D-FENS
01-14-2014, 11:00 AM

Nick Young is right. He's a very skilled center

Basketbolero
01-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Am I the only one who is slowly being disappointed by the 2014 draft class?
Wiggins has been underwhelming, far from what he as said he would be before the season started. I know college ball doesn't relly suit his game as much as the NBA does but still, I see important flaws in his game for someone that was considered a surefire superstar by many.

Parker has been amazing for the last 12 months or so (HS + start of college season) but he has not looked well on his last 5 games so we will see how he looks towards the end of the season.

Embiid is looking very good, not sure about a star but definitely a game changer on defense with an at least above average offensive game for the center position, with potential to be a good scorer too.

Only 2 weeks ago people were mentioning how big of a risk was taking him in the top 3 but to be honest guys like Randle or Gordon are more of a risk to me.

With what I have seen from Embiid already I am confident he will not bust.

RoTM
01-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I truly believe he should stay in college one more year or two just to develop his skills and become a natural leader of his team.

If you look at all great centers, they all played college basketball for 3-4 years. Last time I checked nowadays every player wants to get the pay check and get in the league straight from highschool, so that he can brag on their social networks that they are in the NBA instead of developing their skills properly.

There's nothing skillwise he could get from college that he couldn't from NBA pro coaches.

everyone keeps mistakenly calling him raw, even though he has one of the most polished offensive games in college ball. It's likely do to a dumb stereotype from the average fan who doesnt watch him working against him because where he's from.

It has more to do with the playing for only three years thing. I don't think he's unskilled at all, but I wouldn't ignore the argument. Biyombo for instance looked capable in Europe.

ImKobe
01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
There's nothing skillwise he could get from college that he couldn't from NBA pro coaches.

It has more to do with the playing for only three years thing. I don't think he's unskilled at all, but I wouldn't ignore the argument. Biyombo for instance looked capable in Europe.

He's ready to play in the NBA. It doesn't matter how many years you've played if you're good. He can learn even more from NBA big man coaches and teammates.

mr.big35
01-14-2014, 12:08 PM

Look at Hibbert he played around four years in college and it took him while to get better in the NBA. He might be the next Hashim Thabeeth for all we know/

IGOTGAME
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Look at Hibbert he played around four years in college and it took him while to get better in the NBA. He might be the next Hashim Thabeeth for all we know/

Hibbert was just fat and slow in college and he needed the time to become competitive athletically. Embiid doesnt have those issues. He will need a couple of years to get use to it but that can be said of a lot of prospects.

robert de niro
01-14-2014, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QgrqCk_-2w

thoughts?
dude travelled twice but still better than 90% centers in the nba

Collie
01-14-2014, 12:48 PM
Russell,Wilt,Hakeem,Kareem,Unseld,Robison,Ewing,Sh aq,Duncan,Mutombo(peaked in his first year) were all great in their first 1-2 years in the league, name me an all-time great center that took 3-4 years to become an all-star/superstar type of a player. Davis and Boogie both became all-star caliber centers in their 2nd year.

Howard took 1-2 years. Chandler is the only one I can think of right now who became good later in his career.

Based on the fact that all the great Centers were already good/great in their 1st/2nd season, I don't think a big needs 3-4 years to become an all-star/superstar. At least not normally.

Jermaine took some years to become a star, and Ben Wallace was a late bloomer but yeah, generally big men come in and have an impact right away if they were destined for stardom.