PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Bennett rookie PER compared to other recent #1 picks:

CavaliersFTW
01-14-2014, 11:33 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd9Q0PwCAAAnFju.jpg

:facepalm

navy
01-14-2014, 11:35 PM
Weak Draft and they chose the weakest player.

JohnFreeman
01-14-2014, 11:36 PM
Should have taken Oladipo

IncarceratedBob
01-14-2014, 11:36 PM
It really was a shit draft

coin24
01-14-2014, 11:37 PM
Epic fail on the first pick:applause: Dont worry LeBron will come home:oldlol:

JohnFreeman
01-14-2014, 11:38 PM
Epic fail on the first pick:applause: Dont worry LeBron will come home:oldlol:

They wanted Bennett to be LeBron 2.0 so badly :oldlol:

MP.Trey
01-14-2014, 11:39 PM
Well to be fair he hasn't had 1/10th of the burn most of the top players had on that list, but yeah he really isn't looking good so far. What more is there to say about it as this point?

navy
01-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Well to be fair he hasn't had 1/10th of the burn most of the top players had on that list, but yeah he really isn't looking good so far. What more is there to say about it as this point?

He hasnt played because he sucks. Its not like the cavs are a winning team.

MP.Trey
01-14-2014, 11:40 PM
Who the f*ck realistically wanted that? We knew from the start TT is our guy at Power Forward and that Bennett would be a reserve for at least this season. Where you getting these impressions from? :oldlol:

CavaliersFTW
01-14-2014, 11:41 PM
Who the f*ck realistically wanted that? We knew from the start TT is our guy at Power Forward and that Bennett would be a reserve for at least this season. Where you getting these impressions from? :oldlol:
All those countless articles printed about Cavs searching for a Lebron 2.0 and finding it when they scouted Bennett DUH! :hammerhead:

moe94

Why would you even draft a guy guaranteed to start under TT as your number 1 pick? Did you think he'd randomly evolve into Barkley?

Brokenbeat

Cavs should be banned from the lottery for at least 5 years based on their recent picks, sans Kyrie. Morons.

At least Chicago will know what to do with them. Watch Deng leave in the offseason too, lol.

Draz
01-14-2014, 11:44 PM
I'm curious. If any Cav fans can confirm this for me. Does Bennette get boo'd or mocked in Cleveland or what?

MP.Trey
01-14-2014, 11:45 PM
He hasnt played because he sucks. Its not like the cavs are a winning team.
Partly because of lack of skillset, partly because of coming in out of shape, and I'm sure being the number 1 pick and barely getting any playing time is effecting his confidence. He's weak minded right now, his body language is weak after a mistake because he knows he's going to be immediately pulled. He hasn't had a chance to work out the kinks yet like practically every other player did on that list.

I don't like his fit on this team and really would have preferred to trade the pick, but we got Bennett and we have to do the best with what we got. If he was given more time, there is no saying he would look any better, but I'm sure the PER would at least go to 5 or 6 or something. :lol

MP.Trey
01-14-2014, 11:47 PM
Why would you even draft a guy guaranteed to start under TT as your number 1 pick? Did you think he'd randomly evolve into Barkley?
I don't know. I guess we believed he was the most NBA ready prospect. (Lmao @ that). Like I said, I would have rather traded the pick but there wasn't many options that would've turned out too much more beneficial with who was being considered at 1 it doesn't look like so far. Dipo looks aight but we have Waiters and a ton of other guards already, it wouldn't make sense at all with our roster.

B-Low
01-14-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm curious. If any Cav fans can confirm this for me. Does Bennette get boo'd or mocked in Cleveland or what?

Nah honestly I think a lot of casual fans probably don't even remember he's on the team. Truthfully unless people specifically mention him, I forget about him all the time.

It'd be one thing if he was playing significant minutes and actually screwing up out there. THEN people would boo him. But at this point it's kinda like he doesn't even exist in most people's eyes. If you bring him up to most non-hardcore fans, they'll ask who he is.

GOBB
01-14-2014, 11:56 PM
If Bennett played for the Sixers he wouldn't prove he was worth the #1 but he wouldnt get nearly bashed as much as he does now. A stress free environment albeit demanding. He would be able to gain confidence, fail/struggle without being DNP, buried in the bench or yanked instantly. How he pans out? Unsure.

Would I want him? Not really.

Illuminati
01-14-2014, 11:57 PM
Truly pathetic wow. Send his ass to the d-league.

FaceSmack
01-15-2014, 12:03 AM
Why is it everytime I watch Bennett play, it's like 40% 3 point chucks (that don't go in) and 60% struggling layups?

Dude's slowly becoming the laughing stock of the NBA

oarabbus
01-15-2014, 12:07 AM
It really was a shit draft

Was it really that bad? MCW, Oladipo, Trey Burke, Hardaway Jr. and potential superstar Giannis Antetokonumpo are all looking like they will be pretty damn good in a few years. Then you have C. Zeller, Steven Adams, and Matthew Dellavedova who could also become very solid rotation players in some years' time. Yeah it isn't an insanely stacked draft but was it really THAT bad? :confusedshrug:

edit: there's more: Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, and Dennis Schroeder, Shane Larkin, Tony Snell... y'all be trippin about this draft, just because Cleveland made the worst possible choice, see how these guys I mentioned are doing in 2-3 years.

El Gato Negro
01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
@op why don't you show us the cavs undrafted rookie dellys per compared to the rest of this draft class. then you can see how week this draft really was. edit never mind his per went way down prolly do to inconsistent playing time. a couple of weeks ago he had a higher per than anyone in this class.

SpecialQue
01-15-2014, 12:36 AM
Goddamn. He really is the worst #1 pick of all time. :eek:

edrick
01-15-2014, 12:38 AM
he has been awful. Such a bust.

Collie
01-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Say what you will about Oden, but when he was on the court, he was extremely productive in limited minutes.

Heavincent
01-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Historic year for Mr. Bennett :applause:

It's an honor and a privilege to watch him play.

Will10
01-15-2014, 12:47 AM
he hasn't gotten into the game tonight against the Lakers. Should probably give him a stint in the d league try and give him some confidence

RoseCity07
01-15-2014, 12:51 AM
I called it a long time ago too.:oldlol: How could Cleveland fans not see it?

Look at guys like Bennett: Derrick Williams, Thomas Robinson, Kenneth Faried, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes.

In the case of Williams and Robinson you have busts. The other players all have fundamental skills. They don't rely on being super athletic. What you will notice is none of the players I listed are number 1 pick good. Picking a player who is an undersized big has the most probability of failure because most big men have been depending on their height advantage to make it.

The Cavs management was incapable of using very simple logic. If the guy isn't 6-10 with a great wingspan he's not going to be a star power forward. Go ahead and throw out the Barkley exception but he was highly skilled.

How many undersize PF are worth of a number 1 pick in the history of the game? Very few. Bill Russell and Charles Barkley. That's it.

R.I.P.
01-15-2014, 12:52 AM

Well they don

CavaliersFTW
01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
I called it a long time ago too.:oldlol: How could Cleveland fans not see it?

Look at guys like Bennett: Derrick Williams, Thomas Robinson, Kenneth Faried, Carl Landry, Chuck Hayes.

In the case of Williams and Robinson you have busts. The other players all have fundamental skills. They don't rely on being super athletic. What you will notice is none of the players I listed are number 1 pick good. Picking a player who is an undersized big has the most probability of failure because most big men have been depending on their height advantage to make it.

The Cavs management was incapable of using very simple logic. If the guy isn't 6-10 with a great wingspan he's not going to be a star power forward. Go ahead and throw out the Barkley exception but he was highly skilled.

How many undersize PF are worth of a number 1 pick in the history of the game? Very few. Bill Russell and Charles Barkley. That's it.
Wtf!? Skill isn't what separated Barkley from other power forwards anymore than it is what separated Shaq from other centers.

Height is just a number, there are so many other variables that go into what makes a player capable of playing the game. I'm not even defending Bennett here, but your opinion that 6-10 with wingspan is some sort of prerequisite to the PF position is completely off base. Most PF's in the league aren't even 6-10, and the ones that are that tall don't necessarily even need a huge wingspan. And wtf are you bringing up Bill Russell about? He was a center for starters, and he wasn't undersized at anything the guy was 6-10 without shoes with a 7-4 wingspan. That is the same height as Hakeem Olajuwon or Patrick Ewing, and much taller than many other successful centers that have come and gone. None of your "logic" is logical.

Smook A.
01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Cavs should have honestly taken Giannis Antetokounmpo. He has great potential. Only 19 years old

RoseCity07
01-15-2014, 01:24 AM
Wtf!? Skill isn't what separated Barkley from other power forwards anymore than it is what separated Shaq from other centers.

Height is just a number, there are so many other variables that go into what makes a player capable of playing the game. I'm not even defending Bennett here, but you're opinion that 6-10 with wingspan is some sort of prerequisite to the PF position is completely off base. Most PF's in the league aren't even 6-10, and the ones that are that tall don't necessarily even need a huge wingspan.

I said for a PF to be worthy of a number 1 pick. It's usually a guy around 6-10 and good wingspan. Look at Horford and Favors. Even though Favors is kind of raw he can play because he has the length to make a difference. If you aren't supremely skilled at the PF position you better make up for it with height.

SpecialQue
01-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Cavs should have honestly taken Giannis Antetokounmpo. He has great potential. Only 19 years old

And still growing! :eek:

Euroleague's going to come in here and start bitching now.

I<3NBA
01-15-2014, 04:59 AM
shitty city, shitty front office, shitty ownership. the NBA should just blow up this team or give the franchise to Seattle.

miggyme1
01-15-2014, 05:02 AM
Was it really that bad? MCW, Oladipo, Trey Burke, Hardaway Jr. and potential superstar Giannis Antetokonumpo are all looking like they will be pretty damn good in a few years. Then you have C. Zeller, Steven Adams, and Matthew Dellavedova who could also become very solid rotation players in some years' time. Yeah it isn't an insanely stacked draft but was it really THAT bad? :confusedshrug:

edit: there's more: Nerlens Noel, Shabazz Muhammad, and Dennis Schroeder, Shane Larkin, Tony Snell... y'all be trippin about this draft, just because Cleveland made the worst possible choice, see how these guys I mentioned are doing in 2-3 years.

homie stop it. this draft was weak.

shabazz already in the d-league.:facepalm

noel is a poor mans Anthony davis at best.:facepalm

zeller is gonna be the fourth best piece on a GREAT team and the third on a good one.

plus a lot of reasons y guys like oladipo and mcw started off so hot was because there were no scouting reports on them. teams weren't game planning around them to stop specifically them.

the steal in the draft was tim hardaway jr...if I were the knicks id trade jr smith and get some size because tim haradway can replace him and be just as good as him minus the attitude....and a better jump shooter.

Lebron23
01-15-2014, 05:38 AM
I don't see a bright future for this guy. He's lazy, no motivation, poor offensive skills, over weight, and under size for his position.

He'll be out of the league in less than 5 years. Even the late Robert "Tractor" Traylor put up much better numbers than Anthony Bustnett in his rookie season.

Artillery
01-15-2014, 05:58 AM
noel is a poor mans Anthony davis at best.:facepalm

Poor man's Davis would still be a good player.

moe94
01-15-2014, 05:59 AM

How poor? Never all-star poor?

Lebron23
01-15-2014, 05:59 AM

and way better than Mr. AB.

Artillery
01-15-2014, 06:06 AM
and way better than Mr. AB.

Just about anybody in the NBA is a better player than AB.

Lebron23
01-15-2014, 06:16 AM
Just about anybody in the NBA is a better player than AB.

That's why his agent didn't reveal his pre draft measurements, and pre draft physical test. They just said that he's 6'7" in shoes, 239 lbs, and 7'1" wingspan.

Owl
01-15-2014, 07:14 AM
This was never going to happen, would have been percieved as huge reach would have put, and would have put huge expectations on a very young player who hasn't really played much at anything like this level of experience.

Also he's getting overrated on here (or at least people are getting prematurely overexcited about him). He's got nice physical tools but then so did Jonathan Bender (or Euro wise Tskitishvili, Milicic, Korolev and by the wider but not atypical definition of euro as anyone not North American, Yi). Giannis' per 36 numbers are 10.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 1.1 steals, 1.2 blocks, 2.3 turnovers, 3.5 fouls, and that's okay, that's around replacement level with plenty of possible upside.

Now as it transpires (and to be honest most were shocked at the time) Bennett likes a worse pick at one. But still with Nerlens available offering the same freaky athleticism-length package but also proven productivity at a higher level (prolific blocks, steals and rebounds in the NCAA and a high percentage shooter) and in something that looks and plays more like conventional big, I can't fathom anyone taking Giannis.

Crafty
01-15-2014, 07:14 AM
I'm more impressed about A Davis's PER

Clutch
01-15-2014, 07:18 AM
Worst #1 pick ever. Even Kwame Brown looks like a great pick compared to Bennet :oldlol:

215Philly
01-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Perkins 2.0? :eek:

STATUTORY
01-15-2014, 08:22 AM
:roll: stockpiling picks doesn't work when ur scouting and management is incompetent like the cavs

Purch
01-15-2014, 08:24 AM
I honestly liked Tony Mitchell better than Bennett to play the 4 position in the nba

DukeDelonte13
01-15-2014, 09:20 AM
pretty sure Dipo, Len, Porter etc. all would have been in the running for worst rookie PER ever for a number 1 pick anyways.

Anthony Bennett is a mess right now. He needs to see a sports psychologist and figure sh*t out.

jzek
01-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Wasn't too long ago that ISH had this guy + Wiggins leading Canada to an Olympic gold :oldlol:

bagelred
01-15-2014, 10:05 AM
All I got from that chart is that Andrea Bargnani is 12x better than Anthony Bennett.

:bowdown:

HylianNightmare
01-15-2014, 10:10 AM
oladipo hasn't looked that great, nither has porter or any of the wings really

Bandito
01-15-2014, 10:12 AM
When you're worse than Olowakandi that says something..

bagelred
01-15-2014, 10:14 AM
Anthony Bennett is an "epic fail", but who would you have taken? None of the top picks are playing that well. Noel Nerlens hasn't even played yet. This whole draft looks like a bust.

GoranDragon
01-15-2014, 11:10 AM
I thought Kwame was bad. Cleveland f'ed up big time.:wtf:

tragicbronson
01-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Anthony Bennett is an "epic fail", but who would you have taken? None of the top picks are playing that well. Noel Nerlens hasn't even played yet. This whole draft looks like a bust.

Why making excuses, guy's a bonafied scrub and you act like there's noone good in this draft, well we know that it's not that good of a draft but we kinda expected solid game from top picks which we got in oladipo, and we have some steals like mcw and burke and other guys someone mentioned, it's not a good draft but there are certainly some good solid players and some that could become great. It's not like Bennett didn't meet expectations, for a last pick that would be a bad season, it's unbelievable how someone can be that bad, as i said, if he wasn't 1st pick he'd pick in d-league at best and in a few years if he doesn't do something he will be out of the league 4sure.

ImKobe
01-15-2014, 11:15 AM

It wasn't a bust. I mean, MCW has been decent, so has Oldadipo(he's improving after a medicore start), Trey Burke and other guards. Cavs needed a forward, this draft did not have a great big man or a PF so they went with Bennett. I think they should have drafted Noel and traded him + Waiters for a solid front court player. They wasted the pick.

NO and Philly really won the draft.