PDA

View Full Version : can Kobe reclaim himself as a top 5 player next season?

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 09:13 AM
He possesses the skillset that only a few guards in the history of the NBA have ever had. He was arguably the best post player last season. He was also one of the best shooters from mid-range prior to tearing his achilles.

Now, this season I'm not expecting him to come back and do much, Lakers have dug themselves a big hole and are in prime position for a top 5 lottery pick, why would he waste his energy if the team is not in playoff position? His goal is to win another championship. If all goes well, Lakers draft an all-star caliber player and sign key free agents that would win a lot of games with a healthy Kobe running the offense. We all saw how dominant he was as a PG from February-April, he can still put up a lot of points when healthy.

So, the question is: Can he reclaim himself as a top 5 player next season?

Big#50
01-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Wut? Go away.

moe94
01-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Let's see if he can do Wizards Jordan numbers first.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 09:14 AM
Wut? Go away.

If you have nothing intelligent to say, go away yourself, thank you. :coleman:

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 09:15 AM
Depends on what they get. If they get melo, and he can contribute 28+- points effectively and let the Lakers be in the 5-8 spot PO race, Kobe may not need to shoot so much and he can conserve himself for the playoffs. His career is very close to the end after all, can't risk it.

If they don't get melo, or melo just sucks, he should jack a ****ing ton of shots. I guess if he puts up 28-4-5, he'll still be regarded as a top 5 player.

You just never know with these all-time greats, they're supposed to fall off, but they just don't. Except for Garnett, other than that, everybody's going strong till the end

I<3NBA
01-16-2014, 09:16 AM
only if he goes back to Colorado

Big#50
01-16-2014, 09:17 AM
If you have nothing intelligent to say, go away yourself, thank you. :coleman:
Intelligent?? You asked if Kobe could be top five again. How dumb is that?? Kobe is done.

RoseCity07
01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
His career as a superstar is over. Deal with it.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Depends on what they get. If they get melo, and he can contribute 28+- points effectively and let the Lakers be in the 5-8 spot PO race, Kobe may not need to shoot so much and he can conserve himself for the playoffs. His career is very close to the end after all, can't risk it.

If they don't get melo, or melo just sucks, he should jack a ****ing ton of shots. I guess if he puts up 28-4-5, he'll still be regarded as a top 5 player.

You just never know with these all-time greats, they're supposed to fall off, but they just don't. Except for Garnett, other than that, everybody's going strong till the end

That's what I'm saying. He was a top 5 player prior to tearing his achilles, he willed a team that was 7 games below .500 back to the playoffs in a tough Western Conference. He played every minute when he needed to and he dominated games. If there's someone on these forums that thinks he wasn't a top 5 last season, you should take a look at some of these games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9Y1-6kYkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-4_YE49MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPbeYglbk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnjJb7TSJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK65aFDkw44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8XI-9hZodE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGEQtacamc

these were games from when he was leading his team back into the playoffs, he was averaging 30 ppg on 47,8/37,1/84,9% shooting his first 2 months of the season :biggums: and then he started playing PG and averaged 27 ppg 6 reb 7 ast his last 2 months...:coleman:

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 09:24 AM
That's what I'm saying. He was a top 5 player prior to tearing his achilles, he willed a team that was 7 games below .500 back to the playoffs in a tough Western Conference. He played every minute when he needed to and he dominated games. If there's someone on these forums that thinks he wasn't a top 5 last season, you should take a look at some of these games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9Y1-6kYkc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lE-4_YE49MA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwPbeYglbk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpnjJb7TSJI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK65aFDkw44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8XI-9hZodE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGEQtacamc

these were games from when he was leading his team back into the playoffs, he was averaging 30 ppg on 47,8/37,1/84,9% shooting his first 2 months of the season :biggums: and then he started playing PG and averaged 27 ppg 6 reb 7 ast his last 2 months...:coleman:
Top 5? lol, more like top 3.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 09:28 AM
His career as a superstar is over. Deal with it.

That's what people said about Dirk last season, when he was struggling to come back from his injuries. Look at the season he's having at 35. :coleman: 21 points on 48/41/90 shooting and his highest PER since 07-08 season. And he's much like Kobe in terms of having an unguardable fadeaway and good post game, people think these things go away with age :facepalm

Achilles injury was bad, but he showed that he could come back from it and drop 20 point games, he sadly injured himself again while trying to come back, which means he'll take longer to get 100%(not before next season).

He'll be back next season.

BlackWhiteGreen
01-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Garnett should have dropped off much earlier than he did. His play style, his intensity and his body just weren't conducive to aging well. He did well to have the 2012 playoffs as a swansong.

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 09:30 AM
I really don't understand how you can write him off already
You saw Kobe put up some good guys in those mere 6 games he played.
When he gets his basketball rhythm back and lowers the TO numbers, he's a guaranteed 20 ppg, dunno about more, depends on the situation like i've mentioned

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 09:31 AM
Top 5? lol, more like top 3.

Well, it's certainly arguable. The way he brought his team back in 4th quarter after 4th quarter was ****ing unbeliveable. That Portland game was godlike and before tearing his achilles he was murdering the Warriors.

People just love to hate on Kobe for no apparent reason.

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Well, it's certainly arguable. The way he brought his team back in 4th quarter after 4th quarter was ****ing unbeliveable. That Portland game was godlike and before tearing his achilles he was murdering the Warriors.

People just love to hate on Kobe for no apparent reason.
Well it is a LeBron generation, you have to downplay a man, that was considered better in most people's eyes during the peak of LeBron's statistical game (08-10)

moe94
01-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Garnett should have dropped off much earlier than he did. His play style, his intensity and his body just weren't conducive to aging well. He did well to have the 2012 playoffs as a swansong.

True. KG was very effective for a very long time and he had no business doing that.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 09:36 AM
True. KG was very effective for a very long time and he had no business doing that.

And they SHOULD have went to the Finals that year, but they just couldn't stop the Heat in Game 6 and 7. They had Brandon ****ing Bass guarding Lebron close up at the 3pt line :facepalm and Bron would just bulldoze inside in Game 7.

I really rooted for the Celtics in that series.

GoranDragon
01-16-2014, 11:22 AM
No. Not even top 15.

Fire Colangelo
01-16-2014, 11:24 AM
And they SHOULD have went to the Finals that year, but they just couldn't stop the Heat in Game 6 and 7. They had Brandon ****ing Bass guarding Lebron close up at the 3pt line :facepalm and Bron would just bulldoze inside in Game 7.

I really rooted for the Celtics in that series.

:wtf: laker fan rooting for celtics? kobe stan confirmed

HoopsFanNumero1
01-16-2014, 11:29 AM

You didn't get that from his username?

Fire Colangelo
01-16-2014, 11:48 AM
You didn't get that from his username?

Still, at least some stans are actually fans of their teams. This guy is just :facepalm

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 11:51 AM
Still, at least some stans are actually fans of their teams. This guy is just :facepalm
Go fk urself f@g i'd rather see celtics lose to okc than bron win his 2 nd

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Real Lakers fans do have great respect for the Celtics franchise. We want to beat them when their considered the best so we could become the best. If Lakers beat lottery Celtics, nobody's gonna celebrate. If Lakers beat raining champs Celtics, everybody celebrates. We hate them, but we respect them. And no way in hell are we going to root for LeBron/Wade/Bosh lol

Fire Colangelo
01-16-2014, 12:03 PM
Real Lakers fans do have great respect for the Celtics franchise. We want to beat them when their considered the best so we could become the best. If Lakers beat lottery Celtics, nobody's gonna celebrate. If Lakers beat raining champs Celtics, everybody celebrates. We hate them, but we respect them. And no way in hell are we going to root for LeBron/Wade/Bosh lol

Really? So you're telling me Lakers fans respect the Celtics so much that they would want the Celtics franchise cementing themselves as the best NBA franchise with another banner. Seems legit..... :confusedshrug:

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 12:05 PM
Really? So you're telling me Lakers fans respect the Celtics so much that they would want the Celtics franchise cementing themselves as the best NBA franchise with another banner. Seems legit..... :confusedshrug:
Yeah, because as soon as they start the cementing, we come in and blast them mother****ers in a seven game series with the best defensive game 7 of all time

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 12:23 PM
Celtics would have lost to okc and them winning two since Bird is no big deal, we'll catch up anyways

navy
01-16-2014, 12:33 PM
Yeah, because as soon as they start the cementing, we come in and blast them mother****ers in a seven game series with the best defensive game 7 of all time
The only reason the lakers won that game was because they shot 20 free throws in the fourth quarter.(Joey Crawford was reffing) In reality both teams were terrible.

SexSymbol
01-16-2014, 12:50 PM
The only reason the lakers won that game was because they shot 20 free throws in the fourth quarter.(Joey Crawford was reffing) In reality both teams were terrible.
The only reason the lakers won that game was defense. Both teams were defending like it was their last game.
The defense disparity between a more post orientated team with triangle offense and hard-foul giving, three-point shooting team is expected beforehand

jaybee682
01-16-2014, 01:32 PM
IMO I think Kobe 's time is over as a top 5 player. 18 years!!! And all the minutes he has played have caught up with him, that's ok though because he will still be a very productive player. I can see him putting up 21,5,5 and having very big games in spurts.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
IMO I think Kobe 's time is over as a top 5 player. 18 years!!! And all the minutes he has played have caught up with him, that's ok though because he will still be a very productive player. I can see him putting up 21,5,5 and having very big games in spurts.

Jun 2013 :facepalm

YouGotServed
01-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I think if he comes back and puts up decent stats he can still be a top 15 player in the league. But top 5 is almost impossible considering the talent pool around the league.

Top 5 as of now:

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul
5th spot is up for grabs.

SwayDizzle
01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
not only will kobe reclaim a top 3 status, but he will also win the MVP. We have seen just how crap the Lakers are without him.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 01:44 PM
I think if he comes back and puts up decent stats he can still be a top 15 player in the league. But top 5 is almost impossible considering the talent pool around the league.

Top 5 as of now:

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

Dwight Howard? :biggums:

YouGotServed
01-16-2014, 02:01 PM
Dwight Howard? :biggums:

Salty Lakers fan. Drink some water.

Manila
01-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Not being biased but realistically he will not.

Cold soul
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Kobe could maybe be top 5 next season, but I would lean towards more of top 10 player again. Kobe latest Achilles injury, age, minutes, entering his 19th season along with wear and tear on his body to be top 5 player again would be tough. Kobe longevity is amazing though the only players that come close are Kareem and Malone that's great company.

Genaro
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
I think he can if he can avoid injuries. Last year I think only Lebron and Durant had better season than Kobe.

D12 is not even top 10. Stop trolling.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Salty Lakers fan. Drink some water.

What has Howard done to cement himself as a top 5 player? He only averages 1 ppg more than last year and his blocks have gone down and everything else is pretty much the same... :coleman: Tell me how he's been better than Davis or Curry.

branslowski
01-16-2014, 02:20 PM

Top 5 as of now:

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

Still tryna sneak Dwight in that top 5 I see.:roll: :roll: :roll:

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 02:23 PM
Still tryna sneak Dwight in that top 5 I see.:roll: :roll: :roll:

The kid obviously doesn't know a thing about basketball :lol , putting Howard over the likes of CP3,Curry,Davis,Aldrige,George :facepalm

And Harden has been the better player on the same fricken team :oldlol:

YouGotServed
01-16-2014, 02:46 PM
What has Howard done to cement himself as a top 5 player? He only averages 1 ppg more than last year and his blocks have gone down and everything else is pretty much the same... :coleman: Tell me how he's been better than Davis or Curry.

lol @ this. I'm not even going to dignify this with a serious response. Anyone who isn't a salty Dwight hater can see he's top 5.

AnaheimLakers24
01-16-2014, 02:49 PM
lol @ this. I'm not even going to dignify this with a serious response. Anyone who isn't a salty Dwight hater can see he's top 5.
maybe because you cant :confusedshrug:

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 02:50 PM

Give me some factual proof as to why Howard is a top 5 player.

YouGotServed
01-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Welcome to my ignore list. Any other troll wants to join him?

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 02:54 PM
Welcome to my ignore list. Any other troll wants to join him?

Translation: I have no facts to prove my claim that Dwight Howard is a top 5 player in this league.

Thanks for playing :applause:

Milbuck
01-16-2014, 03:27 PM
:roll: at the dumb*** that thinks Dwight is top 5 but has zero argument aside from "y'all are trolls if you don't think Dwight is top 5".

Back to the topic. Kobe's gonna have his work cut out for him. Between Giannis, BKnight, Bron, and KD, the top 4 is pretty much locked. He'd have to do something no one has ever done before to snag that 5th spot.

ImKobe
01-16-2014, 03:30 PM
:roll: at the dumb*** that thinks Dwight is top 5 but has zero argument aside from "y'all are trolls if you don't think Dwight is top 5".

Back to the topic. Kobe's gonna have his work cut out for him. Between Giannis, BKnight, Bron, and KD, the top 4 is pretty much locked. He'd have to do something no one has ever done before to snag that 5th spot.

:applause:

Black and White
01-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Remains to be seen, but if anyone can bounce back from this it is Kobe

215Philly
01-16-2014, 04:24 PM
He won't be able to reclaim his spot as best SG in the league. Bookmark This :pimp:

scm5
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
There is no way.

Lebron, KD, and CP3 would all for sure be better.

PG24 would be better even if his stats fell to 20/5/3 as long as he keeps up his defense.

You've also got to assume Anthony Davis will get better, and he's already having an incredible season.

Kevin Love would be hard to argue against putting up the kind of numbers he's putting up

Then you've got the likes of Stephen Curry and Damian Lillard that are just torching teams from 3.

ImKobe
01-17-2014, 02:08 PM
There is no way.

Lebron, KD, and CP3 would all for sure be better.

PG24 would be better even if his stats fell to 20/5/3 as long as he keeps up his defense.

You've also got to assume Anthony Davis will get better, and he's already having an incredible season.

Kevin Love would be hard to argue against putting up the kind of numbers he's putting up

Then you've got the likes of Stephen Curry and Damian Lillard that are just torching teams from 3.

:facepalm Kevin Love's team has lost every game decided by 2 possessions or less and he's failed to lead a team to the playoffs his entire career. Yeah, let's put him over Kobe.

swagga
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
can wilt come back from the grave and reach 30000?

retaxis
01-17-2014, 02:14 PM
Are u kidding me? Kobe is a guard and guards rely on their young legs to move around on the court and blow by to set up team mates or finish at the rim. This year vince carter>>>Kobe. Next year vince>>>Kobe. Just deal with it already. Kobe will get shot blocked so many times that he will force up high archers that barely touch the rim. Its going to be very messy next year especially if Kobe manages to drive away their top draft pick (like he did with Howard). I don't 'hate' on anyone but just telling it like it is.

In this day and age of guard play, Kobe's athleticism is going to end up hurting him so much its just not fair. Unless he becomes a full on post player, he still needs to rely on quickness (which he obviously doesn't have anymore due to all the injuries he has suffered). I recently had a calf injury and even my post play was significantly affected because even though I can move quickly, the sudden jerk movement to pull up or twist around hurts too much to elevate over others demonstrating the fact that quickness suffers greatly from injury (not just vertical/distance jumping).

ImKobe
01-17-2014, 02:21 PM
Are u kidding me? Kobe is a guard and guards rely on their young legs to move around on the court and blow by to set up team mates or finish at the rim. This year vince carter>>>Kobe. Next year vince>>>Kobe. Just deal with it already. Kobe will get shot blocked so many times that he will force up high archers that barely touch the rim. Its going to be very messy next year especially if Kobe manages to drive away their top draft pick (like he did with Howard). I don't 'hate' on anyone but just telling it like it is.

In this day and age of guard play, Kobe's athleticism is going to end up hurting him so much its just not fair. Unless he becomes a full on post player, he still needs to rely on quickness (which he obviously doesn't have anymore due to all the injuries he has suffered). I recently had a calf injury and even my post play was significantly affected because even though I can move quickly, the sudden jerk movement to pull up or twist around hurts too much to elevate over others demonstrating the fact that quickness suffers greatly from injury (not just vertical/distance jumping).

I'll bump this thread next year(maybe even this year if he decides to play for the **** of it) and I'll destroy your ass.

riseagainst
01-17-2014, 02:21 PM
I'll bump this thread next year(maybe even this year if he decides to play for the **** of it) and I'll destroy your ass.

im hoping to bump this as well. But i'd be surprised if he's even a top 10 player next season.

ImKobe
01-17-2014, 02:23 PM
im hoping to bump this as well. But i'd be surprised if he's even a top 10 player next season.

:no:

HOoopCityJones
01-17-2014, 02:25 PM

How can you be so rational yet trolly at the same time? It's phucking poetic.

As for the topic, I really hope so OP, but next year the League is gonna be even younger and explosive, so I just hope his skill set is enough to get him that high on the pyramid.

Personally , I hope we get a Top 5 pick, that way Kobe can let the young stud take some of the hefty load off of his back. Gasol is finished , he's no longer a dependable second option, even with Kobe on the floor.

We need to get some talent around him first. Kobe is too old to be playing 30-40 min a night.

Nick Young cannot be our second option going into next year.

ImKobe
01-17-2014, 02:32 PM
How can you be so rational yet trolly at the same time? It's phucking poetic.

As for the topic, I really hope so OP, but next year the League is gonna be even younger and explosive, so I just hope his skill set is enough to get him that high on the pyramid.

Personally , I hope we get a Top 5 pick, that way Kobe can let the young stud take some of the hefty load off of his back. Gasol is finished , he's no longer a dependable second option, even with Kobe on the floor.

We need to get some talent around him first. Kobe is too old to be playing 30-40 min a night.

Nick Young cannot be our second option going into next year.

Gasol won't be here next year, I think the 2nd option will be a rookie. Lakers will probably draft a scorer like Smart or Parker.

Mr. Jabbar
01-17-2014, 02:38 PM
Top 5 as of now:

LeBron James
Kevin Durant
Dwight Howard
Chris Paul

throwing these rankings before the negging system is back, good move