PDA

View Full Version : Melo has not developed since his third year

Tking714
01-16-2014, 10:10 PM
Not sure if this is a knock on Melo. Or a testament to how naturally gifted at basketball he was. Or how hungry he was when he was younger to get good.

He is the EXACT same player. I want to even say he's the same player he is now that he was in College. He hit a little slide in his second year, but once his adult body came in it leveled itself out. He's the exact same shooter, same confidence level, same athleticism. He has the same one-two pullup from the triple threat. Turn and face jumpshot. The same drop step spin move towards the baseline he uses for a dunk or reverse (that hibbert just swatted the same way he did last year). The same dribble drive pullup from the three point line. And the turnaround from 15 feet out. Other than that its a forced jumper or fouling his way to the basket for a fat kid layup. He hasn't learned how to get his the easy way.

There you go. That's Melo's scouting report.

He wants what Lebron's got but doesnt put in that same work. I'm not knockin him he's great but you can't piss and moan when the other dude CLEARLY is outworking you minute by minute. Lebron's added something new every season, sometimes a few things mid-season. He's chiseled and crafted his game. Even Durant and Paul George understand it.

If you didn't watch him play in college/ don't remember here's a college Melo mix. In the first minute you see all his moves, the same moves you see every game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G7y1G2vRtE

oarabbus
01-16-2014, 10:12 PM
Wow, you're right. Also damn he was good in college.

navy
01-16-2014, 10:12 PM
This is true. Melo still cant play point foward. Literally the only thing missing from his offensive game. Even Durant and Paul George to a smaller extent can do it.

Fresh Kid
01-16-2014, 10:14 PM
mods im reporting tha stupidity of tha thread, jeff? somebody?

GoranDragon
01-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Knicks fan coming to the rescue of their hero. Its beautiful. :oldlol:

Boarder Patrol
01-16-2014, 10:20 PM
He's improved significantly as a defender :confusedshrug:

Tking714
Wow, you're right. Also damn he was good in college.

Yea he was beasting at Syracuse, but it's to the point where when he gets the ball you can guess his move and you'll be right most of the time.

The JKidd Kid
Not at all. Just in the last two seasons Melo has improved drastically in his defense and passing. Not to mention the fact that he's suddenly become an elite rebounder. Melo is the last reason the Knicks are playing so poorly. Absolutely ridiculous statement.

Boarder Patrol
01-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Not at all. Just in the last two seasons Melo has improved drastically in his defense and passing. Not to mention the fact that he's suddenly become an elite rebounder. Melo is the last reason the Knicks are playing so poorly. Absolutely ridiculous statement.

:applause:

Could not have said it better. The Knicks' problems are thanks to the host of cancers - Felton, Smith and Bargs, and the underachievers - Shumpert, Chandler, etc.

Finger Roll
01-16-2014, 10:23 PM
It's kinda sad but true.
Honestly you give Melo a few playoff runs and I believe he can still be great and put put in the work.

Tking714
01-16-2014, 10:24 PM

He didn't JUST become an elite rebounder. Check his playoff per game numbers and watch some of his Nuggets games. The WCF versus the Lakers. His first season on the Knicks vs Boston he was beasting the boards.

His rookie year he was snatching 10 rpg in the playoffs. And multiple seasons of 8+ rpg. His increased numbers on the boards have come from the absence of Tyson and also the lack of rebounding from Bargs. Also K mart has slowed down. Melo could always rebound. His defense was just as good in the playoffs vs the Lakers when he was still on the nuggets.

Please show me this better passing. It's the same as it was from his nuggets days. He was never a poor passer. It just hasn't improved.

JohnFreeman
01-16-2014, 10:30 PM
He should have stayed in Denver. That 08-09 and 09-10 team was an awesome team. More expectations at the Knicks and less winning :confusedshrug:

Heatles201
01-16-2014, 10:32 PM
He's slightly improved but by his third year he was already a beast. The sky was his ceiling with more dedication who knows how good he would be right now

Tking714
01-16-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm not blaming anyone for the Knicks struggles. I'm well aware of the real problems on the knicks. The crappy gaurd play. Jr Smurf. Shump not being the same since injury. Big man injuries. The most consistent player other than Melo being Bargs. Trust me I know. I know Melo has been holding it down.

This is a thread about his lack of improvement compared to the other big time stars. And it's the subtle things. The way Lebron, Durant, and even Kobe have learned how to get theirs easily and methodically.

Brook(lyn)Lopez
01-16-2014, 10:38 PM
His mindset has developed less than his skills.
If he could consistently change his mindset on how he approaches the game, you would see a more team oriented style with the skills he developed since entering the League
It happens in flashes, thing is Melo always reverts back to his old mindset which can be a good and bad thing.

Heatles201
01-16-2014, 10:38 PM
I'm not blaming anyone for the Knicks struggles. I'm well aware of the real problems on the knicks. The crappy gaurd play. Jr Smurf. Shump not being the same since injury. Big man injuries. The most consistent player other than Melo being Bargs. Trust me I know. I know Melo has been holding it down.

This is a thread about his lack of improvement compared to the other big time stars. And it's the subtle things. The way Lebron, Durant, and even Kobe have learned how to get theirs easily and methodically.

Yup right on the money the Durant's LeBron's Kobe's of the world get better with time and figure stuff out, an example is Durant this year he's improved everywhere ( playmaking, defense,etc) and thats after having a monster year

Kblaze8855
01-16-2014, 10:40 PM
mods im reporting tha stupidity of tha thread, jeff? somebody?

100% basketball talk, supporting evidence, and a breakdown of someones game beyond a list of stats? From someone behaving like a normal person?

This topic gets the ISH mod:

http://www.beautifulbodybistro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/seal-of-approval.jpg

Tking714
01-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Yup right on the money the Durant's LeBron's Kobe's of the world get better with time and figure stuff out, an example is Durant this year he's improved everywhere ( playmaking, defense,etc) and thats after having a monster year

Yea he hasn't figured out how to move from the 90th percentile up to the 99th percentile. He should be having Bird like seasons. Going for 50/40/90 and breaking down defenses. He doesn't break down a defense ever. He just makes a tough shot, and another tough shot, and maybe a freethrow.

When have you seen him do simple things like even work a pick and roll, either as the roll/pop man or the ballhandler? Take advantage of a two man game with him and Nene, or him and Chandler? Both dudes were capable of jumping out the gym.

100% basketball talk, supporting evidence, and a breakdown of someones game beyond a list of stats? From someone behaving like a normal person?

This topic gets the ISH mod:

http://www.beautifulbodybistro.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/seal-of-approval.jpg

haha Thanks :cheers:

MellowYellow
01-16-2014, 11:02 PM
His defense is a lot better and his shot particularly from 3 is way better than his 3rd year.

PostUpFreak
01-16-2014, 11:06 PM
has melo reached his ceiling? hope not

Fatstogey
01-16-2014, 11:22 PM

You dont improve on defense. You play harder. He coulda played better defense at any point in time.

He sucks at passing. He only passes if the defense forces him to pass. He doesnt create shots for people. Theres a big difference.

Melo is the type of player who destroys everyone elses offensive rythm. But no one can say shit because he scores the points. But at the cost of everyone elses rhythm. Same as kobe. They need volume shots. AS lebron grows he nees less shots in a row to get going. He runs the offense then just hits when hes open. Not forcing shots like he did early in his career. Thast why his fg% is up, his game is evolving. Melo still does the same thing and plays the same way he always has. Hes pure scorer thats a decent rebounder.

He needs a PG to run the offense. Melo woulda probably done better with Lin but i think melo is arrogant and just wants his iso. He doesnt want people to set him up. But thats why he wont win rings. Melo needs Rondo.

Im so nba'd out
01-16-2014, 11:24 PM
i make a thread about this if he can get away with scoring the same way over and over again #respect thats all i can say

AnaheimLakers24
01-16-2014, 11:47 PM
if he wants what lebrick has just form a super team like a bitch

avonbarksdale
01-17-2014, 12:11 AM
if he goes to a good team i think he can be an mvp candidate and win a ring

mr.big35
01-17-2014, 12:28 AM
He was a different player in 2008-2009 ever since he went to the knicks he became lazy.

3LiftHeatCurse
01-17-2014, 12:51 AM
Go read or watch the 03 NBA Draft.

The most common theme about Melo - that he had a low ceiling but he's the most nba ready at the time.

kurple
01-17-2014, 08:13 AM
you never watched the nuggets play if you really think that

kurple
01-17-2014, 08:15 AM
if he goes to a good team i think he can be an mvp candidate and win a ring
he could have been, had he stayed in denver

Lawson - Billups
Afflalo - Smith
Melo
Faried - KMart
Nene - Birdman

tragicbronson
01-17-2014, 08:18 AM
http://i.imgur.com/SR4YDX3.jpg

Lebron23
01-17-2014, 08:21 AM
He was a different player in 2008-2009 ever since he went to the knicks he became lazy.

I really like Nuggets Melo. He and Billups were a good duo.

PostUpFreak
01-17-2014, 08:36 AM
I remember the 09 nuggets giving the lakers hard time in the WCF, melo and billups hitting their shots, kenyon,danthay and smith were thugs

Sarcastic
01-17-2014, 08:49 AM
he could have been, had he stayed in denver

Lawson - Billups
Afflalo - Smith
Melo
Faried - KMart
Nene - Birdman

Still not coming out of the West with that team. Continually treadmill team. At least in NY, the team has the will to go after other superstars to help him out. Denver ownership is more worried about the bottom line, which is why they rented out the arena to the WWE, when they had playoffs still to play in their building.

If he stays in NY, he will have to wait till they get out of the awful contracts, to finally get some good players around him.

And for the Lebron stans in here: Bron has never won without Bosh and Wade. He literally had to create the most stacked team of all time to get a ring.

kurple
01-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Still not coming out of the West with that team. Continually treadmill team. At least in NY, the team has the will to go after other superstars to help him out. Denver ownership is more worried about the bottom line, which is why they rented out the arena to the WWE, when they had playoffs still to play in their building.

If he stays in NY, he will have to wait till they get out of the awful contracts, to finally get some good players around him.

nuggets owner had no problem going deep into luxury tax during the Iverson era. dont make shit up

and they were literally two inboundplays from beating the Lakers in the conference finals in 09.

The summer after they replaced Anthony fuggin Carter and Dahntay Jones with Ty Lawson and Arron Afflalo (both averaging over 19ppg at the moment)

that season they were playing like the best team in the league with everyone healthy. I think they were 22-4 with every starter playing before coach Karl got cancer. But karl got cancer, dantley did a bad job replacing him and melo quit on the team

thats hella lot closer to a ring that he's been or ever will be in NY

swagga
01-17-2014, 09:00 AM
he developed alright. He put on another 50 pounds. That's development tbh. Man **** the knicks, they just a sting in my heart for so long, the laughin stock of the nba tbh.:facepalm :facepalm

JimmyMcAdocious
02-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Battier looks like a shar pei and he's a big reason for the popularization of flopping in basketball. Melo is a fat ****. Hope they confront each other and a murder suicide occurs.

greatest-ever
02-28-2015, 06:33 PM
He's improved significantly as a defender :confusedshrug:
Yeah, not really. At his best defensive years he was average, the other seasons he was below it.