PDA

View Full Version : Victor Oladipo is more Robin than Batman

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
No rookie this season has been more up and down than Victor Oladipo. For every performance like the triple-double against the Philadelphia 76ers or the 35-point, 8-assist effort he had against the Chicago Bulls on Wednesday, there have been a number of games where he scored less than 10 points or had more than five turnovers.

But while the inconsistency should go away with time, stardom is far from guaranteed for 2013's No. 2 pick.

So far this season, Oladipo is averaging 14 points, four rebounds and 3.5 assists a game. That's the good news. The bad news is that he's shooting 42 percent from the field and 29 percent from three while also turning it over more than 3 times a game. It's not that he's struggling, it's that he's not showing the array of skills necessary for a guard his size to be an All-Star caliber player. Most elite 6'4 guards are elite shooters and passers. Oladipo is neither.

STARDOM IS FAR FROM GUARANTEED FOR THE NO. 2 PICK IN 2013.
In his junior season at Indiana, he was an excellent shooter, shooting 60 percent from the field, 44 percent from three and 75 percent from the free-throw line. However, in the two seasons prior, he could barely hit the broadside of a barn. He went 8-26 from the three-point line as a freshman and 10-48 as a sophomore. His improved percentages as a junior were encouraging because they showed that he'll work hard to fix a weakness, but they didn't mean he had turned the corner completely.

That has become clear over the first 40 games of Oladipo's NBA career, especially as the scouting report about him as gotten out around the league. He is not consistently knocking down open 3s, which means teams don't have to respect him spotting up off the ball. When he has the ball in his hands, defenders can play off him and concede the jump shot, preventing him from getting to the rim. Oladipo is the king of the long two, going an abysmal 27-71 from the top of the key.

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/assets/3866655/Shotchart_1389730151120.png

As a passer, he is still years away from running a team. Oladipo played mostly off the ball at Indiana: Cody Zeller was the focal point while Yogi Ferrell ran point. Oladipo showed flashes of seeing the floor and making the right play, but he was mostly getting out in transition, crashing the boards and hunting for his own shot. He averaged 2.1 assists and 2.3 turnovers in his final year at Indiana. Russell Westbrook (another college off guard turned NBA floor general) averaged 3.8 assists on 2.2 turnovers in his last season with UCLA.

When you compare Oladipo to fellow rookie point guards Trey Burke and Michael Carter-Williams, you can see how far Oladipo has to go as a playmaker and decision-maker. Burke and Carter-Williams have instantly made their teams better. The Jazz are 12-16 with Burke and 1-11 without him; the 76ers are 12-15 with Carter-Williams and 1-10 without him. They are both athletic guards with elite ball-handling and passing ability who will run NBA teams for a long time.

To be fair, both Burke and Carter-Williams were the primary floor generals on Final Four teams last season. People should not have expected Oladipo to be nearly as advanced a player as either, especially after Carter-Williams dominated their individual match-up in Syracuse's Sweet 16 win over Indiana.

The real concern is comparing Oladipo to the other shooting guards in his class who have come into the league. Forget the ones drafted in 2013 and look at the ones taken in 2012. Before Oladipo's junior season, the college game lost a lot of talent at the position. Washington's Terrence Ross averaged 16 points and 6 rebounds on the Pac-12 regular-season champs. A year after he won a national title at UConn, Jeremy Lamb averaged 18 points and five rebounds a game. Dion Waiters averaged 13 points while coming off the bench at Syracuse and Will Barton averaged 18 points and eight rebounds at Memphis. And none of those were the top shooting guard taken in the 2012 draft; that honor went to Florida freshman Bradley Beal, who parlayed a fast finish into the No. 3 overall selection by the Wizards. All five went pro while Oladipo stayed in school after averaging 11 points a game his sophomore year.

So while Oladipo was dominating younger players at a lower level of competition last season, Lamb and Ross were measuring themselves in practice against guys like Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay. Neither did much on the court, but they both came into this year far more seasoned than Oladipo, allowing them to play important roles on top-four seeds. Lamb and Ross are bigger guards who are far better shooters than Oladipo is ever likely to be.

None of this means Oladipo can't or won't be an excellent player in the NBA for a long time. There is obviously plenty to like about his game. He is an extremely athletic guard with the ability to swing between both backcourt positions and impact the action on both sides of the floor. However, it is going to take a while before he can be a marquee player on a good team. While he has the chance to be a that kind of player one day, it will have to be the right fit.

In a best-case scenario, Oladipo can hound smaller point guards and hunt for his own offense without having the responsibility of getting everyone else easy shots. For a 21-year old guard, he has excellent defensive numbers, averaging 1.5 steals and 0.7 blocks a game. The problem is, at 6'4 and 215 pounds with a 6'9 wingspan, Oladipo only has average size and length for a shooting guard. A guy like Lamb, with a 6'11 wingspan, can cross him up and shoot over the top of him like he's a chair.

In order to maximize Oladipo's ability, the Magic will have to pair him with a backcourt partner who can run the offense while also matching up with bigger shooting guards. There aren't many guards in the NBA who match that description, but there are two players like that in the 2014 draft. Dante Exum, a 6'6, 200-pound combo guard from Australia, looked like a future star in international play last summer. Barring an injury, he will likely be a top-5 pick in this year's draft. There's also Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart, who the Magic reportedly liked last year before he decided to stay in school.

Of course, if Orlando drafts Exum or Smart and lets them play with the ball in their hands, they become the franchise player and Oladipo becomes part of their supporting cast. That is the role that make sense for Oladipo. To use a really simplistic analogy, he is more Robin than Batman. There is nothing wrong with that, except for some of the expectations that have been thrust upon him.

If they don't expect Oladipo to be something he is not, the Magic will be happy with the player they have.

http://www.sbnation.com/2014/1/16/5309888/victor-oladipo-orlando-magic-nba-2013

yeah i probably should have posted this in the team forum but aint but like 4 active magic posters and i wanted anyone elses thoughts on this article

and jameer and olacinco, take a long hard read at this article

Nash
01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
whatever he is, he will be getting either Wiggins or Parker next season.

Take Your Lumps
01-17-2014, 10:58 AM
It honestly is too early to tell for sure...even Westbrook took a couple of years to figure it all out.

But he's definitely a guy you want on a championship contender. IMO probably a second banana on a great team. Fortunately for the Magic, they don't have to worry about it much with a high draft pick...they'll most likely get a franchise player anyway lol

He's got all the tools to be really good :cheers:

The bad news is that he's shooting 42 percent from the field and 29 percent from three while also turning it over more than 3 times a game. It's not that he's struggling, it's that he's not showing the array of skills necessary for a guard his size to be an All-Star caliber player. Most elite 6'4 guards are elite shooters and passers. Oladipo is neither.

Go back and look at Westbrook's rookie stats...same exact thing was said about him. Too early.

chocolatethunder
01-17-2014, 11:06 AM
So what? He's like a shorter Iggy who is a better with the ball. As shitty as his draft was I wouldn't complain. That's nothing to be ashamed of. I don't remember anyone before the draft saying that he would be a franchise player or the cornerstone of a championship team. There's no shame in being a solid all around player.

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 11:07 AM
It honestly is too early to tell for sure...even Westbrook took a couple of years to figure it all out.

But he's definitely a guy you want on a championship contender. IMO probably a second banana on a great team. Fortunately for the Magic, they don't have to worry about it much with a high draft pick...they'll most likely get a franchise player anyway lol

He's got all the tools to be really good :cheers:

Go back and look at Westbrook's rookie stats...same exact thing was said about him. Too early.

but that's the things even from the bigginning it looks like westbrook had more of a knack for passing, i will admit i didn't watch westbrook back then so i can't know for sure and i am only going on stats but just from watching oladipo you can see he just doens't have that court vision. allot of his assists come from very simple passes, now yes i have seen some great fast break passes and backdoors but i have also seen allot of pass to glen davis at 18 feet, he stands there jab steps and then hits the shot, a pass is a pass and he is making the correct play but i just don't see that ELITE court vision:confusedshrug: , maybe i'm just expecting too much from him.
he's got to improve his shooting all around and his floater but it's coming along.
and i think the magic are building a damn solid team with him harkless, vuc, nicholson and harris but none of them is that Batman that the team needs, we will see who they draft and if they come in and take the reigns of this young team

kurple
01-17-2014, 11:09 AM
good thing you didnt post it in the magic forum :cheers: great read

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Can you say which part says that he's more of a robin than batman? I just read this skipping few posts as I have some stuff to do

BoutPractice
01-17-2014, 11:12 AM
He's a rookie, and he works very hard. I think he can become a great, consistent 3 point shooter. No one should expect him to be a true point guard in the first place, and I'm quite certain most didn't expect him to become a superstar, only one of the few productive and reliable players in a weak draft.

Take Your Lumps
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
and i think the magic are building a damn solid team with him harkless, vuc, nicholson and harris but none of them is that Batman that the team needs, we will see who they draft and if they come in and take the reigns of this young team

My biggest gripe with the way Orlando is running the team is the lack of playing time for ANDREW NICHOLSON. That kid has game.

He has the chance to be a great complementary piece on a contender, but he needs consistent minutes. Funny that he'll most likely have a better career than his fellow Canadian #1 pick.

I was sold on him when he debuted that corner three out of nowhere. His post game has always been money but now he's hitting corner threes and he has a good mid-range game. Has a good head on his shoulders. The perfect off-the-bench NBA power forward, imo.

Only thing I would work with him on is his quickness/agility.

FireDavidKahn
01-17-2014, 11:17 AM
He is also a damn good defender right now. Even if his defense never develops it already is in the upper echelon of NBA guards.

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 11:23 AM
My biggest gripe with the way Orlando is running the team is the lack of playing time for ANDREW NICHOLSON. That kid has game.

He has the chance to be a great complementary piece on a contender, but he needs consistent minutes. Funny that he'll most likely have a better career than his fellow Canadian #1 pick.

I was sold on him when he debuted that corner three out of nowhere. His post game has always been money but now he's hitting corner threes and he has a good mid-range game. Has a good head on his shoulders. The perfect off-the-bench NBA power forward, imo.

yeah as soon as big baby came back his mintues went straight down the drain, ****ing bullshit. now i know they probably want him to work on his defense and quickness and he was still struggling on his defensive rotations but comeon this is a young team and how are they going to learn without making mistakes, vaughns rotations have been very suspect this year. and there is no one on this team that can score on the low block like him and he has worked on his shooting touch obviously, once he puts it all together he's gona be a stud

Take Your Lumps
01-17-2014, 11:25 AM
yeah as soon as big baby came back his mintues went straight down the drain, ****ing bullshit. now i know they probably want him to work on his defense and quickness and he was still struggling on his defensive rotations but comeon this is a young team and how are they going to learn without making mistakes, vaughns rotations have been very suspect this year. and there is no one on this team that can score on the low block like him and he has worked on his shooting touch obviously, once he puts it all together he's gona be a stud

Can you imagine Nicholson on the Spurs? I bet Pop loves his game.

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 11:25 AM

Tanking doe.

Nicholson is all-star material

Take Your Lumps
01-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Tanking doe.

True.

I seriously think that, looking into the future in terms of building a championship squad, Oladipo and Nicholson should be the only untouchables for the Magic.

Harris and Vucevic are nice but I need to see more of them running with Oladipo...they've both been dealing with injuries as of late. Whoever the Magic pick up in the draft will most likely indicate Tobias Harris' future with the team and how he fits in it.

Harkless is meh...don't care one way or the other.

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Tanking doe.

Nicholson is all-star material
but his defense is still pretty bad so i don't get not laying him, let him work on both his offseive touch, his defense and then it allows me to never see jason ****ing maxiell on the court ever again

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
True.

I seriously think that, looking into the future in terms of building a championship squad, Oladipo and Nicholson should be the only untouchables for the Magic.

Harris and Vucevic are nice but I need to see more of them running with Oladipo...they've both been dealing with injuries as of late. Whoever the Magic pick up in the draft will most likely indicate Tobias Harris' future with the team and how he fits in it.

Imagine a front court of Embiid/Vucevic/Nicholson going forward.

Although they all would probably leave Orlando, knowing their luck with great bigmen lol

Mass Debator
01-17-2014, 11:47 AM
I'll take Oladipo as my third option.

Clyde
01-17-2014, 11:48 AM
I'm a big Orlando Magic Fan, but I dont think they drafted him with "Batman" expectations.

Right now he's doing great. Looks to be a good defender with lots of potential in that department.

Whatever they get out of him on offence is a bonus to me.

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 11:50 AM
True.

i like harkless, young, long, hustles, maybe i got a lite too hyped on his "potential" but i wanna see more of him.
vuc i am not sold on completely, and harris is a chuckerit seems like. he can rebound but his defense is suspect and he really just wants to score.
athletically only harkless and oladipo impress me

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm a big Orlando Magic Fan, but I dont think they drafted him with "Batman" expectations.

Right now he's doing great. Looks to be a good defender with lots of potential in that department.

Whatever they get out of him on offence is a bonus to me.

So what? He's like a shorter Iggy who is a better with the ball. As shitty as his draft was I wouldn't complain. That's nothing to be ashamed of. I don't remember anyone before the draft saying that he would be a franchise player or the cornerstone of a championship team. There's no shame in being a solid all around player.

He's a rookie, and he works very hard. I think he can become a great, consistent 3 point shooter. No one should expect him to be a true point guard in the first place, and I'm quite certain most didn't expect him to become a superstar, only one of the few productive and reliable players in a weak draft.

:cheers: yes

Olacinco
01-17-2014, 12:10 PM
He deffently needs time to develop but come on... Look at his athletism and the way he can penatrate and guard any 1-2 in the NBA

You think carter Williams or Burke running our offense next season would make us a contender?

Victor was the most solid pick in that draft and he still is.. you can't debate it when not even half there rookie seasons are over.

Much rather have victor paired with Parker/wiggins/embiid than trey or MCW

GatorKid117
01-17-2014, 12:32 PM
The offensive criticisms of his game are valid in my opinion. But from what I heard pre-draft about his shot creation and dribbling, I'd say he has far exceeded many people's expectations. I know for some he was just going to be a glorified Tony Allen. But while both of these parts of his game are still shaky, they are more developed than I thought they'd be. He obviously still needs tons of work but thats to be expected from someone who hasn't play PG in ages.

The criticism on his defensive potential is pretty bogus though. Who are all these tall SGs that he won't be able to check? Maybe Joe Johnson for a few more years, Klay Thompson and.... Jeremy Lamb? Harden, Gordon, Beal, Wade etc are all well within his size range.

Plus, you can't tell me someone who can pull this off is going to be nothing more than a "chair"...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/832519165.gif?1389244243

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 12:33 PM
He deffently needs time to develop but come on... Look at his athletism and the way he can penatrate and guard any 1-2 in the NBA

You think carter Williams or Burke running our offense next season would make us a contender?

Victor was the most solid pick in that draft and he still is.. you can't debate it when not even half there rookie seasons are over.

Much rather have victor paired with Parker/wiggins/embiid than trey or MCW
no, he's solid as hell, and a great pick for the franchise i just don't think he will amount to more than a 2nd/probably3rd option on a championship team, great defense, hustle, some playmakiing and i expect him to improve a shooter.
but not a superstar or even close.

but shit if i was completely wrong and he ended up a poor mans wade i would be beyond stoked.

who you like in this upcoming draft?
i haven't seen enough of embiid but all i hear and see is that he could be a very very good big man

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 12:40 PM
The offensive criticisms of his game are valid in my opinion. But from what I heard pre-draft about his shot creation and dribbling, I'd say he has far exceeded many people's expectations. I know for some he was just going to be a glorified Tony Allen. But while both of these parts of his game are still shaky, they are more developed than I thought they'd be. He obviously still needs tons of work but thats to be expected from someone who hasn't play PG in ages.

The criticism on his defensive potential is pretty bogus though. Who are all these tall SGs that he won't be able to check? Maybe Joe Johnson for a few more years, Klay Thompson and.... Jeremy Lamb? Harden, Gordon, Beal, Wade etc are all well within his size range.

Plus, you can't tell me someone who can pull this off is going to be nothing more than a "chair"...

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/832519165.gif

:bowdown: yeah i was hearing everything from a poor mans wade to a slightly better tony allen. i believe his shooting and scoring in general will improve just with more playing time against nba level defenses. and as the game seems to be evolving towards amller lineups i think he can succeed as a 2 with some playmaking abilites, pretty much a smaller igoudala

tomSR.
01-17-2014, 12:45 PM
more like darkwing duck.........guy is so black i can

Olacinco
01-17-2014, 12:50 PM
I think he's more than a poor mans wade. I think In 5 years he will be d wade and as that time goes on he's goin to be closer and closer.. Only difference is wade may be the better scorer
but victor makes up for it with his defense.

And as for next years pick.. Idk it really comes down to who outperforms who this march in the NCAA tourney. I wanna see who's best when there pressure on the line.

But having both embiid and vuc in our front court would be crazy

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 01:03 PM
I think he's more than a poor mans wade. I think In 5 years he will be d wade and as that time goes on he's goin to be closer and closer.. Only difference is wade may be the better scorer
but victor makes up for it with his defense.

And as for next years pick.. Idk it really comes down to who outperforms who this march in the NCAA tourney. I wanna see who's best when there pressure on the line.

But having both embiid and vuc in our front court would be crazy
that would be huge, i wonder if they would ust vuc in the high post more ala gasol on the lakers or if they would try to move him.
i like what i see from jabari parker so far he seems the most nba ready but i don't see him improving much more once he gets in the league and idk about his defense yet, wiggins and oladipo would be fun to watch :rockon: but exum seems to be the guy that could sneak in and go anywhere from 1-5 or 6:confusedshrug:

Le Shaqtus
01-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Oladipo is not our go to guy, that will be who ever we get in this next draft.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-17-2014, 04:23 PM
If you landed your, and a legit, #2 in this most recent draft, I would say you did well.

PleezeBelieve
01-17-2014, 09:26 PM
Dion > Oladipo

HylianNightmare
01-17-2014, 09:36 PM
Dion > Oladipo

what does that have to do with this thread? literally no one is saying anything concerning the cavs

ProfessorMurder
01-17-2014, 09:38 PM
He's a glue guy, not a number one option... He'll be a really good glue guy if he develops. Nothing wrong with that.

Clyde
01-17-2014, 09:42 PM
Dion > Oladipo

Glad to see you've moved on from Beal

Brook(lyn)Lopez
01-17-2014, 09:50 PM
Alfred > Robin when talking about who was more important to Batman if you knew thing or two about Batman lore.

Jameerthefear
01-17-2014, 09:53 PM
qll i got from this article is that victor can't shoot worth a damn and that he's still not doing well with the transition to PG. he was spectacular last night and i wish he could have put up 40 (he would have if Jameer wasn't chucking). Our offense isn't really based off his strengths. He's fast and wants to get out and run, but Jameer slows it down a lot. If they got out and ran him and Harkless's number would get better. I expect him to work on his shooting a lot this offseason. I really wish he would stop taking so many 3s though.