PDA

View Full Version : If Portland Finsishes with the best record, will Aldridge be MVP?

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 03:54 PM
As per title, If Portland Finsishes with the best record, will he be MVP?

I know Lebron and Durant are better than Aldridge but we are talking about the most valuable player on the team and MVP is more likely given to the team with the best record.

Heat: Minus Lebron and you still have a Top 3 seed team in the East.
OKC: Minus Durant and with a healthy WB will still probably make the playoffs.
Pacers: Minus George is still a Top 3 seed team in East as Granger can start.
Spurs: Minus Parker is still going to make the playoffs.
Trailblazers: Minus Aldridge is Lottery Bound.

Cant count CP3 as It is highly unlikely that he leads the Clippers to the best record this season.

Or will Aldridge get snubbed even with the best season record while averaging what he is now which is 24ppg - 11rpg - 3apg?

riseagainst
01-17-2014, 03:56 PM
he should. The dude has just been playing on a crappy team. But he's really a top 2 PF at worst.

Olacinco
01-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Probably not.. I wish tho.. Lebron would cry his way all the way back to Cleveland

LMA deserves it

imnew09
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Best record = MVP for the best player on that team.

So in theory, he should.

Genaro
01-17-2014, 03:59 PM
No. Durant is having a amazing statistical season and on pace to win 60 games, if someone is taking the MVP from him is Lebron if he manages to start playing better.

russwest0
01-17-2014, 04:01 PM
Durant is the best player on the planet and on another level right now.

I'll let you do the math playboy

D-FENS
01-17-2014, 04:04 PM
he should. The dude has just been playing on a crappy team. But he's really a top 2 PF at worst.

Best PF in the league. He deserves it, and deserves All NBA 1st Team

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 04:06 PM
No. Durant is having a amazing statistical season and on pace to win 60 games, if someone is taking the MVP from him is Lebron if he manages to start playing better.

It would seem unfair if say the blazers were 64-18, Then OKC were 59-23 and Miami were say 58-24 to not give it to Aldridge.

But then if Aldridge did win it, would his MVP be treated like Rose's MVP season.

BigTicket
01-17-2014, 04:09 PM
No, he won't.

Durant is clearly a better player than Aldridge, and the gap between Portland and and OKC won't be large enough to overcome that.

Aldridge will get an all-NBA 2nd team selection and finish 3rd in MVP voting.

D-FENS
01-17-2014, 04:28 PM
My All NBA teams as of right now:

1:
C: LaMarcus Aldridge
F: Kevin Durant
F: LeBron James
G: Tony Parker
G: Paul George

2:
C: Dwight Howard
F: Blake Griffin
F: Tim Duncan
G: Chris Paul
G: Stephen Curry

3:
C: DeMarcus Cousins
F: Dirk Nowitzki
F: Kevin Love
G: John Wall
G: James Harden

DPOY: Roy Hibbert
ROY: Michael Carter-Williams
COY: Frank Vogel
MIP: Miles Plumlee
6MOY: Mo Williams

Kblaze8855
01-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Nah homie....

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 04:34 PM
By now I don't know what's the criteria to get a MVP anymore.
For years it's been the best player on the best team, when LeBron era came it changed.
I think the MVP award lost all of it's legitimacy when it was stopped being voted by the players. And that was when? 1972?

GOBB
01-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Best PF in the league. He deserves it, and deserves All NBA 1st Team

Kevin Love. Better stats, pooped on him in head to head.

Myth
01-17-2014, 04:41 PM

1:

Damn, Aldridge is playing like a 1st teamer, but they will probably not push him up to C to get it. Sad that he will be a top 4 MVP candidate but will likely only be 2nd team.

DMAVS41
01-17-2014, 04:41 PM
No...unless they have a far better record than OKC and Miami...which just likely won't happen.

It's going to be Durant or Lebron...as it should be. They are the two clear cut best players in the game.

I hope Durant gets it personally.

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Damn, Aldridge is playing like a 1st teamer, but they will probably not push him up to C to get it. Sad that he will be a top 4 MVP candidate but will likely only be 2nd team.
Whatever man, we have DPOY's going to 2nd all-defense :coleman:

moe94
01-17-2014, 04:43 PM
Sad that he will be a top 4 MVP candidate but will likely only be 2nd team.

Just like Rose should have been.

Milbuck
01-17-2014, 04:44 PM
I hate to say it, but Durant honestly might be the #1 favorite for MVP right now over Giannis.

Myth
01-17-2014, 04:49 PM
Whatever man, we have DPOY's going to 2nd all-defense :coleman:

Yeah, that is stupid as well.

D-FENS
01-17-2014, 04:51 PM
Kevin Love. Better stats, pooped on him in head to head.

Read 'em and weep:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=loveke01&p2=aldrila01

LMA: 11 wins
Love: 3 wins

LMA: 20.9 ppg
Love: 18.6 ppg

LMA: 9.1 rpg
Love: 11.0 rpg

LMA: .496 FG%
Love: .453 FG%

I love myself some Kevin Love and Minnesota, in fact they're number 3on my watch list after the Craptors and Celtics, but sorry, I take LMA every single time over Love.

D.J.
01-17-2014, 05:01 PM
Only way LMA wins MVP is if Portland has at least 5 more wins than OKC. Durant is clearly a better player than LMA at this point and the Blazers' record would have to be noticably better in order for LMA to win MVP.

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 05:15 PM
Only way LMA wins MVP is if Portland has at least 5 more wins than OKC. Durant is clearly a better player than LMA at this point and the Blazers' record would have to be noticably better in order for LMA to win MVP.

While I do agree Durant is the clear cut leader for MVP at the moment, his recent losing games while Westbrook is out aren't helping to minimise the gap between Blazers and OKC's record.

With that said in 2011 Rose won over Lebron because of Rose's 62wins vs Lebron's 58wins. Lebron was a lot better statistacally than Rose too.

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 05:17 PM
While I do agree Durant is the clear cut leader for MVP at the moment, his recent losing games while Westbrook is out aren't helping to minimise the gap between Blazers and OKC's record.

With that said in 2011 Rose won over Lebron because of Rose's 62wins vs Lebron's 58wins. Lebron was a lot better statistacally than Rose too.
That's not the reason. The reason is that LeBron had a player, who was widely regarded as being better on his own frickin team lol

D.J.
01-17-2014, 05:18 PM

Rose won MVP(and deservedly so) because Boozer and Noah missed almost 60 games combined. Not exactly guys who only play 10-15 MPG.

JebronLames
01-17-2014, 05:19 PM
That's not the reason. The reason is that LeBron had a player, who was widely regarded as being better on his own frickin team lol
Haha only regarded better by haters.
Rose won because lebron did what was expected, while rose had the surprise factor.

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 05:21 PM

:lol True! At that point it was still Wade's team. This year will be Durant's best chance to win MVP while Westbrook is down. The only thing that will stop Durant from winning is if he lets his Team's record go down too much. If he doesn't make 58 Wins this season I have a strong feeling he will not win it especially if Miami, Pacers or Portland get over 62+ Wins.

moe94
01-17-2014, 05:25 PM

No one outside trolls ever entertained that idea.

GOBB
01-17-2014, 05:28 PM
:rant .

Love 25.6ppg 13rpg 4apg 46% FG 39% 3pt

Love vs Portland 29ppg 15rpg 9apg 55% FG 57% 3pt in a win

Aldridge 24ppg 11rpg 3apg 1bpg 47% FG

Aldridge vs Minny 15ppg 14rpg 3apg 1stl 32% FG

So like I said Love has better stats and pooped on him in head to head.

Read em and weep :cry:

Love is a better PF

moe94
01-17-2014, 05:29 PM
Love is a better PF

Goes without saying. People are way too high on LMA.

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Does the basketball community consider Anthony Davis a PF or a C ?

Xoush
01-17-2014, 05:34 PM
He should, but he wont.
He simply isnt as popular as bron or kd.

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2014, 05:37 PM
He should, but he wont.
He simply isnt as popular as bron or kd.

Also, he's not better than Bron and KD.

JebronLames
01-17-2014, 05:39 PM
One of the most overrated players in the league. He won't even come close since durant and lebron are so much better.

D-FENS
01-17-2014, 05:43 PM
:cletus:

Hardly bro - what's Love's team record again with a fully healthy team? Come again? Come again?

moe94
01-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Hardly bro - what's Love's team record again with a fully healthy team? Come again? Come again?

Team accomplishments =/= individual achievements

GOBB
01-17-2014, 05:53 PM
:biggums:

Portland has a better team than Minnesota. Not even an argument. Fact

mehyaM24
01-17-2014, 05:57 PM
Team accomplishments =/= individual achievements

one liners =/= phoenix18

moe94
01-17-2014, 06:00 PM
one liners =/= phoenix18

What does that even mean?

mehyaM24
01-17-2014, 06:04 PM

dont play coy with me, fvckboy. your gimmick is tired and out dated.

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2014, 06:05 PM

He thinks your this poster phoenix18 aka rainintwos aka just2mcfly, the same poster you were criticized of being before.

Funny thing is, I see a somewhat similar posting style from both of you, but I don't believe you are the same person, obviously. Also, Phoenix would have let me know if he was rocking another account.

Bob Dole
01-17-2014, 06:07 PM
NO!!!!

This would be almost as bad as when Derrick Rose won the MVP. Dude isnt even on the top 5 best players in the league and honestly only borderline top 10. They have an extremely balanced team which is why they win games not because Lamarcus Aldridge impacts the game on an MVP level.

Cant you idiots tell the difference? :rant

SexSymbol
01-17-2014, 06:09 PM
No one outside trolls ever entertained that idea.
That's revisionist history, after the 2010 quit, and the decision, LeBron was widely regarded as an inferior player to Wade. At least the majority of the people thought so.

moe94
01-17-2014, 06:11 PM
He thinks your this poster phoenix18 aka rainintwos aka just2mcfly, the same poster you were criticized of being before.

Funny thing is, I see a somewhat similar posting style from both of you, but I don't believe you are the same person, obviously. Also, Phoenix would have let me know if he was rocking another account.

Does this dude have a problem with that user because I have no idea who this dude is or why he has a problem with me or the guy he thinks I am. Also, link to this dude's posts so I can see this similarity. I'll probably find something there I'd probably not only never say but laugh at certain word choices.

That's revisionist history, after the 2010 quit, and the decision, LeBron was widely regarded as an inferior player to Wade. At least the majority of the people thought so.

Are you insane? He was coming off back2back MVPs and was widely considered the best player in the league. You're so drunk with hate you're coming across delusional.

chazzy
01-17-2014, 06:13 PM
He's not MVP caliber. Is anyone seeing what Lillard' s doing?

Bob Dole
01-17-2014, 06:14 PM

You sir are an idiot and a grade A Revisionist.

mehyaM24
01-17-2014, 06:14 PM
give up the facade, hoe.

it's fairly obvious. both are absolutely clueless when it comes to basketball, use one liners, and try to act cute(sarcastic) when they cant hang. i dont wanna put this dude on ignore, but let your boy know he needs to quit being a coward and man up.

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2014, 06:15 PM
Does this dude have a problem with that user because I have no idea who this dude is or why he has a problem with me or the guy he thinks I am. Also, link to this dude's posts so I can see this similarity. I'll probably find something there I'd probably not only never say but laugh at certain word choices.

Well, Phoenix has a couple off accounts here and there, he used to be more active. He's also from Toronto, so that's a coincidence. I can see why most would come to that conclusion, because your account wasn't very active before.

Anyways, this would be the most active thread phoenix (on his rainintwos account) and I were in together:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272234

It was a funny read looking back at it, he and I are going back and forth with another poster somewhere around page 5. You can draw your own conclusion yourself.

moe94
01-17-2014, 06:16 PM
give up the facade, hoe.

it's fairly obvious. they both dont know shit about basketball, use one liners, and try to act cute(sarcastic) when they cant hang. i dont want to put this dude on ignore, but let your boy know he needs to quit being a coward and man up.

Put me on ignore. I literally, honest to Allah, have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like an obsessed weirdo.

mehyaM24
01-17-2014, 06:21 PM
Put me on ignore

i caught you slippin'. admit it.

moe94
01-17-2014, 06:24 PM
I read that shit. Guy does post similar to me. I can't even front there but he is way more long winded and catches feelings quickly. He also abuses smileys.

The Toronto connection is very odd, though, I guess. Is that really all you have to go on? Two dudes can't be from the same city and post a bit the same?

By all means, continue living under your delusion, which it is, but don't go around following me like I have any idea who you are. I promise you I am not who you think I am. :confusedshrug:

BlazerRed
01-17-2014, 06:51 PM
To be honest, I think the only way he can win it is if Portland have the top seed by a few games at the least.. and I very highly doubt that happens. Portland's second half of the season is FAR tougher than the first half schedule wise. He has been incredible though, and it's true, you take him out and we are in the lottery. Blazer offense just isn't versatile enough without his post threat to compliment the three point shooting. He helps drag the defenders away from the perimeter.

TheReal Kendall
01-17-2014, 06:52 PM
He should but I feel like it's gonna either go to Lebron or KD.

My money is on Lebron

moe94
01-17-2014, 06:59 PM
He has been incredible though, and it's true, you take him out and we are in the lottery

If that was even remotely true, he'd be runaway MVP.

BlazerRed
01-17-2014, 07:04 PM

If you watched Portland games you'd see our offense completely collapses with him off the floor if we're on a cold shooting night. It was in prime show against the Cavs. Aldridge goes off the floor, Cavs make a run. Our offense is completely reliant on jumpers with Aldridge off the floor.. and sure it won't matter when you're making them.. but when you don't?

Legends66NBA7
01-17-2014, 07:11 PM
I read that shit. Guy does post similar to me. I can't even front there but he is way more long winded and catches feelings quickly. He also abuses smileys.

Not going to lie, it would be funny if you guys did end up debating on something.

GOBB
01-17-2014, 07:17 PM
give up the facade, hoe.

it's fairly obvious. both are absolutely clueless when it comes to basketball, use one liners, and try to act cute(sarcastic) when they cant hang. i dont wanna put this dude on ignore, but let your boy know he needs to quit being a coward and man up.

:roll:

rlsmooth775
01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
I wouldnt give him mvp even if his team had the best record

BlazerRed
01-17-2014, 07:59 PM
I wouldnt give him mvp even if his team had the best record
See this is the rubbish we need to stamp out.. no discussion or insight into an opinion. WHY would you not give him the MVP? I mean, if Portland finish with the best record by a couple games (which BTW I don't think has a chance of happening) then why couldn't LMA win? He's been an absolute beast, and is constantly making big plays down the stretch to win games. Extremely valuable player.

JohnFreeman
01-17-2014, 08:01 PM

1:

2:
C: Dwight Howard
F: Blake Griffin
F: Tim Duncan
G: Chris Paul
G: Stephen Curry

3:
C: DeMarcus Cousins
F: Dirk Nowitzki
F: Kevin Love
G: John Wall
G: James Harden

DPOY: Roy Hibbert
ROY: Michael Carter-Williams
COY: Frank Vogel
MIP: Miles Plumlee
6MOY: Mo Williams

Howard is trash. Cousins getting disrespected

BlazerRed
01-17-2014, 08:03 PM
Howard has had some pretty huge games, but you're right, I think Cousins could have his spot there.

YouGotServed
01-17-2014, 08:06 PM

Maybe if Cousins' stats translated to his team having a .400 winning percentage he'd get more respect.

:confusedshrug:

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 08:15 PM
To be honest, I think the only way he can win it is if Portland have the top seed by a few games at the least.. and I very highly doubt that happens. Portland's second half of the season is FAR tougher than the first half schedule wise. He has been incredible though, and it's true, you take him out and we are in the lottery. Blazer offense just isn't versatile enough without his post threat to compliment the three point shooting. He helps drag the defenders away from the perimeter.

True. If Blazers get the best record by a couple of games over KD or Bran then yeah, he deserves it. But unlikely :cry:

I've always been a big man fan and since KG's retiring soon, I've been following Aldridge more and he's been awesome to watch. I know he takes a few too many jumpers sometimes but damn! he's making them! Blazers are a Good defensive Anchor and a good offensive 6th man away from a Contending team.

You have to be kidding man. Aldridge is the reason this team is winning. He is the defense's main focus which gives the shooters room to shoot or for lillard to penetrate.

BlazerRed
01-17-2014, 08:19 PM
True. If Blazers get the best record by a couple of games over KD or Bran then yeah, he deserves it. But unlikely :cry:

I've always been a big man fan and since KG's retiring soon, I've been following Aldridge more and he's been awesome to watch. I know he takes a few too many jumpers sometimes but damn! he's making them! Blazers are a Good defensive Anchor and a good offensive 6th man away from a Contending team.

You have to be kidding man. Aldridge is the reason this team is winning. He is the defense's main focus which gives the shooters room to shoot or for lillard to penetrate.

I like you, some brains on this forum :applause: KG was always a favorite of mine BTW, I've got a Garnett TWolves jersey from 2005 I believe. Somewhere around that time, it was a long time ago I bought it!

You're right, we need a defensive anchor. I know Lopez has been great but Asik would be a perfect fit IMO. Far greater defensive presence and can finish at the basket. Hopefully McCollum can turn into that sixth man but it could be a slow progression with him depending on how many minutes he gets. We'll see.

RoseCity07
01-17-2014, 08:29 PM
Lebron is the MVP. Scoring isn't the only thing to consider. Even if Portland finishes first it's undeniable that Lebron is the most important and valuable player. LMA can beat out Durant because the Blazers depend on him as much OKC depends on Durant, probably more because Lillard doesn't carry as much weight as Westbrook.

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 09:20 PM
I like you, some brains on this forum :applause: KG was always a favorite of mine BTW, I've got a Garnett TWolves jersey from 2005 I believe. Somewhere around that time, it was a long time ago I bought it!

You're right, we need a defensive anchor. I know Lopez has been great but Asik would be a perfect fit IMO. Far greater defensive presence and can finish at the basket. Hopefully McCollum can turn into that sixth man but it could be a slow progression with him depending on how many minutes he gets. We'll see.

Thanks! Asik would be perfect actually. Robin has also improved this season as he has been given starting minutes. Robin is more suited to be a back up Center though. I wonder if a swap would work out somehow since Asik has been requesting a trade and wants to be a starter. I'm just not sure if salaries would match.

Lebron is the MVP. Scoring isn't the only thing to consider. Even if Portland finishes first it's undeniable that Lebron is the most important and valuable player. LMA can beat out Durant because the Blazers depend on him as much OKC depends on Durant, probably more because Lillard doesn't carry as much weight as Westbrook.

I disagree. Lebron is not as valuable to his team compared to how valuable Aldridge is to his team. You take away Lebron and the Heat still make it to the ECF at least with their roster. Take away Aldridge from the Blazers and they miss the playoffs and are probably in the lottery.

RoseCity07
01-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Thanks! Asik would be perfect actually. Robin has also improved this season as he has been given starting minutes. Robin is more suited to be a back up Center though. I wonder if a swap would work out somehow since Asik has been requesting a trade and wants to be a starter. I'm just not sure if salaries would match.

I disagree. Lebron is not as valuable to his team compared to how valuable Aldridge is to his team. You take away Lebron and the Heat still make it to the ECF at least with their roster. Take away Aldridge from the Blazers and they miss the playoffs and are probably in the lottery.

The flip side is you win a championship if Lebron plays and you probably don't when Aldridge plays. Blazers are hoping for WCF's. Finals seems a little out of reach right now.

Joyner82reload
01-17-2014, 09:31 PM
The flip side is you win a championship if Lebron plays and you probably don't when Aldridge plays. Blazers are hoping for WCF's. Finals seems a little out of reach right now.

Miami's 4-5 without Wade, OKC's 8-6 without Westbrook. Miami's 6-1 without LeBron the last 2 years.

Durant is winning this in a landslide atm

BlazerRed
01-17-2014, 09:35 PM

Yeah I'm not sure what Robin is much cheaper than Asik. We're certainly not paying him what Asik is due next year. Not sure if the Rockets would have much a need for Robin but as you said he could be a nice backup C for them.. I don't think we really have anyone else to package that the rockets would want though.. or that we'd be willing to part with. Imagine Spencer Hawes on the Blazers, the floor spacing lol.

Wavves
01-17-2014, 11:14 PM
Lebron or Durant (I favour Durant currently this season, subject to change though) will win it. But Aldridge's season should be respected. And even though he most likely won't win it, he is playing at a MVP contender level, and one of the best players I'm the league.

jalbert009
01-17-2014, 11:50 PM
Aldridge leading Blazers to 109-100 win against 1st seed Spurs. His stats were 26/13 with 50fg%:rockon:

T_L_P
01-17-2014, 11:54 PM
They would need to be the clear cut best team this year (at least 3-4 games better than everyone else).

sbw19
01-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Only if Durant never existed.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Lebron is the MVP. Scoring isn't the only thing to consider.

Except, scoring isn't the "only thing" Durant does.