PDA

View Full Version : Is Kendall Marshall legit?

TexasBloodMoney
01-18-2014, 01:01 AM
Or is he a product of D'Antoni's system?

I haven't watched the games but he's putting up some sweet stat lines.

GoranDragon
01-18-2014, 01:02 AM
As legit as Sessions.

iTare
01-18-2014, 01:02 AM
http://i.azcentral.com/i/6/e/5/L169_CIFR471fb382bc0e73a3f86f0141f6d905e6.jpg

9erempiree
01-18-2014, 01:03 AM
He's garbage.

alec613
01-18-2014, 01:05 AM
He ruined the tank for the Lakers with his clutch 3

wakencdukest
01-18-2014, 01:10 AM
He's a legit passer.

absalom
01-18-2014, 01:15 AM
he could always pass in college.

NoGunzJustSkillz
01-18-2014, 01:26 AM
You put the tank to the side anytime you're playing the Celtics.

navy
01-18-2014, 01:30 AM
He plays for Mike Dantoni who makes all PGs and role players look good.

So no.

goldcrow
01-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Is he any good?

Can the heat get him?

wally_world
01-18-2014, 01:31 AM
Chris Duhon v2

Better vision, but worse defence. Equally terrible shooting.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-18-2014, 01:39 AM
Is his shooting really that bad?

Starting stats:
12.6 ppg, 12.1 apg, 4.0 rpg, 3.3 tpg on 41%/40%(5 attempts)/85.7%

I'm sure you can attribute some of the assists and points to D'Antoni's system. But how much? And let's be real, the Lakers aren't exactly loaded with players worth a damn. Many of these players would be, and were, scrubs on most other teams.

Furthermore, you don't attempt five 3's a game, make 40% and be a horrible shooter. Now if he can keep this up is a completely different question. Just saying, an ugly shot doesn't necessarily equate to a terrible shooter. Have to remember that this is the first time in his entire career he has gotten significant playing time, so there's really nothing to base his play off of other than what he's doing now.

Personally I don't think he's a starter in this league. He does have a role, tho.

Le Shaqtus
01-18-2014, 01:40 AM
I haven't watched any Laker games, but he was legit at UNC. Real good pass first PG.

Droid101
01-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Great passer, pretty shit at everything else. Literally, everything else (driving speed, changing direction, shooting, floaters, layups, team defense, individual defense, lateral movement, etc.).

He's average at open threes doe.

Poor man's Ricky Rubio.

Brokenbeat
01-18-2014, 01:49 AM

Nope, Rondo won the tank with his clutch 3.

xoneatom
01-18-2014, 05:00 AM
poormans dragic

Heisenberg
01-18-2014, 05:38 AM
any point guard can put up 10 10 every night with D'Antoni's system. Hes slow like my grandma tho.

Chuckbrook
01-18-2014, 05:41 AM
any point guard can put up 10 10 every night with D'Antoni's system. Hes slow like my grandma tho.
Breaking Bad :cheers: :oldlol:

-Brook

Kblaze8855
01-18-2014, 06:22 AM
any point guard can put up 10 10 every night with D'Antoni's system.

Hes been head coach for 12 years. The 4 he was coaching Steve Nash are the only 4 anyone averaged 10 assists on his team. Felton got to 9...once. Nobody else even got there.

The idea that Mike just generates his point guards assists with his system isn't rooted in reality.

I admit it makes sense in theory....but fact is it just doesn't happen at a high rate. He like everyone else works with what he has. He has Nash....of course Nash stacks assists. Marshall broke UNCs and the ACCs assist records as a sophomore. He was putting up 10 assists a game in college...where nobody puts up 10 assists a game.

Little article on his assist numbers in college:

A quick update on where Kendall Marshall stands in relation to various assist records.
Single Season Assist Mark
The UNC record for assists in one season is 284 set by Ed Cota in 35 games during the 1999-2000 season. Through 27 games Kendall Marshall has 262 assists putting him 23 assists away from breaking Cota's mark. Assuming Marshall maintains his current assist pace of 9.7 apg, then he will likely break Cota's mark in the Maryland game on February 29th which would be in five fewer games than it took Cota.
The ACC record for assists in one season is 303 by Georgia Tech's Craig Neal in 32 games or 9.5 apg. Marshall has a shot at breaking that record with four regular season games and at least one ACC Tournament game ahead of him. Based on Marshall's current average he would eclipse this mark in the first round of the ACC Tournament.
The NCAA single season assist record is 406 by Mark Wade of UNLV in 1987. Marshall would need to boost his present average and need UNC to reach the NCAA title game to have a shot. Using Marshall current average, he would only end up with 388 assists on the season in 40 games. Marshall would need to average 11.0 apg over the final 13 games to catch Wade. Incidentally Wade set his mark in 38 games, Marshall would need 40.
Assists Per Game
Another UNC record held by Ed Cota at 8.1 apg. In all likelihood Marshall will end up destroying this mark since he is currently sitting at 9.7 apg for the season. If UNC plays every game they can possibly play for the rest of this season(four regular season, three ACC Tournament and six NCAA tournament games) Marshall could post a paltry(for him) 5.0 apg and still end up ahead of Cota with 8.2 apg. As it stands I expect Marshall to end up a full 1.5 assists on average ahead of Cota which is just plain ridiculous.
In ACC play the record for assists per game is held by NC State's Chris Corchiani at 9.6 apg. Corchiani had 299 assists in 31 games during the 1991 season. Marshall is at 9.7 apg right now and his ACC games only average is 9.3 apg. For Marshall to reach 300 assists after 31 games he would need to average 9.5 apg which is in between his overall and ACC average.
Single Game Assist Mark

Marshall already holds some variation of game assist records. He set the UNC record for most assists in an ACC game with 16 vs Florida State(the now famous Screw Drew game) during which he also set a UNC freshman single game assist mark. Marshall tied the UNC record for an ACC game this season at Maryland. Last season Marshall also set the UNC record for assists in an NCAA Tournament game with 14 vs Washington in the 3rd Round.
The UNC record for assists in a game is 18 held by Raymond Felton vs George Mason in the 2003-04 season. The ACC record for assists in a game is 20 by NCSU's Chris Corchiani and Clemson's Grayson Marshall. Corchiani's 20 assist outing also doubles as the ACC assist record for a conference game. Grayson Marshall's total came in a non-conference outing.
Single game records are one of those things that really just happen. While we can extrapolate a player might break a season or career record based on averages, there is no way of doing the same in a single game. Such performances require certain factors to line up such as a high shooting percentage from pass recipients and a higher possession game. That being said, I think there is always a chance Marshall could have a huge assist night since he has four games of 15 assists or more this season and 11 where he went for double digits in the assist column. Making the jump from 15-16 assists to 20-21 would not take much.
A/TO Ratio
The UNC and ACC record is held by Ty Lawson at 3.48. Marshall is currently sitting at 3.44 but is only 2.8 in ACC play which has really brought his A/TO down. Prior to ACC play, Marshall's A/TO was 4.16 but there have been a few high turnover games(FSU, Maryland to name two) that have hurt his numbers. Obviously it is in the best interest of UNC's ACC and NCAA title hopes for Marshall to have more assists and fewer turnovers. Lawson's record is simply a bonus.

I think its fair to assume hes just a very good playmaker. Playing uptempo will help the numbers like it helped the numbers of all the top assist generating players in history. But I don't think we can just write him off as a creation of Dantoni.

If Dantoni could just make anyone put up 10 assists a game I suspect someone other than Steve Nash would have done it in the last 12 years.

HylianNightmare
01-18-2014, 10:31 AM
he's a role player in the nba for sure

Nick Young
01-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Lottery level talent, Mitch GOATchak does it again, but we dont need this kind of guy when we're tanking for Parker. Get with the team Marshall you done phucked up again son.

Then again it is a win against the Scrubticks in the Garden on Rondo's comeback so the dagger was worth it. F*ck Boston.

navy
01-18-2014, 11:03 AM
If Dantoni could just make anyone put up 10 assists a game I suspect someone other than Steve Nash would have done it in the last 12 years.
It was an exaggeration. But look at all the people people who have high assist rates when playing Point Guard with Dantoni. Nash, Felton, Steve Blake, Kobe, Marshall.

Mike Dantoni deserves some credit, but at the end of the day he isnt playing though.

Genaro
01-18-2014, 11:11 AM
He can pass but we shouldn't discredit MDA's system. It inflates stats.

Although Lakers are tanking last night's win felt good. Lakers should always want to beat the Celtics.