https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZOTtf5ldtI

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Joel+Embiid+Towson+v+Kansas+mcAkKyhBkIgl.jpg

VS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xspSw4TCvNI

http://www.gregoden.com/images/oden_2.jpg

Boarder Patrol
01-20-2014, 11:46 AM
Quality on the Oden video is terrible.

Better prospect = Oden. People thought Portland made the smart choice picking him over Kevin Durant

STATUTORY
01-20-2014, 11:48 AM
did wiggins play that game?

Done_And_Done
01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Quality on the Oden video is terrible.

Better prospect = Oden. People thought Portland made the smart choice picking him over Kevin Durant

Pretty much.

Although everyone and their dang grandmother was sold on the fact that KD was a surefire superstar, Pritchard just couldn't pass up on the likes of the man-child. Hence the reason why there's few analysts who flame him for doing so. Even in hindsight, one really cannot blame him for the selection of Oden.

GOBB
01-20-2014, 12:18 PM
I liked Greg Oden in college so I would pick him here. As much as I've bought into the Embiid hype train I cant pretend I'm THAT high on the dude over Oden. Whom I was high on. :oldlol: I'd be lying. Oden was a boss at OSU.

mr.big35
01-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Oden played the whole season without getting any injury.

BoutPractice
01-20-2014, 12:46 PM
Oden seemed like more of a sure thing because he'd been a top prospect for years and was featured more as a freshman than Embiid even with only one hand at his disposal. The great appeal of Oden I would attribute to his overwhelming physical strength combined with his athleticism, suggesting the possibility of a raw power game where he would just dunk on everyone ala Shaq, coupled with proven and impactful defense. Embiid is more of a finesse player, and though he's quite strong compared to other finesse players, he doesn't have the same brute force.

Physically, Oden was something between Shaq and Robinson... Embiid looks more like a mix between Duncan and Olajuwon, somewhere right down the middle between those two. Duncan's long, more grounded body with Hakeem's quickness and agility. When I'm making these comparisons I'm not suggesting either of those two are as good as the players they're being compared to, obviously.

IGOTGAME
01-20-2014, 01:03 PM
some of the things that he is doing are just absurd for someone so new to the game. watch this little hop he does to get into position before blocking Nash's shot at 2:20. This is done to put himself in the best position to observe verticality, an advanced move for any shot blocker and he has already picked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfN0rtpUF0U

cos88
01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
oden and it's not even close

pre draft measurements:

oden :

lane agility: 11.67
court sprint: 3.27

durant:

lane agility: 12.33
court sprint: 3.45

people started watching basketball 3 years ago or the have short memory, but ODEN was a beast. he had an nba ready body, was very good on D even before playing in the nba also a great rebounder. he had an NBA Comparison: David Robinson/Bill Russell.

Pointguard
01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Oden seemed like more of a sure thing because he'd been a top prospect for years and was featured more as a freshman than Embiid even with only one hand at his disposal. The great appeal of Oden I would attribute to his overwhelming physical strength combined with his athleticism, suggesting the possibility of a raw power game where he would just dunk on everyone ala Shaq, coupled with proven and impactful defense. Embiid is more of a finesse player, and though he's quite strong compared to other finesse players, he doesn't have the same brute force.

Physically, Oden was something between Shaq and Robinson... Embiid looks more like a mix between Duncan and Olajuwon, somewhere right down the middle between those two. Duncan's long, more grounded body with Hakeem's quickness and agility. When I'm making these comparisons I'm not suggesting either of those two are as good as the players they're being compared to, obviously.
Good Post!

Exactly he way I see it. I think most would see it as you do. I actually would pick Embiid because he's taller than Duncan and Hakeem, further along despite less experience. I like versatile skilled players that can adjust because they are not subject to how the game is called. The refs could have easily taken away two of Shaq's three peat if they called the game differently. And earlier in his career they called the playoff games tighter than the regular season and its not like Shaq could adjust. If Oden played in today's call-a-foul-for-breathing-on-him college game - Durant would have definitely been picked before him.

Shade8780
01-20-2014, 02:49 PM
oden and it's not even close

pre draft measurements:

oden :

lane agility: 11.67
court sprint: 3.27

durant:

lane agility: 12.33
court sprint: 3.45

people started watching basketball 3 years ago or the have short memory, but ODEN was a beast. he had an nba ready body, was very good on D even before playing in the nba also a great rebounder. he had an NBA Comparison: David Robinson/Bill Russell.
Embiid's NBA Comparison: Hakeem Olajuwon

IGOTGAME
01-27-2014, 12:06 AM
embiid looking better than Davis IMO.

Joel Embiid
01-27-2014, 12:08 AM
:kobe:

JUDGE WITNESS
01-27-2014, 12:10 AM
the one with actual knees

ABfor3
01-27-2014, 12:13 AM
I think it speaks volumes when you are considered a better play than Kevin Durant by a lot of people, everybody knew KD would be how he is now, they expected Oden to be the next dominant center since Shaq but dudes knees gave out

RoseCity07
01-27-2014, 12:15 AM
Oden and it's not ever close.

Kingwillball
01-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Before the Knee problems Oden was considered best Center Prospect since Shaq..

iamgine
01-27-2014, 12:29 AM
I think it speaks volumes when you are considered a better play than Kevin Durant by a lot of people, everybody knew KD would be how he is now, they expected Oden to be the next dominant center since Shaq but dudes knees gave out
Not quite. There were some doubts about the position he will play. Too weak to defend PFs and strong SFs. Too slow for SG. Plus KD was mediocre his first season.

chips93
01-27-2014, 12:30 AM
Not quite. There were some doubts about the position he will play. Too weak to defend PFs and strong SFs. Too slow for SG. Plus KD was mediocre his first season.

yeah, i remember his comparison being rashard lewis

KG215
01-27-2014, 12:41 AM
Not really. I think plenty of people thought he might turn into an efficient high volume scorer like he is now, but I'm not sure many people thought he'd turn into a nearly ustoppable all-around force. Mostly because a lot of people were concerned with his lack of strength and what not. Or maybe a lot of people thought he could be a perennial All-Star and superstar for a few years, but I'm not sure many people thought he'd be a transcendent/generational talent.

I don't know...I just don't remember too many people thinking Durant would be this good. I know a lot thought he could/would be really, really good, though.

Anyway, from what I've seen of Embiid, the more and more I watch the more and more I can see why someone might think of him as a better prospect than Oden. He's so agile and quick for someone his size. He truly does have the makings of a legit, elite defensive anchor along with an already solid post game.