PDA

View Full Version : Kobe- Games softer today

juju151111
01-21-2014, 11:45 AM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=10325177&city=losangeles&src=desktop
I agree the game definitely got easier for perimeter players especially the PG postion. PG wasn't able to run this wild because they were small and easier to push off their path while driving to the basket.

SpanishACB
01-21-2014, 12:06 PM
kobe says game got softer and you agree with him saying the opposite:

they were small and easier to push off their path while driving to the basket.

it's like next level stanism

Illuminati
01-21-2014, 12:09 PM
Kobe acting like he's been retired since the 80's. AttentionWhoreBe.

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 12:10 PM

This. But you know his stans are gonna act like the rule changes didn't benefit him when he git some of the softest foul calls I've seen during that period.

20Four
01-21-2014, 12:11 PM

You acting like you've been playing in the league since the 80's...GTFOOH

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Who gives a shit if he didn't play in the 80's , he came in 96, and the League was still pretty rough til about 2003-04.

He's right.

Im Still Ballin
01-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Blame Kobe and his shitty ass 04 Lakers that got wooped by Detroit for the game being softer. The rule changes after the 04 finals only benefited Kobe even more.

This is just Kobe's subtle way of dissing todays superstars and the fact that he is on borrowed time trying to keep up with the youth of the next generation.

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 12:26 PM
Who gives a shit if he didn't play in the 80's , he came in 96, and the League was still pretty rough til about 2003-04.

He's right.

I don't recall him complaining about the rule changes all these years after that. And for Kobe to act like the rule changes didn't benefit him is laughable.

Budadiiii
01-21-2014, 12:27 PM
How many times has this been discussed?

The game is 'softer' ... we get it dude. Stop beating a dead horse kid

Illuminati
01-21-2014, 12:28 PM

He's right.

Why wasn't he complaining last year? Did the league really change that much over a year? He's just been sidelined for too long, looking for ways to be relevant again by saying stupid shit like this.

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
Why wasn't he complaining last year? Did the league really change that much over a year? He's just been sidelined for too long, looking for ways to be relevant again by saying stupid shit like this.

You act like he just posted his thoughts on Twitter randomly or something...:biggums:

He was in the middle of a damn interview, and someone asked a question that sparked the opinion.

Just step back for a second and remove the hate dildo from your butthole.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-21-2014, 12:30 PM
The game is softer, as Avery Johnson alluded to this morning on ESPN.

Smook A.
01-21-2014, 12:32 PM
He's right. The game is soft as hell now

Budadiiii
01-21-2014, 12:33 PM
It wasn't soft when Westbrook screamed in Battiers face....

The game was rough and tough.

Game gone soft since Westbrook went out.

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 12:36 PM
You act like he just posted his thoughts on Twitter randomly or something...:biggums:

He was in the middle of a damn interview, and someone asked a question that sparked the opinion.

You're acting like I insulted your mom :oldlol:

Kobe saying the rule changes didn't help him is not an opinion. It's a blatant lie.

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 12:38 PM

Kobe saying the rule changes didn't help him is not an opinion. It's a blatant lie.

Who the hell are you? :wtf:

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Who the hell are you? :wtf:

You okay buddy? You seem upset.

SilkkTheShocker
01-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Do tough players lose every NBA fight they were in like Kobe?

Punked by Childs, Miller, and Raja Bell :oldlol:

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 12:43 PM
You okay buddy? You seem upset.

:applause: You're on a roll.

Pfft. Hahahahahahaha.

IGOTGAME
01-21-2014, 12:44 PM

It didn't...it helped his peers a lot more and allowed them to close the gap. Everyone scored more and got more free throws but Kobe didn't need that to succeed while some of the of the other players did. Kobe isn't some out of control slasher or dominate athletic slasher...he wasn't the type of player that benefited most from the rule changes. He took advantage but it was more suited for other types of players.

gts
Kobe acting like he's been retired since the 80's. AttentionWhoreBe.Kobe's been in the league 18 years.... that's more than triple the average NBA players career length. He's played from the mid 90's, he's seen rule changes, dynasties come and go, lockouts, busts and phenoms.

If anyone is qualified to speak on this or any matter of how the NBA has evolved he is.

You on the other hand, You're just an idiot...

houston
Kobe is just mad Lebron just a better player than him lol

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 01:04 PM
Kobe is just mad Lebron just a better player than him lol

That pretty much sums it up. You can see him taking passive aggressive shots at the Heat.

ImKobe
01-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Of course the game is softer. You get ejected for shoving these days and you can't even stare someone down without getting a technical. It hasn't been the same since that Detroit-Pacers brawl. Thanks a lot, Ron.

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 01:06 PM
It didn't...it helped his peers a lot more and allowed them to close the gap. Everyone scored more and got more free throws but Kobe didn't need that to succeed while some of the of the other players did. Kobe isn't some out of control slasher or dominate athletic slasher...he wasn't the type of player that benefited most from the rule changes. He took advantage but it was more suited for other types of players.

Most of his incredible high-scoring games came after the rule change. Sure they helped othrs too. I never argued that. But they clearly helped his legacy.

PJR
01-21-2014, 01:08 PM
The game is SOOOO much better today. Far more reliant on skills, natural talent, and playing sound fundamental defense (without fouling). That shit in the late 90's, early 2000's was garbage to watch. Games ending 82-78 and shit. :no:

ImKobe
01-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Most of his incredible high-scoring games came after the rule change. Sure they helped othrs too. I never argued that. But they clearly helped his legacy.

Kobe's 2002-03 season was before the rule changes, and those other 50-60 point games he had he hit a lot of tough shots to get those points, like that fadeaway 3 from the corner against Portland

Trollsmasher
01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Today's game is a perfect product with a great balance of quality offense and defense. It's unmatched by the previous eras.

Genaro
01-21-2014, 01:10 PM
Everyone in this board always talks the same thing Kobe said but when he is the one saying it turns into a lie and a declaration with an agenda. GTFO haters.

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Everyone in this board always talks the same thing Kobe said but when he is the one saying it turns into a lie and a declaration with an agenda. GTFO haters.

Only Lebron stans are feeling salty about it.

If Kobe is talking about the game being softer and the first thing that pops in your mind is "Lebron" or "Heat" , then that shit should speak for itself bro.

IGOTGAME
01-21-2014, 01:14 PM
He would have had more than his peers regardless. Guy was dropping 50 with Shaq on his squad before the rule changes...all it did is help others close the gap.

Solefade
01-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Only Lebron stans are feeling salty about it.

If Kobe is talking about the game being softer and the first thing that pops in your mind is "Lebron" or "Heat" , then that shit should speak for itself bro.

nothing to be salty about here

Lebron >>>>>> Kobe

ArbitraryWater
01-21-2014, 01:18 PM
It's funny because it's not like he played big minutes in the 90's :lol

Barely played a full season. Acting like he experienced that "tough, physical play" and someone like LeBron has it easy now :facepalm

gts
01-21-2014, 01:21 PM
It's funny because it's not like he played big minutes in the 90's :lol

Barely played a full season. Acting like he experienced that "tough, physical play" and someone like LeBron has it easy now :facepalm

Another idiot...

andgar923
01-21-2014, 01:22 PM
The rules changed and were actually called closer starting in the mid 90s to protect stars. And yeah, MJ was one of the main ones the rules were changed for. Reason being, he was getting hammered and the league/owners didn't want him or other stars to get hurt, so rules began to change and enforced in the mid 90s.

Up until then, rules were changed slightly (different interpretation) but they weren't enforced, so players were still getting hammered and hand checking was still normal.

So Kobe didn't even get to play in the more physical era. He played when rules were already softer, and even then he was getting star treatment from day 1. And if that wasn't enough, he had the luxury to play with Shaq so the defense didn't focus on him early in his career. Not only did the defense focus on Shaq and allow Kobe to play, the fouls Shaq drew impacted the way the defense played him.

Kobe always finds slick ways to prop himself while downgrading others.

Darius
01-21-2014, 01:52 PM
lmao most guys wait until they're out of the league to start the "In my day..." self-aggrandizement.

Kobe getting a head start :oldlol:

r0drig0lac
01-21-2014, 01:55 PM
no lie, the league after 2003 was much softer

Milbuck
01-21-2014, 01:55 PM

http://i.imgur.com/nVsr8eg.gif

I<3NBA
01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Kobe acting like he isn't crying every time someone fouls him (even when the foul is "soft")

lol. nikka is one of the biggest crybabies when it comes to fouls. lol at him trying to act tough.

hitmanyr2k
01-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Blame Kobe and his shitty ass 04 Lakers that got wooped by Detroit for the game being softer. The rule changes after the 04 finals only benefited Kobe even more.

This is just Kobe's subtle way of dissing todays superstars and the fact that he is on borrowed time trying to keep up with the youth of the next generation.

Believe it or not Kobe said this exact same thing 3-4 years ago when he was still relevant and his team was contending. However, even then I laughed when he said it because no one complained and was more demonstrative toward officials than Kobe when he had to go against physical defenses.

And he's right. The league now is softer than fresh dog shit and has been since 04-05 thanks to dumbass Mark Cuban.

sc19
01-21-2014, 02:06 PM
http://swishnba.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/ba19bd8117be4b4ac706b5223b9d7237.jpeg
http://i.imgur.com/SPiScC0.jpg

Now imagine Kobe in a "tough" era of basketball.

gts
01-21-2014, 02:11 PM
http://swishnba.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/ba19bd8117be4b4ac706b5223b9d7237.jpeg

"Since 2007"
What kinda crap graphic is that.. Jordan didn't play then and Kobe had already been in the league 11 years... :lol

Talk about picking and choosing numbers

chazzy
01-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I dont think Kobe saw a huge jump in his FT rate post rule changes. I think it affects lower tier players more. Guys like Kevin Martin, who's efficiency is largely boosted by their ability to draw soft calls

AnaheimLakers24
01-21-2014, 03:14 PM
everyone from the 03 class an higher made it gay

juju151111
01-21-2014, 03:15 PM
Kobe was putting up 30ppg in 03. So Kobe knows what he is talking about.

DonDadda59
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
This is common knowledge. Don't understand why Bean is acting like he was not one of, if not THE biggest beneficiaries of the no touching, red carpet to the rim rules. I mean, how many 50+ point games did he even have before as compared to after the rule changes.

Exactly :applause:

I wonder if Bean is even aware that his shitting the bed in the '04 finals was the main catalyst for the rule changes he's now complaining about. That has to be a first- a player causing rule changes to make the game easier for him. It's usually the other way around- The NCAA outlawed dunking to try to slow down Kareem back when he was Lew Alcindor, The NBA widened lanes and introduced shot clocks in order to try to stem Mikan's dominance (Mikan rules), The Pistons had to create the Jordan rules which other teams adopted throughout the 90s, there was the hack-a-Shaq and defensive 3 second rule, hell even KD's rip through had to be stopped.

But then you get the Bean era where the league goes out of its way to make it easier for him to score? :lol

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Gotta love ESPN and their manufactured stats.

"So and so is the only player to average at least 15pts , 8 ast and 6 rebounds in X amount of games" Who gives a phuck.

Lebron23
01-21-2014, 03:36 PM
This is common knowledge. Don't understand why Bean is acting like he was not one of, if not THE biggest beneficiaries of the no touching, red carpet to the rim rules. I mean, how many 50+ point games did he even have before as compared to after the rule changes.

I wonder if Bean is even aware that his shitting the bed in the '04 finals was the main catalyst for the rule changes he's now complaining about. That has to be a first- a player causing rule changes to make the game easier for him. It's usually the other way around- The NCAA outlawed dunking to try to slow down Kareem back when he was Lew Alcindor, The NBA widened lanes and introduced shot clocks in order to try to stem Mikan's dominance (Mikan rules), The Pistons had to create the Jordan rules which other teams adopted throughout the 90s, there was the hack-a-Shaq and defensive 3 second rule, hell even KD's rip through had to be stopped.

But then you get the Bean era where the league goes out of its way to make it easier for him to score? :lol

True story. Kobe and the rest of these perimeter players like my favorite player Lebron benefited from this rule.

HoopsFanNumero1
01-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Story of his career. And now he has the nerve to complain about the game being soft :lol

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 03:39 PM
You foo's get hard when you see someone discredit Kobe in anyway.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Basketball has always been a soft sport.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 03:58 PM

Your hate of Kobe is so irrational and ridiculous.

DonDadda59
01-21-2014, 04:01 PM

What did I say in the post you quoted that was 'so irrational and ridiculous'?

Lebron23
01-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Same with you. Your hate with Lebron is so irrational and ridiculous. You guys always brought up his poor performance in the 2011 NBA Finals while ignoring that he won back to back NBA Finals MVP at age 28.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 04:11 PM
What did I say in the post you quoted that was 'so irrational and ridiculous'?

You act like superstar friendly calls started with Kobe, which is ridiculous. He didn't benefit from it anymore than Jordan did, and current day stars such as Durant, Lebron, and Harden benefit just as much, if not more than Kobe ever did.

But hey, Kobe's career was just one big fluke, right?

DonDadda59
01-21-2014, 04:15 PM
You act like superstar friendly calls started with Kobe, which is ridiculous. He didn't benefit from it anymore than Jordan did, and current day stars such as Durant, Lebron, and Harden benefit just as much, if not more than Kobe ever did.

But hey, Kobe's career was just one big fluke, right?

Jesus Christ, let me get you a handkerchief. Where did I say that superstar calls started with Bean? Go ahead and show me. You're over here menstruating all over the thread for no reason.

Like I said before... what about the quote you originally quoted screams 'irrationality' and 'ridiculous'? Take your time. I'll be more than happy to illuminate you on any issue that you feel fits the criteria.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Jesus Christ, let me get you a handkerchief. Where did I say that superstar calls started with Bean? Go ahead and show me. You're over here menstruating all over the thread for no reason.

Like I said before... what about the quote you originally quoted screams 'irrationality' and 'ridiculous'? Take your time. I'll be more than happy to illuminate you on any issue that you feel fits the criteria.

I wonder if Bean is even aware that his shitting the bed in the '04 finals was the main catalyst for the rule changes he's now complaining about. But then you get the Bean era where the league goes out of its way to make it easier for him to score?

Rose'sACL
01-21-2014, 04:17 PM

he is a known troll. he is on the level of 9er, rip and sikk. he just doesn't post as much as them and that is why i think you are getting trolled.
that or he never learned how to read.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 04:19 PM
he is a known troll. he is on the level of 9er, rip and sikk. he just doesn't post as much as them and that is why i think you are getting trolled.
that or he never learned how to read.

Show me a post in which I trolled.

Lebron23
01-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Gotta love ESPN and their manufactured stats.

"So and so is the only player to average at least 15pts , 8 ast and 6 rebounds in X amount of games" Who gives a phuck.

What manufactured stats? Here watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNvgCUsJkGA

and add this LBJ game winner against the Pacers in Game of the 2013 ECF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7E-YlJ5lo

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 04:23 PM
What manufactured stats? Here watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNvgCUsJkGA

and add this LBJ game winner against the Pacers in Game of the 2013 ECF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ7E-YlJ5lo

Who cares.

Lebron plays Basketball. :bowdown:

DonDadda59
01-21-2014, 04:31 PM

A quick History lesson that you probably weren't aware of...

Bean's 2004 Finals (From ESPN's 'Ranking the 10 Worst Finals Performances All Time):

[INDENT]Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers, 2004
Lakers vs. Pistons -- Bryant's PER 14.2
"With his feud against Shaq escalating and the series getting away from the Lakers, Bryant began taking whatever shot struck him. Mostly, they struck the rim -- he shot 38.1 percent and had nearly as many turnovers (18) as assists (22) as Detroit romped in five games."

From his Blog Maverick weblog, Mark Cuban's article 'If It

Rose'sACL
01-21-2014, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=DonDadda59]A quick History lesson that you probably weren't aware of...

Bean's 2004 Finals (From ESPN's 'Ranking the 10 Worst Finals Performances All Time):

"With his feud against Shaq escalating and the series getting away from the Lakers, Bryant began taking whatever shot struck him. Mostly, they struck the rim -- he shot 38.1 percent and had nearly as many turnovers (18) as assists (22) as Detroit romped in five games."

Cold soul
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
He's right. Nothing he said was wrong.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 04:45 PM
A quick History lesson that you probably weren't aware of...

Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers, 2004

From his Blog Maverick weblog, Mark Cuban's article 'If It’s Not Broke, Doesn’t Mean It’s Optimal. Even in the NBA';Feb 4th 2009:

"So a few years ago, Im watching the Pistons beat the Lakers in the Finals. I’m seeing Larry Brown’s Pistons fully take advantage of the rules. It was impossible to stay in front of Kobe. He could get anywhere he wanted on the court. The Pistons knew it as well. So every time he tried to get to the basket, they would body up and bump him. The officials did just as they were supposed to. Since Kobe had the advantage on the defender, they didn’t call a foul. However that little bump slowed Kobe down just enough that it gave Ben Wallace a split second more to on a pre rotation to the Paint, to be in a better position to defend the basket. Kobe still scored, but not quite as often as he may have otherwise.

At that point it dawned on me that the concept of playing the advantage in a one on one matchup had nothing to do with which TEAM gained the advantage. After all, its the team that scores the most points that wins. Detroit had a brilliant strategy and was playing it to perfection. After the finals, I sat down with the league and discussed with them the difference between player and team advantage. The discussion lead to changing the rules so that perimeter contact was called far more often."

http://blogmaverick.com/2009/02/04/if-its-not-broke-doesnt-mean-its-optimal-even-in-the-nba/

Cuban, an NBA owner, watched Bean shit the bed against the Pistons and came to the conclusion that defenders had an unfair advantage over offensive perimeter players because of the way games were officiated. He took his concerns to the league, who then began implementing no touching/no camping in the lanes rules which led to a ballooning of perimeter scoring, the peak being the '06 season where many players had career scoring numbers that they have since not come close to replicating (including a 3rd year Lebron putting up 31 PPG). Ironically it came back to bite Cuban in the ass when the legend of D-Whistle was born in the finals that same season :lol

Hope that clears that up for you :cheers:

So Mark Cuban using Kobe as an example proves that the league changed the rules just for Kobe? He didn't bitch about it, Mark Cuban did. And yes, I was already well aware of the rule changes in 06.

Nothing you have posted indicates that Kobe contradicted himself. Kobe got mugged by Boston in 08 as well and I don't recall him ever bitching about it, although I could be wrong.

To say Kobe is THE biggest beneficiary of superstar calls is asinine. That was my original point.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 04:46 PM
ethered in the truest manner possible.

You gonna add anything to the discussion or just dickride another poster?

Rose'sACL
01-21-2014, 04:47 PM
So Mark Cuban using Kobe as an example proves that the league changed the rules just for Kobe? He didn't bitch about it, Mark Cuban did.

Nothing you have posted indicates that Kobe contradicted himself. Kobe got mugged by Boston in 08 as well and I don't recall him ever bitching about it, although I could be wrong.

To say Kobe is THE biggest beneficiary of superstar calls is asinine. That was my original point.
don't kid yourself. kobe and wade benifited the most in that short span. Wade benifited more because he won a ring in that short time.

HOoopCityJones
01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
You gonna add anything to the discussion or just dickride another poster?

That's pretty much all they do around here.

There's four , maybe five to six guys who are worth debating with.

Everyone else seems to be trolling.

Rose'sACL
01-21-2014, 04:50 PM
wade got those calls in finals because of the way league told refs to call the game and not because of any rigged theory.
wade took advantage of that. just watch those playoffs and compare them to most playoffs series from last year and see how much officials don't call in playoffs these days as compared to mid 00s.

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 04:51 PM
don't kid yourself. kobe and wade benifited the most in that short span. Wade benifited more because he won a ring in that short time.

Lebron, Arenas, Iverson, and Kobe all averaged about the same number of FT's in 05-06.

Cold soul
01-21-2014, 04:52 PM
That's pretty much all they do around here.

There's four , maybe five to six guys who are worth debating with.

Everyone else seems to be trolling.

So many damn trolls on this site. The mods need to clean it up.

SilkkTheShocker
01-21-2014, 04:54 PM
http://www.sportsbookgurus.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Raja-Bell.jpg

Akhenaten
01-21-2014, 04:55 PM
PG wasn't able to run this wild because they were small and easier to push off their path while driving to the basket.

All the pg's who "run wild" and drive to basket a lot all do so off of pick and roll
the primary defender isnt able to redirect these PG's because they are being screened.

There is a lot more pick and roll in today's game, where the main people responsible for stopping these penetrating guards are the hedging bigmen.

Gary Payton always says Stockton was his toughest guard, that's because he could never "lock in" on him and use his strength to control and dictate his pace of play because he was running around a TRILLION screens.

Nowadays you have all these point guards using a bunch screens who are all WAY more explosive than a John Stockton, this is why they are "running wild".

What good is a handcheck if you are being walled off by a bunch a 6'9+ guys ALL game long?

Heavincent
01-21-2014, 05:01 PM
http://www.sportsbookgurus.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Raja-Bell.jpg

http://www.everyjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nazr-mohammed-pushes-lebron-james.gif

http://losthatsportsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/LeBron-Teletovic.jpg

:cheers:

DonDadda59
01-21-2014, 05:17 PM
So Mark Cuban using Kobe as an example proves that the league changed the rules just for Kobe? He didn't bitch about it, Mark Cuban did. And yes, I was already well aware of the rule changes in 06.

What the hell are you rambling about?

You asked, I told. Kobe choked hard in the '04 finals, Cuban saw this and took his concerns about officiating and defense to the league, the league made changes the subsequent offseason. Scoring became easier for perimeter players, notably Kobe who won 2 scoring titles as well as others like Wade in the '06 finals where he set the record for FT attempts. Why are you talking about Kobe 'bitching' and all the other irrelevant stuff above? :biggums:

There was nothing 'ridiculous' or 'irrational' about my original post and I provided the evidence to back that assertion up. Just take the L and move on :facepalm

Akhenaten
01-21-2014, 05:21 PM
Lebron, Arenas, Iverson, and Kobe all averaged about the same number of FT's in 05-06.

Why didn't you include Wade?

they all avg around the same, except guys like Lebron, Wade and Iverson actually deserved their FT's

Wade 10.7 (9.18 FGA at the rim, 66% FG)
Kobe 10.2 (5.8 FGA at the rim, 61% FG)
Lebron 10.3 (9.62 FGA at the rim 70% FG)
Arenas 10 (5.3 FGA at the rim 63% FG)
Iverson 11.5 (7.45 FGA at the rim 55%)

How Arenas and Kobe avg virtually the same attempts as guys who attacked the paint AND converted in the paint a FAR higher rate is still a mystery to me.

chazzy
01-21-2014, 06:11 PM
Why didn't you include Wade?

they all avg around the same, except guys like Lebron, Wade and Iverson actually deserved their FT's

Wade 10.7 (9.18 FGA at the rim, 66% FG)
Kobe 10.2 (5.8 FGA at the rim, 61% FG)
Lebron 10.3 (9.62 FGA at the rim 70% FG)
Arenas 10 (5.3 FGA at the rim 63% FG)
Iverson 11.5 (7.45 FGA at the rim 55%)

How Arenas and Kobe avg virtually the same attempts as guys who attacked the paint AND converted in the paint a FAR higher rate is still a mystery to me.
Look at total FGA/G for their rate

Rose'sACL
01-21-2014, 06:12 PM
Look at total FGA/G for their rate
you make the lamest point ever.

Darius
01-21-2014, 06:21 PM

chazzy
01-21-2014, 06:33 PM
you make the lamest point ever.
Do you know what free throw rate is? Are you only given FTs on drives to the rim?

riseagainst
01-21-2014, 06:34 PM

riseagainst
01-21-2014, 06:35 PM
http://www.everyjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/nazr-mohammed-pushes-lebron-james.gif

even tried to flop that push.

:roll: :roll:

Bandito
01-21-2014, 07:08 PM

:roll:

OhNoTimNoSho
01-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Kobe saying the obvious

longtime lurker
01-21-2014, 07:48 PM

tpols
01-21-2014, 07:51 PM

He had Shaq before the rule changes and no shaq after them.

You'd think losing a 30ppg scorer would leave room for more shots.. guess not...

If you were to look up Kobe's highest FGA games, theyd be clustered around where his highest scoring games are... and they happened when he became the definite first option.. it just coincidentily happened to occur, as your article shows, right at the same time as the rule changes

Also Kobe went on jumpshooting sprees to get a lot of his record scoring performances.. the Raptor game was literally all jumpers.. everyone remembers pheonix closeout games again all jumpers. In Kobe's best games he was never just running at the rim getting FTs. Thats not his game.. thats some dwistle shit right there.:oldlol:

SamuraiSWISH
01-21-2014, 08:03 PM
On one hand, he's right. Physical perimeter defense requires more individual skill to be born to shed defenders, and increase bball IQ to be able to get off shots.

I agree, currently it seems like anyone can get to the basket at will with these soft rules on the perimeter.

With physicality on guards or wings it makes the offensive player recognize defenses quicker, including feeling the double team. Also makes players get tougher mentally, and as he said develop a mid range game.

On the flip side, current basketball makes players develop better TEAM basketball skills. Like passing, moving without the ball. So there are some positives.

Something that was lacking in the immediate post MJ generation, who selfishly gunned just to get their own personal numbers up.

In that sense, Kobe is a transitional superstar between eras. He has the individual skill of Jordan, but he lacks the selfless team first sensibility or passing skills, good shot taking mentality that the Nash / CP3 / Wade / LeBron era developed.

Jordan, unlike Kobe had both skill sets because he played under Dean Smith learning the college game first. Where they preach team offense, moving without the ball, passing, etc. So he has the supreme individual skills, as well as knowing how to play proper non hero ball team basketball.

jstern
01-22-2014, 03:15 AM
Kobe explained it really well, in terms of how it makes it easier for lesser players. I've always said, based on my own experience, that even though his numbers would be a little less, a version of current Kobe's with the old rules would be a better player than current Kobe. But that's even more true with the lesser players.

So I'm not saying that today's players are inferior to past players and that they don't have any skills, but rather that they would be better because they would be forced to have a more complete game. A better quality league.