PDA

View Full Version : Vince Carter: The re-imagination of VC

Legends66NBA7
01-22-2014, 01:58 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/vince-carter-the-re-imagination-of-vc/

Whatever perceived sins Vince Carter was guilty of in Toronto have never again manifested themselves in his long career. It’s worth asking if maybe, just maybe, Carter wasn’t the problem. Sportsnet presents Vince Carter: The re-imagination of VC, airing on Wednesday, Jan. 22. immediately following the Mavericks vs. Raptors game.

And in the latest edition of Sportsnet Magazine, Michael Grange goes one-on-one with the former Raptor, as well as all of the major players involved in Carter’s trade out of Toronto, to examine where it all went wrong and ask the question: Is it time to forgive Vince?

I'm going to be at the game, so I'm probably going to miss out on this, but if anybody can send a PvR copy or youtube link to the special, that would be great.

There's been a lot of buzz in Raptor Land about a possibly Vince Carter reunion to the Raptors. He's a free agent after this year, but some think he will be a acquired in a trade.

EDIT - Here's the upload of the documentary. Thanks to rknine15 for the find...:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G2L0WZPM-Q

Jballer
01-22-2014, 04:04 PM
$3.2 Million expiring this year.

Do you think Vince is signing a 1 day to retire or a play off the bench ?

I guess either way he is a lot cheeper than Landry and Salmons; but I would still be leery regarding disinterested d fence. Salmons is getting 20 minutes + per game. Would you want Vince for 20 minutes + ??

If its purely a nostalgia signing - what would be a real kicker is if Vince & TMac signed on for 1 season at $3Mill per year each. I dont know if Tmac can even play but I guess that could be an organizational way of making peace with the past.

Legends66NBA7
01-22-2014, 04:17 PM
McGrady retired from the NBA. I heavily doubt he would attempt a comeback.

Vince is currently playing just under 25+ minutes. He's going to be 38 next year, I can definitely see him playing around 20-25 minutes, at least for a season.

I mean, even right now, he could be a huge lift for the Raptors bench He's one of the Top backups in the league at the SG/SF position. He is currently having a down year from his previous season, which is expected, but to just bring him in and play a 3 point shooter/defend role like Ross ? I could see the Raptors pulling something off.

Plus, what if this could actually lure potential free agents towards the Raptors organization in the future. If players see that the Raptors management now have good ties with Vince, they could see themselves coming into the fold too.

Oh well, here's to seeing what can happen.

kaiteng
01-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Vince could play Ray Allen role of a veteran who shoots threes and clutch shots.

Dr.Funk
01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Vince can go **** himself.

SaS820
01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
what would be a real kicker is if Vince & TMac signed on for 1 season at $3Mill per year each. I dont know if Tmac can even play but I guess that could be an organizational way of making peace with the past.
T-Mac is essentially worm-food now. To give him $3mill as a peace-offering would be brainless especially since he'd be glued to the bench behind T-Ross, Demar and hypothetically VC. Also, T-Ross is poised for a breakout season, why cut his minutes in favour of a sad attempt to recapture the Air Canada Vince that no longer exists? The last thing Dwane Casey wants is a pair of veteran wings who can't/won't play D.

kmart
01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Vince could play Ray Allen role of a veteran who shoots threes and clutch shots.

Lebron = Lebron
Derozan = Wade
Val = Bosh
Amir = Haslem
VC. = Wade

Just like how everyone thought it would be.:roll:

Toni
01-23-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm ok with Vince now.

He can even come off the bench for us and play for the vet min too if he wants. Seems like he has a little left in the tank after watching last night's game.

kaiteng
01-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Lebron = Lebron
Derozan = Wade
Val = Bosh
Amir = Haslem
VC. = Allen

Just like how everyone thought it would be.:roll:
Fixed.

A man can dream, eh? :oldlol: :D

Jballer
01-28-2014, 05:52 PM
T-Mac is essentially worm-food now. To give him $3mill as a peace-offering would be brainless especially since he'd be glued to the bench behind T-Ross, Demar and hypothetically VC. Also, T-Ross is poised for a breakout season, why cut his minutes in favour of a sad attempt to recapture the Air Canada Vince that no longer exists? The last thing Dwane Casey wants is a pair of veteran wings who can't/won't play D.

Ergo my statement ...do we want VC at any price given the in attention to D ? Even off the bench?

Too bad for Tmac. I thought he was rehabing maybe playing International Ball.

No I dont want Vince for this team. I dont want him for vet leadership because I dont think he provides it. I dont want him over Landry Fields and Novak.

I was only mentioning Vince and Tmac off the bench as Vet Min contracts because :

1) Make peace with the past - reassure players and agents Toronto Fans wont hate forever...

2) Ohh what an interesting Glory stunt in the very same year Toronto will host an All Star Game (near enough)..... Hmmmm would that raise the team profile or sell a little bit of nostalga merchandise ???

Legends66NBA7
02-01-2014, 12:42 AM
I've put the uploaded version of this show in the OP now for anybody who hasn't watched it yet.

Prodigy
02-01-2014, 10:03 PM
Ergo my statement ...do we want VC at any price given the in attention to D ? Even off the bench?

Too bad for Tmac. I thought he was rehabing maybe playing International Ball.

No I dont want Vince for this team. I dont want him for vet leadership because I dont think he provides it. I dont want him over Landry Fields and Novak.

I was only mentioning Vince and Tmac off the bench as Vet Min contracts because :

1) Make peace with the past - reassure players and agents Toronto Fans wont hate forever...

2) Ohh what an interesting Glory stunt in the very same year Toronto will host an All Star Game (near enough)..... Hmmmm would that raise the team profile or sell a little bit of nostalga merchandise ???

If the organization wanted to make peace with Vince they could just retire his number. Tmac hardly made a splash here.

Qwyjibo
02-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Retiring Vince's # would be silly and would reek of a relatively young franchise desperate for attention and acceptance. I'm beyond the hate/spite for Vince too so it has nothing to do with that. He may have been the first big thing for the franchise but he just didn't do near enough to warrant a number being retired. It was 6 very productive years but that's it.

I think think it's completely ridiculous that these things are even being discussed. Save these honours for great players that spend most of their career here and who were also part of truly great teams. For now, this franchise hasn't had that.

bk33
02-04-2014, 03:03 PM
I think think it's completely ridiculous that these things are even being discussed. Save these honours for great players that spend most of their career here and who were also part of truly great teams. For now, this franchise hasn't had that.
Agreed, I hate it when people use the "greatest in franchise history", well it doesn't mean that much when the franchise has no history, should the Magic retire T-Mac? should the Bobcats retire All-time points leader Gerald Wallace? Same goes with Alvin Williams I remember kids here used to say his number should be retired because he played on bum knees :facepalm

lilbeastnani
02-05-2014, 06:53 PM
I got over VC leaving a long ass time ago. Now he's like that ex girlfriend from a decade ago that gave you your first BJ *pause.*

T-Low
02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't mind Vince playing here. It's been years and people just need to get over it.

Jballer
02-06-2014, 04:58 PM
Agreed, I hate it when people use the "greatest in franchise history", well it doesn't mean that much when the franchise has no history, should the Magic retire T-Mac? should the Bobcats retire All-time points leader Gerald Wallace? Same goes with Alvin Williams I remember kids here used to say his number should be retired because he played on bum knees :facepalm

I think I disagree. Not strongly or anything but put it in perspective.

You create tradtions at "some point". You gotta start them sometime or else you never have them.

I am no kid - 40+ - and I would honor both Alvin and MoPete.

I mean the Toronto Maple Leafs have not won "anything" since 1967 and they still retired the jerseys of Doug Gilmor and (marginal hall of famer) Wendel Clarke. Their traditions are based on age of franchise as opposed to actual accomplishments in the last 30 years. Further they will retire Matts Sunden (if they havent already). Matts should be a likely first ballot Hall of Famer but he certainly did not win anything here ! Nor did Bjorge Salming (spelling) and I think they retired his number ??

Toronto Blue Jays have won exactly 2 World Series titles (1992/93) since 1977 and have won little since. They have retired... or at least put on the "wall of fame" far more players and contributors than helped them win those 2 lonely titles. Further some of the guys on the wall of fame will NEVER make it to the Baseball Hall of Fame... NEVER... Dave Steib anyone ?

I mean bottom line is this franchise has nothing in its pockets but a copule of Atlantic division titles... but that does not prohibit honoring of great players / great citizens of past teams.

Jballer
02-06-2014, 05:39 PM
Maybe you dont "retire the jersey" - maybe you create a wall of fame as well and then "retire the jersey if the guy makes the hall of fame".

You gotta do something.

Guys I would honor

Damon Mighty Mouse Stodamire
TMac
Vince
Alvin
MoPete
Antonio Davis

and eventually...

Chris Bosh
Jose Calderon

I am unsure about Bargnani... I might be letting personal disappointment in the player over shadow his years here. Maybe after a number of years I might soften and change my mind.

kaiteng
02-15-2014, 01:01 AM
Maybe you dont "retire the jersey" - maybe you create a wall of fame as well and then "retire the jersey if the guy makes the hall of fame".

You gotta do something.

Guys I would honor

Damon Mighty Mouse Stodamire
TMac
Vince
Alvin
MoPete
Antonio Davis

and eventually...

Chris Bosh
Jose Calderon

I am unsure about Bargnani... I might be letting personal disappointment in the player over shadow his years here. Maybe after a number of years I might soften and change my mind.
Vince will definitely be honoured. It will take sometimes though ala Robbie Alomar.

Dr.Funk
02-15-2014, 09:13 AM
They can put his face inside every urinal.

Zan Tabak
02-15-2014, 03:04 PM
If the team wants to retire his number and/or honor him, I have no problems with that. He did do a lot for this franchise. Before Vince came along the Raptors were basically a D league team that NOBODY wanted to play for. He literately put this team on the map.

Jballer
02-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Maybe the key is "downplay" Vince's enshrinement in Toronto. Mix it is with others... like Mighty Mouse.

The good Dr is still some bitter... and in fairness I think a lot of fans still are.

I recall a new item from a Suns game couple of years ago. Nash (in a joking fashion) was playing with Vince and had the entire team boo Vince loudly during Suns only practice shoot around... explained after the team was preping Vince for the game :cheers:

rightsideup
04-23-2014, 03:09 PM
vince really spiked the interest in basketball in canada