PDA

View Full Version : Will this be another season where we Pretend LBJ's Defense > Durant's?

I.R.Beast
01-22-2014, 07:03 PM
I mean this year it's more clear than ever that durant is a better defensive player.

GOATbe
01-22-2014, 07:06 PM
Agreed, Lebron is one of the worst defenders in the league right now. He gets blown past on EVERY drive his defender attempts and depends on help defense to save him from getting posterized.

PJR
01-22-2014, 07:07 PM
There isn't a basketball coach on this planet earth who will tell you Durant is on equal footing with LeBron as far as defense is concerned.

Not a single one.

Mr Exlax
01-22-2014, 07:09 PM
There isn't a basketball coach on this planet earth who will tell you Durant is on equal footing with LeBron as far as defense is concerned.

Not a single one.

At the moment, he's better because LeBron is coasting. Don't deny the facts man.

SamuraiSWISH
01-22-2014, 07:11 PM
Are we going to act like LeBron didn't have a legit, scratch that, STRONG case for DPOY in 2011, and 2012 ... and got beat out by an even superior interior defensive presence in a prime Dwight Howard?

With that said, I agree. LeBron is being lazy, compartmentalizing his energy for yet the 4th straight championship run, so it's excusable. But it's the worse defense he's played since 2007. But he's clearly not trying, either.

In addition, let's not act like Paul George's defense isn't even more overrated. He gets to play as aggressive as he wants because the DPOY and only intimidating defensive anchor in the paint league wide gives the Pacers perimeter defense the over confidence to play as aggressive as they want with little repercussions because of the supreme rim protection.

K Xerxes
Another season? This is the first season Durant has been a better defender than James.

And this doesn't mean Durant is a better defender per se. It wasn't that long ago that James' defense was a major reason they won it all in 13. I'll start reconsidering this stance when James' lazy defense carries on into the playoffs, although I expect him to amp it up on that front when it really matters.

Major props to Durant for improving this side of the court. I remember James made a similar jump when he was 25-ish. All-defensive honors is a possibility for him this season.

GOATbe
At the moment, he's better because LeBron is coasting. Don't deny the facts man.
Will you use this excuse when Durant shits on Lebron next week to? :lol

Trollsmasher
01-22-2014, 07:13 PM
It's basically bound to happen the other way though:lol

PJR
01-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Not a single one.

Mr Exlax
01-22-2014, 07:16 PM

What excuse? Because it's my opinion that LeBron is coasting? Call me crazy but I think LeBron is only concerned about winning another championship. Not too concerned about the regular season games as of now.

Mr Exlax
01-22-2014, 07:16 PM

Not a single one.

I kid I kid.

I.R.Beast
01-22-2014, 07:17 PM
Durant's opponents
Less than 5ft. - 53%
5-9ft - 36%
10-14ft- 43%
15-19 ft. 33%
20-24ft- 37%

Lebron's opponents -
less than 5ft. - 60%
5-9ft - 46%
10-14ft- 40%
15-19 ft. 41%
20-24ft- 38%

yeah...better defender...right

This is going to be the 4th straight season durant is holding his opponents to a lower FG%...smh...

I.R.Beast
01-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Lebron on ball defense has never been special...he doesnt get many blocks, is a decent steals guy , so exactly what makes him a great defender?... Are we supposed to believe that just because you guys say so?...We don't see any demonstration of his great defense...

RightToCensor
01-22-2014, 07:22 PM
Lebron usually guards the best player on the other team, yet Durant usually guards the 2nd best player, with Thabo guarding the best.

I think Lebron's defensive effort has decreased with the amount of fatigue he's garnered up since his coming to Miami.

KD has all the skill except weight to be an elite defender when guarding players.

scm5
01-22-2014, 07:22 PM
We should really only be looking at 3 match ups to figure out who the better defender is...

LBJ vs KD
LBJ vs PG
KD vs PG

LBJ vs KD:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=duranke01

Lebron and KD have been lighting each other up ever since KD stepped in the league.

LBJ vs PG:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=jamesle01&p2=georgpa01

Looking only at this season since this is the first season PG has really emerged as a Top Level talent. Lebron shut down PG for a game, it looked like the only time PG could score was when Lebron wasn't on him. Similarly though, PG did a fantastic job on Lebron, but that has nothing to do with this debate.

KD vs PG:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=georgpa01&p2=duranke01

Only 1 game this season, but KD couldn't do anything to stop PG.

G-Funk
01-22-2014, 07:24 PM
I saw some stats showing Durant was a better rim protector than Lebron is.

scm5
01-22-2014, 07:25 PM
I saw some stats showing Durant was a better rim protector than Lebron is.

Me too:

Lebron:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

.3 bpg

Durant:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duranke01.html

.8 bpg

Durant is almost three times the rim protector Lebron is!!!!

Black and White
01-22-2014, 07:26 PM
Lebron usually guards the best player on the other team, yet Durant usually guards the 2nd best player, with Thabo guarding the best.

I think Lebron's defensive effort has decreased with the amount of fatigue he's garnered up since his coming to Miami.

KD has all the skill except weight to be an elite defender when guarding players.

While I agree overall Bron is the better defender, this is a flat out lie, I have seen him refuse to guard Melo in game before, PG is the guy who defends the best perimeter player every game, not Bron.

PJR
01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
Lebron on ball defense has never been special...he doesnt get many blocks, is a decent steals guy , so exactly what makes him a great defender?... Are we supposed to believe that just because you guys say so?...We don't see any demonstration of his great defense...

All you have to do is admit that don't know anything about basketball, and we can keep it moving.

Do you even know what help and team defense is? Proper positioning? The ability to recover to the weak side? Anticipation? What about versatility?

I.R.Beast
01-22-2014, 07:34 PM
While I agree overall Bron is the better defender, this is a flat out lie, I have seen him refuse to guard Melo in game before, PG is the guy who defends the best perimeter player every game, not Bron.

Noone can ever show substantive evidence to support their claims for LBJ's great defense...This getting ridiculous...surely something has to show up somewhere?... And i laugh at anyone that says LBJ guards the best player on the other team...smh...THe miami heat help , trap and switch more than any other team in the league that has been their M.O. since SPo took over and it hasnt changed since then....

G-Funk
01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Lebron James is an overhyped 1on1 defender. Ive seen Durant lock up Kobe before, Ive never seen Bron do that.

I.R.Beast
01-22-2014, 07:36 PM
All you have to do is admit that don't know anything about basketball, and we can keep it moving.

Do you even know about help and team defense? Positioning? Anticipation? What about versatility?
Does he position himself to get more blocks than KD?..no...hold his opponent to lower shooting percentages?...nope...more steals?...nope...Like i said , I want evidence...Miami was a great team defense before lebron got there it's SPO's philosophy.

Black and White
01-22-2014, 07:37 PM
Noone can ever show substantive evidence to support their claims for LBJ's great defense...This getting ridiculous...surely something has to show up somewhere?... And i laugh at anyone that says LBJ guards the best player on the other team...smh...THe miami heat help , trap and switch more than any other team in the league that has been their M.O. since SPo took over and it hasnt changed since then....

Very good point :applause: Their defensive switches are obvious, this season, Bron has no case over Durant offensively or defensively.

HOoopCityJones
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
Lebron James is an overhyped 1on1 defender. Ive seen Durant lock up Kobe before, Ive never seen Bron do that.

2011 forsure.

KingBeasley08
01-22-2014, 07:38 PM
LeBron's a better defender than Durant.

Next

Mr. Jabbar
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
lebrons defense or wilt killing a mountain lion, which nba fairy tale is da bess?

Black and White
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
LeBron's a better defender than Durant.

Next

Not this season tho

Joyner82reload
01-22-2014, 07:58 PM
LeBron's better at help defense and guarding PG's/post players. Durant is MUCH better at guarding SG's, SF's, and stretch PF's. Durant can flat out lock down 90% of the SG's/SF's in the league. If they're not fast enough to drive by him, they have no hope of getting off a decent shot over his length.

/thread

PJR
01-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Does he position himself to get more blocks than KD?..no...hold his opponent to lower shooting percentages?...nope...more steals?...nope...Like i said , I want evidence...Miami was a great team defense before lebron got there it's SPO's philosophy.

Like I said, you either know basketball or you don't.

I like Durant. But to suggest he's even on a EQUAL footing with LeBron on defense is down right loony. Like I said, there isn't a coach out there who would agree with that assessment.

Now Durant has developed into an adequate man defender, but he is by no means shape or form elite overall.

First of all, he has a ton of trouble fighting through screens, he also struggles against guys in the post. Secondly, he still uses his arms way to much to defend instead of moving his feet. He's a decent shot blocker and he's a good man defender because of his length to challenge shots but overall his defensive instincts and I.Q aren't great. At all.

During the 2012 Finals, Miami exposed Durant's lack of defensive instincts big time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=koSHheuLgQw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WkJGcHT9zoQ

Now granted, some of these plays are bad defensive strategy by Scott Brooks, but a lot of these plays show Durant doing his best Amare Stoudemire impression on defense.

Now look at LeBron:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFWdMzTNjdQ&feature=player_embedded

There's a stark contrast between the two in defensive IQ.

You're welcome.

LongLiveTheKing
01-22-2014, 08:09 PM
Lol Lebron is a way better defender. Wait until the playoffs

SpecialQue
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Yes, it will be.

...next

/thread

chazzy
01-22-2014, 08:12 PM
Lebron has looked lazy defensively. He's rebounding rate is at its lowest since 2010, career low blocks and steals %, career low defensive rating. Even if you think he's better than Durant defensively, it's not by a significant amount this year.

EllisGW
01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
come back when durant shuts down all star players in the playoffs

Ask rose and parker

Durant does not even guard good wings players that is Sefolosha's job.

People talking about good defense lol

Droid101
01-22-2014, 08:15 PM
What do the playoffs have to do with regular season defense?

LongLiveTheKing
01-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Lebron passes the eye test, KD doesn't. /thread

EllisGW
01-22-2014, 08:18 PM
Lebron has looked lazy defensively. He's rebounding rate is at its lowest since 2010, career low blocks and steals %, career low defensive rating. Even if you think he's better than Durant defensively, it's not by a significant amount this year.

Durant continues to guard the worse players on the other teams starting 5. lol

It's not rocket science to figure that sefolosha guards the best wing players and Ibaka guard the best big men. Durant has never step on two court and shut down an all star in a playoff game. lol

EllisGW
01-22-2014, 08:20 PM
What do the playoffs have to do with regular season defense?

that is when real defense is played

EllisGW
01-22-2014, 08:22 PM
IF KD was great defensively, sefelosha would be a trade block because he serves no value

INDI
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM

Ask rose and parker

Durant does not even guard good wings players that is Sefolosha's job.

People talking about good defense lol
Lol Miami switches on almost all picks. You barely see Bron even fight through a pick lol

knicksman
01-22-2014, 08:51 PM
KD vs PG:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=georgpa01&p2=duranke01

Only 1 game this season, but KD couldn't do anything to stop PG.

because the game is already over before it even started

dabigbaws
01-22-2014, 08:52 PM
IF KD was great defensively, sefelosha would be a trade block because he serves no value

no, he is still starting cause scott brooks is a retard

Combat Wombat
01-22-2014, 08:56 PM
that is when real defense is played

I guess that explains Bron's -8 FG% drop off in the playoffs.

Illuminati
01-22-2014, 08:57 PM
LeBron's defense this season has been very suspect, having 3 straight finals/Olympics appearances under his belt might have something to do with it. I expect him to rest for the last 10-15 games of the season for the playoffs. We can judge him then.

But since 2008-2009 LeBron has been one of the best defenders in the league (excluding this season).

HoopsFanNumero1
01-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Are we talking about the same guy that Brooks had to hide behind Chalmers in the Finals :lol

JohnFreeman
01-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Durant killed Chalmers in the 2012 finals :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

NumberSix
01-22-2014, 10:07 PM
LeBron's defense has been pretty weak this season. Durant isn't exactly a defensive powerhouse though.

You see what LeBron is capable of when he puts in the effort, but it's just not often enough. What you CAN do doesn't really matter.

NumberSix
01-22-2014, 10:12 PM
No, you haven't. LeBron is not the head coach of the Miami Heat. He doesn't make those calls. Unless you have an instance of Spo telling LeBron to guard Melo and LeBron refusing, you're spinning yarns.

riseagainst
01-22-2014, 10:15 PM
Agreed, Lebron is one of the worst defenders in the league right now. He gets blown past on EVERY drive his defender attempts and depends on help defense to save him from getting posterized.

:applause:

I<3NBA
01-22-2014, 10:19 PM
Lebron passes the eye test, KD doesn't. /thread
damn! :lol