PDA

View Full Version : Pick a perfect NCAA bracket -> Win $1.000.000.000

BigTicket
01-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Correctly predicting the outcome of every game in the NCAA men's basketball tournament is no layup. There's now a $1 billion prize waiting for anyone able to pull off the feat this spring.

You read that right. That's billion. With a "B."

Quicken Loans Inc. announced Tuesday that it will team with investor Warren Buffett's Omaha, Neb.,-based Berkshire Hathaway on the "Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge."

The Detroit-based mortgage lender says any qualified entrant who correctly predicts the winners of every game in the tournament will be paid in 40 annual installments of $25 million.

The odds of achieving such a feat? Well, there are 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 -- that's 9 quintillion (with a "Q") -- ways to fill out a bracket, and entries will be limited to one per household.

A winner can elect to receive an immediate $500 million lump-sum payment or share in that payment if there's more than one perfect bracket submitted

Obviously the chances of getting it just right are not very good, but it's free to enter, and you can win a billion dollars ...

Worth a shot i think, especially if you were planning on making a bracket anyway.

#number6ix#
01-23-2014, 06:38 AM
Challenge accepted

BlazerRed
01-23-2014, 07:49 AM
The odds of achieving such a feat? Well, there are 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 -- that's 9 quintillion (with a "Q") -- ways to fill out a bracket.

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ILLsmak
01-23-2014, 08:11 AM
Proof that odds don't mean everything: someone will pick it and they are gonna have to fork over 1 billion. loool. Wait and see.

That's called "testing fate and getting fukt."

also lol @ 40 annual installments of 25 mil. Get this chump change bs out of here. GIMME MY BILLION.

-Smak

BoutPractice
01-23-2014, 12:02 PM
The worst thing is, I'm pretty sure a lot of people would take those odds.

BigTicket
01-23-2014, 12:04 PM
If you are just guessing randomly, your odds are 1 in 9,223,372,036,854,775,808 as the article explained.

However, if you know college basketball you should obviosly be able to do better than random.

If for example you could on average predict the winner 80% of the time, then your odds would be about 1 in a million.

bagelred
01-23-2014, 12:10 PM
It's not 9 quintillion...I mean, technically it is, but not every game is 50/50. For example, in the first round, many of those games are easily predictable....

I read it's really more like 250 billion to 1 odds.

BoutPractice
01-23-2014, 12:11 PM
If for example you could on average predict the winner 80% of the time, then your odds would be about 1 in a million.
But how many people could actually predict with that accuracy? I'm not sure you can sustain a 80% success rate on average, even if you just "know basketball". The NCAA is famous for its upsets, and they most likely modeled the payoff based on past data about bracket accuracy. The only way you could stand a human chance of winning at a game like this is if you're a mobster and you can somehow rig all the games, with no exception.

OmniStrife
01-23-2014, 12:16 PM
I think that statistically one has more chance of making a billion by other means... :lol

HurricaneKid
01-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Getting 80% on the first round is fine. But the further into the bracket you get the harder it is. Do you really mean to tell us that you have had the Champion right 8 of the last 10 years?

BigTicket
01-23-2014, 12:47 PM
Getting 80% on the first round is fine. But the further into the bracket you get the harder it is. Do you really mean to tell us that you have had the Champion right 8 of the last 10 years?

Heh, of course not.

I didn't say I could predict the winner 80% of the time, but I think it's possible that someone could get that kind of accuracy, if they really spend a lot of time studying every matchup.

BigTicket
01-23-2014, 12:48 PM
I think that statistically one has more chance of making a billion by other means... :lol

I think you're right, but it costs nothing to enter, and a lot of people are going to be making brackets anyway, so why not take a free change at making a billion ?

freshperry
01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Keep in mind though college basketball has way more upsets compared to NBA because these college kids always find a way to choke. Who remembers "HEARTBREAK CITY" UCLA vs Gonzaga? That was priceless

GOBB
01-23-2014, 12:51 PM
Proof that odds don't mean everything: someone will pick it and they are gonna have to fork over 1 billion. loool. Wait and see.

also lol @ 40 annual installments of 25 mil. Get this chump change bs out of here. GIMME MY BILLION.

-Smak

You're really complaining at the installments? :oldlol:

It's $25,000,000! And you put up what? Guesses to a bracket? There are posters here who literally would suck a c0ck for $1billion (check OTC forum). I can handle $25mil per year. You're set for a lifetime.

wang4three
01-23-2014, 01:05 PM

-Smak

I rather take the annuity over one lump sum. Lump sums are dangerous.

Fowl
01-23-2014, 01:08 PM
You're really complaining at the installments? :oldlol:

It's $25,000,000! And you put up what? Guesses to a bracket? There are posters here who literally would suck a c0ck for $1billion (check OTC forum). I can handle $25mil per year. You're set for a lifetime.
You wouldn't?

Budadiiii
01-23-2014, 02:29 PM
You wouldn't?
Nope!

GOBB all about his character...... even if it means living in a 1 bedroom apartment the rest of his life.

He's my role model.

GOBB
01-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Of course I wouldn't. Stupid question.

Nope!

GOBB all about his character...... even if it means living in a 1 bedroom apartment the rest of his life.

He's my role model.

Thought I lived in the basement of my mothers? Now in a 1 bedroom apartment. Can't wait for next month to be in a house with a garage. :bowdown:

oarabbus
01-23-2014, 05:34 PM

-Smak

:facepalm :rolleyes:

and no one's gonna pick it. Ever.

cos88
01-23-2014, 05:40 PM
so 32 matches followed by 16/8/4/2/1

how many possibilities are to get all the possible matchups?

KyrieTheFuture
01-23-2014, 05:48 PM
If you wouldn't suck a dick for a billion dollars you must be so uncomfortable with your sexuality and are probably actually gay. If you know you're not gay, who cares? A billion dollars can literally buy you a new life story.

oarabbus
01-23-2014, 05:50 PM
If you wouldn't suck a dick for a billion dollars you must be so uncomfortable with your sexuality and are probably actually gay. If you know you're not gay, who cares? A billion dollars can literally buy you a new life story.

This is true.

TheMarkMadsen
01-23-2014, 05:56 PM
The risk isn't worth the reward for me

ihoopallday
01-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Top 20 closest picks get $200k each. :lol Since it's limited to 1 bracket per household, I'm submitting a bracket from every relatives house I know. Hopefully we don't end up in court when one my brackets wins.

GOBB
01-23-2014, 06:50 PM

Wrong. What else do you got to offer Dr Phil?

Illuminati
01-23-2014, 06:58 PM
You wouldn't suck a dick for 5 minutes, to have one billion dollars the rest of your life.

You know how stupid you sound.