PDA

View Full Version : New Team USA pool announced

Dr.J4ever
01-23-2014, 01:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10335862/usa-basketball-announce-wide-variety-standouts-new-28-player-pool

moe94
01-23-2014, 01:41 PM
What's good with the boy Wall doe?

noob cake
01-23-2014, 01:52 PM
What's good with the boy Wall doe?

Wall was probably left off (Beal even made it) because he can't shoot. International game relies more on spacing.

Let's look at all the guards minus Rose's corpse.

Other than Harden and Williams being good shooters, they other players are all exceptional shooters.

Williams
Beal
Irving
Korver
Lillard
Thompson
Curry
Harden
Paul

CeltsGarlic
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Damn, that backcourt looks crazy.

scm5
01-23-2014, 02:16 PM
I would imagine a lineup of:

Lillard
Curry
Durant
Lebron
Love

Would blow out any team by 30+ by the half.

Everyone drains 3's at a high rate and with Love rebounding and outlet-passing to Lebron and Durant... my god.

IncarceratedBob
01-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Lillard
Curry
Durant
Lebron
Love

Everyone drains 3's at a high rate and with Love rebounding and outlet-passing to Lebron and Durant... my god.

Swap Lillard with Klay, probably the best 3pt shooter in the L. Sickest stroke.

Klay and Steph have great chemistry and Curry is a great distributer. Lillard is just flash in the pan.

MUGEN
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM
Swap Lillard with Klay, probably the best 3pt shooter in the L. Sickest stroke.

Klay and Steph have great chemistry and Curry is a great distributer. Lillard is just flash in the pan.

ugh Lillard is one of the best three point shooters in the league and this season has proved that. Get that BS outta here. It's basically a toss up between those three players at this point..look up some stats and come back

Anywho great list of players :applause: Should lead to some fun matches

Sakkreth
01-23-2014, 02:32 PM

Lillard
Curry
Durant
Lebron
Love

I see what you are saying, but that 30+ blow out by the half isn't happening if shots aren't falling, and against top international teams it ain't happening even if it's falling...

IncarceratedBob
01-23-2014, 02:36 PM
ugh Lillard is one of the best three point shooters in the league and this season has proved that. Get that BS outta here. It's basically a toss up between those three players at this point..look up some stats and come back

Anywho great list of players :applause: Should lead to some fun matches

He's having a hot half. Richard Jefferson once shot 49% from three in a half. Klay and Steph are clearly better shooters from deep. Lillard will go cold and he will end up with a 3PT% of >37. Get real or get out.

Joyner82reload
01-23-2014, 02:40 PM
If Durant plays, we win. It's as simple as that.

MUGEN
01-23-2014, 02:44 PM
He's having a hot half. Richard Jefferson once shot 49% from three in a half. Klay and Steph are clearly better shooters from deep. Lillard will go cold and he will end up with a 3PT% of >37. Get real or get out.

So what you're saying is that you have nothing to back it up other than wishful thinking? Stop clowning and back it up.

kaiteng
01-23-2014, 02:45 PM
BTW, why this Basketball World Cup has 5 years cycle instead of fitting in the Olympics cycle? :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

Edit: Oh, they probably just want to move away from FIFA World Cup year and that's it. :hammerhead:

FKAri
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Lillard
Curry
Durant
Lebron
Love

Love can't guard bigs tho. Hopefully a more stable lineup includes someone else at the C.

kshutts1
01-23-2014, 03:25 PM
My lineup would be...

Lillard
Curry
Klay
Durant
Drummond

No one will stop that.

Crafty
01-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Serious question. Did Kobe retired from the national team?

Nick Young
01-23-2014, 03:48 PM
Love can't guard bigs tho. Hopefully a more stable lineup includes someone else at the C.
Love can guard Euroscrub bigs. These FIBA teams are tiny compared to NBA teams.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Yeah, I am sure Love can guard guys like Gasol brothers, Scola, Ajinca, Schortsanitis, Bourousis, Tomic, Krstic, Koufos, Bogut, etc. , etc., etc. around the basket..............

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

And Dwight Howard was almost always SMALLER than the other team's center when he has played in FIBA. Stop smoking meth.

Sakkreth
01-23-2014, 04:21 PM

Lol, he can't guard scrubs and there are lot of international big men that aren't scrubs. There will be enough scoring for team USA, pick someone who can defend instead of jacking up threes would be better for them imo.

Genaro
01-23-2014, 04:25 PM
USA must have a defensive center down low. (D12, Chandler or Davis)
There a lot of good international bigs especially under FIBA's rules.

Chrono90
01-23-2014, 04:28 PM
New comer team looks weak.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 04:30 PM
Lol, he can't guard scrubs and there are lot of international big men that aren't scrubs. There will be enough scoring for team USA, pick someone who can defend instead of jacking up threes would be better for them imo.

I am sure they would have to put Chandler and/or Howard on the team. At least one, and maybe both of them.

They only won in 2010 due to ref rigging, and complete miracles of the draws and they know it.

They barely won in 2012 because Spain was a little weaker than normal.

Now Spain would be stronger, and is playing at home.

I give a ZERO CHANCE IN FREAKING HELL that they would even dare try to play with Love at center the whole tournament.

If they are that dumb, the amount of ref rigging they need will be astronomical, and certainly at that point, there will finally be a backlash from other countries, because of course, you know they already plan for USA and Spain in the finals.

And USA would need massive amounts of ref help to make it past even the 16th finals with Love as their main center.

Nick Young is out of his freaking mind, as usual.

I<3NBA
01-23-2014, 04:38 PM
Serious question. Did Kobe retired from the national team?
he's a cripple. you want him to play?

R.I.P.
01-23-2014, 04:54 PM

Lillard
Curry
Durant
Lebron
Love

Till Love sees Rubio on the floor, then it

alexd
01-23-2014, 04:54 PM
Chandler/davis
lebron
carmelo
durant
cp3
no need for anyone else

Grinder
01-23-2014, 05:09 PM
Some of the selections are odd to me. Kenneth Faried? There's guys that can fill his rebounding, high energy role that are more skilled. John Wall was snubbed. Deron Williams has been consistently injured and needs his off seasons, why include him? If we're looking for good, two way role players, why not Arron Afflalo?

My team for the World Cup:
Curry / Lillard
Harden / Westbrook
George / Thompson / Iguodala
Durant / Love
Aldridge / Davis / Griffin

I'm assuming that guys on the 08 team won't suit up.

scm5
01-23-2014, 05:20 PM

It's not like euroleague bigs are dropping 30+ a game, and even if they do, that's such a high powered offense if the shots are falling that it wouldn't even matter. Love picking up missed 3's and giving the team another look might just make up for his lack of defense. Love has some ridiculous outlet passes and Lebron and KD are two of the best on the fast break. Oh yeah... fast break 3's from Curry and Lillard? As long as the they're not cold, it should be a blowout every game.

It would just be such a fun team to watch.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Some of the selections are odd to me. Kenneth Faried? There's guys that can fill his rebounding, high energy role that are more skilled. John Wall was snubbed. Deron Williams has been consistently injured and needs his off seasons, why include him? If we're looking for good, two way role players, why not Arron Afflalo?

My team for the World Cup:
Curry / Lillard
Harden / Westbrook
George / Thompson / Iguodala
Durant / Love
Aldridge / Davis / Griffin

I'm assuming that guys on the 08 team won't suit up.

Curry - Harden back court has disaster written all over it in a tournament of this magnitude.

One guy (Curry) is way too small and has no chance to guard anyone on the better international teams, and they will completely destroy him on pick and roll. Not to mention that all those super long 3s he takes will kill you in a close game if they don't go in.

The other guy (Harden) is an enormous ball hog, plays no defense, and his whole offense is just piling into the lane throwing himself into the defense trying to get the whistle blown. That crap works like a charm in the NBA.

But in FIBA, even with the USA being favored 70/30 or even 80/20 in almost every game, believe it or not, you still do not get THAT bullshit call that the freaking pansies NBA gives.

Never mind that both of those guys are very prone to heat checks and going it alone, rather than passing, and you just know you could see Durant being frozen out at key stretches of the game.

Yeah, that's like the next Iverson - Marbury 2004 Olympics just waiting to happen.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 06:56 PM
It's not like euroleague bigs are dropping 30+ a game, and even if they do, that's such a high powered offense if the shots are falling that it wouldn't even matter. Love picking up missed 3's and giving the team another look might just make up for his lack of defense. Love has some ridiculous outlet passes and Lebron and KD are two of the best on the fast break. Oh yeah... fast break 3's from Curry and Lillard? As long as the they're not cold, it should be a blowout every game.

It would just be such a fun team to watch.

USA won't stay within 20 points of Spain in an elimination game with Love playing center.

oarabbus
01-23-2014, 06:57 PM
USA must have a defensive center down low. (D12, Chandler or Davis)
There a lot of good international bigs especially under FIBA's rules.

Davis easily :rockon:

Xsatyr
01-23-2014, 07:00 PM
BTW, why this Basketball World Cup has 5 years cycle instead of fitting in the Olympics cycle? :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug: :confusedshrug:

Edit: Oh, they probably just want to move away from FIFA World Cup year and that's it. :hammerhead:

It's a four year cycle.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 07:03 PM
12 man roster:

Captains:

LeBron
Durant
CP3

Aldridge
P. George
Harden
Curry
Iguodala

D. Howard
T. Chandler
K. Love
D. Cousins

There is no chance in hell those two prima donnas would play.

SamuraiSWISH
01-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Greece doesn't stand a chance...

There is no chance in hell those two prima donnas would play.
Why? LeBron has competed A LOT he has pride in his country: 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012. He's said he might play, I wouldn't doubt it if CP3 plays again. Steph Curry will kill in FIBA ball. As if Durant hasn't already showed he can dominate by himself like he did in 2010.

12 man roster:

Captains:

LeBron
Durant
CP3

The Rest:

Aldridge
P. George
Harden
Curry
Iguodala

D. Howard
T. Chandler
K. Love
D. Cousins

Who on earth is beating that team? Shooters galore, scorers galore, facilitators, play makers, defenders, rebounders.

hawksdogsbraves
01-23-2014, 07:05 PM
12 man roster:

Captains:

LeBron
Durant
CP3

Aldridge
P. George
Harden
Curry
Iguodala

D. Howard
T. Chandler
K. Love
D. Cousins

There's no way Davis isn't on the team considering he was on the Olympic team and that was before he ever played a minute in the NBA. His game is also perfect for a team like this, he's the best big in the league (by a wide margin) in transition, can drain open jumpers, and is an excellent defender both around the basket and in guarding pick and rolls. I don't know that Cousins' skillset or attitude is needed on this team, (don't get me wrong, he's a great player).

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 07:12 PM
Greece doesn't stand a chance...

Why? LeBron has competed A LOT he has pride in his country: 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012. He's said he might play, I wouldn't doubt it if CP3 plays again. Steph Curry will kill in FIBA ball. As if Durant hasn't already showed he can dominate by himself like he did in 2010.

12 man roster:

Captains:

LeBron
Durant
CP3

The Rest:

Aldridge
P. George
Harden
Curry
Iguodala

D. Howard
T. Chandler
K. Love
D. Cousins

Who on earth is beating that team? Shooters galore, scorers galore, facilitators, play makers, defenders, rebounders.

You are out of your damn mind if you think Chris Paul and LeBron are playing this summer.

SamuraiSWISH
01-23-2014, 07:12 PM
There's no way Davis isn't on the team considering he was on the Olympic team and that was before he ever played a minute in the NBA. His game is also perfect for a team like this, he's the best big in the league (by a wide margin) in transition, can drain open jumpers, and is an excellent defender both around the basket and in guarding pick and rolls. I don't know that Cousins' skillset or attitude is needed on this team, (don't get me wrong, he's a great player).
Good point, I'd swap those two out, Davis for Boogie. I momentarily forgot about his horrendous attitude, and lack of a brain.

How do you feel about the rest? Looks quite dominant to me. LeBron / Durant / Curry / P. George / Harden / Iguodala / CP3 is just too stacked. Defense, offense, playmaking, sharp shooting, drawing fouls. What could anyone do?

hawksdogsbraves
01-23-2014, 07:15 PM
Good point, I'd swap those two out, Davis for Boogie. I momentarily forgot about his horrendous attitude, and lack of a brain.

How do you feel about the rest? Looks quite dominant to me. LeBron / Durant / Curry / P. George / Harden / Iguodala / CP3 is just too stacked. Defense, offense, playmaking, sharp shooting, drawing fouls. What could anyone do?

Looks very dominant, I don't know if CP3 will want to play but otherwise that's probably the team right there.

Actually Melo will be on the team if he wants to play, he was FIBA player of the year after all. It's really an embarrassment of riches for the USA, we could probably put together 3 or 4 teams that would win.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Looks very dominant, I don't know if CP3 will want to play but otherwise that's probably the team right there.

Actually Melo will be on the team if he wants to play, he was FIBA player of the year after all. It's really an embarrassment of riches for the USA, we could probably put together 3 or 4 teams that would win.

You guys are completely delusional if you think LeBron, Anthony, Paul are playing.

SamuraiSWISH
01-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Even if Chris Paul, or LeBron sits out it's a dominant team.

Too much athleticism, and scoring. Durant alone is enough to carry, then add in an improved Steph Curry. Game is tailor made for FIBA ball. P. George, and Iguodala roaming on defense? Frightening.

Throw LMA, D12, Davis, and K Love in the paint? My god, no one really stand a chance. The only team who did was Spain or Argentina and they are ancient with no young talent.

Euroleague
01-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Even if Chris Paul, or even LeBron sits out it's dominant. Too much athleticism, and scoring. Durant alone is enough to carry, then add in an improved Steph Curry. Game is tailor made for FIBA ball. P. George, and Iguodala roaming on defense? Frightening.

Steph Curry is midget size for FIBA. He can't guard even most average FIBA guards. The good, not great, just good FIBA guards will absolutely destroy him on pick and roll.

The really great ones will do so on pick and roll and screen and roll.

He will be an absolute disaster on defense the entire time he is on the floor against any of the good international teams that have a good offensive point guard.

That's not being "tailor made for FIBA ball". Unless you are talking about the other team's offense.

HomieWeMajor
01-23-2014, 07:22 PM
Euroleague how come FIBA are considering giving the USA team a -30 point handicap every time they play in the tournament ?

coolhandsteve
01-23-2014, 07:41 PM
No John Wall or Michael Carter-Williams on the initial list? PGs who can score but also can make an impact in other ways

LeGOAT
01-23-2014, 07:42 PM
PLease stay on topic and keep this about Durant

Angel Face
01-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Nice, KD gonna gift Lebron another gold medal.

alexd
01-23-2014, 08:15 PM
No John Wall or Michael Carter-Williams on the initial list? PGs who can score but also can make an impact in other ways
cause neither can shoot well