PDA

View Full Version : Is KD better than prime TMac?

Shade8780
01-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I never got to see prime TMac but by looking at his stats, and from what I heard, he seemed like a great player. Is KD better?

Nikola_
01-24-2014, 03:55 PM
t mac had better passing, but less efficient

also silky smooth as fvck

J Shuttlesworth
01-24-2014, 04:17 PM
T-Mac had the best looking game of all time IMO. His shot just looked like butter. I still think I would take T-Mac over KD. T-Mac had some pretty explosive scoring nights as well. I'd say they rank pretty close to one another on the all time list

Olacinco
01-24-2014, 04:20 PM
T-mac>>>>KD

T-mac>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lebron

K Xerxes
01-24-2014, 04:21 PM
Worth noting that the 'peak' Tmac everyone talks about was like 22-23. He was better than Durant at the same age. Just unreal ability and potential.

Current Durant vs that Tmac is a tossup. It's really close, especially with Durant's improvement as a defender and facilitator. But I don't believe Durant has peaked yet, so this shouldn't really be a question in the future.

SamuraiSWISH
01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
2014 Durant is the first version that can begin to compete with 2002 - 2005 era T-Mac. His peak being, obviously, 2003. I still feel back injuries robbed McGrady of his longevity prime potential. Plus the roster he carried in Orlando is FAR worse than even the lowest of times Durant has dealt with sans Chuckbrook.

jzek
01-24-2014, 04:23 PM
No.

Besides, we haven't even seen prime KD yet. Once we do, we can revisit this comparison. But as of right now, prime TMac > not yet in his prime KD

MrC1991
01-24-2014, 04:28 PM
Barring major injury KD in his prime could be scary good. I can't wait to see what happens.

SamuraiSWISH
01-24-2014, 04:31 PM
Barring major injury KD in his prime could be scary good. I can't wait to see what happens.
Pretty sure KD is in his prime. Peak you mean? That's usually ages 27 - 29. KD has been in the league 7 seasons. Prime usually starts by a player's 4th season. Especially in Bron, Durant, Kobe's cases when they get a head start out of HS or short college terms.

Bandito
01-24-2014, 04:34 PM
I would take tmac over Durant. He was as good as Kobe for awhile but injuries to his back slow him down.

BoutPractice
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
His shot just looked like butter.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8i1Uyai8faE/ToqH8su2S3I/AAAAAAAAABQ/CtOH6Rq-l-0/s728/butter.jpg

...Frankly, I don't see the resemblance.

MrC1991
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Ahh I see thanks for the correction because I've always thought of peak/prime to be the same thing. Like you said someones peak starts at about 27-28 and goes until 32. That was their peak/prime, but shit I learned something new today.

SamuraiSWISH
01-24-2014, 04:38 PM
Ahh I see thanks for the correction because I've always thought of peak/prime to be the same thing. Like you said someones peak starts at about 27-28 and goes until 32. That was their peak/prime, but shit I learned something new today.
Wasn't trying to be smug. Just my view on it.

Like MJ entered his prime in 1988, definitely not the peak of his abilities. 1991

Kobe entered his prime in 2001, definitely not the peak of his abilities. 2006

Wade entered his prime in 2005, as a sophomore, definitely not the peak of his abilities. 2009

LeBron entered his prime in 2008, definitely not the peak of his abilities. 2012

T-Mac entered his prime in 2001, he could've peaked higher if not for constant injury. In that case his peak could be considered 2003. KD's probably been in his prime since 2012.

knicksman
01-24-2014, 04:44 PM
lets see tmac first producing wins while producing those stats before even compared to durant..Durant vs jordan is a better comparison

Alan Ogg
01-24-2014, 04:50 PM
Perhaps I should go back to the overrated players tread and add T-Mac. Durant is better. What are you T-Mac pickers basing your choice on?

knicksman
01-24-2014, 04:52 PM
Perhaps I should go back to the overrated players tread and add T-Mac. Durant is better. What are you T-Mac pickers basing your choice on?

their IQ

Alan Ogg
01-24-2014, 05:06 PM
Durant's last two seasons alone have been better than any T-Mac season. In addition, the highest T-Mac got in MVP voting was 4th twice and had a couple 1st all NBA team selections. Durant already has placed 2nd in MVP voting three times and 5th and on his way to an MVP along with 4 1st all NBA team selections and a 5th coming this year. Durant is only 25 years old. This is not close.

gts
01-24-2014, 05:09 PM
Perhaps I should go back to the overrated players tread and add T-Mac. Durant is better. What are you T-Mac pickers basing your choice on?They don't like Durant :lol

Cold soul
01-24-2014, 05:39 PM
It's a close call, but I give the slight edge to T-Mac.

Fire Colangelo
01-24-2014, 05:47 PM
Durant's last two seasons alone have been better than any T-Mac season. In addition, the highest T-Mac got in MVP voting was 4th twice and had a couple 1st all NBA team selections. Durant already has placed 2nd in MVP voting three times and 5th and on his way to an MVP along with 4 1st all NBA team selections and a 5th coming this year. Durant is only 25 years old. This is not close.

Do you think durant would be 2nd in MVP if his team was a shitty as Tmac's back in 03? McGrady's career was robbed of injuries but he was scary good in 03.

Ancient Legend
01-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Who would have a better chance at the Hall of Fame between T-Mac and Durant if KD's career ended now?

Ratnik
01-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Is your dick bigger than a black man's?
No.

SilkkTheShocker
01-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Tmac was a loser.

Durant is a crying ass bitch

Give me LeBron.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
01-24-2014, 06:12 PM
KDs prime is way better. Peak was a debate in 2012 KD vs 03 TMac but it hasnt been a debate this season and the last. KDs been far better.

oarabbus
01-24-2014, 06:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jTaT3pYFE

Such a sick move. Sh1tty vid though.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-24-2014, 06:34 PM
On his shooting alone, KD is more dangerous, ergo better.

Embers
01-24-2014, 06:37 PM
:biggums:

Is your next mind bender, Is Wilt Chamberlain better then Kendrick Perkins?

bizil
01-24-2014, 06:49 PM
For me, I gotta give the edge to T-Mac. Just as dominant a scorer, and could do everything just as good or better than Durant in terms of scoring EXCEPT for the three ball. And T-Mac was even a very good at times great three ball shooter. T-Mac was also a great all around player while Durant is a very good one. U could go either way, but I would roll with peak T-Mac at his point. Peak wise, the only SG's I would take over T-Mac are MJ and Kobe! I actually see shades of T-Mac big time in Durant. In terms of smooth scorers who have epic scoring skillsets, Gervin, T-Mac, and Durant take that shit!!

Bigsmoke
01-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Durant is better.

Tmac is more smooth... OK cool.

Durant is much more efficient, better rebounder, better to depend on in the postseason.

IGOTGAME
01-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Durant just isnt a good passer or playmaker. You will see when it matter, only thing is that you will blame it on everyone else. He just has zero feel for it. He is a scorer and rebounder on offense, passing just isnt his thing. He has gotten a little better but it doesnt come easy to him.

IncarceratedBob
01-24-2014, 06:51 PM
No way. Just look at how many playoff games T Mac won

bizil
01-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Durant just isnt a good passer or playmaker. You will see when it matter, only thing is that you will blame it on everyone else. He just has zero feel for it. He is a scorer and rebounder on offense, passing just isnt his thing. He has gotten a little better but it doesnt come easy to him.

I agree with u! Durant certainly has gotten better at passing. And I think he qualifies as a very good all around player. But T-Mac was flat out a great all around player. Capable of playing PG, SG, and SF at very high levels. Durant is more of a SF who can play PF and SG.

ABfor3
01-24-2014, 07:30 PM
No way. Just look at how many playoff games T Mac won
The oldest argument in the book.. It's such a shame TMac get out of the second round because he always put his team on his back, his playoff numbers speak for itself. The first thing people bring up about TMac is his playoffs resume, but last time I checked you can't win by yourself. He never had Yao healthy with him except maybe for a couple years, and when Yao was healthy TMac wasn't. It's unfortunate, that duo could of been legendary.
TMac would of been top 15 all time if not for injuries.

bizil
01-24-2014, 07:43 PM
The oldest argument in the book.. It's such a shame TMac get out of the second round because he always put his team on his back, his playoff numbers speak for itself. The first thing people bring up about TMac is his playoffs resume, but last time I checked you can't win by yourself. He never had Yao healthy with him except maybe for a couple years, and when Yao was healthy TMac wasn't. It's unfortunate, that duo could of been legendary.
TMac would of been top 15 all time if not for injuries.

I agree! T-Mac indeed had top 15 GOAT kind of talent. Before him, u never really saw an SG at 6'8 or 6'9 with his package of skills. It was damn near like combining Gervin and Penny Hardaway elements into one. He just had bad luck with injuries with himself and potential HOF teammates in Yao and Grant Hill. If Yao or Hill could have stayed healthy, that would have resulted in at least one ring for Mac.

Audio One
01-24-2014, 07:49 PM

:applause:

Jameerthefear
01-24-2014, 07:52 PM
Durant. If you say T-Mac then lol...

Audio One
01-24-2014, 07:53 PM
What makes this debate somewhat legitimate, is that Tracy did his damage during the dead ball era right before the rules changes opened up for perimeter players, he does deserve credit for that

Y2ktors
01-24-2014, 08:00 PM
I never got to see prime TMac but by looking at his stats, and from what I heard, he seemed like a great player. Is KD better?

Definitely.

mr.big35
01-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Its easily KD he accomplished in 8 what tmac will never accomplish

Bob Dole
01-24-2014, 08:46 PM
Lol at you dummies. This is easily Durant. I'll take this or last year Durante over any version of tmac or Kobe.

He's better at the most important thing at basketball than them, scoring high volume at an effiecent rate. He also does it within the offense, something those two suckers could never do.

Their slight(and I do mean slight) advantage in playmaking ability doesn't make up for his better scoring, rebounding, and just as good defense.

The only post-Jordan perimeter player who's better than this version of Durant is lebron(wade is a smidget behind Durant)

Now go eat your wheaties.

gyu
01-24-2014, 09:40 PM
Let's not forget that when Kobe was asked who gave him the most trouble, he mentioned LeBron, Melo, Iverson, Durant but ultimately he chose... Tracy Lamar McGrady.

knicksman
01-24-2014, 09:44 PM
Let's not forget that when Kobe was asked who gave him the most trouble, he mentioned LeBron, Melo, Iverson, Durant but ultimately he chose... Tracy Lamar McGrady.

and that was the past. while kobe admitted he couldnt beat durant

gyu
01-24-2014, 09:49 PM
and that was the past. while kobe admitted he couldnt beat durant
That was 5 months ago.

houston
01-24-2014, 11:21 PM

:applause: agree

WWRWestbrookDo?
01-25-2014, 12:23 AM

KD > T-MAc anyday. Can't believe people are picking McGrady

houston
01-25-2014, 02:23 AM
I agree! T-Mac indeed had top 15 GOAT kind of talent. Before him, u never really saw an SG at 6'8 or 6'9 with his package of skills. It was damn near like combining Gervin and Penny Hardaway elements into one. He just had bad luck with injuries with himself and potential HOF teammates in Yao and Grant Hill. If Yao or Hill could have stayed healthy, that would have resulted in at least one ring for Mac.

:roll: at Mac being a key factor on a championship team. He never had that drive like that.

[B]

ronnymac
01-25-2014, 07:22 AM
Tmac was one of the best passing SG's I ever saw. The guys offensive repatoire wasn't jut his immense scoring. He also had the ability to make even scrubs look well.He was one one of the best well rounded offensive players for the period before his body crumbled.Another thing people forget that McGrdy was a hell of a defender when he tried. The uy came into the league as a defensive stopper and people had him pegged as the next Pippen.

KD s a more efficient scorer, but Tmac's offensive game and ability to actually run an offense in his prime was insane.

GoranDragon
01-25-2014, 07:28 AM
No.

13 in 30 is something KD will NEVER EVER EVER be able to do.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-21-2015, 12:54 PM
I know this is kind of a late bump. T Mac was one of those players from like 2003-2005 oozing with potential. He was in his mid 20s and had a very smooth game. He probably was the hardest player to guard 1 on 1. He was more athletic than Kobe, 6'9'' and had a huge offensive arsenal. Not as big as Kobe's offensive arsenal in his prime but close. Defensively, I do agree when he tried, he could lock down.

I remember in 2005, he was on one of the best defensive teams in the league on Houston and he averaged something like 1.7 steals and 0.7 blocks. The only thing about T Mac that I remember often made me cringe was his low shooting percentages. Yeah he could average like 27/5/5 but on like 42% fg. I do think T Mac could have been way better if health wasn't an issue and if he really committed himself to the game. I remember hearing that his work ethic was not good for someone as talented as he was.

Prime KD is better than prime T Mac. Aesthetically, T-Mac is one of my favorite players of all time. In terms of overall potential of their game, I thought T Mac had more.

KD is a MVP candidate, I don't think T Mac at any point in his career was a consistent top 3 player in the league. He was a consistent top 10 player in the league but I don't think many people thought he had a legitimate chance of ever winning MVP like people have for KD.

Kobe_6/8
10-21-2015, 01:00 PM
I think so. Durant has already won a MVP and made a finals, and he hasn't even peaked yet.

I like T-Mac, but I would build a team around Durant first.

NBAplayoffs2001
10-21-2015, 01:01 PM
I think so. Durant has already won a MVP and made a finals, and he hasn't even peaked yet.

I like T-Mac, but I would build a team around Durant first.

I think stats wise, I don't see Durant ever beating 32/7/5 or whatever his MVP season was. I think he's hit his peak statistically but I do think he wins ONE ring at some point.

SOD 21
10-21-2015, 01:22 PM
Tracy McGrady has become overrated by too many fans, especially on this message board. He was a great player, no doubt, but he is not quite in the same category as Kevin Durant.

Just compare the five best seasons from Tracy McGrady, probably 01-05, and then compare those seasons to Kevin Durant's previous five years, before last season's injury played season, from 2010 to 2014. KD shot significantly higher from the field and from the three-point line, is by far the more efficiencient scorer, is a better rebounder and has lead his team to far more playoff success than Tracy McGrady ever did in his career.

The only advantage that TMAC has is that he was a slightly better ballhandler and distributor, that's it. But that alone does not make him a better player than Kevin Durant.

Straight_Ballin
10-21-2015, 01:25 PM
No.

Besides, we haven't even seen prime KD yet. Once we do, we can revisit this comparison. But as of right now, prime TMac > not yet in his prime KD

This.

Tmac was f0nky