PDA

View Full Version : Most overrated stat ever?

Mr. Jabbar
01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
From the usual stats, not advanced, I say Defensive rebounds.

Raymone
01-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Points.

branslowski
01-27-2014, 03:58 PM
Fg%

branslowski
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Points.

:facepalm Points are obviously the most important aspect of the game.

Black and White
01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
Fg% because this includes cherry-picking and fg% protection mentality (see LeBron James)

Milbuck
01-27-2014, 04:00 PM
All of them

Genaro
01-27-2014, 04:01 PM
FG%

Nikola_
01-27-2014, 04:02 PM
assists easily ..everything is an assist now

Droid101
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Points.
I didn't know the NBA had changed formats.

Whoever has the highest TS% wins the game!

Smook A.
01-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Assists. You pass the ball to someone and if they make It you get an assist. If you get alot of assists, It just means you pass it alot

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Volume inefficient scoring

bdreason
01-27-2014, 04:11 PM
It's definitely defensive rebounds. I prefer to evaluate rebounding efforts based on offensive rebounds and offensive rebounds surrendered.

Cold soul
01-27-2014, 04:11 PM
FG%

branslowski
01-27-2014, 04:12 PM

This.:oldlol:

You can outrebound a team and loss, you can out assist a team and lose, you can shoot a better fg% and lose....but If you OUTSCORE a team, YOU CAN NOT LOSE.

GOATbe
01-27-2014, 04:13 PM
FG%, assists

LeBron 06
01-27-2014, 04:16 PM
FG% is very important for me..The heat are 31-2 when they have a FG% better than the other team....They are 1-10 when they have a FG% worse than the opponent!

red1
01-27-2014, 04:17 PM
To no one's surprise kobe stans are in unanimous agreement that fg% is overrated. Of course the one stat the best exposes chucking is going to be overrated :roll:

secund2nun
01-27-2014, 04:17 PM

KyrieTheFuture
01-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Assists hands down. It's the only stat that is predicated on your teammate doing something correct.

scm5
01-27-2014, 04:18 PM
FG% is very important for me..The heat are 32-1 when they have a FG% better than the other team....They are 1-11 when they have a FG% worse than the opponent!

This is because the Heat aren't a good rebounding team.

secund2nun
01-27-2014, 04:20 PM

You can outrebound a team and loss, you can out assist a team and lose, you can shoot a better fg% and lose....but If you OUTSCORE a team, YOU CAN NOT LOSE.

Signed

http://lakernation.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/uspw_5145912_crop_exact.jpg

secund2nun
01-27-2014, 04:22 PM
PPG is easily the most overrated stat. It is so overrated that people will ignore efficiency and blindly go crazy over ppg no matter how many shots it takes to get those points.

bballnoob1192
01-27-2014, 04:26 PM
assists are the most overated

fpliii
01-27-2014, 04:31 PM
I'd go with assists and steals.

navy
01-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Steals.

PsychoBe
01-27-2014, 04:41 PM
PPG is easily the most overrated stat. It is so overrated that people will ignore efficiency and blindly go crazy over ppg no matter how many shots it takes to get those points.

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vr/image/1369/72/1369723396492.png

secund2nun
01-27-2014, 04:43 PM
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vr/image/1369/72/1369723396492.png

It's time to stop drooling over mediocre 30 point 25 shot games

PsychoBe
01-27-2014, 04:45 PM
It's time to stop drooling over mediocre 30 point 25 shot games

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg

Mr. Jabbar
01-27-2014, 04:46 PM
No love for d rebounds guys??? You can basically get most of them by existing

Milbuck
01-27-2014, 04:46 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg
b-b-b-but scoring's overrated! He passes!

SilkkTheShocker
01-27-2014, 04:49 PM
LeBron>>>Kobe

leMVP
putting 41 pts on 41 shots.

You took maybe half of your team's shot attempts and only converted it into 41 pts.

High volume scoring on low fg% is the most overrated ever.

fpliii
No love for d rebounds guys??? You can basically get most of them by existing
Well, I think guys who crash the offensive boards are generally better rebounders than defensive guys, but offensive rebounding is kinda overrated on a team level:

http://bbmetrics.wordpress.com/crashing-the-offensive-board/

You're better off just getting back on defense it seems.

Black and White
LeBron>>>Kobe

Rest of the world >>>> Silkk

PsychoBe
01-27-2014, 04:50 PM
putting 41 pts on 41 shots.

You took maybe half of your team's shot attempts and only converted it into 41 pts.

High volume scoring on low fg% is the most overrated ever.

AnaheimLakers24
01-27-2014, 04:53 PM
assist
certain players just throw bail out passes in the last second an act like they are gteat team players

Dave3
01-27-2014, 04:53 PM

The distinction here is you're not talking about ppg, you're talking about ppg difference, which is a different stat, depending on your defense, and how efficiently you use your possessions.

In terms of just pure ppg vs. FG%, in the last 10 years, the NBA champion has ranked higher in FG% than in PPG (compared to the rest of the league) 8 out of the last 10 times.

Now I'm not leaning either way, but thought this was an interesting point to bring up in a thread so intent on diminishing how much efficient use of possessions matters (be it FG%, TOs, FT%, all of them, not just the one that everyone seems to be fixated on).

Joyner82reload
01-27-2014, 04:57 PM
FG% is worthless. TS% is where it's at. If turnovers and offensive rebounds are equal, the team with the higher TS% will win like 99.9% of the time

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
defensive rebounds by far and its not even close

christian1923
01-27-2014, 04:59 PM
Fg% forsure

BGriffin's Dad
01-27-2014, 05:01 PM
lol @ lebron stans choosing points

SexSymbol
01-27-2014, 05:01 PM
FG% is worthless. TS% is where it's at. If turnovers and offensive rebounds are equal, the team with the higher TS% will win like 99.9% of the time
So you're saying that the team who made more shots with rebounds and turnovers being equal will win the game?

http://25.media.tumblr.com/db649f4441940d7fcbbc2bd5d6646bc1/tumblr_mjqawy8GO51rmsmhho1_250.gif

Dave3
01-27-2014, 05:02 PM
FG% isn't worthless. It is only if you're Joyner and need to talk about Durant 24/7.

I do think team TS% (again, TS%, not TS% difference because if we're going to talk about difference, obviously basketball is a game of who scores more, so it's points) is also a better indicator for a winning team than just ppg, but I used the FG% because I couldn't find team TS% on Bballreference. If you can and have the numbers, feel free to share because I'd be curious to check that out.

NVM. Used ESPN.com, same deal so far (still in the middle of checking, but the same 2 years are the exception, with every other year, the team that won ranked higher in the league in TS% than just ppg).

Legends66NBA7
01-27-2014, 05:04 PM

Each of the basic stats can be overrated in some way, outside of ft% and turnovers (it's either you or your teammate on the turnover).

PPG and APG are usually required on the play calling and system your coaching staff runs for the team, along with the talent. For example, Jason Terry is a combo guard and you wouldn't think of him as a much of passer. But on a bad team, where there isn't much a true PG, Terry peaked his APG over 7+. Same can be true for PPG increases, if your a designated first option on a bad team.

FG% depends on how much shots you take. You will notice that the majority of high %fg users don't have high volume of shots and very rarely are very skilled/creative scorers. High FG% users will most likely also see a drop come playoff time, due to better defenses and slowed down pace and again, very rarely will this happen to the ones who happen to very good scorers in the paint (think off Shaq).

Both offensive and defensive rebounding can be very misleading and it seems to be the most overrated at times, IMO. I think this is the one stat that requires really good visual context. How are these rebounds being obtained ? How do they box out ? How many rebounds can a player get with superior and non-superior positioning ?

Steals and blocks are misleading since these are the 2 stats that usually require more often that not gambling (for steals) or a player allowed his opponent to much positioning (for blocks). It's more blocks, since the player needs to retain possession as well. Too many times I see a defensive player smack it out of bounds and that allows a team to reset a play and allow to them get another chance to score.

3pt%, while I don't it's overrated, it does require context in knowing where the player is getting the volume of their 3 point shots from. Is the player a good 3 point corner shooter or is a better 3 point shooter from the top of the key/angles ? Also, like PPG, high and low volume can be very telling.

SexSymbol
01-27-2014, 05:07 PM
Each of the basic stats can be overrated in some way, outside of ft% and turnovers (it's either you or your teammate on the turnover).

PPG and APG are usually required on the play calling and system your coaching staff runs for the team, along with the talent. For example, Jason Terry is a combo guard and you wouldn't think of him as a much of passer. But on a bad team, where there isn't much a true PG, Terry peaked his APG over 7+. Same can be true for PPG increases, if your a designated first option on a bad team.

FG% depends on how much shots you take. You will notice that the majority of high %fg users don't have high volume of shots and very rarely are very skilled/creative scorers. High FG% users will most likely also see a drop come playoff time, due to better defenses and slowed down pace and again, very rarely will this happen to the ones who happen to very good scorers in the paint (think off Shaq).

Both offensive and defensive rebounding can be very misleading and it seems to be the most overrated at times, IMO. I think this is the one stat that requires really good visual context. How are these rebounds being obtained ? How do they box out ? How many rebounds can a player get with superior and non-superior positioning ?

Steals and blocks are misleading since these are the 2 stats that usually require more often that not gambling (for steals) or a player allowed his opponent to much positioning (for blocks). It's more blocks, since the player needs to retain possession as well. Too many times I see a defensive player smack it out of bounds and that allows a team to reset a play and allow to them get another chance to score.

3pt%, while I don't it's overrated, it does require context in knowing where the player is getting the volume of their 3 point shots from. Is the player a good 3 point corner shooter or is a better 3 point shooter from the top of the key/angles ? Also, like PPG, high and low volume can be very telling.
How the **** do you find the time to write these long useless posts, that nobody will read is beyond me

Dave3
01-27-2014, 05:09 PM
How the **** do you find the time to write these long useless posts, that nobody will read is beyond me
Yeah Legends, why are you actually putting any thought into what you say? Who cares about actual knowledge or basketball? We don't have time for that shit, just say LeBron is a beta or Kobe is a chucker so we can discuss important stuff like that!!

Sakkreth
01-27-2014, 05:10 PM

Can you please go to realgm or something ?

Pointguard
01-27-2014, 05:13 PM
It's definitely defensive rebounds. I prefer to evaluate rebounding efforts based on offensive rebounds and offensive rebounds surrendered.

:lol that's just another way of saying defensive rebounds. Or are you just hoping every ball bounces out of bounds on a miss?

Defensive rebounds end a possession near the basket - offensive rebounds are near the basket and catch the defense off guard. If you ever coach a team you know that defensive rebs are absolutely critical.

SexSymbol
01-27-2014, 05:14 PM
Can you please go to realgm or something ?
Kaip lietuvis lietuviui taip...

I was kidding, I'm sorry for a bad joke.

Dave3
01-27-2014, 05:16 PM

You seem to be making the point that all stats are almost equally deceptive/overrated if you don't know what you're looking at, which is for the most part true.

I do however think offensive rebounds is one of the stats that's hard to "fake" because those rebounds are ones you shouldn't have, so you're fighting the other team for them. They're not just falling into your lap because you're tall, or you can't take them from a teammate. You have to get into position and fight for those, so I do like offensive rebounding as a stat.

I agree with you on steals too (tendency to gamble etc.). I remember maybe in 2003 or 2004 when Iverson was by far leading the league in spg, but Eric Snow was the guy Larry Brown considered the best defender on the team, and Snow made the all Defensive team (don't remember if it was 1st or 2nd) while Iverson didn't.

On blocks however, I do think it's harder to have high blocks and be a bad defender. More often than not in order to get blocks, you have to be changing a lot of shots, in order to actually get your hand on a couple. Unless you're consistently leaving your man open to do it, your blocks are usually indicative of your defensive presence.

Legends66NBA7
01-27-2014, 05:19 PM
Thinking about it more, I always wanted to know if a couple of these stats can be on the official stat sheet:

1) Charing foul
2) Blocking foul
3) Deflected passes

I know the charge/block does get kept tracked off, but I don't usually find many sites for them and their usually not with the basic or advanced section of box scores.

Deflected passes is something I've always wanted to see made as a stat. A way to further advance it is to see how many deflected passes become turnovers. Perhaps someone can a "Deflected pass assist" when a player deflects a pass and one of his teammates retain possession ?

knicksman
01-27-2014, 05:21 PM
triple doubles

NumberSix
01-27-2014, 05:26 PM
Rest of the world >>>> New Zealand
Fixed doe

Black and White
01-27-2014, 05:27 PM
Fixed doe

Lol thats funny, most people like New Zealand so i don't see your point there

Legends66NBA7
01-27-2014, 05:28 PM
I do however think offensive rebounds is one of the stats that's hard to "fake" because those rebounds are ones you shouldn't have, so you're fighting the other team for them. They're not just falling into your lap because you're tall, or you can't take them from a teammate. You have to get into position and fight for those, so I do like offensive rebounding as a stat.

True, I do believe offensive rebounding is something that requires some more effort, however there is a drawback to it as well, like steals. I think applies more often to your back court, if they are near the key and go for a rebound but don't acquire it, they've now forced your teammates in a tough position defensively. If a wing player is closer to the basket, this can be excusable since they are simply trying to get the ball back and either go back to get a shot or reset a play.

On blocks however, I do think it's harder to have high blocks and be a bad defender. More often than not in order to get blocks, you have to be changing a lot of shots, in order to actually get your hand on a couple. Unless you're consistently leaving your man open to do it, your blocks are usually indicative of your defensive presence.

While I don't think it's the case most of the time either, the more often you go for blocks, you are also open to fouling your opponent as well. A smart offensive player or team will attack the basket a lot more to get that player out of the game with their foul count. Doesn't make them bad defenders, but I think playing good man to man defense without trying to for blocks and getting better defensive positioning is more reliable on defense, IMO.

red1
01-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Yeah Legends, why are you actually putting any thought into what you say? Who cares about actual knowledge or basketball? We don't have time for that shit, just say LeBron is a beta or Kobe is a chucker so we can discuss important stuff like that!!
:oldlol:

Dave3
01-27-2014, 05:31 PM
True, I do believe offensive rebounding is something that requires some more effort, however there is a drawback to it as well, like steals. I think applies more often to your back court, if they are near the key and go for a rebound but don't acquire it, they've now forced your teammates in a tough position defensively. If a wing player is closer to the basket, this can be excusable since they are simply trying to get the ball back and either go back to get a shot or reset a play.

While I don't think it's the case most of the time either, the more often you go for blocks, you are also open to fouling your opponent as well. A smart offensive player or team will attack the basket a lot more to get that player out of the game with their foul count. Doesn't make them bad defenders, but I think playing good man to man defense without trying to for blocks and getting better defensive positioning is more reliable on defense, IMO.
Blocks are rarely on your own man though. A lot of the big blockers in the league are getting the majority of their blocks on help defense, so it's hard to judge blocks vs. man defense, because a lot of time they don't go together.

NumberSix
01-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Lol thats funny, most people aren't aware of New Zealand so i don't see your point there
Fixed again doe.

Black and White
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Fixed again doe.

The Hobbit?

Lord of the Rings?

Lorde?

Steven Adams?

All Blacks?

Come on man

Marlo_Stanfield
01-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Fg%
who would have guessed:lol :lol :facepalm

Legends66NBA7
01-27-2014, 05:35 PM
Blocks are rarely on your own man though. A lot of the big blockers in the league are getting the majority of their blocks on help defense, so it's hard to judge blocks vs. man defense, because a lot of time they don't go together.

True, I'm probably thinking of certain individual cases. I've seen Serge Ibaka's overall defense been touted as overrated, even though he's one of the league leaders in blocks yearly.

Mr. Jabbar
Legends pretty much describes why Howard's d is overrated :applause:

NumberSix
The Hobbit?

Lord of the Rings?

Lorde?

All Blacks?

Come on man
:wtf:

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
Assists. Players pass to a player who dribbles crosses over someone and hits a fallaway and it a assist in some stat recorders:facepalm :facepalm

Black and White
01-27-2014, 05:36 PM
:wtf:

Rugby team, world champions

http://blog.speedysigns.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/All-Blacks-Rugby-Champions-of-the-World-2011.jpg

NumberSix
01-27-2014, 05:38 PM
Rugby team, world champions
Lol. I thought meant black people... ALL of them.

Dave3
who would have guessed:lol :lol :facepalm
They're all incredibly predictable. You don't have to read any of their posts to know what they're going to say.

Every Kobe fan/LeBron hater - FG% and APG.

Every LeBron fan/Kobe hater - "volume stats"

It's the same shit every day. The only thing rarer than actual basketball discussion that isn't hating these days is a LeBron 50 point game (and everyone here knows I'm a LeBron fan lol)

Mr. Jabbar
The Hobbit?

Lord of the Rings?

Lorde?

Steven Adams?

All Blacks?

Come on man

You seen some of Peter Jackson early stuff like bad taste?? Pretty fun

Black and White
01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Lol. I thought meant black people... ALL of them.

Lol well I can understand where you got that from but no

NumberSix
01-27-2014, 05:39 PM
Post count.

Black and White
01-27-2014, 05:40 PM
You seen some of Peter Jackson early stuff like bad taste?? Pretty fun

Haven't watched the whole movie, just parts but he is a very talented director.

russwest0
01-27-2014, 05:44 PM
Assists.

Tony Parker has been the best PG in the league this season yet because he isn't averaging high assist numbers casual fans don't get it.

Boarder Patrol
01-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Steals. A ton of terrible defenders rack them up by playing the passing lanes.

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Assists.

Tony Parker has been the best PG in the league this season yet because he isn't averaging high assist numbers casual fans don't get it.

this is a good point, Tony sets up a lot of plays that would never get recorded as an assist, but has 10x the amount of impact as an "assist" from swinging the ball to a spot up shooter

ArbitraryWater
01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
:facepalm Points are obviously the most important aspect of the game.

Oh, and FG% isn't directly anchored with it, right??

LMFAO pathetic way to make up for Kobe's inefficient scoring and undermind LeBron's otherwordly accuracy.... wait, it's just cherrypicking shots... fcuk fg%

KineticZhiv
01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
Steals. A ton of terrible defenders rack them up by playing the passing lanes.

Steals are the best stat. A steal denies the rival chance to score and gives your team an easy basket most of the time.

ArbitraryWater
01-27-2014, 06:00 PM
To no one's surprise kobe stans are in unanimous agreement that fg% is overrated. Of course the one stat the best exposes chucking is going to be overrated :roll:

:lol Love it.

They're all on the same trip. "fg% and assists are overrated"

fg%=picking shots, beta mentality
assists=passing a lot, great teammates

:hammerhead: :roll:

Lord Leoshes
I would have 2 go with steals, cause all your doing is getting out of defensive position, so the rest of the team has 2 help out, & always leave some1 open.

Offensive, & defensive FG% important, just like reb.

ArbitraryWater
Steals are the best stat. A steal denies the rival chance to score and gives your team an easy basket most of the time.

Steals are a defensive statistic, yet cannot even remotely measure one's defense... so no, steals aren't the best stat, lol, not close.

JebronLames
01-27-2014, 06:04 PM
:lol Love it.

They're all on the same trip. "fg% and assists are overrated"

fg%=picking shots, beta mentality
assists=passing a lot, great teammates

:hammerhead: :roll:
They should start counting hockey assists and assists for when someone gets fouled, and makes free throws. Kobe stans would get crushed even more.

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2014, 06:12 PM
They should start counting hockey assists and assists for when someone gets fouled, and makes free throws. Kobe stans would get crushed even more.

Is that so?

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingPassing.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=AST_SEC&sortOrder=DES

Pointguard
01-27-2014, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SexSymbol

We're off to see the Wizard the wonderful Wizard of Oz.
"oh look its a scare crow and he has a name tag"
"one efffing thought at time you thinking nerd"
"look his name is Sex Symbol"
"Cauze I think wid my other head you brain using mofoes"
"Well maybe you can see the wizard about your hater issues too"
"My thoughts wouldn't be so tragic if I used my brain like Magic
But I'm insane in the membrane. Insane in the membrane"

With that said minutes played is the stat I hardly care about.

Mr. Jabbar
01-27-2014, 06:13 PM
all bran stans see is kobe fans being"ethered" in their fantasy world, dudes can't talk basketball at all, the sport their man-crush happens to play :facepalm

SexSymbol
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM
Oh, and FG% isn't directly anchored with it, right??

LMFAO pathetic way to make up for Kobe's inefficient scoring and undermind LeBron's otherwordly accuracy.... wait, it's just cherrypicking shots... fcuk fg%
It isn't. FG% is outdated, it was implemented back in times where there was no 3pt line, a shot with more value obviously changes the dynamics of what efficiency really is. You can't overlook that.

oarabbus
01-27-2014, 06:16 PM

Nah, a lot of times player A will poke the ball out or deflect the ball to player B, and player B gets credited with the steal. It's bull****. The guy who disrupts the offensive possession of the ball should be credited for the steal.

Dave3
01-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Is that so?

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingPassing.html?pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25&sortField=AST_SEC&sortOrder=DES

You know that's this year right? Where the sample for Kobe is 6 games...:wtf:

I'm sure you'd never use any of Kobe's other stats for this year to judge anything right? Why cherry pick this one?

JebronLames
01-27-2014, 06:22 PM
Is that so?

Lol 6 games in mike dantonis system where he averaged 14 ppg. Lebron is the only non pg on that list. Wish they kept track of that earlier.

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2014, 06:23 PM
You know that's this year right? Where the sample for Kobe is 6 games...:wtf:

I'm sure you'd never use any of Kobe's other stats for this year to judge anything right? Why cherry pick this one?

They only gave stats for this year, that and watching Kobe average 6 assist per game last year and his improved "hockey assist" passing over the years which has been something that his coaches, specifically Brian Shaw had gotten on him since the first 3peat, had recently (within the last 5 years) discussed his joy of seeing Kobe's "hockey assist" passing improve

oh and most importantly..

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”

Dave3
01-27-2014, 06:58 PM
They only gave stats for this year

Doesn't make it anymore legitimate to use. If it's useless, it's useless.

[QUOTE]
oh and most importantly..

[B]

StrongLurk
01-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Defensive Rebounding, depending on position.

MavsSuperFan
01-27-2014, 07:37 PM
assists and steals for me.

I am surprised at how many people look down upon defensive rebounding.

I get that sometimes big guys get them just by existing, but I still think its important to prevent second chance opportunities.

Prometheus
01-27-2014, 07:45 PM
spg. literally no one cares

Prometheus
01-27-2014, 07:50 PM
actually i'll add to that. it's not just that nobody cares, usually the players with high spg numbers are actually some of the worst defenders (with mj an obvious exception). Iverson used to lead the league in steals and was widely recognized as a terrible defender

Combat Wombat
01-27-2014, 07:56 PM
Lol thats funny, most people like New Zealand so i don't see your point there

:cheers:

I doubt the retard even knows any country outside the USA considering he has the intellectual capacity of a retarded goldfish.

KyrieTheFuture
01-27-2014, 08:00 PM
actually i'll add to that. it's not just that nobody cares, usually the players with high spg numbers are actually some of the worst defenders (with mj an obvious exception). Iverson used to lead the league in steals and was widely recognized as a terrible defender
AI was not a terrible defender, he did better than anyone could for someone that short.

Black and White
01-27-2014, 08:04 PM
:cheers:

I doubt the retard even knows any country outside the USA considering he has the intellectual capacity of a retarded goldfish.

Once you try bring countries into it as a method of arguement it's an instant loss, he's just a tool. :cheers:

Y2ktors
01-27-2014, 08:19 PM
They're all overrated once put into a certain context.

ArbitraryWater
01-27-2014, 08:36 PM
It isn't. FG% is outdated, it was implemented back in times where there was no 3pt line, a shot with more value obviously changes the dynamics of what efficiency really is. You can't overlook that.

FG% is the most simplistic there is. Use eFG% if you want to adjust. its mathematics, jeez.

MastaKilla
12-12-2014, 07:54 PM

bumping this thread to expand on this instead of making a new thread. But defensive rebounds are extremely overrated, to accurately gauge a players impact on the boards look no further than offensive rebounds.

G0ATbe
12-12-2014, 07:56 PM
Pretty much any stat that involves %. It doesn't matter.

Hey Yo
12-12-2014, 08:13 PM
Assists. You pass the ball to someone and if they make It you get an assist. If you get alot of assists, It just means you pass it alot
but.... but....that's why Magic is in the consensus top 5 all-time.

SouBeachTalents
12-12-2014, 08:15 PM

So scoring 30 points on 50% instead of 40% doesn't matter?

G0ATbe
12-12-2014, 08:17 PM
So scoring 30 points on 50% instead of 40% doesn't matter?
Exactly.

pastis
12-12-2014, 08:19 PM
explain

MastaKilla
12-12-2014, 09:16 PM
explain

Offensive rebounds are more important and always contested. Half the time when a shot goes up the offense begins going back, defensive rebounds half the time just fall to the person closest to the basket.

Offensive rebounds are more impactful & more important.

imdaman99
12-12-2014, 09:36 PM
Defensive rebounds matter because I am tired of Knicks players giving up offensive rebound after offensive rebound to the opposition. I'm talking about you Amare, violator #1 on this :mad:

pauk
12-12-2014, 09:44 PM
1. RPG, specifically Defensive rebounding, for a player that is.... they are not meaningless but its the least impressive/impactful stat for an individual player compared to points, assists, steals, blocks .... its mostly simply catching a missed ball with mostly only teammates around you.... often those rebounds are "given" by teammates aswell instead of trying to battle it with you (given way to a PF or C, who most often has to just be there/hold his hands up).
Offensive rebounding however is a whole other story, those are extra possessions/possession savers, its pure hustling, often done by one individual amongst many trees around, heavily contested, very impactful stuff for the outcome of the game......... but any/most "elite" rebounders get most of their rebounds from the defensive side in the most easiest way....... and 10 rpg is not as significant as say 10 apg.... 10 apg is more equivalent of maybe double that....

2. PPG / Points.... for a player that is... mostly because Fans dont understand to use context or maybe deep down inside know how but overrate it anyway in honor of their favorite players or something.... Most fans see points from a player simply as numbers of epicness, the more the better.... like "40 pts is 40 pts!".... No my friends, 40 points shooting 60% FG is far more impressive & impactful for the outcome of the game than 40 points by way of 40% FG... infact, if the same guy shot 40% that game instead he could have losed the game due to the more missed shots because a missed shot is a wasted off. possession for you and a given off. possession for your opponent..... almost like a turnover really....... so if it comes in big bunches, its really bad for your team, no matter how many points you got at the end....

ILLsmak
12-12-2014, 10:18 PM
I remember posting that defensive rebounds weren't impressive and dudes got mad at me. lol.

Sure some are important. Late in games, for instance... but when it's just a drop into your hand. Offensive rebounds are definitely more important, but in terms of positioning it's hard to really tell how effective someone is at rebounding. I think advanced stats would be good in that case. Like showing how well someone rebounds their area. Also contested rebounds.

-Smak

fpliii
12-12-2014, 10:21 PM
https://bbmetrics.wordpress.com/crashing-the-offensive-board/
http://www.basketballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=954

Offensive rebounding has to be up there.

The Red Viper
12-12-2014, 10:24 PM
How is FG% overrated?

It shows how effective you are.

If you average 30 points a game with around 30 FG%, its not good enough.

As for the topic, I would say defensive rebounds.

Keno
12-12-2014, 10:36 PM
rings. (context is key, ie: carried to them like horry, kobe, wade or main reason you got them, ie: lebron, jordan, hakeem).

turret
12-12-2014, 11:13 PM
home/away splits

funnystuff
12-12-2014, 11:47 PM

:coleman:

La Frescobaldi
12-13-2014, 12:18 AM
Yeah

except W/L %

La Frescobaldi
12-13-2014, 12:20 AM
Defensive rebounds matter because I am tired of Knicks players giving up offensive rebound after offensive rebound to the opposition. I'm talking about you Amare, violator #1 on this :mad:
lol

"Nobody ever taught me how to box out."
~ A. Stoudamire