View Full Version : NBA Early 2000s

waseem780
01-27-2014, 10:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3K-S9jDdY
man those were the days...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lkX0VQwUWI

Ill Will
01-27-2014, 10:39 PM
now i didn't watch basketball back then, so i hope someone can answer this question for me. were the stars of early 2000's NBA unlike the ones of today in the way that many today are punk bitches (harden, blake, lebron, steph)? just the impression that i seem to get...

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2014, 10:49 PM
I think I just shed a tear.. :applause:

T_L_P
01-27-2014, 10:50 PM
now i didn't watch basketball back then, so i hope someone can answer this question for me. were the stars of early 2000's NBA unlike the ones of today in the way that many today are punk bitches (harden, blake, lebron, steph)? just the impression that i seem to get...

Well, the biggest stars of the early '00s were Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, Garnett, Carter, T-Mac, and I don't think any of them are like the ones you listed.

Nowadays we got players bitching about not making the All-Star game (Lance to an extent, I think Batum was pissed too). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you would have seen that back then.

Uncle Drew
01-27-2014, 10:50 PM
The feels..

AngelEyes
01-27-2014, 10:51 PM

I think the crop of stars back then was superior to the current ones.

miller-time
01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
The funny thing is when it was happening everyone thought it was a terrible era for the NBA. All of those 80s and early 90s stars were retiring and everyone was asking "who is the next Jordan?" I thought there was more flash than substance at that time.

waseem780
01-27-2014, 11:08 PM
Personality wise? no , early 2000 guys had more heart and drive.
Skill wise? still no , Shaq > Lebron , Duncan > KD , Tmac > George , Webber > Love , Kidd > Cp3 , Iverson > Harden , Garnett > Griffin , Kobe > Melo

There is more depth at PG nowadays but that is pretty much it

VIP2000
01-27-2014, 11:13 PM
Well, the biggest stars of the early '00s were Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, Garnett, Carter, T-Mac, and I don't think any of them are like the ones you listed.

Nowadays we got players bitching about not making the All-Star game (Lance to an extent, I think Batum was pissed too). Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you would have seen that back then.

Well, Shaq and Kobe hated each other. Shaq was corny like Dwight, you'd see him in Burger King and toothpaste commercials trying to be funny. And he starred in awful movies. Iverson didn't like practice and many people didn't like his attitude and the image he brought to the NBA. Vince Carter was exiled from Toronto because he allegedly faked injuries and didn't try his hardest.

Then you got malcontents like Stephon Marbury, Isaiah Rider, Steve Francis, Antoine Walker, and the entire Portland Trail Blazers team.

Yes, it was different back then but many people were complaining back then how these 'new crop of stars' weren't like Jordan, Hakeem, Barkley, etc.

Micku
01-27-2014, 11:15 PM
The funny thing is when it was happening everyone thought it was a terrible era for the NBA. All of those 80s and early 90s stars were retiring and everyone was asking "who is the next Jordan?" I thought there was more flash than substance at that time.

I remember a lot of people were complaining about how teamplay was lacking and the offense was sucking. But there were some entertaining teams like the Kings, Lakers, and Mavs.

To me there are better teamplay today, but better star depth back then...I think. I would have to go over the stars, but it felt that way. Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, Iverson, KG, Dirk, Webber, T-Mac, and Vince Carter.

VIP2000
01-27-2014, 11:16 PM

Another thing was that although the elite players were great, the overall talent level wasn't. The early 90's drafts were fairly weak (with obvious exceptions like Shaq), and many of the players who were supposed to peak in the early 00's had their primes cut short because of injuries...Penny, CWebb, Grant Hill, Alonzo Mourning, Antonio McDyess.

Rake2204
01-27-2014, 11:20 PM
The funny thing is when it was happening everyone thought it was a terrible era for the NBA. All of those 80s and early 90s stars were retiring and everyone was asking "who is the next Jordan?" I thought there was more flash than substance at that time.That is interesting, isn't it? Based upon the comments I used to hear and read everywhere in the early 2000's, I never imagined I'd one day hear folks look back on the era longingly.

Yet, clips I upload from the low-scoring, ugly ball teams of the early 2000's are littered with comments like, "Man, that's when basketball was real" and "I miss when teams would actually play defense" and "Way better brand of basketball than nowadays."

Nostalgia is a funny thing.

JimmyMcAdocious
01-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Did anyone like the And 1 era?

The stars? Absolutely. Iverson, Frobe, McGrady, Carter... Yeah. That's about as exciting as it gets. Even the lesser talents were fun to watch. But the overall play and quality of the game? Eh.

hitmanyr2k
01-27-2014, 11:38 PM
The Eastern Conference was complete trash just like today. The Western Conference Finals was the true Finals because the East was just throwing sacrificial lambs out there to be slaughtered.

TheMarkMadsen
01-27-2014, 11:40 PM
The Eastern Conference was complete trash just like today. The Western Conference Finals was the true Finals because the East was just throwing sacrificial lambs out there to be slaughtered.

LOL this is true.

SexSymbol
01-28-2014, 01:06 AM
THE BEST defensive era of all time is 00s