PDA

View Full Version : "Stern is the No. 1 force, reason why this league is where it is today" -Pat Riley

oarabbus
01-28-2014, 03:19 AM
Devin Stern :bowdown:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/27/pat-riley-says-david-stern-the-no-1-reason-why-this-league-is-where-it-is-today/

BlazerRed
01-28-2014, 03:20 AM
The fifth most popular sport in the USA? Nice job Stern :applause:

russwest0
01-28-2014, 03:21 AM
Dat parity :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Marchesk
01-28-2014, 03:28 AM
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2011/04/11/13/Kings_Lakers014.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg

JohnFreeman
01-28-2014, 03:38 AM
http://media.sacbee.com/smedia/2011/04/11/13/Kings_Lakers014.standalone.prod_affiliate.4.jpg
:cry:

sportjames23
01-28-2014, 04:19 AM
When did Stern ever suit up? I watched the NBA for the likes of MJ, Magic, Bird and Barkley, not Stern or his refs.

And before someone gives Stern credit for the League's popularity, the League wouldn't have been shit without its star players, then and now. Promoting star players isn't genius, it's common sense.

sportjames23
01-28-2014, 04:20 AM

Hell, I thought the NBA was at least the third most popular sport in the US (after the NFL and MLB). What other sports are ahead, NHL and tennis?

oarabbus
01-28-2014, 04:22 AM
Hell, I thought the NBA was at least the third most popular sport in the US (after the NFL and MLB). What other sports are ahead, NHL and tennis?

NFL, MLB, NCAA Fooball, NASCAR :facepalm , then NBA

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10354114/harris-poll-nfl-most-popular-mlb-2nd

It comes from asking people their "favorite" sport though.

DaSeba5
01-28-2014, 04:24 AM
Miami isn't a big market team. They managed to create a potential dynasty on great management. Teams like the Spurs and Thunder are small market teams, and they've been consistent contenders for quite a while. There may be too many teams in the NBA, but a lot of the management is terrible. I think teams have proven that you don't need to have the most money to succeed.

I<3NBA
01-28-2014, 04:25 AM
so MJ does not exist in Pat Riley's world?

chosen_one6
01-28-2014, 04:28 AM

I call bullshit. I want to know the sample size of that survey because I've never heard of it and I've been a sports fan almost my entire life.

oarabbus
01-28-2014, 04:35 AM
I call bullshit. I want to know the sample size of that survey because I've never heard of it and I've been a sports fan almost my entire life.

Did some digging. 2311 individuals surveyed. AFAIK it went NFL, MLB, NBA with NBA rapidly gaining ground on baseball, but this survey seems to report different results.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1365/Default.aspx

chosen_one6
01-28-2014, 04:37 AM
Did some digging. 2311 individuals surveyed. AFAIK it went NFL, MLB, NBA with NBA rapidly gaining ground on baseball, but this survey seems to report different results.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1365/Default.aspx

I thought it was a small number of people.

There's no way in hell auto racing is more popular than the NBA.

Leftimage
01-28-2014, 04:38 AM
When did Stern ever suit up? I watched the NBA for the likes of MJ, Magic, Bird and Barkley, not Stern or his refs.

And before someone gives Stern credit for the League's popularity, the League wouldn't have been shit without its star players, then and now. Promoting star players isn't genius, it's common sense.

He presided over the NBA for 30 years (which means he was constantly re-elected). During that time the league exploded in popularity and gave us (you too, I'm assuming) a bunch of highly cherished players, teams & special moments.

So what is the criticism against him exactly?

IMO ''Stern Hate'' is just a classic example of ''normal folks'' - unable to wrap their heads around the fact global power brokers like Stern are VASTLY more intelligent & talented than they are - resorting to purely invented material to make themselves feel better.

''When did Stern ever suit up?''

:facepalm

When did you ever operate a professional sports league?

moe94
01-28-2014, 04:39 AM
Blazer was trolling or very misinformed.

NBA is the second most popular sport for casuals in the USA, but diehard support of local teams is not that great in comparison to NHL and MLB.

Al Thorton
01-28-2014, 05:31 AM
stern incredibly over rated in the success of the nba. it's like giving a bunch of credit to a guy who took over the farm in the middle of major developments in agriculture. could've been anybody

knicksman
01-28-2014, 05:38 AM
stern is a joke. He just lucked out with jordan with his style. But other than that its a failure. The jordans of this world who is charismatic doesnt come too often so it didnt work to other players. And it became worse with lebron. Top 5 from top 2. LOL thats how joke of a face is lebron.

RightToCensor
01-28-2014, 05:41 AM
I guess Jordan is the reason we have global games, higher payroll, and 30 teams.

knicksman
01-28-2014, 05:50 AM
yet nfl has double profits despite lesser teams and lesser games and not known internationally. Clearly you dont know business if you think what you said are important.

YouGotServed
01-28-2014, 05:53 AM
stern incredibly over rated in the success of the nba. it's like giving a bunch of credit to a guy who took over the farm in the middle of major developments in agriculture. could've been anybody

lol! cool gimmick.

knicksman
01-28-2014, 05:58 AM
basketball is a unique sport and is already on the rise without stern. Yet its stern who got credited for it. Had jordan not around his time, This guy wouldve not last that long.

ZenMaster
01-28-2014, 11:05 AM

Saying something is the number one reason isn't the same as saying it's the only reason. You seem to be missing Rileys point completely.

SavageMode
01-28-2014, 11:08 AM
I'd say stern is #1 force for lakers 2002 championship doe

mr.big35
01-28-2014, 11:15 AM
if it werent for bird and magic nba would have died more than 30 years ago.

DukeDelonte13
01-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Miami isn't a big market team. They managed to create a potential dynasty on great collusion. Teams like the Spurs and Thunder are small market teams, and they've been consistent contenders for quite a while. There may be too many teams in the NBA, but a lot of the management is terrible. I think teams have proven that you don't need to have the most money to succeed.

Don't compare how the spurs got theirs to what Miami did. OKC hasn't won anything yet.

Wang Zhi Zhi
01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I'd say stern is #1 force for lakers 2002 championship doe
:lol

Trollsmasher
01-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Stern made Jordan, not the other way around:no:

Even after the league went on a huge decline when MJ got his father murdered, David still managed to get it through the transition phase and made it into the modern and perfect product we are watching today:bowdown:

AirTupac
01-28-2014, 11:28 AM
So many morons here. Yeah David Stern is a real big cuntbag but what he did for the NBA was huge. He expanded the game globally and took it to new levels.

Mr. Jabbar
01-28-2014, 11:30 AM
it would be irresponsible to comment on this before i hear theoo's thoughts

HurricaneKid
01-28-2014, 11:50 AM
Stern has been pretty bad for the last 8 years to be sure. But you guys are missing the big picture. When he took over the NBA the Finals were on tape delay. The NBA has come a long way and he was able to grow the game into the global game it is today.

sportjames23
01-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Saying something is the number one reason isn't the same as saying it's the only reason. You seem to be missing Rileys point completely.

No, you seem to fall for the bullshit that Stern is the main reason for the League's success.

I didn't watch the NBA because of Stern. I watched because of my favorite players. ANY commissioner with common sense would have marketed the shit out of the players that came about during Stern's tenure.

sportjames23
01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Stern made Jordan, not the other way around:no:

Even after the league went on a huge decline when MJ got his father murdered, David still managed to get it through the transition phase and made it into the modern and perfect product we are watching today:bowdown:

Did Stern teach Jordan the fundamentals of the game? Hell, did Stern market Air Jordans? Oh, no he tried to ban them, as a matter of fact.

Jordan, Magic, Bird and the rest made that little muthafvcka, not the other way around. Shit, all Stern did was follow Nike and advertise the shit outta their players.

Ancient Legend
01-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Good riddance Stern. Mofo cost the Suns a legit ring.

PsychoBe
01-28-2014, 12:19 PM
when stern took over the nba there was nothing but coked out druggies and 3-game rotations on the air (lakers, celtics, philly) that's it. he expanded just in time for the ascension of both magic and bird, dr j, and jordan and by the time the 90's came in full swing the nba had become a global force.

stern had a vision and used what he had to make his vision a reality. you can say it was luck but luck never comes to those unprepared.

tmacattack33
01-28-2014, 12:26 PM

I have no clue what you are talking about. NBA ratings have been better than MLB ratings recently, making the NBA the second most popular sport in the USA.

ZenMaster
01-28-2014, 12:28 PM
No, you seem to fall for the bullshit that Stern is the main reason for the League's success.

I didn't watch the NBA because of Stern. I watched because of my favorite players. ANY commissioner with common sense would have marketed the shit out of the players that came about during Stern's tenure.

So what you're saying is that I tuned in to watch Stern and the refs? Because that's what you're associating with giving Stern credit for taking the league forward.

TMT
01-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Funny how this quote can be comprehended in both a positive and negative light. :lol

Jasper
01-28-2014, 12:46 PM
many of you pups don't realize that Stern made this sport a world venue , that means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

He's made mistakes , but he has tried to keep teams like my Bucks and other small market teams viable to the league.
His replacement was in Milwaukee this past summer , supporting the Milwaukee franchise as well as the owner,, commending the community and team.

Obviously it was based on $$$ , but the underlining factor is the support of the sport we love.
-------
The new commish really needs to look at the rules , instant replay , and making sure the players make the game entertaining as well as competitive.
I hope the first line of business he does - is eliminate the lottery!

KyrieTheFuture
01-28-2014, 01:48 PM

Cool you watched the game for Jordan, guess who made it possible for you to watch that game on TV you ****ing idiot.

BoutPractice
01-28-2014, 01:59 PM
I would say the biggest reasons the league could get to where it is today are Bird and Magic (reigniting interest), Jordan (obviously) and the Dream Team (globalizing the game).

But Stern was fantastic at capitalizing on the opportunities handed to him. He played his cards perfectly, I don't think you could've done much more with the assets he had.

Chrono90
01-28-2014, 02:02 PM
And made good decisions based on "basketball reasons."

Hope the games will not be fixed with a new commish.

SacJB Shady
01-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Devin Stern :bowdown:
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/27/pat-riley-says-david-stern-the-no-1-reason-why-this-league-is-where-it-is-today/

where in south bay r you

PJR
01-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Stern is probably the greatest sports commissioner ever. It's either him or Pete Rozelle.

Draz
01-28-2014, 02:21 PM
I thought nfl was after the NBA?

AnaheimLakers24
01-28-2014, 02:38 PM
pat riley is a punk sell out

Bush4Ever
01-28-2014, 02:45 PM
Stern definitely did more good than bad, given the hand he was dealt over his tenure. That is seen most pointedly with respect to the globalization of the game.

His tenure was not an unmixed blessing, however.

gts
01-28-2014, 03:01 PM
"David has been great," "Obviously we had a lockout, but at the end of the day the players want more and the owners want more and we all want more. You can't knock what David has done. He came in in the '80s and build the game into what it is today.

Lebron James

riseagainst
01-28-2014, 03:08 PM
can anyone post that Vince McMahon walking gif with Stern's face on it?

Trollsmasher
01-28-2014, 03:09 PM
can anyone post that Vince McMahon walking gif with Stern's face on it?
http://i.imgur.com/9iZT6.gif
:pimp:

riseagainst
01-28-2014, 03:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9iZT6.gif
:pimp:

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Mr.Kite
01-28-2014, 03:46 PM
He's right...stern "basketball reasoned" the lakers, resulting the NBA giving miami another title.

knicksman
01-28-2014, 05:29 PM
LOL at stern making it global. Who cares about global when NFL has double profits despite only being in America. Who cares about expansion when NFL has less teams. Any idiot could expand this game. This game is bound to expand w/ or w/o stern coz its a unique game. Which means no competition. Its already popular even before stern came.

In fact the league is more profitable in the 80's. At the end of the day, its about the substance over the appearance. While stern is the lebron of the commissioners. He focuses on stats or ratings instead of gameplay or gamerules. He fools people into believing that NBA is profitable coz of ratings when its just 7 games out 82 x 30 games. Thats how sterns manipulate people. When in reality, the league is better when there is parity. The league is healthier when jordan retired in 1993 or before jordan won his first ring.

oarabbus
01-28-2014, 05:50 PM
LOL at stern making it global. Who cares about global when NFL has double profits despite only being in America. Who cares about expansion when NFL has less teams. Any idiot could expand this game. This game is bound to expand w/ or w/o stern coz its a unique game. Which means no competition. Its already popular even before stern came.

In fact the league is more profitable in the 80's. At the end of the day, its about the substance over the appearance. While stern is the lebron of the commissioners. He focuses on stats or ratings instead of gameplay or gamerules. He fools people into believing that NBA is profitable coz of ratings when its just 7 games out 82 x 30 games. Thats how sterns manipulate people. When in reality, the league is better when there is parity. The league is healthier when jordan retired in 1993 or before jordan won his first ring.

What kind of dumb bullsh1t is this? Did you not read that the NBA finals were on tape-delay before Stern showed up? "Any idiot could have run the NBA with Bird/Magic and Jordan". You can use this logic for almost anything.

"Any idiot can win oscars directing actors like Leonardo Dicaprio and Jack Nicholson"
"Any idiot can start a record label with talented artists like Snoop and Dre"
"Any idiot can win a war with a brilliant tactician like General Eisenhower"

Do people really not understand what Stern did for the image of the NBA? People really think TNT Doubleheader thursday or ESPN on Weds/Fri would have "just happened" by itself without any direction up top? The "NBA Cares" would have just happened and given a good image for the league? The pacing of the "big matchups" for league scheduling? It's all deliberate and planned.

knicksman
01-28-2014, 06:02 PM
What kind of dumb bullsh1t is this? Did you not read that the NBA finals were on tape-delay before Stern showed up? "Any idiot could have run the NBA with Bird/Magic and Jordan". You can use this logic for almost anything.

"Any idiot can win oscars directing actors like Leonardo Dicaprio and Jack Nicholson"
"Any idiot can start a record label with talented artists like Snoop and Dre"
"Any idiot can win a war with a brilliant tactician like General Eisenhower"

Do people really not understand what Stern did for the image of the NBA? People really think TNT Doubleheader thursday or ESPN on Weds/Fri would have "just happened" by itself without any direction up top? The "NBA Cares" would have just happened and given a good image for the league? The pacing of the "big matchups" for league scheduling? It's all deliberate and planned.

Thats betaish. Stern cares so much about the image when what matters is the quality or gameplay. Again its easy to expand a league esp nba which is already top sports even before stern. So any idiot could do that. And honestly who cares about ESPN LOLs. ESPN will be on your jock once your popular not the other way around. Meanwhile stern is not confident in what he has done so he tries to sell it through better advertisements which is making the league cheaper.

Sorry but its still quality over image. And once stern came, the quality of the league has became crap. You dont make it a superstar league, when the best sports are nfl and soccer which are team oriented. You dont make it soft when people loves mma/nfl/boxing. You dont make it unfair by giving superstar treatment when the best league have parity. This is where a genius and an idiot separates.

knicksman
01-28-2014, 06:03 PM
Again, this league has the potential to be on the same level as NFL but stern made it top5 only.

oarabbus
01-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Thats betaish. Stern cares so much about the image when what matters is the quality or gameplay. Again its easy to expand a league esp nba which is already top sports even before stern. So any idiot could do that. And honestly who cares about ESPN LOLs. ESPN will be on your jock once your popular not the other way around. Meanwhile stern is not confident in what he has done so he tries to sell it through better advertisements which is making the league cheaper.

Sorry but its still quality over image. And once stern came, the quality of the league has became crap. You dont make it a superstar league, when the best sports are nfl and soccer which are team oriented. You dont make it soft when people loves mma/nfl/boxing. You dont make it unfair by giving superstar treatment when the best league have parity. This is where a genius and an idiot separates.

If it's so easy why don't you go takeover the NBA and make it #1 or at least #2 :confusedshrug: Just go ahead and let Adam Silver know that you're the man in charge starting next year unless he brings the NBA to the top.

And regarding parity, because the Bucs and Jags of the league are on even footing with the Seahawks and Patriots of the league right?

Mr. Jabbar
01-28-2014, 06:13 PM
can i say the "J" word? cause that J vetoed my franchise, rot in hell devil stern

Tmuston Beltics
01-28-2014, 06:17 PM

ESPN as the source. Lmfao.

oarabbus
01-28-2014, 06:25 PM
ESPN as the source. Lmfao.

WTF? Did you not even bother to read a couple posts down? :facepalm

SHAQisGOAT
01-28-2014, 06:56 PM
He's done plenty of nice things, let's not kid ourselves here but he's also done plenty of "wrong" from basketball, the game on the court, stand-point.

Plus let's not act like he wasn't lucky af to have Bird/Magic then Jordan come along.

oarabbus
01-30-2014, 04:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/O4XzSfG.jpg

All Bird/Magic/Jordan right

knicksman
01-30-2014, 04:35 AM
If it's so easy why don't you go takeover the NBA and make it #1 or at least #2 :confusedshrug: Just go ahead and let Adam Silver know that you're the man in charge starting next year unless he brings the NBA to the top.

And regarding parity, because the Bucs and Jags of the league are on even footing with the Seahawks and Patriots of the league right?

for me basketball is the most entertaining sport and the first basketball league so theres no competition so any idiot can manage it and still would improve. It is comparable to EA or IBM. they are great because they are the first in that business and not because they are great products. But once Apple came, its over for IBM. And nba is a franchise which means its not stern whos managing every franchise but fcking businessmen who are already good at it. So again, any commissioner could do what stern did coz expanding the league is every business goal so what youre saying are just normal for a business. But its the gameplay that separates the normal commissioner like stern from a genius. If only a genius has manage this league, it wouldve been comparable to NFL by now. They wouldve retained the popularity that it had during the 80's

knicksman
01-30-2014, 04:41 AM
Stern is the wilt/lebron of commissioners. He focuses on stats or ratings and thats how he fools people into believing they are great instead of focusing on gameplay or skills that matters(lebron/wilt). It is good in the short term esp if you lucked out with jordan but eventually will implode like whats happening to the league right now. Or in case of wilt/lebron, they disappear when it matters which is the playoffs. Dont be fool by stern you idiots. Hes not that good, or else the leauge wouldnt be just top 5 from top2 considering that the top 2 is MLB which is one of the most boring sport. If you cant beat MLB then you know youre a joke.