PDA

View Full Version : Someone's facebook page after they've died

Josh
01-28-2014, 11:44 PM
Is it odd to keep it going? Does it become entirely FB property thereafter? Can they delete it if they want? Can the family upkeep it? I kinda look at it like those eerie people who have their dogs or cats stuffed by a taxidermist then have that shit just sitting on the sofa in the living room. Looking at or revisiting a dead ****s facebook page is similar, no?

GOBB
01-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Is it odd to keep it going? Does it become entirely FB property thereafter? Can they delete it if they want? Can the family upkeep it? I kinda look at it like those eerie people who have their dogs or cats stuffed by a taxidermist then have that shit just sitting on the sofa in the living room. Looking at or revisiting a dead ****s facebook page is similar, no?

No, its a place for some people to visit various times of the year birthday, holiday, day they passed to offer a few words/thoughts. A former classmate in HS of mine died. Her page is still up. Her close friends post on it during certain times. Could be a "I'm missing you" etc etc. Really not a big deal, in fact it slipped my mind her page is still up since you mentioned this thread.

Akrazotile
01-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Could be a "I'm missing you" etc etc.

Like a Puffy/Biggie situation?

Josh
01-28-2014, 11:54 PM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/10598899/Black%2BElvis%2Bkoolkeith9949.jpg

I'm seeing robots all the time. Lost in space, blasting rockets on the battlefield the girls don't like the job, fine girls, they call me the supergalactic lover because I'm the master of the game.

:facepalm

niko
01-28-2014, 11:56 PM
It's not weird actually, i've seen it.

Josh
01-29-2014, 12:08 AM
It's not weird actually, i've seen it.

It didn't feel or seem weird? Is it possible that page could one day become haunted? Will the spirit of the individual occasionally spook everyone out by doing some random "like" here and there? No dead **** better ever spook me out like that.

niko
01-29-2014, 12:10 AM
It didn't feel or seem weird? Is it possible that page could one day become haunted? Will the spirit of the individual occasionally spook everyone out by doing some random "like" here and there? No dead **** better ever spook me out like that.
You're being silly. It essentially just sits there as a kind of memorial. People use facebook so freaking much, it's actually weirder to remove the page than to use it to just from time to time post thoughts of the person.

Dresta
01-29-2014, 12:15 AM
It's way too impersonal for something like that imo. I always find it rather nauseating when somebody dies and everyone that knew the person a bit has to post a facebook message about it or write condolences on their wall. If i know the person well enough i will go to their funeral, if i don't then i will mind my own business and not post some trite nonsense on a ****ing internet page.

Draz
01-29-2014, 12:30 AM
Seen it happen. I don't have Facebook for over a year and a half now or so. Prefer not to see stupid ass people post about stupid ass shit every five seconds and degrade themselves. However, there was this way of deactivating someone's Facebook using force. Submitting some application to Facebook that the person has died etc and Facebook deletes the account.

I can understand why people want their dead relative or late friends Facebook active, perhaps a memory and a way of communicating with them. Showing other people who encounter their late persons account that they are being loved and cherished still.

Josh
01-29-2014, 12:34 AM
It's way too impersonal for something like that imo. I always find it rather nauseating when somebody dies and everyone that knew the person a bit has to post a facebook message about it or write condolences on their wall. If i know the person well enough i will go to their funeral, if i don't then i will mind my own business and not post some trite nonsense on a ****ing internet page.

Why do you always seem so angry?

Dresta
01-29-2014, 12:36 AM
What was angry about that? Why are you always asking idiotic questions?

G-train
01-29-2014, 12:38 AM
It's weird.
But facebook is weird in itself.
Go visit their grave site. Go for a walk and think of them. Call their mum and see how she is.
No need to show your 673 'friends' that you are thinking of someone. Why?

Josh
01-29-2014, 12:46 AM

It was just a question. Didn't mean to be offensive at all - however you took it that way (which as a result doesn't make my question towards you "idiotic" at all, in fact, it clearly adds validity to it).

I think you need to just chill. You always seem on edge. You're constantly name calling and being a jerk, not to mention 85% of the time it's unwarranted. You're PPO (posting pissed off) the majority of the time, and someone asking you why that is isn't idiotic. It's asking a very pertinent question.

You being offended by the question further proves there's some underlying issue at hand. If you'd like to explain, feel free. If you'd like to keep it to yourself, that's fine too - but for Christ's sake whatever you do don't prove me right by replying in a seemingly hateful manner - name calling, etc. My money says dude hits the reply button and does exactly what I said he'd do. Bank it.

Dresta
01-29-2014, 12:52 AM
Dude... why are you writing paragraphs about how 'angry' i am? I'm not bothered by my apparent anger, so i'm amazed that anyone else would be. I just thought it a stupid (and inaccurate because there was nothing 'angry' about that post) question.

Jameerthefear
01-29-2014, 12:54 AM
not really weird. some kid at our school died a couple years back and they post occasional bible verses on it. that's a little strange but it's their kid and they know him best so.

Josh
01-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Dude... why are you writing paragraphs about how 'angry' i am? I'm not bothered by my apparent anger, so i'm amazed that anyone else would be. I just thought it a stupid (and inaccurate because there was nothing 'angry' about that post) question.

Just chill the **** out mutha****a before I go ______ in this mutha****a.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TABk_EO5eZU/SW6mCwNNLnI/AAAAAAAAAfI/j31rF4IBIn8/s400/Monkey_Poo_for_you_pt1_by_Jays_Dood%2B(1).jpg

_____

I'm just messin' with you man. Being a retard. Just being myself is all.

:oldlol:

Al Thorton
01-29-2014, 02:15 AM
#rip

ROCSteady
01-29-2014, 05:39 AM
I kno a young woman (like 28) whose mother passed and now she uses her mom's Facebook I guess to try and keep her memory alive or some symbolic gesture that as long as she's around her mom will always be alive.

She posts messages to the FB account she now operates talking to her deceased mom on the page she took over. I always thought it pretty strange but you know she gets many 'Likes' so who knows if that's genuine or a guilty pandering to a girl who lost a beloved mother.

hateraid
01-29-2014, 02:47 PM
I had a friend who on the week he committed suicide made a comment on a pic of me and my family. The last thing he wrote was "take care of that beautiful family"
I'm glad they didn't shut down his page and I was able to respond even after he was gone. I shared it with everyone to reveal what a thoughtful person he was even up to his last days. I also have comfort in going back to that and remind myself how good of a friend he was.

rip2
01-29-2014, 03:14 PM
I think you can actually send FB a message to confirm the person has passed away, and they will shut the page down and turn it into a memorial page to avoid abuse or whatever

bdreason
01-29-2014, 03:46 PM
Facebook owns your info, dead or alive.

D-FENS
01-29-2014, 04:13 PM

Angry answer.

mlh1981
01-29-2014, 08:58 PM
I've seen this with twitter as well. When someone passes away, they will get mentions and what not.

mlh1981
01-29-2014, 09:00 PM
Morbid thought, but I wonder if anyone of the long time posters on here have passed away. Many just stop posting due to a variety of reasons, but this has been an active community for a number of years now, so you never know. Sad to think about, as technically, we don't know eachother, but many have conversed for a number of years.

Draz
01-29-2014, 09:31 PM
It's weird.
But facebook is weird in itself.
Go visit their grave site. Go for a walk and think of them. Call their mum and see how she is.
No need to show your 673 'friends' that you are thinking of someone. Why?
Third person tends to live in the reality of everyone in this generation and present technological time. With social networking sites, people tend to express their feelings in more ways than one. It actually all derived from communication tools such as AOL, AIM. With all of the "status" and "away messages", the expression of emotions being made known to the outside world were being tailored into everyone.

Now, we have Facebook, Twitter, that urges users to use Facebook just for specifically expressing their emotions, what they've eaten, what they think and feel about something, anything, everything.

hateraid
01-29-2014, 09:33 PM
Morbid thought, but I wonder if anyone of the long time posters on here have passed away. Many just stop posting due to a variety of reasons, but this has been an active community for a number of years now, so you never know. Sad to think about, as technically, we don't know eachother, but many have conversed for a number of years.

didn't somebody say that wilt poster had died IRL?

mlh1981
01-29-2014, 09:51 PM
didn't somebody say that wilt poster had died IRL?

Not sure. Which poster was that? I'm drawing a blank.

hateraid
01-29-2014, 09:53 PM
Not sure. Which poster was that? I'm drawing a blank.

I'm drawing a blank too, but he was obsessed with wilt, then all of a sudden stop. Jlauber?

cuad
01-29-2014, 10:06 PM
I'm drawing a blank too, but he was obsessed with wilt, then all of a sudden stop. Jlauber?
I thought jlauber was one of that Swedish kid's alts.