PDA

View Full Version : If Durant wins a ring anf FMVP this year, where does he rank all time?

Connor B
01-29-2014, 03:50 PM
And let's go ahead and say he wins regular season MVP, all-nba first team and another scoring title as well.

Age 25:

1 x championship
1 x FMVP
1 x MVP
5 x All-Nba First Team
5 x All-Star
4 x Scoring Title

I say somewhere top 15-20 over Barkley, Malone, Stockton, etc.

branslowski
01-29-2014, 03:52 PM
Top 20 easily.

Joyner82reload
01-29-2014, 03:53 PM
17-20 all time and he would literally be on PACE to be the GOAT

moe94
01-29-2014, 03:59 PM
I can maybe squeeze him into the top 80. Maybe.

sportjames23
01-29-2014, 04:00 PM
He'd be better than Lebron all time, obviously.

I mean, stans said the same thing when Lebron started winning--that he was better all time than Kobe, so that means that the Slim Reaper leapfrogs the King.

ArbitraryWater
01-29-2014, 04:01 PM
Probably Top 30-40.

LOL, you guys, Durant wins FMVP and lets say retires. You got him top 20?? :oldlol:

GOATbe
01-29-2014, 04:02 PM
#2 all time behind Godbe. If he wins 4-5, scores 82+ he passes Kobe all time and is GOAT:applause: .

ArbitraryWater

I mean, stans said the same thing when Lebron started winning--that he was better all time than Kobe, so that means that the Slim Reaper leapfrogs the King.

Thats some simplistic slow ass logic

And you're also saying LeBron > Kobe all time.... agreed :applause:

Marchesk
:facepalm

What you guys are saying is that if Durant retired after this season with FMVP, his career would eclipse the likes of Barkley and Malone's?

Also, the part about being on pace for GOAT - Durant isn't the first player to have a great first seven seasons. Nor is it a GOAT first seven. I'll take Jordan, Wilt, Baylor, Russell, Oscar, Kareem, Shaq, Dr. J and Lebron off the top of my head.

K Xerxes
01-29-2014, 04:03 PM
About top 30 all time. Don't really see him cracking the top 20 unless he goes on some GOAT playoff run with monster performance after monster performance. Can see a case for him over Stockton, but not Barkley and Malone etc.

He wins MVP and FMVP, and that's an impressive resume at the age of 25. Then we can start thinking about his top 10-15 GOAT potential.

ArbitraryWater
What you guys are saying is that if Durant retired after this season with FMVP, his career would eclipse the likes of Barkley and Malone's?

Also, the part about being on pace for GOAT - Durant isn't the first player to have a great first seven seasons. Nor is it a GOAT first seven. I'll take Jordan, Wilt, Baylor, Russell, Oscar, Kareem, Shaq, Dr. J and Lebron off the top of my head.

Yep, what I said. Not necessarily Barkley or Malone, but some even go to top 15 :facepalm

BigTicket
He'd be top 20 all time.

Not a lot of players out there with MVP + FMVP + multiple scoring titles.

sportjames23
01-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Thats some simplistic slow ass logic

And you're also saying LeBron > Kobe all time.... agreed :applause:

I'm just using your logic, son. So, if Lebron > Kobe all time, then you agree KD > Lebron all time if KD wins a ring this year, amirite?

Joyner82reload
01-29-2014, 04:05 PM
Probably Top 40.

LOL, you guys, Durant wins FMVP and lets say retires. You got him top 20?? :oldlol:

7 seasons
ROY
5 All NBA 1st teams
5X All Star
4 Scoring titles
1 MVP
1 FMVP
3X MVP runner up
Top 10 Peak All Time(it wouldn't even be his real peak, that's in 3-4 years)

moe94
01-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Come on, dude. You're better than this. At least I'd like to think you are.

Jameerthefear
01-29-2014, 04:06 PM
About top 30 all time. Don't really see him cracking the top 20 unless he goes on some GOAT playoff run with monster performance after monster performance. Can see a case for him over Stockton, but not Barkley and Malone etc.

He wins MVP and FMVP, and that's an impressive resume at the age of 25. Then we can start thinking about his top 10-15 GOAT potential.
he's definitely already better then stockton and malone ever were

T_L_P
01-29-2014, 04:06 PM

Duncan?

He'd be top 30-35 if he wins a ring/finals MVP

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 04:08 PM
He'd be top 20 all time.

Not a lot of players out there with MVP + FMVP + multiple scoring titles.

No he wouldn't. I like Durant and he's had a great career so far, but top 20 is really, really good. Part of being top 20 is having an entire career worthy of it, not just 7 good seasons.

Durant is not ahead of Havlicek at this point.

BigTicket
01-29-2014, 04:09 PM
No he wouldn't. I like Durant and he's had a great career so far, but top 20 is really, really good. Part of being top 20 is having an entire career worthy of it, not just 7 good seasons.

Durant is not ahead of Havlicek at this point.

Peak performance and achievements are far more important than longevity.

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 04:12 PM
Duncan?

Yeah, I'm curious now as to who would be in the top 10 first 7 seasons. Durant has had an epic month and I hope it continues to a FMVP, but the stanning is getting a little bit out of control.

moe94
01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Peak performance and achievements are far more important than longevity.

So you have T-Mac higher than Reggie?

Joyner82reload
01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I'm curious now as to who would be in the top 10 first 7 seasons. Durant has had an epic month and I hope it continues to a FMVP, but the stanning is getting a little bit out of control.

Are you kidding me? He's posting one of the greatest seasons in history right now, albeit only 50% done, and last year was a top 25 regular season all time.

4 scoring titles
MVP, 3 runner up MVP's, 1 4th place MVP
5X 1st team all pro
5X All Star
FMVP as undisputed number 1
Title
Top 10 GOAT regular season

Please tell me several players who had better career's 7 years in.

moe94
01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
All-NBA, joyner. For a dude obsessed with stats, you should know this by heart.

Milbuck
01-29-2014, 04:18 PM
He'd be towards the end of my top 20. If this truly isn't his peak, that's just insane.

r0drig0lac
01-29-2014, 04:19 PM
maybe top 50

AirGauge23
01-29-2014, 04:20 PM
Top 25

fpliii
01-29-2014, 04:20 PM
I do.

sportjames23
01-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Come on, dude. You're better than this. At least I'd like to think you are.

The hurt in some of ya'lls butts is strong. :oldlol:

Look, brah, I'm just using stan logic back at the stans here. It's funny seeing them get upset about it.

moe94
01-29-2014, 04:24 PM
I do.

Care to explain?

The hurt in some of ya'lls butts is strong. :oldlol:

Look, brah, I'm just using stan logic back at the stans here. It's funny seeing them get upset about it.

No on is "hurt". Quit flattering yourself. I just saw a retarded comment and questioned your authenticity.

fpliii
01-29-2014, 04:27 PM
Care to explain?
No energy today TBH. I owe you one when I have a chance. Maybe when I get home, but I'm drained homie.

KyrieTheFuture
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
Joyner's obsession with stats would make me think he'd buddy up real well with LeBron. To answer the OP, 30-35

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Are you kidding me? He's posting one of the greatest seasons in history right now, albeit only 50% done, and last year was a top 25 regular season all time.

4 scoring titles
5X 1st team all pro
5X All Star
Title

Obviously, Wilt, Oscar, Kareem and MJ without question. I don't think you can make a case over Russell either. Or Shaq. Someone mentioned Duncan. Baylor was fantastic. West was very good. Dr. J's first five were exceptional. Then there's Magic.

McAdoo had an excellent first 7 seasons:

ROY
MVP
5X All Star
3X scoring champ

27.3/12.2/2.8 with 1.2 steals and 1.9 blocks on 50.9%

MellowYellow
01-29-2014, 04:40 PM
I have Durant going up to low 30s and Westbrook to high 40s. Also Reggie Jackson and Serge Ibaka moves in to the top 100.

All Net
01-29-2014, 04:43 PM
I think at this stage of his career top 17-20 range depending on your list based on how he wins.

NumberSix
01-29-2014, 04:47 PM
Maybe just outside of Dirk range.

J Shuttlesworth
#2 all time behind Godbe. If he wins 4-5, scores 82+ he passes Kobe all time and is GOAT:applause: .
Actually if Durant wins this year, he will be ahead of Kobe all time. The last time Kobe had a season like this, didn't he miss the playoffs?

navy
Westbrook to high 40s. Also Reggie Jackson and Serge Ibaka moves in to the top 100.
:roll:

T_L_P
01-29-2014, 04:52 PM

4 scoring titles
5X 1st team all pro
5X All Star
Title

I don't particular care for MVP voting (unless they win it), because someone could finish second place on 20/10/2, whereas the year before someone might finish 3rd with 22/13/4. I'll look at their career (or in this case 7 seasons) stats.

Just a few (in no particular order):

Michael Jordan
Tim Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

BigTicket
01-29-2014, 04:52 PM

That's a close call. T-mac doesn't really have any achievements, but his peak performance certainly was better. In the I would put Reggie higher because he has won in the playoffs, while T-mac hasn't.

ArbitraryWater
01-29-2014, 04:53 PM
I'm just using your logic, son. So, if Lebron > Kobe all time, then you agree KD > Lebron all time if KD wins a ring this year, amirite?

LeBron with the MVP's, Defense, all around game&OVERALL PLAYING TIME, did enough for it to be the icing on the cake in 2012 passing him by Kobe... while KD literally wont have anything over LBJ even if he wins fmvp...

so get back into my pocket son

ArbitraryWater
01-29-2014, 04:54 PM
he's definitely already better then stockton and malone ever were

Durant better than Malone ever was? Uhhh lets see..

Black and White
01-29-2014, 04:58 PM
LeBron with the MVP's, Defense, all around game&OVERALL PLAYING TIME, did enough for it to be the icing on the cake in 2012 passing him by Kobe... while KD literally wont have anything over LBJ even if he wins fmvp...

so get back into my pocket son

Kobes body of work still ranks above Bron's, I think 1 more title and then he moves forward,

as for Durant, you could make a case for him being anywhere between 18-25 atm.

cos88
01-29-2014, 04:59 PM
first durant needs to stop his 2 year streak of 4 consecutive L in the playoffs

navy
01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
Kobes body of work still ranks above Bron's, I think 1 more title and then he moves forward,

I disagree. Kobe has 17 years on his resume. Lebron wont vault over that with one more title. I already think Lebron is better than Kobe ever was though.

ArbitraryWater
01-29-2014, 05:00 PM

Body of work huh?

Got it.

Black and White
01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
I disagree. Kobe has 17 years on his resume. Lebron wont vault over that with one more title. I already think Lebron is better than Kobe ever was though.

Kobe and Bron are 2 different types of players so it's hard to make that comparision, Kobe had a much better scoring peak than LeBron, 3 titles would put him in the convo according to many here, but I agree with you in regards to Kobe's body of work being far superior, longevity cannot be overlooked.

T_L_P
01-29-2014, 05:03 PM
Duncan's first 7 seasons:

-22.8 PPG / 12.3 RPG / 3.2 APG / 0.8 SPG / 2.5 BPG (Regular Season)

-23.9 PPG / 13.1 RPG / 3.9 APG / 0.7 SPG / 2.9 BPG (Playoffs)

-2 MVPs ('01-'02/'02-'03), 2 championships ('99/'03), 2 Finals MVPs ('99/'03)

-One of the two or three greatest individual Playoff runs of all-time ('03, 24.7/15.4/5.3/0.6/3.3), and arguably one of the ten greatest Finals performances ('03 is again top 5; '99 may be top 10 with 27.4/14.0/2.4/1.0/2.4)

Duncan's first 7 seasons shit on Durant's.

Black and White
01-29-2014, 05:04 PM
Body of work huh?

Got it.

Yea, his career.

LBJ 23
01-29-2014, 05:08 PM
17-20 all time and he would literally be on PACE to be the GOAT

He can never be GOAT, he lost in the Finals already :violin:

navy
01-29-2014, 05:15 PM
He can never be GOAT, he lost in the Finals already :violin:

This logic is dumb. If he wins six or seven titles he will be the Goat regardless of an imperfect record. Assuming his stats continue at their current pace.

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 05:16 PM
This logic is dumb. If he wins six or seven titles he will be the Goat regardless of an imperfect record. Assuming his stats continue at their current pace.

He will be in the conversation. With guys like MJ, Kareem, Russell and Wilt. Lettuce not forget that Lebron is still in his prime.

Flash31
01-29-2014, 05:17 PM

At the moment
Durant has absolutely 0 case for TOP 20 PERIOD.

Jordan,Wilt,Russell,Kareem,Magic,Bird,Shaq,Kobe,Wa de,West,LeBron,Hakeem,Stockton,K Malone,Oscar,Duncan,Garnett,Dirk,DR J,Frazier

Baylor,Havlicek,Barkley,Rodman,Pippen

That's 25 who have a BETTER CAREER THAN DURANT ATM

and I'm not including everybody else I didn't name

SO NO 18-25
ATM--HELL NO

Currently ACtive players above KD

WADE,LEBRON,KOBE,DIRK,GARNETT,DUNCAN,PIERCE,ALLEN, NASH,
HOWARD

That's 10 players still active that so far have a BETTER Career than Durant

so 18-25 NO

navy
01-29-2014, 05:18 PM
He will be in the conversation. With guys like MJ, Kareem, Russell and Wilt. Lettuce not forget that Lebron is still in his prime.
No, there wont be an argument for anyone else. He wont win 6-7 titles as the man though. Not in this era.

Olacinco
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
Not even trolling but he's not even in the top 50 YET.

He could go down tommorow. None of this is even worth talking about because it's not gunna happen only cuz he ain't even making it out the second round this year

Black and White
01-29-2014, 05:19 PM
At the moment
Durant has absolutely 0 case for TOP 20 PERIOD.

Jordan,Wilt,Russell,Kareem,Magic,Bird,Shaq,Kobe,Wa de,West,LeBron,Hakeem,Stockton,K Malone,Oscar,Duncan,Garnett,Dirk,DR J,Frazier

Baylor,Havlicek,Barkley,Rodman,Pippen

That's 25 who have a BETTER CAREER THAN DURANT ATM

and I'm not including everybody else I didn't name

SO NO 18-25
ATM--HELL NO

Currently ACtive players above KD

WADE,LEBRON,KOBE,DIRK,GARNETT,DUNCAN,PIERCE,ALLEN, NASH,
HOWARD

That's 10 players still active that so far have a BETTER Career than Durant

so 18-25 NO

It all depends how you look at it, I'm not the only one saying it, Durant with a ring > Howard, Allen and for sure.

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 05:21 PM
No, there wont be an argument for anyone else. He wont win 6-7 titles as the man though. Not in this era.

Jesus Christ. Is Jordan forgotten already? Durant has nothing on MJ, except 3pt shooting.

But agreed on not winning 6-7 titles in this era as the man. Lebron won't do it either. The only chance is for him and Westbrook to stay together and hope Presti can eternally find and develop young, cheap talent.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. Just a month ago, it was Lebron's world. KD goes off for one stinking month and now he's the next GOAT. I was enjoying all the trolling and stanning at Lebron fans, but you don't start talking about eclipsing MJ and the GOAT bigs because a guy had a great month.

LBJ 23
01-29-2014, 05:26 PM

Of course this logic is dumb, that was the point of my post. I thought it was obvious I was being sarcastic hence my nickname.

Flash31
01-29-2014, 05:26 PM
It all depends how you look at it, I'm not the only one saying it, Durant with a ring > Howard, Allen and for sure.

kd WITH A RING BETTER THAN hOWARD-YEAH

KD With a Ring better than R Allen-maybe,maybe not

as of now,
Howard has multiple DPOY
R Allen has 2 Rings and has all time 3 pt record and his totals are increasing

It's like putting Dirk over K Malone and Barkley--some say yes,others NO

ATM-KD has 0 CASE for top 20-25--0 case
his stats don't warrant it,his totals don't,
he has no DPOY,no MVPS,no team accomplishments,no nothing

T-Mac to 04 had a better case than KDand he wasn'
t top 20 either

You may not be the only one saying it but that doesn't make it right or true

It's like people proclaiming James Harden,Kevin Love and Paul George sUPERSTARS
OR Kobe close to Jordan or Dirk better than K Malone

If 1 ring made him top 20,then D WADE IS TOP 10 ALREADY

but people don't say that

Black and White
01-29-2014, 05:29 PM

as of now,
Howard has multiple DPOY

t top 20 either

Yea I'm cool with it, Durant would be ranked over Howard for sure, but all I'm saying is there will be debates about him being in that range, thats all

Joyner82reload
01-29-2014, 05:36 PM

as of now,
Howard has multiple DPOY

t top 20 either

How the hell was 2004 McGrady better than Durant? How does he not surpass Ray Allen? I can't wait to hear this.

As for Durant, I think with MVP+FMVP+scoring title he's actually in the 25-30 range. He would be right in the Dirk, D-Robinson, Pippen type ranking. Way ahead of players like Nash, Drexler, and Ewing.

ArbitraryWater
01-29-2014, 05:38 PM
Yea, his career.

Say career then.

Body of work some fancy stuff to make it sound good :oldlol:

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 05:40 PM
How the hell was 2004 McGrady better than Durant? I can't wait to hear this.

As for Durant, I think with MVP+FMVP+scoring title he's actually in the 25-30 range. He would be right in the Dirk, D-Robinson, Pippen type ranking. Way ahead of players like Nash, Drexler, and Ewing.

In what way has Durant's career so far equaled all of Pippen's? We're talking about the second best player on the greatest dynasty since the 60s who's considered potentially the GOAT perimeter defender.

It's like Durant is putting up Wilt numbers his first seven seasons.

Now would I take Durant over Pippen? Yeah, as the main guy. Can Durant finish top 10 all-time? If he keeps it up, he's going to have a good case. Does he have an actual shot at GOAT? Top 5 is an extremely high bar, so it's really unfair to go there this soon in his career. Lebron has a much better shot at this point.

navy
01-29-2014, 05:41 PM
Jesus Christ. Is Jordan forgotten already? Durant has nothing on MJ, except 3pt shooting.

But agreed on not winning 6-7 titles in this era as the man. Lebron won't do it either. The only chance is for him and Westbrook to stay together and hope Presti can eternally find and develop young, cheap talent.

Anyway, this is ridiculous. Just a month ago, it was Lebron's world. KD goes off for one stinking month and now he's the next GOAT. I was enjoying all the trolling and stanning at Lebron fans, but you don't start talking about eclipsing MJ and the GOAT bigs because a guy had a great month.

I said if he wins 6-7 titles at his current pace which is 30+ on 50% shooting. GOAT.

Flash31
01-29-2014, 05:42 PM

4 scoring titles
5X 1st team all pro
5X All Star
Title

top 10 goat reg season??hell no

WILT,JORDAN,BIRD,OSCAR,RUSSELL,LEBRON,SHAQ,DUNCAN, Ewing,
WEST,Stockton,K Malone,Thurmond,Baylor

and I'm not including even multiple seasons of their's

several guys
here you go

Dwyane Wade
MJ
B Russell
Kareem
Shaq
Duncan
West
Hakeem
Kobe

and on and on

stop the stanning and overrating,it's ridiculous

Marchesk
01-29-2014, 05:47 PM
I said if he wins 6-7 titles at his current pace which is 30+ on 50% shooting. GOAT.

So if he continues what he's been doing the past month over six to seven championships? Alright, but how likely is that? And I'm still not sure that eclipses Jordan. It's close though.

Flash31
01-29-2014, 05:49 PM
How the hell was 2004 McGrady better than Durant? How does he not surpass Ray Allen? I can't wait to hear this.

TMACS Career up to 2004 was Better

Right now with no ring,no mvps,no nothing

Ray Allen has 2 rings,all time 3 pt record,his totals surpass Durants,
even with a Finals MVP and ring he's not clear cut better than R Allens career

KD with 1 ring,1
does not touch top 20
ATM

His totals,stats,acivements aren't even close

This isn't LeBron where after first ring he had multiple mvps,finals,ring,great stats

This is a guy who aside from all star has scoring titles but he's not blowing away the competion and isn't a clear cut best at ANYTHING

Even if KD wins 1 ring
he's not better than Dirk,Pippen,Robinson ATM bc his career compared to theirs isn't close

Black and White
01-29-2014, 05:54 PM
Say career then.

Body of work some fancy stuff to make it sound good :oldlol:

Fair enough :cheers:

moe94
01-29-2014, 05:54 PM

Better than Durant? It really wasn't. In fact, there is absolutely no argument.

Joyner82reload
01-29-2014, 05:58 PM
top 10 goat reg season??hell no

WILT,JORDAN,BIRD,OSCAR,RUSSELL,LEBRON,SHAQ,DUNCAN, Ewing,
WEST,Stockton,K Malone,Thurmond,Baylor

and I'm not including even multiple seasons of their's

several guys
here you go

Dwyane Wade
MJ
B Russell
Kareem
Shaq
Duncan
West
Hakeem
Kobe

and on and on

stop the stanning and overrating,it's ridiculous

He's averaging 31.3/7.8/5.2 on 65 TS% with no 2nd option on his team and they're on pace for 64 wins. If he keeps up his averages from the past month until the All Star break, he'll be ranked #1 all time for a single season in PER & WSp48 with 30 games left to play

Joyner82reload
01-29-2014, 05:59 PM

Stop posting immediately. This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on Insidehoops

sportjames23
01-29-2014, 06:03 PM
Stop posting immediately. This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen posted on Insidehoops

Give it time, brah. You'll see some outrageous shit here, trust.

pauk
01-29-2014, 06:51 PM
Top 30 perhaps.

knicksman
01-29-2014, 07:10 PM
legit ring>>2 ringchasers ring

so definitely higher than lebron

Mr. Jabbar
01-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Top 30 perhaps.

dyna
01-29-2014, 08:10 PM
35-45

DMAVS41
01-29-2014, 08:22 PM
Not really sure.

He'd still be behind Wade all time for me...so I'd say top 30

Jacks3
01-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Top 25.

riseagainst
01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
comfortably ahead of Lebron. Right now he's just slightly behind Lebron.

JUDGE WITNESS
01-29-2014, 09:11 PM
well he'd be on pace to be the GOAT barring career-ending injury

but that wont happen