PDA

View Full Version : We need to appreciate this LeBron-Durant rivalry

K Xerxes
01-30-2014, 09:43 AM
To get two players playing the same position and who are so much more dominant over the rest of the league as they are... it's really rare to see. That scoring exchange they had yesterday was ridiculous, and was refreshing to see given that Lebron had been playing so conservatively leading up to that game.

I really hope we get this series in the finals. Personally, I feel that Brooks cost OKC the 2012 finals with terrible adjustments (especially to Lebron posting up) and little to no offensive sets. I don't see an improvement in set plays, but they're adjusting better, and sitting Perkins is a massive step in the right direction.

The two banana skins are Indiana and Westbrook's health. I don't see how anyone in the West is stopping a fully healthy OKC, but I do see Indiana stopping Miami. No offense to Indiana fans, but I hope not. This would be an epic finals rematch and could set an iconic rivalry for a few years to come (until LeBron fully starts declining). :cheers:

moe94
01-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Chances this thread turns into shit flinging? 100%.

JohnFreeman
01-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Not trolling, but I would still bet on Miami in that series.

Trollsmasher
01-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Not trolling, but I would still bet on Miami in that series.
Me too. But it would a lot closer than I would've expected before, since Brooks apparently figured out that playing Perk against Miami is a suicide.

I am hoping for those Finals though. Can't even hate on KD right now. I just want a great basketball.

NumberSix
01-30-2014, 09:53 AM
All Miami needs to correct is being more careful with the ball. OKCs 3 point shooting last night was just kinda flukey.

OKC pretty much went "regular season Knicks" on them last night.

K Xerxes
01-30-2014, 09:56 AM
Miami focused a lot on Durant just as every other team has been and he still went off. Pretty much an average game for him recently, but if Westbrook returns, this won't be possible.

OKC are formidable with Westbrook, aren't they like 23-4 or something?

If they matchup, I think it all rests on coaching.

Mr Exlax
01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
The thing that pisses me off about this rivalry is that KD does not gaurd LeBron enough to my liking. Imagine if Kobe didn't hold the opposing SG or MJ not holding the opposing SG. He's gotta come on with it man. LeBron held him i think like 26 possessions and KD only held him 9. That's not what I want to see.

riseagainst
01-30-2014, 09:59 AM
would be a nice rivalry if they are close to each other as players. But durant is so far ahead of Lebron now that it's just turning into a massacre.

westsideozzie
01-30-2014, 10:01 AM
This is a real rivalry unlike Kobe who is older and not as talented as the other two physical freaks.

TheGreatDeraj
01-30-2014, 10:26 AM
All Miami needs to correct is being more careful with the ball. OKCs 3 point shooting last night was just kinda flukey.

keep dreaming!

Heat had no answer for KD tonight

flukey threes? Hitting big shots that have no business going in is a huge part of Fishers game. You would know that if you were actually an LA fan like you claim...

Also, Russell Westbrook didn't play either. You know the guy who scored 40 on you guys in the finals and nearly won the game himself.

Heat problems against the Thunder go FAR beyond lucky threes.

When was the last time the heat looked like the slower less talented team in a big game?

Thunder are a more athletic, better rebounding and a better defending team. Oh yea, and they have the best player in the league.

@OP

100% agree that duel last night between Lebron and Durant may have been the best moment of the season so far

Ancient Legend
01-30-2014, 10:29 AM
would be a nice rivalry if they are close to each other as players. But durant is so far ahead of Lebron now that it's just turning into a massacre.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1523321/Nicolas-Cage-Trying-to-hold-in-laughter.gif

Prometheus
01-30-2014, 10:34 AM

http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0015/47t2114508.jpg

leMVP
01-30-2014, 10:36 AM
Make it happen Adam!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

Olacinco
01-30-2014, 10:37 AM
Not even top 2 in the league so no we don't

HoopsFanNumero1
01-30-2014, 10:47 AM
keep dreaming!

Heat had no answer for KD tonight

flukey threes? Hitting big shots that have no business going in is a huge part of Fishers game. You would know that if you were actually an LA fan like you claim...

Also, Russell Westbrook didn't play either. You know the guy who scored 40 on you guys in the finals and nearly won the game himself.

Heat problems against the Thunder go FAR beyond lucky threes.

When was the last time the heat looked like the slower less talented team in a big game?

Thunder are a more athletic, better rebounding and a better defending team. Oh yea, and they have the best player in the league.

@OP

100% agree that duel last night between Lebron and Durant may have been the best moment of the season so far

You got all that from one game? Their three point shooting was flukey. Fisher banked in like two three point shots. And the Heat have looked like the less talented team before. Just look at last year's two Pacers games where they got blown out and people reacted the same way.

As for more athletic, better defending, etc I heard all of that before the 2012 Finals too. Not saying OKC hasn't gotten better since then but you can't base all this off one game where the Heat went cold from three.

moe94
01-30-2014, 11:16 AM
http://i.imgur.com/p2gXjsw.gif

crisoner
01-30-2014, 11:17 AM
Agreed great rivalry. And both play the same posturing unlike Magic and Bird.
I wouldn't point out KD not guarding LeBron do much as some sort of weakness to this rivalry. Magic and Bird didn't guard each other much.
But this is something Jordan never had....another player on a good team just as dominant???? Durant has to win titles first though.

PyrrhusX
01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Miami wont even be in the finals. This time next year we are going to be talking about the Paul George and Kevin Durant rivalry.

dabigbaws
01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
The thing that pisses me off about this rivalry is that KD does not gaurd LeBron enough to my liking. Imagine if Kobe didn't hold the opposing SG or MJ not holding the opposing SG. He's gotta come on with it man. LeBron held him i think like 26 possessions and KD only held him 9. That's not what I want to see.

no, durant got off more shots because he is better at getting his own shot
plus if you watched the game, which i think you didn't, bran kept passing the ball when KD was covering him 1 on 1. passing heaps

moe94
01-30-2014, 11:20 AM
Miami wont even be in the finals. This time next year we are going to be talking about the Paul George and Kevin Durant rivalry.

Big talk for a team that might have an injury prone PG who will get slaughtered in the playoffs if he's not around. In fact, Miami has a much higher chance of reaching the Finals than OKC does. Where is this insane confidence stemming from? Regular season wins? :roll:

edrick
01-30-2014, 11:27 AM
KD finally beat Lebron... KD had lost 6 straight before last night to Lebron. Everyone go nuts!

Jlamb47
01-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Big talk for a team that might have an injury prone PG who will get slaughtered in the playoffs if he's not around. In fact, Miami has a much higher chance of reaching the Finals than OKC does. Where is this insane confidence stemming from? Regular season wins? :roll:

Of course Miami do there in a weal conference and only competition is Indiana. But OKC won.

moe94
01-30-2014, 11:41 AM
Of course Miami do there in a weal conference and only competition is Indiana. But OKC won.
Yeah, that is the point. OKC has to go through a gauntlet, thus making their Finals appearance inherently less likely.

BoutPractice
01-30-2014, 11:45 AM
plus if you watched the game, which i think you didn't, bran kept passing the ball when KD was covering him 1 on 1. passing heaps

Plus Durant had two early fouls so it wasn't necessarily the best idea for him to guard LeBron 1 on 1.

Miami's strategy, meanwhile, was to double Durant and force him to pass it out, however he still managed to find opportunities.

LeBron generally did a great job on defense, he was physical and always in the spot he was supposed to be, but Kevin Durant is just that good.

sd3035
01-30-2014, 12:05 PM

The Knicks are 18-27

pauk
01-30-2014, 12:07 PM
Its no rivalry until both teams/players win against eachother in a playoff series see Magic/Bird or Reggie/Knicks etc.

ThunderKat
01-30-2014, 12:20 PM
KD finally beat Lebron... KD had lost 6 straight before last night to Lebron. Everyone go nuts!

I agree you can't overreact. Still though, they thumped them pretty good and that was without Westbrook.

Mr Exlax
01-30-2014, 12:24 PM

I'm going by ESPN's calculations. They said KD guarded LeBron only 9 possessions while LeBron guarded KD 26 i think. They had the number of shots attempted and all that. You're the only person that has even addressed it though so maybe the LeBron fans are hiding? Hell maybe the KD fans are too. You're right though. I missed pretty much the whole game.

pauk

He gave KD his 2nd foul in the 1st, then he gave him a 3rd when he tried again. This is actually how it has been going for KD guarding Lebron majority of the time, Lebron putting KD in foul trouble, he switches and then he is ok, its just to risky. In the Finals he averaged 4 fouls a game against Miami (more than anybody) and the last time they played previous to this game KD got 6 fouls.

ArbitraryWater
Exactly! 2 Great players, lets enjoy them.

For now LeBron is still the King, we'll see in the playoffs if the torch is going to be passed...

KyrieTheFuture
01-30-2014, 12:37 PM
Kevin Durant bothers people defensively because of his length, not because he has great defensive fundamentals. LeBron has to drive past you or get enough separation and neither of things are really possible against Durant. Similarly, the only way to properly defend Durant is deny him the ball (see 2012 Finals) once he has possession, he's the new Bird where only the only thing stopping the ball from dropping every time he releases is God. There is no guarding KD after he has the ball.

Also, I'm curious what would have happened if LeBron took the Magic Johnson route and was just classified as a PG (which he really is). Would people still give him **** for passing the ball?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-30-2014, 12:40 PM
Who didn't appreciate last nights game, or more specifically, Durant and Bron's 3rd quarter exchange? :confusedshrug:

NumberSix
01-30-2014, 12:49 PM
Who didn't appreciate last nights game, or more specifically, Durant and Bron's 3rd quarter exchange? :confusedshrug:
I didn't.

MASH Transit
01-30-2014, 01:03 PM
He gave KD his 2nd foul in the 1st, then he gave him a 3rd when he tried again. This is actually how it has been going for KD guarding Lebron majority of the time, Lebron putting KD in foul trouble, he switches and then he is ok, its just to risky. In the Finals he averaged 4 fouls a game against Miami (more than anybody) and the last time they played previous to this game KD got 6 fouls.

Durant shut LeBron down.

HoopsFanNumero1
01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Durant shut LeBron down.

He barely guarded him throughout the game. How could he have shut him down?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-30-2014, 01:08 PM
I didn't.
:confusedshrug:

My question was directed at BASKETBALL FANS, not player-zealots.

ArbitraryWater
01-30-2014, 01:20 PM
I don't really give the Spurs a Chance to beat the Thunder.

I think once the Conference Finals roll around, and the Thunder most likely secure the Finals spot, that the League is going to rig the Heat vs Pacers matchup for the Heat, in order to see a Thunder vs Heat, LeBron vs Durant Showdown.

And honestly, I think thats what we all would love to see. These two going at it again, for one full series. Might make an epic encounter and battle between the two individuals&teams.

Mr Exlax
01-30-2014, 01:21 PM

So if KD can't even defend this guy, how is this an epic battle or a rivalry? How can one say Durant got the better of him when he's not even the one guarding him on the other end? What kind of shit is that?

aj1987
01-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Miami is NOT gonna be this bad from the 3pt (3-20) line again and this horrid with the passing. Thunder went like 17-26 from the 3pt range.

GOATbe
01-30-2014, 02:28 PM
I don't see how it's a rivalry when one player trumps the other in every facet of the game. :confusedshrug:

Solefade
01-30-2014, 02:41 PM
Perry Jones III, fisher and lamb were all pretty flukey from 3, KD didnt do shit until late in the 3rd

chips93
01-30-2014, 04:13 PM
Kevin Durant bothers people defensively because of his length, not because he has great defensive fundamentals. LeBron has to drive past you or get enough separation and neither of things are really possible against Durant. Similarly, the only way to properly defend Durant is deny him the ball (see 2012 Finals) once he has possession, he's the new Bird where only the only thing stopping the ball from dropping every time he releases is God. There is no guarding KD after he has the ball.

Also, I'm curious what would have happened if LeBron took the Magic Johnson route and was just classified as a PG (which he really is). Would people still give him **** for passing the ball?

huh, that is interesting

iirc in his very first game in the nba he was classified as a pg

im not sure when he switched to sf

SamuraiSWISH
01-30-2014, 04:15 PM
He barely guarded him throughout the game. How could he have shut him down?
But why would he? He shoulders so much of the offense for OKC, and he doesn't have the luxury of playing with a D-Wade, Bosh, Ray Allen combo right now. He's gotten surprise offensive production for maybe a couple guys in this stretch. Sefalosha's niche is trying to shut down the opposing team's best perimeter player.

Mr. Jabbar
01-30-2014, 04:17 PM
but its not a rivalry anymore

J Shuttlesworth
01-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Let's be realistic. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all put up good numbers. They got blownout by the Thunder without Westbrook. I'm a LeBron fan but I can't see the Heat winning in a series after what I saw last night.

Ancient Legend
01-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Let's be realistic. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh all put up good numbers. They got blownout by the Thunder without Westbrook. I'm a LeBron fan but I can't see the Heat winning in a series after what I saw last night.

Relax, it's just one game. The Heat were 6-1 from the Finals til yesterday against OKC. Miami has looked bad in the regular season against good teams before beating them in the playoffs.

In a playoffs series you would see notable adjustments after each loss.

All Net
01-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Amen op

It's a joy to see.

NumberSix
01-30-2014, 04:24 PM
:confusedshrug:

My question was directed at BASKETBALL FANS, not player-zealots.
LeBron played well but the TEAM lost. Seems like a "player-zealot" would have nothing to be upset about.

SamuraiSWISH
01-30-2014, 04:26 PM
LeBron was decent last night. Inspiring in the 3rd quarter, but besides that expected a bigger game out of him. Especially considering like a few of those baskets to put his total to 34 came in garbage time. Yet again. But 3 assists, and 3 rebounds is terrible given his acclaimed "all around" stature. There is no denying this.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-30-2014, 04:28 PM
LeBron played well but the TEAM lost. Seems like a "player-zealot" would have nothing to be upset about.

Wait what? Aren't you a Lebron/Lakers fan? lol

Mr. Jabbar
01-30-2014, 04:31 PM
http://media.fyre.co/S2eiHp6WQNi33K2M7r1O_jjgfj.png

i got a feeling this is gonna be used next to that dirk vs bron chart :lol

NumberSix
01-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Wait what? Aren't you a Lebron/Lakers fan? lol
Lakers/Heat fan....

I know. It's an incredibly hard concept to grasp. It's like, liking 1 team...... and liking another one too.

All Net
01-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Lakers/Heat fan....

I know. It's an incredibly hard concept to grasp. It's like, liking 1 team...... and liking another one too.

People liking two teams isn't that odd anymore.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-30-2014, 04:35 PM
Lakers/Heat fan....

Yeah. Kind of like cheering for BOTH the Sox and Yanks. Makes perfect sense. :cheers:

AirTupac
01-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Jabbar is right. This proves who has the crown and who has the tiara.

215Philly
01-30-2014, 04:37 PM
I still like Melo/Bron more

Trollsmasher
01-30-2014, 04:40 PM
:facepalm those idiots posting that stats pic that proves nothing expect for KD making insane shots
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/moeexyz/21972405/58194/58194_original.gif

Megabox!
01-30-2014, 04:41 PM

i got a feeling this is gonna be used next to that dirk vs bron chart :lol
Why? LBJ guarded KD a lot more than KD guarded him. It's not that big of a deal, everyone knows KD is a great scorer. LBJ still played great defense on him and vice versa

Mr. Jabbar
01-30-2014, 04:42 PM
KD making insane shots

this reminds me of the guy who just let go of the torch :rolleyes:

AirTupac
01-30-2014, 04:43 PM
this reminds me of the guy who just let go of the torch :rolleyes:

If your good with photoshop or if someone is, someone should put in a crown and tiara on that picture. :lol :lol :lol

Mr. Jabbar
01-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Why? LBJ guarded KD a lot more than KD guarded him. It's not that big of a deal, everyone knows KD is a great scorer. LBJ still played great defense on him and vice versa

durant was playing great defense on bran but some bogus calls put him on foul trouble and dfish (coach) decided to change defensive assignments

aj1987
01-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Jabbar is right. This proves who has the crown and who has the tiara.

So, Lebron scored 1.5 points per FGA when KD was guarding him and KD scored 1.35 points per FGA.

Mr. Jabbar
01-30-2014, 04:53 PM
does anyone have a link to dfish coaching durant on the sideline with the hand on his mouth so none could read his lips? it went for a long time, that was some veteran shit right there

cltcfn2924
01-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Miami is NOT gonna be this bad from the 3pt (3-20) line again and this horrid with the passing. Thunder went like 17-26 from the 3pt range.

You do realize KD is 42% from 3 this year?

NumberSix
01-30-2014, 05:23 PM
Fisher was aiming for the rim and hitting the backboard.

AnaheimLakers24
01-30-2014, 05:29 PM
okc vs indiana is pretty much confirmed now. wade is dirt and will get his shit pushed in by the young guys like lance.

knicksman
01-30-2014, 05:59 PM
its not a rivalry. If magic dominated bird then how much more if magic is replaced by jordan coz durant is mj like

knicksman
01-30-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm going by ESPN's calculations. They said KD guarded LeBron only 9 possessions while LeBron guarded KD 26 i think. They had the number of shots attempted and all that. You're the only person that has even addressed it though so maybe the LeBron fans are hiding? Hell maybe the KD fans are too. You're right though. I missed pretty much the whole game.

dude kd can easily stopped lebron but not otherwise so be happy that kd didnt guard lebron.

aj1987
01-30-2014, 07:07 PM
What does that have to do with the Thunder AS A TEAM making 60% of their 3's and Miami making only 15%?

http://i.imgur.com/jUGEq1V.png

Leftimage
01-30-2014, 08:43 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3156461/mitt-is-disgusted-o.gif

Lordsteven
01-30-2014, 08:53 PM
still doesnt feel like miami is giving their all, i admit lebron was more aggressive than he was in his usual games, but the heat arent gonna turn over the ball that many times in a series. nor is fisher and the rest of okc gonna be that streaky from behind the arc (with the exception of KD). we still have yet to see how westbrook's health is gonna be come playoff time. to say okc are favorites to beat miami in the finals only halfway into the season is absurd :rolleyes:

aj1987
01-30-2014, 08:56 PM
okc vs indiana is pretty much confirmed now. wade is dirt and will get his shit pushed in by the young guys like lance.
The same Lance that scored 12/6/5/1 and 13/9/2/1 against Miami?

Wade scored 17/6/6/3 and 32/3/1/3, BTW.

EDIT: NVM, you're the dude who thought that ballstreams.com is a porn site.