PDA

View Full Version : The GOAT coach Phil Jackson said: "Lakers paid Kobe more than I would have gone for"

Illuminati
01-31-2014, 12:00 AM
http://i.imgur.com/AVKO8SJ.png

[quote]@bill_oram
On NBA TV, Phil Jackson says he agreed with extending Kobe for two years but that the Lakers

Sharmer
01-31-2014, 12:01 AM
http://i.imgur.com/AVKO8SJ.png

Pretty much what everyone has been saying.

:lol nothings sounds better than the truth.

navy
01-31-2014, 12:01 AM
No shit. Kobe was a beast last year, put we have no idea how well he come back. Chances say he will suck.

RightToCensor
01-31-2014, 12:02 AM
Kobe is nothing without Phil Jackson.

JohnFreeman
01-31-2014, 12:05 AM
The GOAT has spoken

Smook A.
01-31-2014, 12:08 AM
The Zen master is 100% right

AnaheimLakers24
01-31-2014, 12:09 AM
phils coming home :bowdown:

moe94
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Kobe is nothing without Phil Jackson.
Like Jordan?

YouGotServed
01-31-2014, 12:11 AM
Phil just said what everyone else was already thinking. Kobe pretty much crippled the Lakers franchise. He's an egotistical douchebag. Go ahead and take your millions. :oldlol: The Lakers will be taking up the ass by every other team for the next few years.

TheMarkMadsen
01-31-2014, 12:14 AM
The GOAT has spoken

yes he has

Lakers coach Phil Jackson joined the show to discuss the upcoming playoffs.

-- Dan asked Jackson who he would want to start a team with. Jackson said that power players are really the key to the NBA. There are exceptions, like Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, but he would take Dwight Howard over James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Paul if he was starting a team right now.

anyways yes giving a 34-35 year old coming off a devastating injury a huge contract doesn't sound like a smart idea, however this is the Lakers & Kobe Bryant who have won 5 championships together 2000, so i'll wait and see, but I have faith that they know what they are doing and have a solid game plan moving forward.

Lakers home sell out streak ended this year, and i'm sure their sponsors were more than adamant that Kobe Bryant be a part of the roster until he leaves the NBA

ZeN
01-31-2014, 12:15 AM
Easy to say after seeing Kobe have a failed return due to a second injury.. Hindsight is 20/20..

Cold soul
01-31-2014, 12:31 AM
Phil is right.

outbreak
01-31-2014, 12:35 AM
the problem was signing him to this much before having him return, could have waited until the end of the year to sign him

Sharmer
01-31-2014, 12:44 AM
Believe in the Zen.

Illuminati
01-31-2014, 12:45 AM
yes he has

anyways yes giving a 34-35 year old coming off a devastating injury a huge contract doesn't sound like a smart idea, however this is the Lakers & Kobe Bryant who have won 5 championships together 2000, so i'll wait and see, but I have faith that they know what they are doing and have a solid game plan moving forward.

Lakers home sell out streak ended this year, and i'm sure their sponsors were more than adamant that Kobe Bryant be a part of the roster until he leaves the NBA

lol @ posting an article from what, 2009? :oldlol:

ZeN
01-31-2014, 12:46 AM
Believe in the Zen.
Yes, Thank You.

gts
01-31-2014, 12:49 AM
"They paid him more than I would have gone for, but what he's given to this organization, what he gives back, he brings a certain sense of, 'We're going to win!' " Jackson said during an interview that aired on NBA TV on Thursday. "You got to have a guy on the team that doesn't settle for second. That's one of the areas where the value of Kobe, even at this age, is terrific."

"You got to have a guy on the team that doesn't settle for second," Phil Jackson said of Kobe Bryant. "That's one of the areas where the value of Kobe, even at this age, is terrific."
Jackson, who teamed with Bryant in Los Angeles to win five of his record-setting 11 NBA championships, has confidence that the injured guard will return to form after he recovers from the fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee that will keep him out at least three more weeks.

"I think he'll be back," Jackson said. "I think Kobe is going to be still a scorer. He can score. We saw Michael Jordan at the end of his career still scoring 20 points a game and he was 37-38, I think. Maybe he was 38-39, I can't really remember. But I think Kobe can still post up. I think he can still be a good screen-roll player. He's going to hit shots. He can still shoot the 3-pointer. I think he's really realistic about it. He's really pleased. He felt like, you know, I will come back."

and

Coming into Thursday, Howard's Rockets were fifth in the Western Conference with a 31-17 record. Howard is averaging 18.1 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting 57.1 percent from the field.

"He's doing, I'd say, OK," said Jackson. "I think his game has gone backwards since he was in the '09 playoffs and championship playoffs that year. His post-up game has not developed and that's the one thing that I felt he can really advance himself with Kevin McHale as his coach and I just don't know if that's happened or not this year."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10379944/phil-jackson-says-kobe-bryant-come-back-scorer

Sharmer
01-31-2014, 12:50 AM
"They paid him more than I would have gone for, but what he's given to this organization, what he gives back, he brings a certain sense of, 'We're going to win!' " Jackson said during an interview that aired on NBA TV on Thursday. "You got to have a guy on the team that doesn't settle for second. That's one of the areas where the value of Kobe, even at this age, is terrific."

"You got to have a guy on the team that doesn't settle for second," Phil Jackson said of Kobe Bryant. "That's one of the areas where the value of Kobe, even at this age, is terrific."
Jackson, who teamed with Bryant in Los Angeles to win five of his record-setting 11 NBA championships, has confidence that the injured guard will return to form after he recovers from the fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in his left knee that will keep him out at least three more weeks.

"I think he'll be back," Jackson said. "I think Kobe is going to be still a scorer. He can score. We saw Michael Jordan at the end of his career still scoring 20 points a game and he was 37-38, I think. Maybe he was 38-39, I can't really remember. But I think Kobe can still post up. I think he can still be a good screen-roll player. He's going to hit shots. He can still shoot the 3-pointer. I think he's really realistic about it. He's really pleased. He felt like, you know, I will come back."

and

Coming into Thursday, Howard's Rockets were fifth in the Western Conference with a 31-17 record. Howard is averaging 18.1 points and 12.5 rebounds while shooting 57.1 percent from the field.

"He's doing, I'd say, OK," said Jackson. "I think his game has gone backwards since he was in the '09 playoffs and championship playoffs that year. His post-up game has not developed and that's the one thing that I felt he can really advance himself with Kevin McHale as his coach and I just don't know if that's happened or not this year."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10379944/phil-jackson-says-kobe-bryant-come-back-scorer

they paid him for TV audience.

gts
01-31-2014, 12:55 AM
:lol nothings sounds better than the truth.

Oh so when you only have a snippet of his quote you say "nothings(sic) sounds better than the truth"

But when you can read it in context of an entire interview you now ignore what he's actually saying :lol

troll

Prometheus
01-31-2014, 01:00 AM
Like Jordan?

moe don't take this the wrong way, you're one of my favorite posters on here, but I have two questions for you:

1 - Do you ever go out on a limb and assert your own opinion? It seems like all you do is try to point out where others are wrong.

and

2 - I'm not keeping count, but it seems about 9/10 of your avatars are chicks. Are you actually a girl?

Sharmer
01-31-2014, 01:02 AM
Oh so when you only have a snippet of his quote you say "nothings(sic) sounds better than the truth"

But when you can read it in context of an entire interview you now ignore what he's actually saying :lol

troll

stop it

:cry:

G-Funk
01-31-2014, 01:07 AM
even Lakers fans know this.

The Iron Fist
01-31-2014, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sharmer
nothings sounds better than the truth.

:facepalm

oh the horror
01-31-2014, 01:38 AM
stop it

:cry:

Can't answer with a rational response eh?

Don't go poopies in your parks tonight junior.

Anyway in regard to Kobe's pay.

I've said from day one they overpaid.

Inferno
01-31-2014, 01:41 AM
moe don't take this the wrong way, you're one of my favorite posters on here, but I have two questions for you:

1 - Do you ever go out on a limb and assert your own opinion? It seems like all you do is try to point out where others are wrong.

Moe definitely does do this :lol I like it though :applause:

sportjames23
01-31-2014, 01:49 AM
Like Jordan?

MJ was considered the GOAT before he won his first ring, so no Phil didn't make him. If anything, MJ made Phil. Phil had no impact in the NBA until he started winning rings with MJ.

gts
01-31-2014, 01:52 AM
MJ was considered the GOAT before he won his first ring, so no Phil didn't make him. If anything, MJ made Phil. Phil had no impact in the NBA until he started winning rings with MJ.
:facepalm

BigMacAttack
01-31-2014, 02:04 AM
The Lakers paying Kobe is them flexing imo, saying to other star players "if you do us right we'll look after you" ie Make us a shit ton of money and win us a few championships.

Anyway why are people acting like this is a knock on Kobe? he got paid. Was he supposed to knock back the Lakers offer lol gtfoh.

Sharmer
01-31-2014, 02:32 AM
Can't answer with a rational response eh?

Don't go poopies in your parks tonight junior.

Anyway in regard to Kobe's pay.

I've said from day one they overpaid.

Go find a grandfathers forum, that will suit your posting style. While you're there , get some advice on getting a new pair of diaper pants.

:lol

moe94
01-31-2014, 06:47 AM

and

2 - I'm not keeping count, but it seems about 9/10 of your avatars are chicks. Are you actually a girl?

I'm a transsexual argumentative fairy incapable of forming its own opinion.

I never really noticed that, though. I definitely don't do it on purpose.

SexSymbol
01-31-2014, 08:20 AM
Lakers are not paying him his money at the moment, insurance is, so basically lakers are collecting everything from Kobe's marketing, and paying nothing in return at the moment.

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 09:05 AM

and

Your avatar is a pedo..... Juss sayin.

Real Men Wear Green
01-31-2014, 09:28 AM
Lakers are not paying him his money at the moment, insurance is, so basically lakers are collecting everything from Kobe's marketing, and paying nothing in return at the moment.
Insurance doesn't kick in until he misses 41 games. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1966345) Which wouldn't be a happy milestone anyway. After that it covers 80% of his salary for the additional missed games, not the whole salary and no part of whatever luxury tax must be paid. So if he misses the rest of the season they get back 10 mil (yay?). They may be making a net profit off of his presence this year but it's already hard to figure out the profit made off of a guy that plays, it's even harder to calculate the value of a guy sitting courtside in a suit and doing interviews.

Bandito
01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
Phil just said what everyone else was already thinking. Kobe pretty much crippled the Lakers franchise. He's an egotistical douchebag. Go ahead and take your millions. :oldlol: The Lakers will be taking up the ass by every other team for the next few years.
He didnt ask for it, they offered it to him and he said yes. You are just hating because you are mad you arent getting that money.

Quickening
01-31-2014, 10:48 AM
He wasn't worth his contract based on the form before jos injury. He was a turnstile on defence, and killed ball movement offensively. He hasn't been worth a max deal since 2010

Y2ktors
01-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Jim Buss is ruining that franchise. It's plain as day

gts
01-31-2014, 12:10 PM
Go find a grandfathers forum, that will suit your posting style. While you're there , get some advice on getting a new pair of diaper pants.

:lol Banned.. Who's looking for another forum now?

BlackVVaves
01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

:lol

That was one of the worst "comebacks" I've ever read on ISH.

What is comical is your inability to provide a rational answer as to why the tone of your criticism changed once you discovered Phil was as complementary as he was critical of Kobe's contract.

You sound like a misguided 14 year old, take a seat for a second.

As for the Lakers and their currently incompetent front office, they'll regret their stupidity when the opportunity arises for them to sign more than one superstar, and their unable to because a 37 year old is occupying 1/3 of their cap.

dazzer87
01-31-2014, 03:34 PM
The Zen master is 100% right
You dont need no "zen master" to be right. Anyone with half a brain wouldve waited till the end of the season to give him that money. I bet Kome started bitching about his $$$$$ to the FO....and they gave in.

Megabox!
01-31-2014, 03:41 PM
:roll:

longtime lurker
01-31-2014, 05:41 PM
God damn Sharmer just abused in this thread :oldlol:

Fallen Angel
01-31-2014, 06:07 PM

Not sure if trolling but there's some truth to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5sHdmQahNk

@ 3:02

This was after MJ had won his 1st ring, but still. MJ gets called the greatest of all time.

3peated
01-31-2014, 06:08 PM
phil gonna go get another 3 peat in houston

Cold soul
01-31-2014, 06:18 PM
Why do so many people have the words banned under there usernames. It must be the newest cool thing here.:facepalm

Prometheus
01-31-2014, 06:50 PM
Your avatar is a pedo..... Juss sayin.

that's just speculation, and it was common in Florence at the time anyway. sill better than gwb

I wasn't criticizing moe anyway, just curious after noticing