PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Season Evaluation... Will MIA 3peat This Year?

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm picking.... Yes.

Inferno
01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
As of now, no.

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 02:15 PM
As of now, no.
The finals isnt "as of now".

Inferno
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM

Yeah, but if they play like they are right now, then they won't win.

AnaheimLakers24
01-31-2014, 02:16 PM
no despite being stacked

SexSymbol
01-31-2014, 02:17 PM
I love Indiana's game, and I think they will be in the finals. Will they win? Who knows...

goldenryan
01-31-2014, 02:18 PM
http://img.pandawhale.com/32707-Hell-no-gif-e2AG.jpeg

Mr Exlax
01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
I anticipate that they will round into form come playoff time, but they will still lose to the Pacers this year.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2014, 02:19 PM
Mid-Season Evaluation

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/0f/0fa594f2432fc687c3de5ac030374d2a7bf0b8ce8aaf76ff7c 8b2f75a94f51fb.jpg

Demitri98
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Not the way they're playing right now. But everyone knows they will turn it up in the playoffs and there's also the LeBron James factor. I think people forget how good he is in the middle of the season and don't realize how dominant he is when he turns it on. It depends on 2 things: Wade and Oden being healthy. If Wade can drop 20 ppg and Oden can give 10-15 minutes of D on Hibbert, there's no way the Pacers win.

Illuminati
01-31-2014, 02:20 PM
Yes.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2014, 02:23 PM
its funny, great teams will always turn it on in the playoffs, until one day, surprise, they dont. happened to the 3-peat lakers, to 2-peat lakers, happens always, i bet this is that year for the cheat

Le Shaqtus
01-31-2014, 02:27 PM

So you just contradicted the point of this thread.

Dr Hawk
01-31-2014, 02:30 PM
The Heat won't threepeat. This is the year they will fall to the Pacers' defence.

Trollsmasher
01-31-2014, 02:30 PM
Yes, but they are complete underdogs

aj1987
01-31-2014, 02:46 PM
No one outside of the Pacers will even pose a challenge to the Heat. The Pacers are still horrid offensively. If Paul and West are shut down offensively, they will get hammered. Even though they're elite defensively, they still horrid offensively.

If Miami makes the Finals (and they will), no one's stopping them from the West.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-31-2014, 02:47 PM
Mid-Season Evaluation...

That's....convenient.

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 02:55 PM
its funny, great teams will always turn it on in the playoffs, until one day, surprise, they dont. happened to the 3-peat lakers, to 2-peat lakers, happens always, i bet this is that year for the cheat
Not to the six peat Bulls. Only thing that stopped them was depression, and a stingy / egotistical general manager. Too much heart, will, and mental toughness on that squad. The other teams: Shaq Lakers, Kobe Lakers, LeBron Heat? Not so much.

secund2nun
01-31-2014, 02:57 PM
I pick yes, but it is certainly no lock. If Pat can get his head of out his ass and sign another center I will feel much more confident. No more small aka sissy ball in Miami.

Nikola_
01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
if i'm heat fan i would have no worries.. pacers offense is still terrible, they turn the ball a lot , and there is no way okc beat heat..they will be focused defensively and brooks will be exposed once again

All Net
01-31-2014, 02:58 PM
right now? no I can't see it.

I think Pacers and OKC would beat them. but it's only january.

Professor Griff
01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Hard to say right now. This is usually the time of year that Lebron goes on a tear and the Heat start to pull things together. It is easy to get trapped in the moment and say no because the Heat have looked off their game lately but it happens every season. But gut feeling? I think Indiana wins the East.

JerryWest
01-31-2014, 03:00 PM
The pacers will beat miami in 4 or 5 games, with ease.

secund2nun
01-31-2014, 03:00 PM
Not to the six peat Bulls. Only thing that stopped them was depression, and a stingy / egotistical general manager. Too much heart, will, and mental toughness on that squad. The other teams: Shaq Lakers, Kobe Lakers, LeBron Heat? Not so much.

*Kobe/Gasol Lakers

As for the rest of your post, Miami has gone back to back and could 3 peat. If Miami had just an average center rotation the team would be unstoppable. Oden is good for only 10-15 mins a game. 20 mins in the ECF if Miami is lucky. One more center signing is the missing piece. Even the Bulls had average centers. It's extremely hard to win with the massive holes in post defense and rebounding created by a terrible center rotation.

JerryWest
01-31-2014, 03:05 PM
*Kobe/Gasol Lakers

As for the rest of your post, Miami has gone back to back and could 3 peat. If Miami had just an average center rotation the team would be unstoppable. Oden is good for only 10-15 mins a game. 20 mins in the ECF if Miami is lucky. One more center signing is the missing piece. Even the Bulls had average centers. It's extremely hard to win with the massive holes in post defense and rebounding created by a terrible center rotation.
It's not centers that's miami's problem, they have horrible offensive schemes and one of the most inconsistent defenses ever. They have a injury prone Dwyane wade and Bosh is a hit and miss in the playoffs :facepalm Not to mention Lechoke is still a horrible shooter :roll:

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 03:08 PM
The Bulls did not 6-peat.

All Net
01-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Wade

HoopsFanNumero1
01-31-2014, 03:10 PM
The Bulls did not 6-peat.

In his mind they did, and that's all that matters.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2014, 03:14 PM
This raises the question, which is the biggest factor than ends up dynasties?

1- Competition figures them out?
2- Lost hunger for titles?
3- Chemistry within players?
4- Age?
5- The better team just appears?

secund2nun
01-31-2014, 03:15 PM
It's not centers that's miami's problem, they have horrible offensive schemes and one of the most inconsistent defenses ever. They have a injury prone Dwyane wade and Bosh is a hit and miss in the playoffs :facepalm Not to mention Lechoke is still a horrible shooter :roll:

Miami has a good offense though it would be aided by a center.

Miami's problems are that they are one of the worst rebounding teams in the NBA (caused by no center) and the defensive problem is because of having no center. Because Miami has no center they rely on packing the paint with many defenders and then recovering to the outside when the ball is passed outside to the perimeter by the opposing team, which good ball movement can exploit and create tons of open looks from downtown against Miami. This is why it appears that random scrubs go off on Miami from downtown like Green in the 2013 finals, but it's not random. It's caused by a stupid defensive scheme that has no center.

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 03:17 PM

4- Age?
# 1 is fatigue / mental toughness

Crafty
01-31-2014, 03:18 PM

4- Age?

I think right now n1, 4 and 5 are the most evident on this Heat team.

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 03:19 PM
# 1 is fatigue / mental toughness
Actually, #1 is probably health/injuries.

Mr. Jabbar
01-31-2014, 03:22 PM

well that comes with age most often than not

mistergreens
01-31-2014, 03:24 PM
If you've watched the way they've played until no, you have to absolutely say no. However, we all know the Heat have another gear. I think when it's all said and done, they turn it on one last time and three peat before the roster undergoes substantial changes next year

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 03:25 PM
No because that's a variable every season. Pippen was injured pretty bad from 1st round of the '97 playoffs going forward, in some ways became a shell of what he was continuing to get worse and it didn't stop the Bulls led by mid 30s Jordan from winning two more championships via his will power.
Sports fans are so goddamn stupid. :facepalm

fpliii
01-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Yes.

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 03:27 PM
Sports fans are so goddamn stupid. :facepalm
Nope, that's literally what happened. I know you weren't old enough to be watching at that time. It's ok, let the resentment go. The Heat won't stack up to that.

Illuminati
01-31-2014, 03:27 PM
What other teams have gone to 4 straight Finals? If Miami accomplishes this, pretty sure it hasn't been done since the late 80's.

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 03:28 PM
Nope, that's literally what happened. I know you weren't old enough to be watching at that time. It's ok, let the resentment go. The Heat won't stack up to that.
I was born in 1983... You?:confusedshrug:

Solefade
01-31-2014, 03:31 PM

It's been this for the past two championship runs and now this year.

imagine how much easier (not that it was easy at all) the Heat would have had their two championships if Wade was healthy..

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 03:35 PM
I was born in 1983... You?:confusedshrug:
You're saying the Bulls didn't win because of MJ's will power? Finals Game 6 - Flu Game? Game 7 v.s. Pacers, all those offensive rebounds? Finals Game 6 - 45 points, no Pippen?

Describe to me why the Bulls won that 2nd three peat. What was the MAJOR reason. I'll wait.

I'll give you a hint, it wasn't some brink of elimination saving three pointer from Kukoc, Kerr, or Jud Bucheler.

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 03:38 PM
You're saying the Bulls didn't win because of MJ's will power?
Yes.

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 03:40 PM
Yes.
Not the sole reason in a team sport, obviously. But give me the major reason why that team was able to go from second round knock outs, to once again being a 3x time champion. Please, do explain.

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 03:41 PM
Not the sole reason in a team sport, obviously. But give me the major reason why that team was able to go from second round knock outs, to once again being a 3x time champion. Please, do explain.
So, what happened before 1991? Jordan didn't have enough will power, but then he got a sudden surge of will power?

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 03:47 PM
So, what happened before 1991? Jordan didn't have enough will power, but then he got a sudden surge of will power?
No, his next best player and supporting cast finally developed enough mental toughness to stand strong in the face of adversity along with him.

Obviously coaxed into this for years of rapport in practice of MJ weeding teammates out, and imprinting his DNA on the likes of Pippen. But also MJ, was urged by a very good coach to trust in his teammates. They then got over the hump, and their fears v.s. the Pistons to become unstoppable champions.

The '91 Bulls faced adversity together, overcame, and were never stopped again. It wasn't like they cowardly broke apart because of consecutive failures to get by the Pistons and had multiple MVP caliber players join up to easily route over competition.

ArbitraryWater
01-31-2014, 04:23 PM

I respect you as poster but lolled pretty hard at "will power" :lol

The flu thing does resemble that a bit though

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 04:26 PM
I respect you as poster but lolled pretty hard at "will power" :lol

The flu thing does resemble that a bit though
And game 7 v.s. Indiana in '98

And game 6 v.s. Utah in '98

Suguru101
01-31-2014, 04:27 PM
No, his next best player and supporting cast finally developed enough mental toughness to stand strong in the face of adversity along with him.

Obviously coaxed into this for years of rapport in practice of MJ weeding teammates out, and imprinting his DNA on the likes of Pippen. But also MJ, was urged by a very good coach to trust in his teammates. They then got over the hump, and their fears v.s. the Pistons to become unstoppable champions.

The '91 Bulls faced adversity together, overcame, and were never stopped again. It wasn't like they cowardly broke apart because of consecutive failures to get by the Pistons and had multiple MVP caliber players join up to easily route over competition.

Give 2009 LeBron a frontcourt equally as good as Horace Grant/Cartwrigh(let's cut it to Ibaka/Gortat), a SG on the level of Scottie Pippen(Paul George), a Phil Jackson level coach(Popovich) and see if he has to leave.

Jordan had amazing help, they didn't win sooner because he had an "i can do everything" complex and not because Pippen couldn't go through "adversity".

LeGOAT
01-31-2014, 04:28 PM
They will and ISH will be extra mad about it this year

MellowYellow
01-31-2014, 04:28 PM
If you are evaluating them based on how they have played so far this season then there is no way they are going to win the ship, the only thing holding them up right now is reputation. Everyone is just assuming they will turn it on in the playoffs and im sure they will, but I don't think it's gonna be enough this year.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-31-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm confused. Have any of you nerds ever played a competitive sport? How do you NOT know what "will power" is and think it's laughable or something? :confusedshrug:

Suguru101
01-31-2014, 04:32 PM
It's tiresome to repeat the same thing, but everything does depend on Wade's health:

20-24 ppg and all-around play? Miami will win it.

16-18 ppg and lack of defensive intensity due to injury? Tough. Only can win if LeBron goes on a 30+ ppg/10+ rpg run and Bosh can play at the level he is playing now.

Solefade
01-31-2014, 04:33 PM
2009 LeBron did have a front court that good. Probably better. LeBron's Cavs in 2009, and 2010 were talented enough to win.

LeBron had issues he had to overcome. As evident by him having superior talent in 2011, and still coming up short.

I said MJ's talent around him got better. But that's not the major reason they won. Pippen always had talent, Chicago should've beaten Detroit by 1990. They had to make the leap in mental toughness, and MJ had to trust his teammates.

Verejao and Illgauskas/Gooden? lol dude, these guys weren't diamonds in the rough, they were straight dirt not even coal.

I agree with you on most things but not here, you're basically saying Mo Williams = Scottie Pippen and Mike Brown = Phil Jackson. And it's really not fair to use his 2011 chokejob to discredit what he did on those 2007-2010 Cleveland squads

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Give 2009 LeBron a frontcourt equally as good as Horace Grant/Cartwrigh(let's cut it to Ibaka/Gortat)
2009 LeBron did have a front court that good. Probably better. LeBron's Cavs in 2009, and 2010 were talented enough to win.

LeBron had issues he had to overcome on a personal level, and he had to improve his game. As evident by him having superior talent in 2011, and still coming up short.

I said MJ's talent around him got better. But that's not the major reason they won, specifically that 2nd three peat.

Pippen always had talent, Chicago should've beaten Detroit by 1990. They had to make the leap in mental toughness, and MJ had to trust his teammates.

Verejao and Illgauskas/Gooden? lol dude.
You serious?

Yes, I know you're on Bron's sack. But the combo of those guys was better than Grant, and old ass Cartwright. They were the best defending, rebounding team in the league for a reason. Don't act otherwise.

And no I didn't say Mo Williams = Scottie Pippen, or Mike Brown = PJ. The Cavs lost in 2009 because of the Mo Williams thing, but they lost in 2010 because of LeBron.

Bulls didn't lose prior to their championship reign BECAUSE of Jordan, at any point.

All Net
01-31-2014, 04:35 PM
If you are evaluating them based on how they have played so far this season then there is no way they are going to win the ship, the only thing holding them up right now is reputation. Everyone is just assuming they will turn it on in the playoffs and im sure they will, but I don't think it's gonna be enough this year.

Well after winning back to back titles I thought we were coasting too...

DaOldLion
01-31-2014, 04:39 PM
I'm confused. Have any of you nerds ever played a competitive sport? How do you NOT know what "will power" is and think it's laughable or something? :confusedshrug:

it doesn't show up in a box score so to them it's invalid :confusedshrug:

SamuraiSWISH
01-31-2014, 04:40 PM
it doesn't show up in a box score so to them it's invalid :confusedshrug:
To them garbage time points equal meaningful buckets too. They're former baseball fans.

juju151111
01-31-2014, 04:45 PM
Give 2009 LeBron a frontcourt equally as good as Horace Grant/Cartwrigh(let's cut it to Ibaka/Gortat), a SG on the level of Scottie Pippen(Paul George), a Phil Jackson level coach(Popovich) and see if he has to leave.

Jordan had amazing help, they didn't win sooner because he had an "i can do everything" complex and not because Pippen couldn't go through "adversity".
No he didn't. Mike was playing the same way in 90 has in 91. Pippenband his whole team forgot I was game 7 and didn't come to play in the ecf.

Suguru101
01-31-2014, 04:46 PM

LeBron had issues he had to overcome on a personal level, and he had to improve his game. As evidenced by him having superior talent in 2011, and still coming up short.

I said MJ's talent around him got better. But that's not the major reason they won, specifically that 2nd three peat.

Pippen always had talent, Chicago should've beaten Detroit by 1990. They had to make the leap in mental toughness, and MJ had to trust his teammates.

You serious?

Yes, I know you're on Bron's sack. But the combo of those guys was better than Grant, and old ass Cartwright. They were the best defending, rebounding team in the league for a reason. Don't act otherwise.

And no I didn't say Mo Williams = Scottie Pippen, or Mike Brown = PJ. The Cavs lost in 2009 because of the Mo Williams thing, but they lost in 2010 because of LeBron.

Bulls didn't lose prior to their championship reign BECAUSE of Jordan, at any point.

I agree with you about LeBron having to become a better player as evidenced by the 2011 Finals, LeBron didn't have a post game/3-point shot/consistent mid-range.

But you called him a coward for leaving to Miami. Thing is, 2009 LeBron averaged 38-8-8 in the ECF with homecourt, yet lost in 6 because he didn't have the talent around him. So while it wasn't handled correctly, don't act like LeBron should have stayed and waited patiently until they drafted a Paul George-level player and got a great offensive coach.

And that frontcourt seems the equal of the Bull's frontcourt, but Horace Grant was more than a supporting player, he was a very good PF, something Varejao and 30+ Z weren't.

Bigsmoke
01-31-2014, 04:51 PM
if beasley and oden just start beasting out of no where.

Wade aint flash no more. he show flashes.

GOATbe
01-31-2014, 04:56 PM
No. Bron better hope Heat dont somehow get past Indiana or else KDs gonna embarrass him like the other day. OKC in 4-5

Stern is gone.

aj1987
01-31-2014, 04:59 PM
No. Bron better hope Heat dont somehow get past Indiana or else KDs gonna embarrass him like the other day. OKC in 4-5

Stern is gone.
:roll: :roll:

NumberSix
01-31-2014, 05:04 PM
Every single person who is now claiming Miami won't even make the finals will claim Miami were the favorites all along after they win the title.

riseagainst
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Every single person who is now claiming Miami won't even make the finals will claim Miami were the favorites all along after they win the title.

:lol

so true. I'm claiming Miami will 3peat.

Illuminati
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM

Stern is gone.

GOATbe
Young KD >>Peak LeBald

:oldlol: Basically sums rip (aka the bandwagoner) up.

All Net
01-31-2014, 05:09 PM

They are back to back champions...THEY ARE FAVOURITES till proven otherwise. Doesn't mean people can't think they will lose.

Suguru101
01-31-2014, 05:12 PM

In order:

KD on pace for GOAT! Going to expose the faka king. :lol

These friggin refs, seems like Stern taught Silver well. :facepalm

Westbrook has the lowest IQ of any Finals PG ever! Give Durant the damn ball. :rant

We would be winning too if our players were hitting 3's like it was practice. :rolleyes:

Miami so fckn stacked. Beasly and Oden make it a Big 5. LeBron rings look like asterisks. :no:

Durant needs to go to Houston, he can't waste his prime surrounded by players like Perkins and Sefolosha(played a combined 68 minutes in the Finals).

longtime lurker
01-31-2014, 05:39 PM
Miami is too stacked not to win. If they lose it will be a fail of epic proportions.

riseagainst
01-31-2014, 05:42 PM
so I was just playing NBA 2k14's Lebron: Path to Greatness. I did the Heat Dynasty Path.

The first game is game 6 in the finals vs Houston. I set an NBA finals record as Lebron with 65 points on 30 shots, 12 rebounds, and 15 assists, and (13 turnovers):lol

GOAT.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

JT123
01-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Actually that isn't what happened. Everyone wants to say Lebron got lucky with the Spurs missing free throws, but Jordan got lucky with this as well. Malone missed 2 free throws at the end of game 1 of the 97 finals that could have at least sent the game into overtime, and if the Jazz win in overtime who knows how that series plays out. In game 7 of the 98 ECF Jordan had a horrible shooting game and was carried to victory by a barrage of Toni Kukoc 3 pointers in the second half. Point being EVERY superstar gets bailed out by teammates and luck at one point or another during a championship run, MJ included.

crisoner
01-31-2014, 05:56 PM
I still got them with a three-peat.

Just have a feeling they are coasting at the moment.

MellowYellow
01-31-2014, 06:03 PM

Ok, we will own up to it. But at the same time if they don't make it then you can't start making up bs excuses trying to rationalize it.

Solefade
01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
Miami is too stacked not to win. If they lose it will be a fail of epic proportions.

damn its 2014 and ppl still saying the same shit from 2011?

JT123
01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
And game 7 v.s. Indiana in '98

And game 6 v.s. Utah in '98
Go watch that game 7 again and tell me with a straight face that Jordan didn't get bailed out by Kukoc. :coleman:
As for the game 6 against Utah, he is just lucky the refs swallowed their whistles and didn't call him for that blatant push off on Russel. :facepalm
There were also a few other bad calls in that game that benefited the Bulls, ie Howard Eisley 3 pointer waived off that should have counted, and a Ron Harper floater at the end of the shot clock that should not have counted. Luck plays a big role in every Championship, including the ones that Jordan lead to Bulls to.

JT123
01-31-2014, 06:07 PM
damn its 2014 and ppl still saying the same shit from 2011?
Right! :lol They seriously need to come up with some original material.

DaOldLion
01-31-2014, 06:11 PM
Any team coming off b2b championships are still the favorites until they lose 4 games in the playoffs.. FACT

just because they look a little slow in the regular season and people are getting excited about in the hopes that they get dethroned takes absolutely nothing away from the fact that there are 3 all stars on a team that has been to the last 3 finals, with 2/3 of those players still in their primes, which means they shouldn't be bet against.

when this team is healthy they are by far the most talented team from top to bottom with an incredible amount of depth (Allen, Beasley, Oden, Birdman, Lewis, Cole all coming off the bench) to go along with Bosh (who's having a great season), Wade (who looks great when healthy and is taking extra precautions in the regular season to ensure he's healthy & ready to go in the playoffs) and the reigning MVP/FMVP Lebron James.

I wouldn't bet against the HEAT, I don't know if there is a team that can honestly beat them in a 7 game series when it comes down to it, IND, IMO will continue to struggle against the HEAT with too many turnovers, and not enough shooting (although Granger may end up being the difference maker) so it's hard to tell...

tl;dr the 2x defending champs are the favorites until they lose 4 games in the playoffs

J Shuttlesworth
01-31-2014, 06:15 PM
From what I've seen from them, maybe. Everyone says LeBron is coasting... I don't think this is necessarily true. I think THE HEAT are coasting, which is having some effect on LeBron as well (especially defensively). I'm sure that Wade is resting to keep his knees fresh for the playoffs. However, I think coasting as a team might hurt them in the end. Maybe they never pick up their rhythm when Wade rests every other game.

inclinerator
01-31-2014, 06:18 PM
depends if lebron will step it up or play average

All Net
01-31-2014, 06:28 PM
I think for them to win obviously wade needs to step up but Lebron may need to play huge as in 30PPG average to beat Indy/OKC...as I can see Wade and Bosh disappearing again. Guess if Oden gives them something and Beasley could be their playoff surprise x-factor.

Solefade
01-31-2014, 06:29 PM
depends if lebron will step it up or play average

this. Miami can't be ****ing favorites if lebron has average like 35ppg 10rpg and 8 agp for them to win or if there's like 6 players on Miami with double digits in that game...it only applies if they actually continued to look like the best team THIS season which they're clearly not.

it's so retarded that people don't use the same standards for miami that they would with other teams, people don't even realize their own biases.