PDA

View Full Version : D & Toughness in NBA vs D & Toughness in Euroleague

cos88
01-31-2014, 04:57 PM
i'm from Europe, i watch euroleague at max once a month and nba every day. don't want to be a stupid thread or a troll thread and i will report i just want opinions :no:

buddha
01-31-2014, 05:00 PM
why don't you tell us? most of us are americans who have never seen a euroleague game.

oarabbus
01-31-2014, 05:05 PM
why don't you tell us? most of us are americans who have never seen a euroleague game.

this

Euroleague
01-31-2014, 06:40 PM
i'm from Europe, i watch euroleague at max once a month and nba every day. don't want to be a stupid thread or a troll thread and i will report i just want opinions :no:

You might want to watch Euroleague a little more then, if you really want to start threads like this and say you want them to be serious.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-31-2014, 06:47 PM
I watch many teams (Fenerbahce, Maccabi, FC Barcelona, CSKA Moscow, Panathinaikos, Olympiacos), and I can say with certainty the NBA is tougher and the defense is MUCH, MUCH better (the flops you see in todays NBA, more frequently in Euroleague, are because of the influx of European players who came to the league in the late 90s).

I'll say this though. The guards over there are much tougher than the bigs, who resemble Pau Gasol post 2011 level "soft". :oldlol:

Le Shaqtus
01-31-2014, 06:56 PM
You might want to watch Euroleague a little more then, if you really want to start threads like this and say you want them to be serious.

Who on this forum is gonna take you seriously? :roll:

duskovujosevic
01-31-2014, 06:56 PM
defensive sets in EL are crazy, every team knows at least 4 zone plays + combined zones, not to mention handcheck, refs allow contact in air on lay-up plays, court is smaller. D in EL is tougher.

Euroleague
01-31-2014, 06:57 PM
I watch many teams (Fenerbahce, Maccabi, FC Barcelona, CSKA Moscow, Panathinaikos, Olympiacos), and I can say with certainty the NBA is tougher and the defense is MUCH, MUCH better (the flops you see in todays NBA, more frequently in Euroleague, are because of the influx of European players who came to the league in the late 90s).

I'll say this though. The guards over there are much tougher than the bigs, who resemble Pau Gasol post 2011 level "soft". :oldlol:

In another thread here --->

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324136&page=5

You claimed that Antetokounmpo would be the best player in Europe.

Your opinion therefore = automatically null and voided.

You have never seen a Euroleague game ever. Nice trolling attempt though.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
01-31-2014, 07:11 PM
You have never seen a Euroleague game ever. Nice trolling attempt though.

The games are broadcasted all over the internet. I'm a member of sports-scene and their FULL games are posted there all the time. Not sure what you're talking about :confusedshrug:

You claimed that Antetokounmpo would be the best player in Europe.

And? Nobody would be able to stop Giannis in EL. Seriously. He'd be the best player RIGHT NOW...easily.

Euroleague
01-31-2014, 07:19 PM
The games are broadcasted all over the internet. I'm a member of sports-scene and their FULL games are posted there all the time. Not sure what you're talking about :confusedshrug:

And? Nobody would be able to stop Giannis in EL. Seriously. He'd be the best player RIGHT NOW...easily.

:facepalm :rolleyes: :biggums:

Ignore list.

TonyMontana
01-31-2014, 07:37 PM
I made a thread on this earlier this week.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323848

See my posts in there for reasoning. The Euroleague requires a tougher mindset not just physically, but mentally as well. The NBA might have the most mentally weak professional athletes of any sport. These individuals are used to being catered to their entire life.

Nikola_
01-31-2014, 07:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fa/Marc_Gasol.JPG/220px-Marc_Gasol.JPG

Euroleague
01-31-2014, 07:48 PM
FIBA (Euroleague is played mainly under FIBA rules) just held a vote in their rules committee on whether or not to add the defensive 3 seconds rule.........it was rejected.

That pretty much sums it up right there.

hangintheair
01-31-2014, 09:48 PM
How can these be a serious thread when you have euroleague the poster posting shit and just keep complaining and complaining.. blah blah blah.. then saying putting on ignore list but still keeps answering with non sense shit.

Euroleague
01-31-2014, 10:11 PM
How can these be a serious thread when you have euroleague the poster posting shit and just keep complaining and complaining.. blah blah blah.. then saying putting on ignore list but still keeps answering with non sense shit.

How can it be a serious thread when a troll is claiming that a 19 year old kid that was playing in Greece's D-League as a role player and was the 4th or 5th best player on Greece's JUNIOR national team over the summer.......

and that FAILED to even make the practice squad, not the actual men's team, but just the PRACTICE team for the men's senior Greek team would be the "best player in Europe".

You have a clown troll claiming that in this thread, and you choose to call me out for trolling, because I told him to stop trolling?

Real nice.

So is it your personal trolling schtick to troll, and then plead for other non troll posters to be punished by naming them as "trolls", even though they are not actually trolls, simply because they outed other trolls?

GROW UP.

hangintheair
01-31-2014, 10:18 PM
How can it be a serious thread when a troll is claiming that a 19 year old kid that was playing in Greece's D-League as a role player and was the 4th or 5th best player on Greece's JUNIOR national team over the summer.......

and that FAILED to even make the practice squad, not the actual men's team, but just the PRACTICE team for the men's senior Greek team would be the "best player in Europe".

You have a clown troll claiming that in this thread, and you choose to call me out for trolling, because I told him to stop trolling?

Real nice.

So is it your personal trolling schtick to troll, and then plead for other non troll posters to be punished by naming them as "trolls", even though they are not actually trolls, simply because they outed other trolls?

GROW UP.

Did not read

blah blah blah

Euroleague
01-31-2014, 10:20 PM
Did not read

blah blah blah

Says they guy claiming he's not a troll.

Tell me about how that 19 year old role player from Greece's equivalent of the D League and Greece's junior national team.............

tell me about how he's "the best player from Europe"..........

I can't wait to see this "serious basketball discussion" from you, since you know, you "are not a troll".

This is what kuniva is claiming after all, and this is what you are agreeing with, and you are saying I am trolling, simply because I disagreed with what he said. In fact, you basically implied I should be kicked out of the thread for even having the audacity for questioning what he said, because it was such "serious basketball discussion", and I was clearly messing it up by "trolling".

So go ahead then, explain it. Bring this "serious basketball discussion" and explain away how this can be true.

Boarder Patrol
01-31-2014, 10:51 PM
Says they guy claiming he's not a troll.

Tell me about how that 19 year old role player from Greece's equivalent of the D League and Greece's junior national team.............

tell me about how he's "the best player from Europe"..........

I can't wait to see this "serious basketball discussion" from you, since you know, you "are not a troll".

This is what kuniva is claiming after all, and this is what you are agreeing with, and you are saying I am trolling, simply because I disagreed with what he said. In fact, you basically implied I should be kicked out of the thread for even having the audacity for questioning what he said, because it was such "serious basketball discussion", and I was clearly messing it up by "trolling".

So go ahead then, explain it. Bring this "serious basketball discussion" and explain away how this can be true.

Ok, have a serious question since the topic has slightly shifted to the Greek basketball scene: What do you consider Greece's 3 biggest basketball accomplishments since 2000?

As far as on topic, I go with the consensus that defense, shooting, athleticism and toughness are superior in the NBA while passing is superior in the Euroleague.

fpliii
01-31-2014, 10:54 PM
Euroleague - I started a thread on RealGM about the best players not in the NBA in a given season. Here's the list we've got so far:

1946-47 - Bob Kurland or George Mikan
1947-48 - Bob Kurland or George Mikan
1948-49 - Alex Groza or Bob Kurland
1949-50 - Bob Kurland
1950-51 - Bob Kurland
1951-52 - Alex Groza or Bob Kurland
1952-53 - Armenak Alachachan or Alex Groza
1953-54 - Armenak Alachachan or Alex Groza
1954-55 - Armenak Alachachan or Janis Krumins or Bill Russell
1955-56 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins or Bill Russell
1956-57 - Armenak Alachachan or Wilt Chamberlain or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins
1957-58 - Armenak Alachachan or Wilt Chamberlain or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins or Oscar Robertson
1958-59 - Armenak Alachachan or Wilt Chamberlain or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins or Oscar Robertson
1959-60 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins or Oscar Robertson
1960-61 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Janis Krumins
1961-62 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Janis Krumins or Earl Manigault
1962-63 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Janis Krumins or Earl Manigault
1963-64 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1964-65 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1965-66 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1966-67 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1967-68 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1968-69 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Ivo Daneu or Sergey Belov or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1969-70 - Miles Aiken or Sergey Belov or Ivo Daneu or Mel Daniels or Spencer Haywood or Earl Manigault
1970-71 - Zelmo Beaty or Sergey Belov or Mel Daniels or Earl Manigault
1971-72 - Sergey Belov or Julius Erving or Artis Gilmore or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse or Bill Walton
1972-73 - Sergey Belov or Julius Erving or Artis Gilmore or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse or Bill Walton
1973-74 - Julius Erving or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse or Bill Walton
1974-75 - Julius Erving or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse
1975-76 - Drazen Dalipagic or Julius Erving or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse
1976-77 - Larry Bird or Drazen Dalipagic or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse
1977-78 - Larry Bird or Kresmir Cosic or Drazen Dalipagic or Mirza Delibasic or Bob Morse
1978-79 - Larry Bird or Drazen Dalipagic or Mirza Delibasic or Fernando Martin or Bob Morse or Vladimir Thachenko
1979-80 - Kresmir Cosic or Drazen Dalipagic or Mirza Delibasic or Fernando Martin or Bob Morse
1980-81 - Mirza Delibasic or Fernando Martin or Ralph Sampson or Gus Williams
1981-82 - Mirza Delibasic or Fernando Martin or Ralph Sampson
1982-83 - Fernando Martin or Dino Meneghin or Ralph Sampson
1983-84 - Michael Jordan or Fernando Martin or Arvydas Sabonis or Oscar Schmidt
1984-85 - Fernando Martin or Drazen Petrovic or Arvydas Sabonis or Oscar Schmidt
1985-86 - Nikos Galis or Fernando Martin or Drazen Petrovic or Oscar Schmidt
1986-87 - Nikos Galis or Drazen Petrovic or David Robinson or Oscar Schmidt
1987-88 - Nikos Galis or Fernando Martin or David Robinson or Arvydas Sabonis or Oscar Schmidt
1988-89 - Nikos Galis or Fernando Martin or Drazen Petrovic or Oscar Schmidt
1989-90 - Nikos Galis or Toni Kukoc or Oscar Schmidt
1990-91 - Nikos Galis or Toni Kukoc or Shaquille O'Neal or Oscar Schmidt
1991-92 - Toni Kukoc or Magic Johnson or Shaquille O'Neal or Oscar Schmidt
1992-93 - Toni Kukoc
1993-94 - Michael Jordan or Arvydas Sabonis
1994-95 - Arvydas Sabonis
1995-96 - Tim Duncan or Dominique Wilkins
1996-97 - Tim Duncan
1997-98 - Andrei Kirilenko
1998-99 - Elton Brand or Tyus Edney or Michael Jordan or Andrei Kirilenko
1999-00 - Pau Gasol or Michael Jordan or Andrei Kirilenko
2000-01 - Pau Gasol or Manu Ginobili or Michael Jordan or Andrei Kirilenko
2001-02 - Dejan Bodiroga or Yao Ming
2002-03 - Carmelo Anthony or Dejan Bodiroga or LeBron James or Dwyane Wade
2003-04 - Juan Carlos Navarro or Emeka Okafor
2004-05 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Juan Carlos Navarro or Theodoros Papaloukas or Luis Scola
2005-06 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Juan Carlos Navarro or Theodoros Papaloukas or Luis Scola
2006-07 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Kevin Durant or Greg Oden or Theodoros Papaloukas or Luis Scola
2007-08 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Kevin Love or Theodoros Papaloukas or Derrick Rose
2008-09 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Erazem Lorbek or Juan Carlos Navarro or Theodoros Papaloukas or Tiago Splitter
2009-10 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Erazem Lorbek or Juan Carlos Navarro or Tiago Splitter
2010-11 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Kyrie Irving or Erazem Lorbek or Nikola Mirotic or Juan Carlos Navarro or Ricky Rubio or Vassilis Spanoulis
2011-12 - Anthony Davis or Andrei Kirilenko or Erazem Lorbek or Nikola Mirotic or Juan Carlos Navarro or Vassilis Spanoulis
2012-13 - Nikola Mirotic or Juan Carlos Navarro or Vassilis Spanoulis
2013-14

Any European guys you'd add remove in some of those seasons?

Fiba basketball
02-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Euroleague - I started a thread on RealGM about the best players not in the NBA in a given season. Here's the list we've got so far:

1949-50 - Bob Kurland
1950-51 - Bob Kurland
1957-58 - Armenak Alachachan or Wilt Chamberlain or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins or Oscar Robertson
1958-59 - Armenak Alachachan or Wilt Chamberlain or Ivo Daneu or Janis Krumins or Oscar Robertson
1961-62 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Janis Krumins or Earl Manigault
1962-63 - Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Janis Krumins or Earl Manigault
1963-64 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1964-65 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1965-66 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1966-67 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1967-68 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Armenak Alachachan or Ivo Daneu or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1968-69 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Miles Aiken or Ivo Daneu or Sergey Belov or Connie Hawkins or Earl Manigault
1969-70 - Miles Aiken or Sergey Belov or Ivo Daneu or Mel Daniels or Spencer Haywood or Earl Manigault
1971-72 - Sergey Belov or Julius Erving or Artis Gilmore or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse or Bill Walton
1972-73 - Sergey Belov or Julius Erving or Artis Gilmore or Earl Manigault or Bob Morse or Bill Walton
1977-78 - Larry Bird or Kresmir Cosic or Drazen Dalipagic or Mirza Delibasic or Bob Morse
1978-79 - Larry Bird or Drazen Dalipagic or Mirza Delibasic or Fernando Martin or Bob Morse or Vladimir Thachenko
1979-80 - Kresmir Cosic or Drazen Dalipagic or Mirza Delibasic or Fernando Martin or Bob Morse
1984-85 - Fernando Martin or Drazen Petrovic or Arvydas Sabonis or Oscar Schmidt
1987-88 - Nikos Galis or Fernando Martin or David Robinson or Arvydas Sabonis or Oscar Schmidt
1992-93 - Toni Kukoc
1996-97 - Tim Duncan
2004-05 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Juan Carlos Navarro or Theodoros Papaloukas or Luis Scola
2005-06 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Juan Carlos Navarro or Theodoros Papaloukas or Luis Scola
2006-07 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Kevin Durant or Greg Oden or Theodoros Papaloukas or Luis Scola
2007-08 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Kevin Love or Theodoros Papaloukas or Derrick Rose
2008-09 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Erazem Lorbek or Juan Carlos Navarro or Theodoros Papaloukas or Tiago Splitter
2009-10 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Erazem Lorbek or Juan Carlos Navarro or Tiago Splitter
2010-11 - Dimitris Diamantidis or Kyrie Irving or Erazem Lorbek or Nikola Mirotic or Juan Carlos Navarro or Ricky Rubio or Vassilis Spanoulis
2011-12 - Anthony Davis or Andrei Kirilenko or Erazem Lorbek or Nikola Mirotic or Juan Carlos Navarro or Vassilis Spanoulis
2013-14

Rubio was never even the best pg on his team and in 2010-2011 was the reason Barcelona didn't make it to F4 so I don't know why you have him.

Mirotic was never one of the top players in Europe, maybe he gets there this season but he clearly doesn't deserve to be named in otheres.

In 2009/2010 you need to have Teodosic, he was EL MVP and was named best European player over Gasol,Dirk,Parker.

You overrate players like Kirilenko who later became great but when they were in Europe they still weren't best and it's stupid to call him best in Europe in 1998 because even if he had reached his prime ( which he didn't ) you still have Bodiroga who was better than him and who won world cup MVP that year and yet you only have Bodiroga on one year.

Danilovic and Djordjevic should also be on your list for at least one of the years.

For the end probably the biggest name you forget Radivoj Korac. I don't know if you heard of him but he is something like European Wilt, he still holds record for most pts in a game in Europe ( 99pts ). He died in a car crach when he was going home after a friendly game and since he was such a great player a league was named in his honor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIBA_Kora%C4%87_Cup

duskovujosevic
02-01-2014, 08:47 AM
Dragan Kicanovic, Miki Berkowitz are missing

Euroleague
02-01-2014, 12:45 PM

1949-50 - Bob Kurland
1950-51 - Bob Kurland
1992-93 - Toni Kukoc
1996-97 - Tim Duncan
2013-14

The list of guys from Europe is ridiculous to be honest. No offense. I appreciate the effort you have made. But it's not close to accurate though.

Mirotic, Rubio, Lorbek, Splitter, Scola, Pau Gasol, Tyus Edney, Dominique Wilkins, Kirilenko in '98-01???................

You can start by removing all of them from your list of guys from Europe. Then you can go back and try to figure again and see what you come up with and we can look at it again, and go from there.

No way in hell should any of those guys appear on this list though. And especially Rubio, who was actually a bad player in Euroleague. Mirotic is extremely overrated. He's a very good player, but he's the softest big man I have ever seen just about. He should not be on that list anywhere.

Wilkins should only be there by his name and reputation and how great of a player he was - like that he was a great player and was not in the NBA at the time. He wasn't really the best player not in the NBA at the time, so it does not actually fit.

You are missing, just from what immediately stands out........Sarunas Jasikevicius and Ramunas Siskauskas. They were at various times the best player in Europe.

Teodosic for maybe that one big year he had in 2010.

I would throw in names like Sasha Djordjevic (probably the best point guard in Europe at one time in the 90s), Sasha Danilovic and Carlton Myers - guys that were big players for a while in Europe in the 90s, rivaling as the top shooting guards.

Dragan Kicanovic - at one time probably the best shooting guard in Europe in the early 80s.

I don't know, I am thinking surely there are some Italian and Spanish players being left off here. Just from all those Italian and Spanish clubs back in the day there were some great players........I mean like Epi, and Juan Antonio Corbalan and Emiliano Rodriguez...

now that I think about it, there are players like Radivoj Korac, etc. Korac was the best player in Europe in his time in the 60s.

Even there are players like Antonello Riva that was biggest scorer in Italy, or Alberto Herreros that was the top scorer in Spain, or there was Panagiotis Giannakis that was the biggest scorer in FIBA Europe, and he is the 2nd biggest scorer ever in FIBA worldwide, after just Oscar Schmidt.

Etc. It's hard to say, because you are doing this year by year, I mean not even just by eras. I mean year by year, there are so many players.

But I can say DEFINITELY then you have to get some guys like Jasikevicius and Siskauskas in there because just in recent years they were for sure at some point the best player in Europe.

Epi was probably the best player in Europe at one point in the 80s, Korac was the best player in Europe at one time in the 60s. There are guys like Emiliano Rodriguez, Wayne Brabender, Wally Sr., Miki Berkovitz, etc.

Also, Sarunas Marciulionis in the 80s..........we can't forget him. He would have to absolutely be on this list.